Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
We go ahead with the modified version of MaskedHuzzah's plan, which means, among other things, drawing a new Development card during cleanup.
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Costs 1 Science to claim.)
We tick down our Dilithium Reserves and send a Crew Die to Sickbay. Then it's time to roll Crew Dice. Away team dice are first...

...then shipboard dice.

Now that's a nice set of Crew Dice! The only kind of Crew Die we didn't roll was Engineering, and we don't need any of that.

We're in the home stretch on this Mission Card, and we have several other options to boot. What do we want to accomplish?

__________________           __
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____
              ||    \----.________.----/
              ||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year one of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

Shipboard crew assignments:
  • Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4
  • Security: 1/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 0/3
  • Medical: 1/3
  • Science: 1/3
  • Command: 0/2
  • Quarters: 0/10
  • Sickbay: 1/10
Away Team crew assignments:
  • Wild: 2/10
  • Security: 1/2
  • Engineering: 0/2
  • Medical: 1/2
  • Science: 1/2
  • Command: 1/2
  • Away Team pool: 0/10
Shields: 0/5
Hull: 7/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 6/10

Active Mission Card: Avert Environmental Catastrophe (Away Team expansion).
Mission Event: Move one Crew Die to Sickbay.
  1. Travel: pay two Engineering Dice.
  2. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  3. Scan: Pay two Science Dice.
  4. Repair: Pay one Engineering Die and one Science Die.
  5. Cure: Pay two Medical Dice.
  6. Development: Draw two Development Cards. (Discard the two available Development Cards at the top of the list, then draw two Development Cards and put them at the bottom of the list.)
Active Event Cards: none.

Active Development Cards:
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station.)
Available Development Cards:
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Medical to claim.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Costs 1 Science to claim.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I say Claim the Sensor Probe using our shipboard Science die, use the Away Team Command die to change the Security to a Medical, use the two Medical to clear the objective, and lock our shipboard Medical for use next turn to deal with the final person sent to Sickbay next turn.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rorahusky posted:

I say Claim the Sensor Probe using our shipboard Science die, use the Away Team Command die to change the Security to a Medical, use the two Medical to clear the objective, and lock our shipboard Medical for use next turn to deal with the final person sent to Sickbay next turn.

I concur. A most logical course of action.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
I say use one Wild die as Medical, one as Command, use the two Away Team Command to claim Reassigned, use the Away Team Science to claim the Sensor Probe, use the Away Team Medical to complete the objective, and use the shipboard Medical to cure our crew in Sickbay.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

nweismuller posted:

I say use one Wild die as Medical, one as Command, use the two Away Team Command to claim Reassigned, use the Away Team Science to claim the Sensor Probe, use the Away Team Medical to complete the objective, and use the shipboard Medical to cure our crew in Sickbay.

Oh, wait, this is a much better idea. Still not used to how Wild Die works.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Stall. Use 1 wild die and 1 command die to get Reassigned. Use both Medical die to get Medical Tricorder. Use a science die to get Sensor Probe. Use a wild die as medical to Heal.

I don't think starfleet command is going to cut us a check for unused dilithium.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
1. We need two medical dice on the Away team to clear the objective, so we use the command on ground to convert the Security to a Medical, and use that to handle the Cure objective.
2. That leaves us with a science and two wild cards remaining on the away team. We use the two wild cards as command die to pick up the Reassigned development card.
3. With the remaining away team science die, we can grab Sensor Probe as well.
4. This leaves us with the people on board the ship, and they don't have much to do at the moment, so we put the remaining medical die on the Medical Tricorder.
5. There is a security and science remaining, so I say we slot them into stations and see what happens next turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Five people posted, so I roll a D5 and hit Technowolf. Which is a... slight issue, because he agreed with Rorahusky's original plan, but then Rorahusky changed his mind to follow nweismuller's plan. Which is superior to Rorahusky's original plan in every way but one: instead of saving a shipboard Medical Die, he used it to Heal right now. Technowolf, would you rather save the die or use it? I'll give you some time to decide, but if I don't hear from you, I'll flip a coin or something.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Five people posted, so I roll a D5 and hit Technowolf. Which is a... slight issue, because he agreed with Rorahusky's original plan, but then Rorahusky changed his mind to follow nweismuller's plan. Which is superior to Rorahusky's original plan in every way but one: instead of saving a shipboard Medical Die, he used it to Heal right now. Technowolf, would you rather save the die or use it? I'll give you some time to decide, but if I don't hear from you, I'll flip a coin or something.

