Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think the big difference is understanding when something is just a part of your life vs your entire identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wut

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

An archives account might not be a bad idea, assuming the archives are still around, work, and don't require radium gypsy code levels of knowledge to read. If nothing else, chock it up as a robotic spine donation to the 'tax.

poo poo, you don't even need that. They're public records in the Library of Congress. I might dig around a little later for them if no one else does.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

Looking forward to forums poster UP THE BUM NO BABY being cited in an academic paper.

If it doesn't happen here I'll be a little self serving and try and get myself published this summer, and I may cite myself on the forums for it

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Loden Taylor posted:

Anecdotally, I'd say this is the case. The military dialect isn't just the jargon and acronyms, it's also the liberal use of profanity.

Though then I suppose the question is whether the it's a case of service members of whichever gender adopting the military's mode of speaking, if the military is giving them freedom and permission to adopt more profane language, or if the language is inherently male and females feel pressured to adopt it to fit in. Or some combination of the three.

gently caress it man, who gives a poo poo what people think about the way that you use profanity. there's no rule anywhere that says you can't curse or you won't be allowed to be remembered by history or something. plus, life is short, use the language that suits you best.