Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

The Valley Stared posted:

Isn't the unofficial forum motto "I am deeply conflicted about my service" or something like that?

The motto is, "I don't believe in anything I'm just here for the violence," you loving nub. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

I thought it was "SMDFTB"? Or is that more a mantra?

I think it's more of a shibboleth.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

If I can manage to work in "Suck My Dick From The Back" as a 'Shibboleth' I feel like I should get some sort of extra credit....

You should work it into the title. It will definitely draw eyes and get you some readers.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I think the big difference is understanding when something is just a part of your life vs your entire identity

Yep. It's this.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Thanks. I'm having fun writing the history/background part of the paper. Explaining what SA is to an academic audience is a pretty hilarious endeavor.

You absolutely need an archives account. Because, in my opinion at least, the old A/T thread is closer to Current Day GiP then early GiP is so if you want to be able to draw narrative lines for the forum's culture you really need to start back there.

A lot of people seem to forget that early GiP was the punchline of an FYAD/LF joke which is part of the reason why Grover was the first "mod" (though his "authorities" were closer to an IK's than a mod's and his official title was like "Chief Senior Master Sargent" or something like that).