Use it

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Okay! We're almost done with this Mission Card. Development Cards are claimed and Crew Dice flung about. When we're done, we draw two new Development Cards.
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 1 Engineering to claim.)
Then we deplete the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, send a Crew Die to Sickbay, and roll the away team Crew Dice...

...and the shipboard Crew Dice.

Ew. (Remember, you can't use Reassigned to reroll Threat Dice. However, for the convenience of web play, I'm going to say that you can use Reassigned on either an away team or shipboard Crew Die if you want to.) Still, nothing that can't be fixed. And it turns out you have more time to fix it, at least potentially, than I thought. I've carefully reread the rules, and if I understand correctly, you don't have to complete the last Mission Stage this turn. You can choose to run out the clock for a few turns, if you think the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks.

It might be a good idea to do so. Future Mission Cards will not be so lenient. Almost every other Mission Card has 'Draw Event' as the Mission Action, and some of them have that and something else.

Whether you decide to complete the Mission Stage now or later, there's a bit of a timing issue. Completing a Mission Stage and advancing a Development Card both happen during the Deployment Phase, and I've previously said that actions in that phase can be taken in any order. However, you do not actually claim Development Cards you've advanced until the Cleanup Phase; in addition, the rules for completing the Draw Mission Stage say that you must replace the oldest existing (available) Development Cards with the Development Cards you draw.

Therefore! On the turn in which you complete the Mission Stage, you may not advance the oldest two Development Cards. (Those are the ones at the top of the list.) You may, however, complete the Mission Stage, then advance any combination of the two new Development Cards and the remaining Development Card (on this turn, Dilithium Deposits (1)). So if you choose to wrap up the mission this turn, I'll go ahead and complete the Mission Stage first, then show you the new Development Cards and let you decide what to do with the rest of the turn.

So what'll it be?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year one of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
  • Security: 0/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 1/3
  • Medical: 0/3
  • Science: 0/3
  • Wild: 1/10
  • Engineering: 2/2
  • Medical: 0/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 5/10

6. Development: Draw two Development Cards. (Discard the two available Development Cards at the top of the list, then draw two Development Cards and put them at the bottom of the list.)

• Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Cost 1 Science to claim.)
Available Development Cards:
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Medical to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 1 Engineering to claim.)

Oh, and one more thing. I added the costs of active Development Cards back in for a reason. There's one rule from the Away Team expansion that hasn't applied until now. As part of the Cleanup Phase, you can discard any two active Development Cards of the same type - Technology, Tactics, or Personnel, which we haven't seen - to claim an available Development Card of the same type and with a Crew Dice cost less than or equal to the combined Crew Dice cost of the discarded cards. Because this happens during the Cleanup Phase, you can then draw a replacement Development Card and do this again if you want to. I don't expect this exact situation to occur, but hey.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Stall. Claim Engineering Kit and Dilithium Crystals using our 3 engineers. Order Science to Medical then combine with Wild die to get Medical Tricorder. Clear sensors with Security.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
We seem to be way ahead of schedule, and there's no incentive for finishing early other than the fact that things could go wrong, so I think it's safe to stall a turn or two.

1. Use the Security to clear 1 of the Threat.
2. Use one engineering die to get Dilithium Deposits
3. Use the two remaining engineering dice to get the Engineering Kit.
4. Use the Command die to convert the Science to Medical, then use the Medical and Wild die to pick up the Medical tricorder.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of rules I didn't expect to come up, we can only have nine active Development Cards at once (though we can discard one if we see one we like better). Of course, we also can only have nine active Event Cards at once. Hopefully we won't see that.

Anyway. We grab all the available Development Cards, then draw three new ones during Cleanup. The usual beginning-of-turn bookkeeping happens, and we roll away team and shipboard Crew Dice.

