Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, I suppose Tony could also INSIST he wrestle in trunks at Double Or Nothing, but I doubt it. (Actually, is Jericho working the Jacksonville show, do we know?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
I'm honestly a big fan of Low Ki's Agent 47 Hitman ring gear. It's just a shame the look is being wasted on Low Ki.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Let's be honest though, that look is basically the Big Bubba Rogers/Mr Hughes look on a tiny wrestler.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Taintrunner posted:

His major appeal was his scrappy, underdog demeanor. It did a lot to help sell that gimmick, especially with the straight edge Xs sharpie'd on them, making it a more personal and unique appearance. Compare that to say, Undertaker/Dreamer and the cheesy-rear end MMA gloves.

I thought the x was supposed to be like the way they mark fighters' tape before a boxing /mma match once its been inspected.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sugar Blaster posted:

I'm honestly a big fan of Low Ki's Agent 47 Hitman ring gear. It's just a shame the look is being wasted on Low Ki.

He's gotta get his poo poo in, man.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Let's be honest though, that look is basically the Big Bubba Rogers/Mr Hughes look on a tiny wrestler.

speaking of, I liked Remy Marcel and Jack Manley's gear in OWE when they looked like greaseball 70s detectives

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm now thinking back on ECW ring gear of Mikey Whipwreck and Public Enemy. It was awful, but kinda worked in that environment.

Public Enemy's WCW gear had to be handmade. I think they wore some of the same gear in ECW, but what they had in WCW looked like a preschooler's Halloween costume.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the reason it worked was because it made them look like 90s era Delco methheads and guess what

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mikey Whipwreck's entire gimmick was being a D&D nerd who was way out of his league, and his gear worked with that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Endless Mike posted:

Mikey Whipwreck's entire gimmick was being a D&D nerd who was way out of his league, and his gear worked with that.

I knew a kid back in the day who no joke owned that same shirt

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

How many wrestlers do cosplay-style gear with any regularity? I know Rey and Alexa have both done a number of superhero references in their ring gear. I can think of a few that just cribbed a look from someone (the aforementioned Low-Ki Hitman gear for instance) but who else varies it up? Do any wrestlers do tribute gear of other wrestlers?

It's not strictly ring gear but overall appearance, I feel like Ember Moon has several good looks mashed together into something less than a sum of its parts. She's some kind of gladiator werewolf vampire, I guess? She could do any of those individually and look great, they all allow for sexy AND tough in ring gear - sexy tuff gladiator, sexy tuff werewolf, sexy tuff vampire. There's just too much going on there visually imo. Little girls are going to need to buy 3 halloween costumes to dress up as her.

I'm surprised Naomi hasn't been mentioned, her ring gear alone is just above-average but her overall look with her entrance and gimmick and changing the title belt to fit her aesthetic are all great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I knew a kid back in the day who no joke owned that same shirt

Was he in your D&D group?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Was he in your D&D group?

... he was the DM

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

How many wrestlers do cosplay-style gear with any regularity? I know Rey and Alexa have both done a number of superhero references in their ring gear. I can think of a few that just cribbed a look from someone (the aforementioned Low-Ki Hitman gear for instance) but who else varies it up? Do any wrestlers do tribute gear of other wrestlers?

It's not strictly ring gear but overall appearance, I feel like Ember Moon has several good looks mashed together into something less than a sum of its parts. She's some kind of gladiator werewolf vampire, I guess? She could do any of those individually and look great, they all allow for sexy AND tough in ring gear - sexy tuff gladiator, sexy tuff werewolf, sexy tuff vampire. There's just too much going on there visually imo. Little girls are going to need to buy 3 halloween costumes to dress up as her.

I'm surprised Naomi hasn't been mentioned, her ring gear alone is just above-average but her overall look with her entrance and gimmick and changing the title belt to fit her aesthetic are all great.

It's a one-off but Becky cosplayed Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn at Summerslam last year

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Cedric and Ricochet both did Miles Morales Spider-Man gear. Rousey did White Power Ranger gear once. Sasha has that Wonder Woman gear.

Seth has done a few cosplay gears, his GoT and Thanos gear come to mind.

Gargano also often had comic inspired gear. I remember him having Iron Man and X-men inspired outfits.

Dacap fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 23, 2019

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Leo Onozaki has the best bad gear today.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Dacap posted:

Cedric and Ricochet both did Miles Morales Spider-Man gear. Rousey did White Power Ranger gear once. Sasha has that Wonder Woman gear.

Seth has done a few cosplay gears, his GoT and Thanos gear come to mind.

