Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Say what you will about mid-death WCW but going full Mortal Kombat made Mortis and Glacier the two most played characters on my copy of WCW/NWO Revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

animeluva1 posted:

I have to bring up Kazuaki Takeda to this thread. He designs and manufactures ring gear. His website is sparse, but he updates his Instagram more frequently.

Kazuaki is the go-to for Roppongi 3K. You can also see his work on Jay White (his white tights), Marty Scrull, Kenny Omega, and Akira Tozawa.

This reminds me Tozawa's shorts look is good I like it.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shout out to MassRafTer in the MOTY thread for introducing me to the best wrestler with the best gear.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Titus O'Neil's trunks always look too small and he would really benefit from thigh-length trunks.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Can we also talk about facepaint in here? Surfer Sting and Tama Tonga's are my personal faves.

Edit:

Additionally, my favorite gear was early WCW Jericho. His tights were always cool.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 17, 2019

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Choom Gangster posted:

Can we also talk about facepaint in here? Surfer Sting and Tama Tonga's are my personal faves.

Edit:

Additionally, my favorite gear was early WCW Jericho. His tights were always cool.

Speaking of this pic, Ultimo Dragon has great gear

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Choom Gangster posted:

Can we also talk about facepaint in here?
Yes!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

WatermelonGun posted:

uhhhhhh did vince really change their name to the viking experience

best part is the ring announcer not realizing the card had 2 lines on it so he goes "The Vikings.....Experience"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Choom Gangster posted:

Edit:

One of my favorite Jericho stories (possibly apocryphal, given the source) is that he lost his long tights during a flight, switched to trunks on short notice, then Vince saw him and was like "goddamn where have you been hiding those beefy thighs" and he wore the trunks ever since then.

You could do a massive effortpost on Jericho's gear and the way it perfectly matches his evolving character over the years. When he went to New Japan and became a crazy dad brawler he just wore regular pants, and it works so well.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
no discussion of Rick Rude's undisputed all-time superiority in the ring gear department should be complete without:

airbrushing a championship belt onto your tights the night you win said belt

and putting it on all your tights for subsequent defenses.

Rude was the best and this thread can basically be closed now

[Hennig's two-tone fluorescent & black singlets were cool too]

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
One of the underrated heel wardrobe moves was when Randy Orton would have his tights fitted to show a little rear end cheek just to piss people off

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember Cody Rhodes saying he didn't wear kneepads specifically because it looked weird and made people mad

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Cody Rhodes saying he didn't wear kneepads specifically because it looked weird and made people mad

It made people who liked Cody Rhodes being able to wrestle mad every time he did a loving moonsault so I'll give him that

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Cavauro posted:

trunks should have a hole in it for the penis to hang out of them.

:hmmyes:

That would be a great babyface gimmick. He just wants to wrestle free with his hog out but all these drat heels are too insecure and homophobic to grapple with him.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

super macho dude posted:

:hmmyes:

That would be a great babyface gimmick. He just wants to wrestle free with his hog out but all these drat heels are too insecure and homophobic to grapple with him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
A grecian wrestler all oily and nude wondering why no one wants to grab him

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I just wanted to get to the end of this thread to post about this, lol. If a wrestler doesn't wear kneepads or elbow pads, they just... don't look like a wrestler.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I liked when Jeff Hardy wrestled in JNCOs and a stripper's shirt.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

These tights on Bill Dundee helped fuel a parking lot fight between he and Randy Savage during the Memphis-ICW war. Dundee tried to go for his gun and Savage broke his jaw.

("Macho Man" trunks, if it's unclear.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stealth Tiger posted:

I just wanted to get to the end of this thread to post about this, lol. If a wrestler doesn't wear kneepads or elbow pads, they just... don't look like a wrestler.

they just look like a big pervert

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dashing Cody Rhodes was such a good gimmick and his face mask and mustache were also good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Are you disrespecting the no-kneepads look? On RUSEV DAY?

You gotta have some pretty beefy legs to make it look good though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Matt riddle not having any pads or boots always makes him look kinda naked.

I feel like it’s inevitable that he’s going to break his foot or something in a really gnarly way in-ring some day. Like a “Sid’s leg breaking” level injury

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It really bothers me when wrestlers don't wear wrist tape. I think Matt Riddle is the closest to getting away with it because he doesn't have anything beyond shorts, but it's still mildly distracting to me.

Also, glad there is another thread for me to remind everyone that Alex Riley wore fake boots that slipped over wrestling shoes.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, glad there is another thread for me to remind everyone that Alex Riley wore fake boots that slipped over wrestling shoes.

Ugh thanks for reminding me of Alex Riley first thing in the morning, jerk.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Talk of ring gear makes me thing of Jeff Jarret's weird rear end strip shirts:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It really bothers me when wrestlers don't wear wrist tape. I think Matt Riddle is the closest to getting away with it because he doesn't have anything beyond shorts, but it's still mildly distracting to me.

it bothers me when a wrestler angrily and dramatically removes their wrist tape and then never sells their wrist getting hurt from throwing punches without adequate support and stability

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Dacap posted:

I feel like it’s inevitable that he’s going to break his foot or something in a really gnarly way in-ring some day. Like a “Sid’s leg breaking” level injury

Isn't that what got Rusev wearing boots? Obviously it wasn't gruesome, but I remember he came back from an injury and suddenly had boots

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Elbow pads are worthless. I never found a pair that fit my skeletal frame but I cant say I noticed.

Also my "gear" was cut up jeans and a t shirt I wrote on.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Rick Rude wins this obviously, but also

Mel Mudkiper posted:

best ring gear will always be thigh length trunks

this is the correct take

I hate Delirious' gear. When I was a kid, Legion of Doom shoulder pads were the most badass poo poo I ever saw. Also original Kane mask.

remember naked Mideon? lol

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I cant imagine how terrible Golddusts onesie is to wrestle in.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Beer_Suitcase posted:

He has to cover himself in baby powder or else how the hell does he get out of that thing after a match

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i hate pretty much all variations on 2000s black trashbag indie gear, but super dragon is easily my least favorite, especially when he got old and fat

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Beer_Suitcase posted:

The worse was the one he wore on his debut. Apparently they hadn't realized, or I at least I hope they hadn't, that it was somewhat transparent on camera.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Low Desert Punk posted:

i hate pretty much all variations on 2000s black trashbag indie gear, but super dragon is easily my least favorite, especially when he got old and fat

Super Dragon ruled because his gear looked like a kid's lovely Party City ninja costume that he insists is also pajamas.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Tamina looks like shes wearing a party city Nia costume.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Speaking of Nia, let us not forget the horrendous gear she wore on her NXT debut

Why someone looked at a plus-sized woman wrestler and decided on "skintight outfit with bright colors that calls attention to her weight in the worst possible ways" is beyond me.

She immediately ditched that for the black leather, which is still generic but at least doesn't look like a failed attempt at Sexy Magic Carpet cosplay.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I thought that outfit was cool, reminded me of Raiden from fatal fury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Benne posted:

Speaking of Nia, let us not forget the horrendous gear she wore on her NXT debut

Why someone looked at a plus-sized woman wrestler and decided on "skintight outfit with bright colors that calls attention to her weight in the worst possible ways" is beyond me.

She immediately ditched that for the black leather, which is still generic but at least doesn't look like a failed attempt at Sexy Magic Carpet cosplay.

Her WM outfit this year was terrible too. Who looks at a big lady like that and says 'what she needs is brightly colored flaps on her hips to draw the eye to her midsection'.

Edit: Or the outfit from her official cardboard standee:

She badly needs a better costume designer.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 19, 2019