Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I post in gip because I, for all intents and purposes, try not to interact with anything military related in my day-to-day. I mentally checked out of the military months before I actually got out. I get annoyed by people who leave the service, but never actually leave the service mentally. They are always stuck there and everything in their life revolves around that period where they wore a uniform, even years later. “When I was in the military” is a phrase that will cause me to immediately roll my eyes.

This forum lets me interact with people who understand what it’s like to be in the military, and understand how that can really gently caress with you. While I try to avoid it as much as possible in my life outside of the forums, it’s still something I want to be able to reach out to if necessary. Plus, sometimes I just get lonely and there are a bunch of assholes here I can talk to.

As far as the taboos, I grew up on SA. I’ve been posting here since I was 16 (31 now). Fag, retard, even the n-word were pretty regular about 15 years ago (the n-word was mostly in FYAD). The forum was basically an edgy middle schooler. It’s grown up and most of us have as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

you're looking at it as an outsider, so it's easier for you to spot any nuances we may have in how we communicate. we are embedded in it and it just is what it is. it would be like me trying to describe the sound of my own voice, only i've never heard it anywhere except out of my own mouth.

e: i don't want that to sound unhelpful. you've piqued my interest in what you're doing. i just want to offer some insight about why it would be difficult for me personally (and maybe others) to answer your question.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My five years in the military were no more or less important than my five years in high school.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wroughtirony posted:

Friend, I hope you work for more than ten seconds at a time and don't fall apart at the slightest provocation.

I've been purging those things from my household for over a decade and they still keep popping up like a bad penny.

burn the house down. it is haunted.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's something I hadn't considered the fact we don't have a rank sstructure in the forum, and the dick waving doesn't happen like other boards. Grover the exception.

yeah but still

hang all nobles

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i think it was still an a/t thread in 2008 or 2009

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A Bad Poster posted:

Because we do a good job job of convincing them not to join up.

And then there is mustang. Who as far as I know has been “getting out” for like two years now.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Flikken posted:

I love Mustang and Vasdus. They serve as bulwarks to remind people hey ummm, look at this.

I am only 95% sure that Mustang is a real person and 5% sure he is another IDR except instead of trying to be Rambo he went the complete opposite direction and is trolling us by living the dumbest military experience possible.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wroughtirony posted:

So the paper is done. I ended up writing just about GIP because by the time I got down to explaining what a Lowtax was, I was in too deep to give FB a similar treatment without running onto 20 pages. I did not get to use nearly as many of the awesome quotes as you guys gave me as I wanted. If anyone wants to read the whole bloody thing I'll send it to you.

tl;dr: GIP is an example of a hybrid online community that uses novel applications of written language to meet the needs of its users in ways that face-to-face communities cannot.

You’ve got me curious.

RCfnova @gmail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I had an economics/accounting paper I worked on as an undergrad published in an academic journal. It’s not an incredibly high bar to clear if you’re willing to submit it and make the requested revisions. Most people just don’t try.

E: I got your email and I will be giving it a read sometime after work today.