And the Development Cards we drew? Well, that's where it gets interesting.
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.)
Personnel Transfer is the first card we've drawn from the Away Team expansion, and thus the first one to directly reference the Away Team expansion's rules. (Development Card and Event Card types were added in the expansion, but it says which base cards are of which types.) It also introduces the term 'Offer' to refer to the available Development Cards; the base rules call them simply Development Cards (as opposed to Active Developments). On the one hand, it's nice to have an unambiguous term, but on the other, the term chosen here doesn't feel like it fits in this game. I dunno.

Mr. Spock, meanwhile, is our first Personnel card. Even the cheapest Personnel card has some pretty good effects, and this card is not cheap. The bonus Science this provides can be used like a Science Die, but it's not a Crew Die, so it isn't affected by things that affect Crew Dice - it can't be rerolled, locked in, sent to Sickbay, limited by Crew stations, or what have you.

There is a catch, besides the obvious steep cost. Due to the previously mentioned timing issues, if we complete either of the other available Development Cards and complete the current Mission Phase, we will be forced to discard it. Which means it would be a good idea to decide now whether we want it or not.

So. What'll it be?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 1/4
  • Science: 0/3
  • Sickbay: 2/10
  • Wild: 2/10
  • Engineering: 1/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 4/10

• Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Cost 1 Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Medical to claim.)
Available Development Cards (the Offer):
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I say stall, use the Command die and one Wild die to claim the communicator card, put the Science and one Wild die on Mr. Spock, and use the Medical Die to heal the two personnel is Sick Bay. I have no clue what to use the Engineering and Security dice for, so I say bank them if we're able.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I say stall, use the Command die and one Wild die to claim the communicator card, put the Science and one Wild die on Mr. Spock, and use the Medical Die to heal the two personnel is Sick Bay. I have no clue what to use the Engineering and Security dice for, so I say bank them if we're able.

That isn't going to work because you can't leave away team Crew Dice on Development Cards. If you want the Mr. Spock Development Card, I see two basic ways to get it.

The safer way is to not claim any other Development Cards. You can run down the clock and try to get the right Crew Dice rolled; the odds aren't great, because you can save at most two away team Science Dice and no Wild Dice from one turn to the next, so you'll need at least some shipboard Science Dice. You can, at least, use Command Dice to turn shipboard Crew Dice into Science Dice, and shipboard Crew Dice can be left on Development Cards. You might also consider letting some away team Crew Dice get injured to send them back to the ship. Of course, this means an increased risk of Threat Dice. At any rate, even if you fail to claim the Development Card in the next three turns, including this one, on the fourth turn you can complete the last Mission Stage, discarding Communicator and Personnel Transfer, and keep working on Mr. Spock.

If you claim any other Development Cards, you're on the clock. Remember that you can't claim Mr. Spock on the fourth turn, because completing the current Mission Stage happens before claiming completed Development Cards. (I assume deliberately failing the Mission Card isn't even on the table.) That said, while this risks not getting Mr. Spock, it does mean you get to pull other Development Cards while you're still not being forced to draw an Event Card every turn. And five Science Dice is a lot.

The choice is yours.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We can only get up to 4 science dice this turn, but I think we can pull it off before the deadline.

Order Medical die on ship into Science, apply to Mr. Spock. Use 1 wild Die to heal sickbay. Use 1 wild die to claim personnel development, can't hurt us. Use security to clear sensors. Put away crew in sickbay until proven otherwise.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Spock seems like he would be more useful than anything else we could get for quite a while, so I'd make him a priority. We can't bank Away Team members for development die, but can we use them if they occur on that turn for the 5 total?

1. Use the command die on the ground to convert the medical die on the ship to Science, and apply that to Spock.
2. Use the security die on the ground to clear the threat. Keep the formerly threat die on board.
3. Use a wild die to heal both members in sickbay, keep them on board.
4. I don't see a lot of use for Personnel Transfer yet, but we can always exchange it for something we want more later, so if we can I'd like to pick it up with the remaining wild die.
5. This leaves us with an engineering die and a science die on the ground I can't see a use for, sadly.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Spock seems like he would be more useful than anything else we could get for quite a while, so I'd make him a priority. We can't bank Away Team members for development die, but can we use them if they occur on that turn for the 5 total?

