Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

pedro0930 posted:

We kind of have that with Ultimate Admiral.

Either Ultimate Admiral is very different than I thought or you might be thinking of something besides Terra Invicta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, didn't know that UA was about a long war against Aliens.

Terra Invicta counts as a type of grog game, right?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Absolutely

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The grogiest.

Sure, it might not be about real world history, but it does have like a billion different drive types based on real world theoretical concepts for a totally different type of obsessive fan.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 12, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's not a grog game. It's a fantasy game with made up systema for how the world works or what decides and affects outcomes of war and economy. It's a vampire the masquerade game if anything

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And it takes a shockingly long time for stuff to happen. I just shelved it pending a major content update.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
RTW and UA’s ship designers are both better than TI’s at least

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It's not a grog game. It's a fantasy game with made up systema for how the world works or what decides and affects outcomes of war and economy. It's a vampire the masquerade game if anything

Its grog, so is children of a dead earth

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Fuligin posted:

Its grog, so is children of a dead earth

Complexity isn't grog, warfare-y simulationism is. Can't be simulatory if you don't go to far too much effort to make the rules realistic. It's the earth portion with how it represents armies in particular that makes Terra Invicta not grog enough

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is Out of the Park Baseball a grog game? :thunk:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I fully support this thread including OOTP and Football Manager into its remit. Clay Dreslough just released Baseball Mogul 2024 at the end of March.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I fully support this thread including OOTP and Football Manager into its remit. Clay Dreslough just released Baseball Mogul 2024 at the end of March.

FM is absolutely a grog game unless grog games must by definition be wargames. That game is eerily realistic sometimes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i wish there was an American football mgmt sim like OOTP :( theres that college one on steam which is ok

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

RTW and UA’s ship designers are both better than TI’s at least

Once I figured out that I could right click to get a table in TI it was much more straightforward. Though I wish the engines would tell you what type of powerplant they needed and vice versa in the ship design screen.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The only grog thing about TI is the realistic orbital model, everything else is extremely abstracted.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

habeasdorkus posted:

Once I figured out that I could right click to get a table in TI it was much more straightforward. Though I wish the engines would tell you what type of powerplant they needed and vice versa in the ship design screen.

The engines list that on the current Gamepass version anyway. What do you right-click to get a table though?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've stopped bothering with the extra training unless I'm playing Japan with their reduced training cost tbh. Even gunnery training is only supposed to give you an extra 10% accuracy, but 30% increased maintenance costs can seriously impact the number of ships you can maintain and your replacement build schedule.

I'm not seeing a tooltip about how much the bonus is, but as Italy I've been consistently outshooting France and Austria-Hungary by a noticeable margin.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

How does baseball mogul compare to ootp? feel free to shoot me a pm if its not ok to post itt

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I'm not seeing a tooltip about how much the bonus is, but as Italy I've been consistently outshooting France and Austria-Hungary by a noticeable margin.

The bonus is a +10 to your roll. Most good factor adds a +10 to your roll, like good crew, fire control within their effective range...etc. However, these are added up to fight penalties such as...going too fast, turning your ship at all, taking any fire, having more than one ship shooting at the target, etc. It's hard to know how much effective accuracy you are getting, I am guessing something like 1% CTH under good condition (when there's not too many negative factors).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

How does baseball mogul compare to ootp? feel free to shoot me a pm if its not ok to post itt

I have not played Baseball Mogul in... over a decade, though I did pick up last year's OOTP when I was going through my "watch Moneyball and get enamored with baseball for a month" phase.

To my 2013-era recollection, Mogul didn't have as many of the Sabermetric-grade stats as OOTP did, and it was still in a heavily Windows 95-based interface which made certain multitasking duties a slog, such quickly comparing players. I don't know how much it has improved since.

That said, I know older versions of Mogul are given away for free, and it's a great way to get into this ecosystem without dropping a dime if [like me] you don't have any particular connection with IRL teams or players.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm seeing a lot more enemy class names in bold text than I am seeing friendly ship names in bold text.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have not played Baseball Mogul in... over a decade, though I did pick up last year's OOTP when I was going through my "watch Moneyball and get enamored with baseball for a month" phase.

To my 2013-era recollection, Mogul didn't have as many of the Sabermetric-grade stats as OOTP did, and it was still in a heavily Windows 95-based interface which made certain multitasking duties a slog, such quickly comparing players. I don't know how much it has improved since.

That said, I know older versions of Mogul are given away for free, and it's a great way to get into this ecosystem without dropping a dime if [like me] you don't have any particular connection with IRL teams or players.

Thank you!! Im the opposite actually, longtime OOTP player/baseball fan so Mogul probably wouldnt appeal as much but good to know to reccomend to friends bc OOTP can def be intimidating

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019
So, what's your guys opinions on the games by https://strategygamestudio.com?

