Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Spend 1 Engineering, 1 Medical, and Spock's Science to clear Explosive Decompression.Use the Command die to change the Science die to Medical and then use it to heal our injured. Use 1 Security to Clear Sensors (rolling with one threat is an acceptable risk). Then use 1 Engineering to beam down 6 crew dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Really enjoying this so far - there's enough variation between missions and events that it feels rewarding to think them through. Choices feel meaningful.
1. First priority should be to complete the mission. Use one engineering die to complete the Transport objective.
2. Next we need to deal with the explosive decompression before it gets any worse. Use Spock, the remaining engineering die, and the medical die to clear that.
3. We had a rough roll with a lot of threat this time, so use the Security die to clear off two of the threat.
4. Use the Command die to convert the remaining Science die to Medical, use that medical die to heal the person in sickbay.
5. We'll still have a Threat and a person in sickbay, so send 5 people down to the planet. We can realistically get at least one medical die and one non-medical die that can be converted with a Command die, but still leaves us with people on board to deal with any events to come up there.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 4, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Technowolf posted:

Spend 1 Engineering, 1 Medical, and Spock's Science to clear Explosive Decompression.Use the Command die to change the Science die to Medical and then use it to heal our injured. Use 1 Security to Clear Sensors (rolling with one threat is an acceptable risk). Then use 1 Engineering to beam down 6 crew dice.
Okay! Let's see what Event Card is in store.
  • Plague Planet (Away Team expansion. As a Mission Event, send one away team Crew Die to Sickbay. Costs two Science to clear.)

...well, we did come here to deal with a medical crisis. Next, we roll some dice.

Can I just say the game has been pretty kind to us so far? We got a softball first year mission, and so far the dice have not been stingy.

__________________           __
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____
              ||    \----.________.----/
              ||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ #       \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year three of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

Shipboard crew assignments:
  • Threat Level (Scanners): 1/4
  • Security: 1/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 0/3
  • Medical: 1/3
  • Science: 0 (+1)/3
  • Command: 1/2
  • Quarters: 0/10
  • