Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

5. Since the Mission Event is Draw an Event Card, and Objective 2 is also Draw One Event Card, does that mean we should expect two events next turn? If so, we should keep ready and bank those two Command dice.

I'll cover this in the turn update.

quote:

6. If we have to send another die to Quarters due to overflow, can we Reassign to reroll it? If so, I think that's a plan in absence of another specific need for a die. The timing on Reassign is weird for the format we're using to play.

Yes, you can do that. Just say you want to in lieu of submitting a plan, and I'll do it if the dice pick you.

quote:

Does Shuttlecraft Galileo let us complete multiple objectives in one turn, or does it just let us pre-pay the cost?

You can only complete one Mission Stage a turn, no matter what. Shuttlecraft Galileo lets you pre-pay for a Transport Action, but it also lets you send an away team even if the shields are up (because that's part of the standard cost).

quote:

What counts as a "Challenge" for the purposes of Tricorder and Communicator? Events and objectives?

Event Cards, Development Cards, and Mission Stages, but not actions like Heal.

habituallyred posted:

2 Science dice to Scan Planet, 2 Medical dice and Mr. Spock clear up the event, Security die to clear sensors thanks to boosted sensors, 2 Command dice standby.

inflatablefish posted:

This would be my choice.

Well, the dice picked you, and by extension habituallyred, so we do it. Next turn rolls around, and we draw an Event Card:
  • Love Interest (Immediately move one active Crew Die to Quarters. If all Crew Dice are in Quarters, move one to Sickbay. Then discard this Event.)

So one of those locked-in Command Dice goes back to Quarters. Could be worse; we get to roll it again right away. Counting the locked-in Command Die we still have, we roll:

Thaaaat's unfortunate.

So, that explanation I promised earlier. In order to complete this Mission Stage, we need to draw an Event Card. However, like the Development Stage from the last Mission Card, we don't have to complete this Mission Stage this turn. If we had drawn a particularly nasty Event Card, we could have held off to save resources to clear it.

That said, the Event Card we drew turned out to be pretty mild, so we could take a chance on drawing another. And since there's no point in making plans that might get thrown out the window, I just want to know: should we complete the current Mission Stage this turn?

__________________           __
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____
              ||    \----.________.----/
              ||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year two of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

Shipboard crew assignments:
  • Threat Level (Scanners): 3/4
  • Security: 1/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 1/3
  • Medical: 2/3
  • Science: 2 (+1)/3
  • Command: 1/2
  • Quarters: 0/10
  • Sickbay: 0/10
Shields: 0/5
Hull: 7/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 9/10

Active Mission Card: Observe Planetary Phenomena.
Mission Event: Draw an Event Card.
Mission Stages:
  1. Scan: pay two Science.
  2. Event: draw one Event Card.
  3. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  4. Influence: pay two Command.
  5. Development: Draw one Development Card.
Active Event Cards: none.

Active Development Cards:
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
Available Development Cards (the Offer):
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I don't see any reason to delay in doing. There's no development cards we have a particular eye on:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Apropos of nothing, when I made that post about Prime Directive, I remembered another Star Trek game that had an odd licensing situation. In the 1978 book BASIC Computer Games, there's a version of Super Star Trek (a game that started life as a mainframe text game and has since been ported hither and yon) which has, as a footnote, that the name 'Star Trek' is used by permission from Paramount Pictures. A bit of Internet searching didn't find a second source for this, so I tracked down and emailed the editor of the book, David Ahl. He wrote me back:

David Ahl posted:

In the first games book, "101 Basic Computer Games" published by DEC, a somewhat simpler version of the game was called Spacewar; no permissions necessary as we weren't using the name Star Trek. However, in the early days of Creative Computing around 1977, I met Gene Roddenberry at a convention (don't recall if it was a Star Trek con or comic con). He thought the computer game was a cool thing and would help the Star Trek franchise, so he asked Paramount to give us permission to use the name, and they did. Workman Publishing, that published the mass-market version of the book, wouldn't have touched it if we didn't have official permission.