Gargano also often had comic inspired gear. I remember him having Iron Man and X-men inspired outfits.

Nearly every TakeOver he's done, Gargano has different comicbook-inspired gear.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The Punisher one looks like it’s puking.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Rousey did White Power

Yeah I could see that.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

new day are always doing cosplay, like these saiyan entrance getups from wrestlemania

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Peanut President posted:

new day are always doing cosplay, like these saiyan entrance getups from wrestlemania

Also the FFXIV Bard (Woods), Samurai (E), and Red Mage (Kofi) gear from a different Wrestlemania:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

dromal phrenia posted:

Way to forget Finn's entire demon character evolved out of him cosplaying a Venom tribute

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Also the FFXIV Bard (Woods), Samurai (E), and Red Mage (Kofi) gear from a different Wrestlemania:

It’s moogle and chocobo!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the biggest representation to me of how much video games have become normalized is that when I was a kid my little sister saw me playing FF3(6) and wanted a moogle like Mog for her birthday and of course no one was selling them so I bought a white teddy bear and attached bat wings and a little doodlie puff to the top and its like now a stuffed moogle is at Wrestlemania

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

dromal phrenia posted:

It’s moogle and chocobo!!

This was great but Cole having to say Vegeta when they did the Dragon Ball costumes will always be funnier to me

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Bam Bam Bigelow has the best ring gear.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dangerous Person posted:

This was great but Cole having to say Vegeta when they did the Dragon Ball costumes will always be funnier to me

Cole putting on his Serious Journalist glasses and googling 'How to pronounce Dragon Ball names".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Mr. Perfect's Towel belongs in here. It was such good gear.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 24, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Push El Burrito posted:

Mr. Perfect's Towel belongs in here. It was such good gear.

Mr Perfects gum is higher on the list than the towel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

Mr Perfects gum is higher on the list than the towel

broke: towel
woke: gum
bespoke: pencil

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Burt Buckle posted:

Bam Bam Bigelow has the best ring gear.

Can we discuss whether tattoos count as part of ring gear? Very few wrestlers are going to get a tattoo specifically for their gimmick, but sometimes their tattoos play a strong role in their appearance.

Bam Bam's flame tattoos on his scalp are a good example :swoon:

Randy Orton's stupid tribal bullshit fit very well for his old douchey persona, and the skulls, while still stupid, fit his newer violent persona. Also it got us the great clip where he explains his tattoos and it's just "This one's a skull.... that one's a skull..."

Batista's belly button tattoo looked dumb as gently caress originally, and iirc it featured prominently on his titantron which is just bizarre to me. I sorta warmed to it when he had the spotlight gimmick though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dromal phrenia posted:

Kenny Omega has done, just in the last few years, Terminator, Overwatch, and absolutely everything about this in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTghh7_vV9U

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kenny should have cosplayed as that sweaty dinosaur nerd since that's his real analogue

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

dromal phrenia posted:

Tommy Dreamer has polka dots in honour of Dusty. Beth’s hairstyle and headband at Wrestlemania was inspired by Chyna. Big Show’s singlet looks like Andre’s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Goldust had Darth Maul inspired faceprint.

Hell, knock offs (The Rockers, Demolition, The Powers of Pain) be considered a form of cosplay.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Web Jew.0 posted:

Tommy Dreamer has polka dots in honour of Dusty. Beth’s hairstyle and headband at Wrestlemania was inspired by Chyna. Big Show’s singlet looks like Andre’s.

Well, it used to. Now he just wears a regular singlet with rah-rah pro-military poo poo on it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, it used to. Now he just wears a regular singlet with rah-rah pro-military poo poo on it.

The first one was a tribute to his dad. The second is a tribute to his mom, Major Gunns.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If you ever wear an event shirt for the event you're wrestling on as entrance or ring attire, I'm never going to care about you again. Tommy Dreamer's gear is the most unforgivable in all of wrestling by a wide margin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you ever wear an event shirt for the event you're wrestling on as entrance or ring attire, I'm never going to care about you again. Tommy Dreamer's gear is the most unforgivable in all of wrestling by a wide margin.

Him wearing the basic ECW shirt worked as far as him 'being' ECW went, but afterwards it was pretty bad, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think Tommy Dreamer got away with it back in the day since his whole gimmick was being an everyman schlub, which played well with ECW crowds who got behind him as an underdog.

He uh, doesn't quite get away with it today now that he's supposed to be a grizzled legend here to Teach These Kids a Lesson (which apparently means still wearing the dumb polka dots when Dusty's been dead for like 4 years at this point).