Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

I've heard a variation on this where we intimidated Germany into surrendering by nuking Japan, and then Japan got revenge on us by bombing Pearl Harbor.

Like we called up Hitler and said "hey Adolf, look east, check this poo poo out," and then just dropped a couple of atomic bombs on some random people we weren't even at war with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Without conducting a demographic study of GIP there's no way of knowing the percentage of women. But I would wager that the women vets/servicemembers that do post here are probably influenced more by military culture than anonymity in the way they speak.

Anecdotally, I'd say this is the case. The military dialect isn't just the jargon and acronyms, it's also the liberal use of profanity.

Though then I suppose the question is whether the it's a case of service members of whichever gender adopting the military's mode of speaking, if the military is giving them freedom and permission to adopt more profane language, or if the language is inherently male and females feel pressured to adopt it to fit in. Or some combination of the three.