That's correct.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

1. Use the command die on the ground to convert the medical die on the ship to Science, and apply that to Spock.
2. Use the security die on the ground to clear the threat. Keep the formerly threat die on board.
3. Use a wild die to heal both members in sickbay, keep them on board.
4. I don't see a lot of use for Personnel Transfer yet, but we can always exchange it for something we want more later, so if we can I'd like to pick it up with the remaining wild die.
5. This leaves us with an engineering die and a science die on the ground I can't see a use for, sadly.

A few notes on this plan: Crew Dice don't go on an away team unless you use a Transport Mission Stage to send them, so you didn't have to specify 'keep them on board'. And yes, you can use a Wild Die to collect Personnel Transfer. Wild Dice, like all away team Crew Dice, can be used on Developments as long as those Developments are completed that turn.

We draw a new Development Card...
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Costs 3 Engineering to claim.)
...and send a redshirt from the away team to Sickbay. We now have two turns remaining to claim Mr. Spock. Let's see how the dice fare.

Not good. We can only keep two of the Security Dice, and we get one measly Science Die and a Threat Die. It may be time to cut our losses; we can unlock the Crew Die on Mr. Spock to be able to use it next turn on something else. Still, if you want to hope for a better roll next turn, that's an option...

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Science: 1/3
  • Wild: 0/10
  • Security: 2/2
  • Engineering: 0/2
  • Medical: 1/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Away Team pool: 2/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 3/10

• Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Medical to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.) Progress: 1/5.
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Costs 3 Engineering to claim.)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Heal Sickbay, Clear the Scanners, Attach Science to Spock. Hull stuff sounds great, but not great enough to risk Spock. Sunk cost fallacy ahoy.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I stand by the Spock priority, drat the risks!
1. Use the Security die to clear the threat.
2. Use the medical die to handle the person in Sickbay.
3. Attach the Science die to Spock
4. Efficient die usage is pretty important. While we haven't seen hull damage yet, the ability to fix it quickly seems like it would be more useful than our Engineering Kit and Sensor Probe, so let's exchange these two technology cards for one of equal or lesser value.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I stand by the Spock priority, drat the risks!
1. Use the Security die to clear the threat.
2. Use the medical die to handle the person in Sickbay.
3. Attach the Science die to Spock
4. Efficient die usage is pretty important. While we haven't seen hull damage yet, the ability to fix it quickly seems like it would be more useful than our Engineering Kit and Sensor Probe, so let's exchange these two technology cards for one of equal or lesser value.

The dice picked your plan, so let's go with it. Claiming Electrified Hull Plating means we draw another Development Card during cleanup:
We already have one of those, but maybe we want another. Now for the moment of truth. We deplete dilithium, send an away team Crew Die to Sickbay, and, drum roll, please...

Congratulations! We have more than enough Science Dice to claim Mr. Spock. What else do we want to do this turn? (As a reminder, we can't complete the Mission Stage this turn because of timing issues.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4
  • Science: 2/3
  • Wild: 0/10
  • Science: 2/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 2/10

• Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.) Progress: 2/5.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I thought we could only have 7 development cards?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I guess we grab Spock and bunker down until next turn to complete the mission itself. For Dilithuim Deposits, do we have to use it immediately, or can we save it till after we start a new mission? Cause if it's the latter, we could also snag it as a bonus and save it for later.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Damanation posted:

I thought we could only have 7 development cards?

The limit is 9.

Rorahusky posted:

For Dilithuim Deposits, do we have to use it immediately, or can we save it till after we start a new mission?

You can save it as long as you need to. If you hadn't rolled the Science Dice you needed, you could have spent the one you have to buy an extra turn.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Get Spock, Get Dilithium, Order Somebody to Heal Medbay and start writing up the justification for sitting on this planet drawing pay.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Great work, team!
1. Use three Science dice to claim Spock. I know it's assumed, but it's still fun to say.
2. Use the Engineering die to claim Dilithium Deposits. We might want those later.
3. Use the Command die to convert the Security die to Medical, cure the sickbay.
4. No need to rest here, time to move on. Complete the Development card and progress to the next mission.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

4. No need to rest here, time to move on. Complete the Development card and progress to the next mission.

Well, there is a need to rest here. As I said earlier, to complete the Mission Stage (which is what I assume you meant), you have to discard the two oldest Development Cards and draw two new ones. While you can complete the Mr. Spock card this turn, you can't actually claim it until the end of the turn, by which point completing the Mission Stage would have made it go away.