So that's a thing.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, I think we may as well get the Event over with, we're still in a pretty good position.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

4. We're at cap for Active Development Cards, and none of the ones currently available seem as useful to me as the ones we have (though I'd like to see other people's opinions on that since I could be entirely wrong - I tend to overvalue passives).

I also love passive bonuses, but given that we seem to be drawing plenty of Tricorders/Communicators etc I think it'd be good to save one space for them - e.g. if we had paid 2 Command to get the Communicator we'd be guaranteed to be able to pass Task 4 as soon as we get to it. We could easily ditch Personnel Transfer, all it'll give us is the chance to throw away a good card for a less-good one.

I'm pretty sure we'll have to make some heartbreaking choices soon though. I very much like our boosted actions, ie being able to clear 2 Threat with 1 Security die. I'm less certain that Mr Spock and the Nerve Pinch will be quite as useful, they could be rather situational. I'm assuming that Kirk is 1 free Command Die each round, Scotty is 1 free Engineering etc, in which case getting whoever gives us 1 free Security die each round (Sulu? Chekov?) will probably be the most valuable for clearing Threat.

EDIT: I have a question! Are we allowed to spend Mr Spock's free Science die just like any other Science die, ie use it plus the other 2 to become 1 Security die and clear threat?

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

I also love passive bonuses, but given that we seem to be drawing plenty of Tricorders/Communicators etc I think it'd be good to save one space for them - e.g. if we had paid 2 Command to get the Communicator we'd be guaranteed to be able to pass Task 4 as soon as we get to it

[snip]

I'm assuming that Kirk is 1 free Command Die each round, Scotty is 1 free Engineering etc, in which case getting whoever gives us 1 free Security die each round (Sulu? Chekov?) will probably be the most valuable for clearing Threat.

It'd take too long for me to go over every single card in the decks if you want to make informed decisions about their composition. However, if you want to know, the base game cards I'm using are here, and the Away Team rules (which include the expansion's cards) are here.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

It'd take too long for me to go over every single card in the decks if you want to make informed decisions about their composition. However, if you want to know, the base game cards I'm using are here, and the Away Team rules (which include the expansion's cards) are here.

Nah, I'm just guessing here, I'd rather leave it as a surprise for when we get whatever it is.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

All right, let's complete the Mission Stage.
  • Planetary Guards (Away Team expansion. The away team may not complete any other actions until this card is defeated by the away team. Costs 2 Command OR 2 Security to clear.)
Nice! This card doesn't affect us yet, and we can pre-emptively clear it now (presumably by doing the 'set ship phasers to stun' thing they did in one episode). Or we could hold off and do other stuff with our dice. Up to you!

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year two of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Medical: 2/3

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Planetary Guards (Away Team expansion. The away team may not complete any other actions until this card is defeated by the away team. Costs 2 Command OR 2 Security to clear.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
It does say "until this card is defeated by the Away Team", I'd have thought that meant we couldn't use ship phasers.

Anyway, let's change our 3 Science Dice into a Security Die (or 2 Sci + 1 Med if we can't use Spock's free die for this), spend this plus our other Security Die to clear Threat, then lock in the Command and the Engineering dice ready for the Transport step next turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

It does say "until this card is defeated by the Away Team", I'd have thought that meant we couldn't use ship phasers.

Oooh, good catch. My mistake. Well, at least it doesn't do anything currently.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sounds like a job for the communicator:
1 Command die to Communicator, Discard Personnel Transfer, 1 Security die and a 3 dice combo of Med team+Spock Clear sensors, 1 Engineering die standby

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

1 Security die and a 3 dice combo of Med team+Spock Clear sensors

If you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do here, it won't work. Mr. Spock produces a Science point, not a Science Die. You need three actual Crew Dice to perform the 'treat three Crew Dice as a single Crew Die of any type' action.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Let's keep making headway where we can.
1. Clear objectives where possible - use the Engineering die to initiate transport.
2. Use the Security die to clear Sensors, and two of our Threat.
3. Okay, here's where it gets weird. Discard Personnel Transfer, we're unlikely to use it in the foreseeable future.
4. Use the Dilithium Deposits so we have 2 tech slots open. They're not super useful at the moment, but we can get more later.
5. Use the Command die to pick up Shuttlecraft Galileo.
6. Use Spock and the two Medical dice to get the Tricorder.
7. Exchange the Shuttlecraft and the Tricorder for the Communicator, which we'll need next turn. This sweeps all development cards letting us see some new ones, and gives us two open spaces to put consumeables (including the Communicator, which we'll be able to use next turn).
8. Bank one science die for next turn.
9. Deploy 6 crew down in the away team.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Sounds like a job for the communicator:
1 Command die to Communicator, Discard Personnel Transfer, 1 Security die and a 3 dice combo of Med team+Spock Clear sensors, 1 Engineering die standby

While, as previously noted, this plan is flawed, it's still possible to accomplish your goals, and the dice picked you, so let's do it. We put a Command Die on Communicator, discard Personnel Transfer, treat two Medical Dice and a Science Die as a Security Die, use that and the actual Security Die to Clear Sensors, and lock in the Engineering Die. The remaining Science Die, and Mr. Spock's bonus, go unused.

Next turn rolls around, and we draw a new Event Card:
  • Transporter Malfunction (Shipboard event. The Transport action may not be used. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)

Claiming the Shuttlecraft Galileo Development Card would let us ignore this, once, but whether we do that or simply clear the Event Card, we won't be able to Transport this turn.

Including the Engineering Die we had locked in, we roll:

We can't keep all of those Engineering Dice. Should we use Reassigned to reroll one, taking the chance it'll turn into a Threat Die, or just return it to Quarters?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 1/4
  • Security: 2/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 4/3
  • Medical: 0/3
  • Command: 0/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 8/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Transporter Malfunction (Shipboard event. The Transport action may not be used. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim. Progress: 1/2.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yes, reroll it. Then spend one Security to clear Threat, spend 2 Engineering to clear the Event card, lock 1 Engineering, and spend 2 Science + 1 Security as a Command Die to get the Communicator.

Question: do the Planetary Guards count as a Combat that Mr Spock can nerve pinch for free? Also, are we required to clear that Event and then wait until next turn before we can do Task 4?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Question: do the Planetary Guards count as a Combat that Mr Spock can nerve pinch for free? Also, are we required to clear that Event and then wait until next turn before we can do Task 4?

Combat is a type of Mission Stage. We haven't seen it yet. As for the use of turns, provided we get the necessary dice and don't have further interference from events, the fastest method of advancing is:
  • This turn: clear Transporter Malfunction or claim Shuttlecraft Galileo.
  • Next turn: complete the Transport Action.
  • The turn after that: clear Planetary Guards. If we have dice left over, we can also complete Influence that turn, but we must clear Planetary Guards first.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Reroll the surplus die, please. If it's not threat or more engineering, bank it for next turn with whatever it rolls. - Since we have rolled a Command die, hold it for now.
Other than that, we need to get out of this mission with all haste, these events are bad news.
1. Clear Transporter malfunction with 2 Engineering dice.
2. Bank the surplus engineering die
3. Convert the two Science dice and a Security die to a Command die and take Communicator.
4. Use the remaining security die to clear the threat.

EDIT: orders changed with new information

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 27, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As no one has objected, we reroll the excess Engineering Die and get a Command Die. Given that, what should we do this turn?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2 Engineering dice to clear Transporter Issues, Command die to finish communicator, one Security die to Clear Sensors, pretty sure we have 2 Science and 1 Security dice left over for Shuttlecraft Galileo

Just in case.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
  • Spend one Security to clear Threat.
  • Spend 2 Engineering to clear the Transporter Malfunction card.
  • Spend 2 Science + 1 Security as a Command Die to get the Communicator.
  • Lock 1 Engineering Die and 1 Command Die.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

2. Use the remaining Engineering die to perform the Transport action. (If possible? You indicated above that it can't be done this turn, does the event prevent us from performing the mission objective on the turn we clear it?) If not possible, bank it for next turn.
We are still on the same turn as Task 2 (which was draw an Event card, we drew the Transporter malfunction) and we can't clear two objectives on the same turn.

habituallyred posted:

pretty sure we have 2 Science and 1 Security dice left over for Shuttlecraft Galileo
We do, but we don't have space in our hand - we have a max of 9 cards, so we can get either the Communicator or the Shuttlecraft but not both. Unless we throw something away.

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 27, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

We are still on the same turn as Task 2 (which was draw an Event card, we drew the Transporter malfunction) and we can't clear two objectives on the same turn.

We do, but we don't have space in our hand - we have a max of 9 cards, so we can get either the Communicator or the Shuttlecraft but not both. Unless we throw something away.

Correct on all counts.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Reroll the surplus die, please. If it's not threat or more engineering, bank it for next turn with whatever it rolls. - Since we have rolled a Command die, hold it for now.
Other than that, we need to get out of this mission with all haste, these events are bad news.
1. Clear Transporter malfunction with 2 Engineering dice.
2. Bank the surplus engineering die
3. Convert the two Science dice and a Security die to a Command die and take Communicator.
4. Use the remaining security die to clear the threat.

EDIT: orders changed with new information

Done. We draw a new Development Card...
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
...and a new Event Card as the next turn starts.
  • Tribbles (Shipboard event. Roll a Crew Die. Place a token on a corresponding Crew Station. This station is blocked. Costs one Command and one Engineering to clear.)

Rolling gives us a Medical Die. Now we roll the dice. Counting the Engineering and Command Dice we held over from last turn, we get:

Which puts us in the same situation as last turn. Do we reroll the extra Engineering Die?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Engineering: 4/3
  • Medical: 0/3 (-1)
  • Science: 0 (+1)/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 7/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Tribbles (Shipboard event. Roll a Crew Die. Place a token on a corresponding Crew Station. This station is blocked. Costs one Command and one Engineering to clear.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 27, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Don't reroll the Engineering die, because that risks us hitting 4 Threat, which would be bad.

Spend 1 Engineering to Transport, spend 1 Command + 1 Engineering to sweep up the tribbles (I'm almost surprised that they don't block an extra station every turn!), then spend 2 Security to clear scanners. Beam down 7 crew.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Don't reroll the Engineering die, because that risks us hitting 4 Threat, which would be bad.

Spend 1 Engineering to Transport, spend 1 Command + 1 Engineering to sweep up the tribbles (I'm almost surprised that they don't block an extra station every turn!), then spend 2 Security to clear scanners. Beam down 7 crew.

Done in all regards. A new turn means a new Event Card:
  • Hull Breach (Shipboard event. Take two Hull Damage as a Mission Event. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)

Well, poo poo. Because it's a shipboard event, only shipboard Crew Dice work on it, and because it's a Mission Event, it happens every turn. We can use away team Crew Dice to repair the damage, but this has the potential to get very nasty very quickly. And since we drew it as part of the Mission Card's Mission Event (as opposed to being due to Threat Dice or a Mission Stage), it activates immediately.

Since I'm not sure I explained this earlier, damage normally applies to shields first, if up. This card specifies Hull Damage, unfortunately, so that wouldn't help. Once we're out of Hull, further damage sends Crew Dice from Quarters or Crew Stations to Sickbay. My reading of the rules is that this does not affect the away team - but if all shipboard Crew Dice (not counting Threat Dice) are sent to Sickbay, the Enterprise is destroyed!

Cross fingers we get some useful dice...

Okay. We get some good news; those two away team Security Dice will let us clear Planetary Guards, which I assume you'll want to do as it lets you do, well, anything else. But what do we do after that? (Also, quick note: the mission status shows Mr. Spock applying to shipboard Science, but you can use him for away team Science instead.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ ##      \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Engineering: 0/3
Away team crew assignments:
  • Wild Dice: 0/10
  • Security: 2/2
  • Engineering: 1/2
  • Medical: 2/2
  • Science: 2/2
  • Pool: 0/10
Hull: 5/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 6/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Hull Breach (Shipboard event. Take two Hull Damage as a Mission Event. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Command to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 28, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay. Okay okay okay. We can (maybe!) do this.

1. Use Reassigned to reroll an Away Team Science Die. We're hoping for a Command Die here.
2. As you said, spend 2 Away Team Security Dice to clear Planetary Guards.
3. Spend the Communicator to complete Task 4.
4. Spend our Away Team Engineering die to Repair Hull.
5a. If our re-roll gave us a Command Die (or wild die), then spend it to change our Shipboard Command Die into an Engineering Die, spend 2 Away Team Medical +1 Away Team Science as another Command Die to change our Shipboard Security Die into an Engineering Die and spend these two Engineering on fixing the Hull Breach.
5b. If our re-roll was not kind, use our Shipboard Command Die to change our Shipboard Security Die into an Engineering Die and lock it, then spend 2 Away Team Medical +1 Away Team Science as a Security Die and clear scanners.

Does the Hull Breach go away by itself if we complete the mission?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Does the Hull Breach go away by itself if we complete the mission?

No. The only way to get rid of an Event Card without somehow clearing it is if you wind up with nine Event Cards and have to draw another. Even then, which one you get rid of is random.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, still focusing on getting out of here before too many new things go wrong. Reroll a science die on the away team, please. If it can be contained with current stations, I'd like it held for next turn.
1. Use the two security dice on the ground to clear the Planetary Guards.
2. Use the Communicator development card to solve the Influence objective.
3. Use the Away Team engineering die to repair the hull back up to full.
4. Convert the two Medical and one Science dice on the Away Team to Security and clear the threat.
5. Use the Command die on the shipboard Security to change it to Engineering and lock it in for next turn. We should be able to clear the Hull Breach next turn unless things get notably worse.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Surely a dice has to be shipboard to reepair hull damage?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

Surely a dice has to be shipboard to reepair hull damage?

Oddly enough, no. (And don't call me Shirley.) Or at least I can see no rule against it in the Away Team rules.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Okay, still focusing on getting out of here before too many new things go wrong. Reroll a science die on the away team, please. If it can be contained with current stations, I'd like it held for next turn.
1. Use the two security dice on the ground to clear the Planetary Guards.
2. Use the Communicator development card to solve the Influence objective.
3. Use the Away Team engineering die to repair the hull back up to full.
4. Convert the two Medical and one Science dice on the Away Team to Security and clear the threat.
5. Use the Command die on the shipboard Security to change it to Engineering and lock it in for next turn. We should be able to clear the Hull Breach next turn unless things get notably worse.

Rerolling the Science Die gives an Engineering Die. We lock it, and the remaining Engineering Die on the ship, in.

Next turn rolls around, and we draw a new Event Card:
  • Weapons Malfunction (Reroll Security Dice once. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)
The Hull Breach event kicks in again, putting us back at five Hull. Then it's time to roll. Counting the locked-in dice, and rerolling Security Dice, we get:

We can finish this Mission Card this turn, and there's no reason I can see not to do so unless you crave the Galileo, which is the Development Card we'd have to toss. We've also got more than enough Engineering Dice and Wild Dice to clear both Events (literally; unless you have some reason not to use Reassigned to roll the excess Engineering Die on the away team, I'll assume you want to do that). Whoops; forgot the Away Team can't clear the Hull Breach Event. So what do we want to accomplish this turn?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ ##      \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 0/3 (+1)
Away team crew assignments:
  • Wild Dice: 2/10
  • Security: 0/2
  • Engineering: 3/2
  • Medical: 0/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Command: 2/2
  • Pool: 0/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 5/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Weapons Malfunction (Reroll Security Dice once. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We might as well re-roll that extra Engineering die.

Use 1 Away Team Command die to change the shipboard Command die into an Engineering die. Use the two shipboard Engineering dice to fix that Hull Breach.
Use 2 Away Team Engineering dice to clear the Weapons Malfunction.
Use 2 Away Team Wild dice as Science dice to claim the Tricorder.
If our re-roll came up Security then Clear Scanners, if it came up Wild then Repair Hull.
Complete the Mission Card.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gah, this is a bit rough, but we can do it. The surplus engineering die is not relevant to my plans.
1. Use a wild die on the away team as command to convert the command on the ship to engineering.
2. Since we have two engineering on the ship, use them to clear the hull breach.
3. Use the remaining wild die to fix two points of hull if possible or clear the die of threat if it is not.
4. Since Weapons Malfunction doesn't require shipboard personnel, the two Engineering members on Away team can handle it.
5. This leaves one command die, but I'd rather pass on taking Shuttlecraft Galileo - I think the other two cards are more useful and don't want them to be discarded. So instead let's complete the development objective and leave this eventful world.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

We might as well re-roll that extra Engineering die.

Done. We get a Science Die instead, which isn't helpful to your plan.

quote:

Use 1 Away Team Command die to change the shipboard Command die into an Engineering die. Use the two shipboard Engineering dice to fix that Hull Breach.

Very clever! I hadn't thought of this.

quote:

Use 2 Away Team Engineering dice to clear the Weapons Malfunction.
Use 2 Away Team Wild dice as Science dice to claim the Tricorder.
If our re-roll came up Security then Clear Scanners, if it came up Wild then Repair Hull.
Complete the Mission Card.

We discard Shuttlecraft Galileo and claim Tricorder. With the Mission Card completed, the away team returns to the ship. (And I notice that I forgot to note the damage from Hull Breach in Mission Status. It's updated now.) Then we draw two new Development Cards.
  • Reroute Power to Phasers (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Security to complete shipboard challenges. Costs one Security and one Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
Then we move into year three, which means a new Mission Card.

Assist with Medical Crisis posted:

Mission Stages:
  1. Travel: Pay two Engineering.
  2. Scan: Pay two Science.
  3. Transport: Shields must be down. Pay one Engineering.
  4. Cure: Pay two Medical.

And that means a new Event Card.
  • Communications Blackout (Reroll Command Dice once. Costs two Science to clear.)
And that means I had to reroll the Command Die we got during Roll Call, so our final result is:

We can do some stuff with that. What do we want to do?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ ##      \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year three of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Engineering: 2/3
  • Medical: 1/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 10/10

Active Mission Card: Assist with Medical Crisis.
Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Communications Blackout (Reroll Command Dice once. Costs two Science to clear.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Science to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Phasers (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Security to complete shipboard challenges. Costs one Security and one Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs 1 Command to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Done. We get a Science Die instead, which isn't helpful to your plan.
Of course now I realise that we could have spend that in place of a Wild Die when we claimed the Tricorder, which would have let us use that Wild die as Engineering to Repair Hull. Oh well.

Let's spend 2 Science to clear the Comms Blackout, spend 2 Engineering on Travel, spend 1 Security to clear scanners and lock in the other Security.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2 Science for Comms Blackout, 2 Engineering for Travel, 2 Security for Clearing Sensors

Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, new year, new mission. We can do this!
1. Use Spock and a science die to clear the Communications Blackout event.
2. Use the two engineering dice to clear the Travel objective.
3. Use the two Security dice to clear the threat.
4. We'll need at least one Science next turn + Spock for the next objective, so hold the remaining science die.
5. The remaining medical die isn't going to be useful for at least 2 turns, so it can return to quarters.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Let's spend 2 Science to clear the Comms Blackout, spend 2 Engineering on Travel, spend 1 Security to clear scanners and lock in the other Security.