Have anyone tried any of them yet?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Complexity isn't grog, warfare-y simulationism is. Can't be simulatory if you don't go to far too much effort to make the rules realistic. It's the earth portion with how it represents armies in particular that makes Terra Invicta not grog enough

Come on, part of the essence of grog is far too much simulationist effort on one thing and complete abstraction on another, artillery changes performance depending on air pressure in the hex but we'll use the atoll invasion modelling for all ground combat, that's peak grog right there.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

mllaneza posted:

It's specified in the manual.

It's also possible you managed to get some other accuracy/fire control techs that neither of those have got yet, or they haven't upgraded their ships with the latest fire control, etc...

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 12, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

Come on, part of the essence of grog is far too much simulationist effort on one thing and complete abstraction on another, artillery changes performance depending on air pressure in the hex but we'll use the atoll invasion modelling for all ground combat, that's peak grog right there.

You wanna battle peak grog? Peak grog is I'll never admit to being wrong about something dumb

and thus by the transitive I am still right!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

d...drat!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

lispy-goon posted:

So, what's your guys opinions on the games by https://strategygamestudio.com?

Have anyone tried any of them yet?

I've tried a couple, they are OK. It's a computerized board game, which is fine, just don't expect a Grigsby experience but more of a streamlined wargame.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SIGSEGV posted:

I like the one in WITE 2 where they just slap-on a flat "prior to 1944, Soviet artillery only requisitions 60% of its ammo, causing them to shoot less often" rule, overriding whatever else the Soviet player might be doing to concentrate their artillery SUs or making sure their logistics are properly set-up

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

mllaneza posted:

I'm seeing a lot more enemy class names in bold text than I am seeing friendly ship names in bold text.

There's a lot of things that could contribute to that, though I frequently like using gunnery training myself. There's definitely a point when it stops becoming worth it, though, as you start shifting to a carrier/missile focus and guns stop being the primary method of doing damage or killing ships.

I think possibly it makes the most sense to use for smaller powers that don't have to bother about covering too many theaters and are going to have small fleets anyways due to a limited budget - making sure the few ships you DO have can punch above their weight can matter if you're carefully husbanding your fewer ships. Big colonial nations with lots of overseas commitments might have issues keeping up their overseas coverage and being ready to fight in multiple theaters if their ships are costing 30% more, on the other hand. So hypothetically I guess it's most valuable with Italy, Japan, Austria Hungary, China, and if you're willing to write off your colonies, Germany.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

It's much simpler, only has the major leagues and a few players in the minors. No 40 man roster shenanigans. Less complex contracts. You can easily sim multiple seasons pretty quick. It's enjoyable, and hasn't changed much in years. It does have some real weird things like Barry Bonds being hardcoded to have lovely health at every age as a kludge to make him get hurt/retire in the mid-2000s versions, or how there's a list of extremely weird names like Bubba Boogerwad that can get created for fictional players in the right/wrong circumstances.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

The engines list that on the current Gamepass version anyway. What do you right-click to get a table though?

Right click on where it says "Drive," "Engine," "Radiator" etc. The only ones that are different are weapons, where you have to right click on the subcategory name like "Missiles" or "Laser." It's very very useful for comparing engines!

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Yooper posted:

I've tried a couple, they are OK. It's a computerized board game, which is fine, just don't expect a Grigsby experience but more of a streamlined wargame.

I see, thanks mate. I'll try one out.

*EDIT:* Do you have any recommendation?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

lispy-goon posted:

I see, thanks mate. I'll try one out.

*EDIT:* Do you have any recommendation?

I have the Finland one and the Hawaii one. I liked them both for a quick fix. Can't really comment on any others.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like the one in WITE 2 where they just slap-on a flat "prior to 1944, Soviet artillery only requisitions 60% of its ammo, causing them to shoot less often" rule, overriding whatever else the Soviet player might be doing to concentrate their artillery SUs or making sure their logistics are properly set-up

See this is how I distinguish between a good grog game and a bad grog game.

All of these games contend with the problem that they can't actually simulate history because even if you somehow get a perfect computer model of reality the player has the benefit of hindsight and will avoid things they know were mistakes.

Good grog games choose to lean into the abstraction in order to make a case that the thing they are building game mechanics around was important in reality. Sid Meier's Gettysburg! is perfect for this - the thesis is that morale was the key issue of the day, you build little morale blocks doing things that intuitively make your guys more likely to be willing to fight and suddenly your army is deployed in a way that looks extremely historical.

Bad grog games do the Gary Grigsby thing where the dev is just trying to simulate everything and making a series of compromises to force things to happen the way they want.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me that WitP is a bad game?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never played witp bc it is just way too complex for my tastes but following the alilckhi pharnakes witp thread was some of the best entertainment a video game has given me so its a great game imo

edit: as soon as i posted this i realized pharnakes was right above me lol. are you doing any other similar follow along witp games rn? or any other games?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is why UoC2 is the best grog game :twisted:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, i get why that exists, because indeed, soviet artillery suffered from an enormous amount of factors that made it chronically inefficient for how many tubes they had, particularly lacking forward observers and comms equipment, especially before 1944, but this is very much a kludge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me that WitP is a bad game?

I'm not trying to tell you WitP is a bad game, I'm trying to tell people who can still be saved