That said, the rest of the plan goes smoothly, and two new Development Cards are drawn.
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Away Team expansion. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
I'm not entirely sure what that last card means by 'taking the Transport action'. It can definitely be used to beam down more people to an away team instead of repeating a Transport Mission Stage. But can it be used to complete a Transport Mission Stage? Can it be used to deploy an away team on its own? Can it be used to recall an away team? I'm going to read it as restrictively as possible, given how cheap it is, but I could be talked around.

Dilithium ticks down, we send a Crew Die to Sickbay (I choose a shipboard Crew Die because we don't need to send away team Crew Dice back now), and we roll the bones.

There's no point putting off completing the Mission Stage, so we do that, discarding Communicator and the Tricorder we just drew. For replacements, we get:
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Costs 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Costs 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
It's interesting that Boosted Sensors costs three Science, not three Security, to claim; all the other 'this action is twice as effective' cards cost three of whatever you'd spend to take that action. As for Vulcan Nerve Pinch, that'd be a very good card for us right now, and if we wanted, we could use Mr. Spock's bonus Science to get it for just one Security, which would be thematically appropriate. However, we're now at our cap of Development Cards, so maybe it could sit in the Offer for a bit if we don't want to discard or use anything. I leave the decision of what we do on this final turn before things most likely get truly pear-shaped up to you!

(Oh, and since I noticed it while prepping this update: don't forget about the Reassigned Development Card! I'm not going to remind you if it might be useful at some point.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 2/3 (+1)
  • Science: 0 (+1)/3
  • Wild: 1/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 1/10

• Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Costs 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Costs 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Discard Personal Transfer. Use Spock, a wild die, and a science die to get boosted sensors. Heal sickbay and Clear the Sensors. Unless Kirk shows up and acts as a free command die every turn we aren't improving on Spock. Vulcan Nerver Pinch sounds rad, but not rad enough to give up any of our other stuff. Okay, maybe security station. But what are the odds of rolling 3 ones with 9 dice?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

But what are the odds of rolling 3 ones with 9 dice?

About 13 percent. :eng101: If you read that to mean 'at least three ones', it's about 18 percent.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Dammit, never tell me the odds!

:holy:

(Good point, more than 3 ones(+1 already in the scanners) would cause an event and carry over wouldn't they)

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 24, 2019

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Current priority: Keep working on efficiency, it'll pay off later.
1. Boosted Sensors seems quite nice, but we're at caps for tech. Exchange Medical Tricorder and Dilithium Deposits for them, and we'll have an extra slot to pick up...
2. Vulcan Nerve Pinch seems like it will be incredibly handy, especially since we already have Spock. We can use our Away Team Security and Science dies to claim it easily.
3. Use the medical die to clear the person in sickbay.
4. Use a security die to clear scanners
5. And off we go to Year 2.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Current priority: Keep working on efficiency, it'll pay off later.
1. Boosted Sensors seems quite nice, but we're at caps for tech. Exchange Medical Tricorder and Dilithium Deposits for them, and we'll have an extra slot to pick up...
2. Vulcan Nerve Pinch seems like it will be incredibly handy, especially since we already have Spock. We can use our Away Team Security and Science dies to claim it easily.
3. Use the medical die to clear the person in sickbay.
4. Use a security die to clear scanners
5. And off we go to Year 2.
The dice chose your plan, so let's go with it. The Cleanup phase sees us returning all ten Crew Dice to Quarters, discarding the completed Mission Card, and claiming those Development Cards. We draw two new Development Cards:
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)
Cards we've seen before, but potentially useful ones. We also advance the year track by one.

At the start of the next turn, we draw a new Mission Card. Drum roll, please...

Observe Planetary Phenomena posted:

Mission Event: Draw an Event Card.
Mission Stages:
  1. Scan: pay two Science.
  2. Event: draw one Event Card.
  3. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  4. Influence: pay two Command.
  5. Development: Draw one Development Card.
Yup, that's significantly nastier. Dilithium Reserves get refreshed to 10, and then we draw an Event Card right away:
  • Coolant Leak (Shipboard event. Reroll Engineering results once. Costs 2 Science to clear.)