All right. Let's see what Event Card we draw this turn!
  • Alien Entity (Place the first Security Die from Roll Call each turn on this card. As a Mission Event, take one Damage per Security Die on this card. Costs 2 Command to clear. Current Security Dice: 0/3.)

Oooh, I've been waiting for this nasty little number to show up. There are a few upsides, though. The first is that the damage is done as a Mission Event, which is obviously unpleasant, but also means that, since the Mission Event is going off now, we won't take damage this turn. The second is that this is generic damage, which means that raising shields (which uses one Science) will absorb it.

We roll the eight Crew Dice in Quarters...

...and the Security Die goes straight to Alien Entity. We also roll one more Command Die than we can keep, which means we have to decide whether to use Reassigned or not.

So. Now what do we do?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ ##      \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year three of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Engineering: 3/3
  • Science: 1 (+1)/3
  • Command: 3/2

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Alien Entity (Place the first Security Die from Roll Call each turn on this card. As a Mission Event, take one Damage per Security Die on this card. Costs 2 Command to clear. Current Security Dice: 1/3.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Science to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, with a different roll that could be a nasty card. Fortunately, the dice have been kind!

Let's use Reassigned to re-roll that Command die. Then let's spend 2 Command to punch the alien in the face, spend 2 Science to complete Task 2, and spend our 1 Security to clear scanners. Spend 1 Engineering to Repair Hull, lock in the other 2 Engineering, and if our re-roll was another Security die then lock it.

I think that's everything useful we can do this turn?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Gah! This alien entity means business!
1. Reroll the surplus command die.
2. Use the two command to deal with the Entity event. We don't want this to get worse.
3. Use the science die and Spock to complete the Scan objective.
4. Use one engineering die to repair the hull.
5. Use the security die to clear all threat.
6. Keep one engineering die for next turn.
7. If the Reassigned roll comes up as anything other than Engineering, Threat, or Command, hold it for next turn. Otherwise, it can be returned to quarters unused.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Gah! This alien entity means business!
1. Reroll the surplus command die.
2. Use the two command to deal with the Entity event. We don't want this to get worse.
3. Use the science die and Spock to complete the Scan objective.
4. Use one engineering die to repair the hull.
5. Use the security die to clear all threat.
6. Keep one engineering die for next turn.
7. If the Reassigned roll comes up as anything other than Engineering, Threat, or Command, hold it for next turn. Otherwise, it can be returned to quarters unused.

Rerolling the extra Command Die gives us a Science Die; as instructed, I save it, and one Engineering Die, for next turn. Our new Event Card is:
  • Explosive Decompression (Shipboard event. Send one active Crew Die to Sickbay. As a Mission Event, take one Hull Damage. Costs one Science, one Medical, and one Engineering to clear.)
So before we even roll Crew Dice, we have a choice to make: should we send the Science Die or the Engineering Die to Sickbay?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ #       \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4
  • Security: 0/3 (+1)
  • Quarters: 8/10
Hull: 6/7

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Explosive Decompression (Shipboard event. Send one active Crew Die to Sickbay. As a Mission Event, take one Hull Damage. Costs one Science, one Medical, and one Engineering to clear.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ditch the Science die - Spock can make up the difference, and we need Engineering both to fix this and beam down.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Ditch the Science die - Spock can make up the difference, and we need Engineering both to fix this and beam down.

In the interest of getting to more interesting decisions, I'll do that. Rolling the eight Crew Dice still in Quarters gives us:

Ow. (By the way, don't forget to say how many Crew Dice to send down if your plans include completing the Mission Stage.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ #       \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Engineering: 2/3
  • Medical: 1/3
  • Sickbay: 1/10
Hull: 6/7

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend 1 Engineering + 1 Medical + Spock's Science to fix the Explosive Decompression. Seriously, what's up with our hull this episode? Did we use the wrong sort of duct tape on the hull breach?
Spend the other Engineering to beam down.
Use 1 Command to change the Science Die to Security, then use both Security to clear scanners.
Beam down 6 dice. Hopefully we'll be able to get that one out of Sickbay next turn.