Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

I think Tommy Dreamer got away with it back in the day since his whole gimmick was being an everyman schlub, which played well with ECW crowds who got behind him as an underdog.
Eh, I feel like him wearing a shirt is both grandfathered in and a mercy, considering his shape these days. The polka dots are, however, not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
People wrestling in a T-shirt is a very controversial topic, but as a fair man, I'd prefer to go on a case-by-case basis as to whether it's a deliberate artistic choice or just trying to hide a beer gut.

In the case of Tommy Dreamer, I think we can all agree that nobody ever needs to see him shirtless, even in the 90s.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Benne posted:

In the case of Tommy Dreamer, I think we can all agree that nobody ever needs to see him shirtless, even in the 90s.
In the early 90s, he needed a paperbag with cut-out eyes more than a shirt.

Of course, suspenders and a pink singlet are very on-topic, too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Benne posted:

People wrestling in a T-shirt is a very controversial topic, but as a fair man, I'd prefer to go on a case-by-case basis as to whether it's a deliberate artistic choice or just trying to hide a beer gut.

There's so much gear you can wear to hide that though. Tons of fat wrestlers have gotten by with singlets and pants or whatever. Even Bigelow would wear what was essentially a t-shirt and pants but it looked like gear, not something you grabbed off the merch stand on the way into the ring. Even Owens at least rips the arms off his shorts and has those shorts and kickpads as well

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
balls mahoney wrestling in immolation shirts was sick

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Konnan had two distinct periods of awful gear - his initial run in Mexico where he had lovely braids and Easter Egg-colored singlets, and then the WCW run where his pants sagged so low that he could barely move.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

dromal phrenia posted:

How many wrestlers do cosplay-style gear with any regularity? I know Rey and Alexa have both done a number of superhero references in their ring gear. I can think of a few that just cribbed a look from someone (the aforementioned Low-Ki Hitman gear for instance) but who else varies it up? Do any wrestlers do tribute gear of other wrestlers?

It's not strictly ring gear but overall appearance, I feel like Ember Moon has several good looks mashed together into something less than a sum of its parts. She's some kind of gladiator werewolf vampire, I guess? She could do any of those individually and look great, they all allow for sexy AND tough in ring gear - sexy tuff gladiator, sexy tuff werewolf, sexy tuff vampire. There's just too much going on there visually imo. Little girls are going to need to buy 3 halloween costumes to dress up as her.

I'm surprised Naomi hasn't been mentioned, her ring gear alone is just above-average but her overall look with her entrance and gimmick and changing the title belt to fit her aesthetic are all great.

The OGTs did full cosplay at Rey de Reyes this year. Volador Jr does it in big matches. Niebla Roja is a He-Man cosplay 24/7

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

flashy_mcflash posted:

If you ever wear an event shirt for the event you're wrestling on as entrance or ring attire, I'm never going to care about you again. Tommy Dreamer's gear is the most unforgivable in all of wrestling by a wide margin.

I like it, because in my head his gimmick is "oh, Tommy showed up again, well if we give him a t-shirt, some hot dogs, and a place to sleep we can put him in the undercard I guess"

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CombineThresher posted:

Konnan had two distinct periods of awful gear - his initial run in Mexico where he had lovely braids and Easter Egg-colored singlets, and then the WCW run where his pants sagged so low that he could barely move.

How quickly we forget...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's by pure chance that I didn't blow both my arms off trying to pretend to be Max Moon with roman candles as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

How quickly we forget...

Max Moon is too charming in a B-movie sort of way for me to file under bad ring gear.

Now Konnan's mango suit, on the other hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3yK7L4wek