Not the best of news, but it could have been worse. As a reminder, Event Dice are cleared exactly the same way Development Cards are claimed, including timing issues and away team Crew Dice rules. Note that this is a shipboard event, which means that it will not force us to reroll away team Engineering Dice - but by the same token, we can't use away team Science Dice to clear it.

So let's roll!

Whoops; we got one Engineering Die. We reroll it...

Well, that's unfortunate. More unfortunate is that we can only keep two Command Dice. Still, between them, our Science Dice, and Mr. Spock, we can both clear the Event Card and advance the Mission Card. So do we do that? And do we have other priorities?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year two of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
  • Security: 1/3 (+1)
  • Medical: 2/3
  • Science: 2 (+1)/3
  • Command: 2/2
  • Quarters: 1/10
  • Sickbay: 0/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 10/10

Active Mission Card: Observe Planetary Phenomena.
Mission Event: Draw an Event Card.
Mission Stages:
  1. Scan: pay two Science.
  2. Event: draw one Event Card.
  3. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  4. Influence: pay two Command.
  5. Development: Draw one Development Card.
Active Event Cards:
  • Coolant Leak (Shipboard event. Reroll Engineering results once. Costs 2 Science to clear.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 25, 2019

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2 Science dice to Scan Planet, 2 Medical dice and Mr. Spock clear up the event, Security die to clear sensors thanks to boosted sensors, 2 Command dice standby.

(we should only have a dilithium max of 9 due to the year, right?)

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

The above seems good, but let's use our reroll on the command dice to see if we get anything useful?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

habituallyred posted:

2 Science dice to Scan Planet, 2 Medical dice and Mr. Spock clear up the event, Security die to clear sensors thanks to boosted sensors, 2 Command dice standby.
This would be my choice.

Damanation posted:

The above seems good, but let's use our reroll on the command dice to see if we get anything useful?
I disagree, there isn't anything else we actually need right now, and there's a chance that it could roll a Threat if we reroll it. If we leave them locked in as Command then we can use them to get whatever dice we need next turn... or else ditch one of our Development cards to buy the Communicator which could be useful for Task 4.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

(we should only have a dilithium max of 9 due to the year, right?)

Nope! The Dilithium Reserves maximum is based solely on difficulty, not mission year. When year-related stuff kicks in (provided we survive that long), I'll let you know.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Just stumbled on this thread, and this game seems really nice
Makes me wonder if there are any tabletop sim mods for it
Also, if a full blown star trek rpg exists

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Arkanumzilong posted:

Just stumbled on this thread, and this game seems really nice
Makes me wonder if there are any tabletop sim mods for it
Also, if a full blown star trek rpg exists

Can't speak to the former, but there are multiple Star Trek pen-and-paper RPGs out there. One of the stranger ones is the Prime Directive RPG line by Steve Jackson Games. Not because of the mechanics, mind - it's powered by GURPS or d20 - but because its connection to Star Trek itself ultimately stems from the Star Fleet Battles wargame license, which (a) has diverged considerably from post-TOS Star Trek canon and (b) is not allowed, by the licensing, to directly reference any specific thing or person from the original series. Which is to say, you won't find stats for Mr. Spock or the Enterprise in it, but you will find stats for Vulcans and the Constitution class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Events are bad and we have time, so our priority in this mission is to keep them clear!
1. Use the two Science Die to clear the Coolant Leak Event. We need coolant to not explode in a terrible fireball in space.
2. Use Spock and convert the two Medical Dice to a Science die to clear the Scan Objective.
3. Use the Security die to clear scanners.
4. We're at cap for Active Development Cards, and none of the ones currently available seem as useful to me as the ones we have (though I'd like to see other people's opinions on that since I could be entirely wrong - I tend to overvalue passives).
5. Since the Mission Event is Draw an Event Card, and Objective 2 is also Draw One Event Card, does that mean we should expect two events next turn? If so, we should keep ready and bank those two Command dice.
6. If we have to send another die to Quarters due to overflow, can we Reassign to reroll it? If so, I think that's a plan in absence of another specific need for a die. The timing on Reassign is weird for the format we're using to play.
7. Questions on development cards:
Does Shuttlecraft Galileo let us complete multiple objectives in one turn, or does it just let us pre-pay the cost?
What counts as a "Challenge" for the purposes of Tricorder and Communicator? Events and objectives?