Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pharnakes posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me that WitP is a bad game?

Nobody makes complex machines like WitP any more, as a game, heh heh, no, i'd rather play Empire of the Sun, but i would never want it to be anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to tell me that WitP is a bad game?

It's a true grognard game because we're all sitting around grumbling about it :v:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

ive never played witp bc it is just way too complex for my tastes but following the alilckhi pharnakes witp thread was some of the best entertainment a video game has given me so its a great game imo

edit: as soon as i posted this i realized pharnakes was right above me lol. are you doing any other similar follow along witp games rn? or any other games?

It's still bumping along!

E: here it is if anyone was so rude as to unbookmark it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952093

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 12, 2024

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, i get why that exists, because indeed, soviet artillery suffered from an enormous amount of factors that made it chronically inefficient for how many tubes they had, particularly lacking forward observers and comms equipment, especially before 1944, but this is very much a kludge.

The solution isn’t more abstraction, it’s a factory-by-factory model of Soviet shell and rocket production & logistics that is appropriately reactive to ahistorical circumstances. :eng101:

I’m not even really joking. Gary Grigsby broke my brain in 2005. WitP and WitE/2 aren’t always good games, but they are ambitious. Very like RTW 1 in that way. Soft and less quantifiable factors like communications and spotting/scouting are Grigsby’s biggest weakness imo

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 12, 2024

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I'm not trying to tell you WitP is a bad game, I'm trying to tell people who can still be saved

You take that back.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

TBH tracking doctrine and training quality evolution across the war and assigning factors that would advance or delay it would be amazingly painful and also amazing.

Also, configuring political imperatives would be really nasty. On the other hand you'd write an AAR starting with "well the king named his daughter "our righteous return to Terqa" which somewhat restricted my operational targets in beating up the Ur III dynasty."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

*I brandish my sword and cut simulationism in twain like the villain it is* long live design for effect

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Alchenar posted:

I'm not trying to tell you WitP is a bad game, I'm trying to tell people who can still be saved

lmao

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
This is why DC:Barbarosa is the best grog game. Its thesis of "war is the continuation of politics by other means" is right in its core gameplay loop. That being the internal politics of Germany and Russia made both of them fight worse then they could have in a frictionless sphere.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
It helps DC:B that it covers just one campaign. WitE and WitP cover the entire war, it makes sense to have more special rules to make a longer game possible.

SpellingError
May 7, 2014

lispy-goon posted:

I see, thanks mate. I'll try one out.

*EDIT:* Do you have any recommendation?

I've had a lot of fun with NATO's Nightmare. The map is huge and the music is very catchy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is DC Barbarosa the one with the Train Nazi and the Truck Nazi? I had a blast reading the Let's Play of that one.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Is DC Barbarosa the one with the Train Nazi and the Truck Nazi? I had a blast reading the Let's Play of that one.

Yeah, and the dating sim moments with all the nazis so that they'll please release all those loving trucks they stole, which also means you didn't have the evening to review the intelligence reports that are wrong but still telling.

They will not release the trucks.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

habeasdorkus posted:

That is the one. The above poster is correct, that game has yet to be matched.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The "train season, truck season, Soviet response" gif is burned into my brain

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Alikchi posted:

That is the one. The above poster is correct, that game has yet to be matched.

I am a little surprised no ones has tried the same thing but for the western front. By all accounts Eisenhower spent most of his time hearding cats. It could also have a detailed logistics simulation, but the problem is how you allocate all the trucks you have.

The German side would just be trying to do well enough so you don't get demoted and assigned to the eastern front, and not do so well that you get promoted and assigned to the eastern front.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You'd need a dynamic bad idea and stupid poo poo generator, Hitler gets a loving terrible idea and one of the supreme command headquarters agrees, both of the supreme command headquarters get conflicting terrible ideas and Hitler follows their expert advice, Churchill wants you to do an unprepared amphibious assault on a tiny, out of the way, enormously fortified mountainous island of zero strategic value that has neither boats nor airfields, you ask for more air support and bomber command sabotages it in order to continue strategic bombing, Hitler decides to personally take command of the hypersturmpanzer-9000t project which doesn't actually change delivery dates (1983 at the earliest) but eats so much in steel production that ammunition production nosedives, bomber command managed to actually hit something militarily worthwhile, sadly it is your own pipeline, the royal navy is late to intercept S boats attacking in the channel because it's all new lend lease ships and they needed to rip out all the enlisted bunks and replace them with hammocks.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

You'd need a dynamic bad idea and stupid poo poo generator, Hitler gets a loving terrible idea and one of the supreme command headquarters agrees, both of the supreme command headquarters get conflicting terrible ideas and Hitler follows their expert advice, Churchill wants you to do an unprepared amphibious assault on a tiny, out of the way, enormously fortified mountainous island of zero strategic value that has neither boats nor airfields, you ask for more air support and bomber command sabotages it in order to continue strategic bombing, Hitler decides to personally take command of the hypersturmpanzer-9000t project which doesn't actually change delivery dates (1983 at the earliest) but eats so much in steel production that ammunition production nosedives, bomber command managed to actually hit something militarily worthwhile, sadly it is your own pipeline, the royal navy is late to intercept S boats attacking in the channel because it's all new lend lease ships and they needed to rip out all the enlisted bunks and replace them with hammocks.

Don't stop.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SIGSEGV posted:

I would play this game in a heartbeat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

SIGSEGV posted:

Vic needs to put this in Shadow Empire.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Taking notes for my not-World In Flames game where an expansion is several set of cards where a player randomly draws and is required to dump X $$$$ into a specific type of unit or industry or lose cash/political effectiveness

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

V for Vegas posted:

Vic needs to put this in Shadow Empire.

Some of that you could mod in with the existing Demands system, but I don’t know if that will accommodate a demand like “build a tank model with [gun] and [armor]”.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

Some of that you could mod in with the existing Demands system, but I don’t know if that will accommodate a demand like “build a tank model with [gun] and [armor]”.

when you finish designing a tank, the model design councilor demands you build a much shittier one designed by their cousin

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

habeasdorkus posted:

Right click on where it says "Drive," "Engine," "Radiator" etc. The only ones that are different are weapons, where you have to right click on the subcategory name like "Missiles" or "Laser." It's very very useful for comparing engines!

Ah, got that to work now. Yeah, that’s great.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

SIGSEGV posted:

Hell yeah, dudes rock

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

New thread title plz

lispy-goon
Jan 9, 2019

Yooper posted:

I have the Finland one and the Hawaii one. I liked them both for a quick fix. Can't really comment on any others.

SpellingError posted:

I've had a lot of fun with NATO's Nightmare. The map is huge and the music is very catchy.

Thanks guys. I'll check them out.

SIGSEGV posted:

I almost died choking on an apple reading this. Well done.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Question for Silent Hunter players:

Man, I've been trying to perfect a Steam Deck control scheme for Silent Hunter 4 based on the one I made for SH3, and I can't tell if they are fools for removing the keyboard shortcuts for snorkel stuff and the attack map, or if the shortcuts aren't actually useful. The commands still exist, but there's no binding for them. I can edit Commands.cfg to get them back, but I was really trying to keep the control scheme relevant to stock. Also funny that you can see the original bindings from SH3 in the .cfg, just commented out.

Snorkel, whatever I guess. But I used the attack map quite a bit in SH3.
Instead of the attack map, what's most useful - a quick hop into the sonar station? Radar? Deck gun?

EDIT: God drat it, and there's no default binding for man battle stations either!

Actually, here's how it looks as it is right now:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 18, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So it seems like lot of grog wargames got deleted from iPhone and only now for iPad? I used to pvp Shenandoah’s Battle of The Bulge on iPhones with my wife like in 2016 and it isn’t available anymore.

Any pvp grog lite games for iPhone?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

New Regiments DLC pics dropped!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh hell yeah

BackupDancer
Nov 23, 2019

Explain this.
Is there any reason to buy Rule the Waves 1 or 2 at this point, or should I go straight to 3?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

3 contains all the content from 1 and 2, and is far easier to buy because it is sold through regular stores.

I don't even know if you can buy the earlier ones, but the only reason to do so is if you hate airplanes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gnoman posted:

I don't even know if you can buy the earlier ones, but the only reason to do so is if you hate airplanes.

It's okay to hate airplanes, but only until you get adequate numbers of SAMs and/or carrier-based fighters in your fleet.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

They still have RTW 1 and 2 listed on their bespoke store but yeah there's no reason to buy it. You can get the RTW 1 experience by starting a RTW 3 1900 campaign with the Slow Aircraft Development option checked and just stop playing in 1925.

BackupDancer
Nov 23, 2019

Explain this.

Gnoman posted:

3 contains all the content from 1 and 2, and is far easier to buy because it is sold through regular stores.

I forgive them for what they did to the Prince of Wales. 3 it is.

Thanks all!

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

So it seems like lot of grog wargames got deleted from iPhone and only now for iPad? I used to pvp Shenandoah’s Battle of The Bulge on iPhones with my wife like in 2016 and it isn’t available anymore.

Many of the good grog games got deleted by the 32bit "appcalypse" few years ago. Commander Great War was one good one, but there were plenty of other ones. I think that the bulge game got re-released for iPad only.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, so much good stuff, not just grog games just went away. :sadwave:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
War Plan Pacific is on a 57% discount today as part of the week-long deals on Steam. I know some of us have been waiting for this to go on sale so I picked it up.

Steam guide on how to play

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

gradenko_2000 posted:

War Plan Pacific is on a 57% discount today as part of the week-long deals on Steam. I know some of us have been waiting for this to go on sale so I picked it up.

Steam guide on how to play

Remember when Slitherine was arguing that sales were bad because if people picked up the game for cheap they wouldn't invest as much time in it and appreciate it properly, among other silly arguments that Steam and sales were bad?

Not gonna lie, I'm petty enough to enjoy the quiet vindication.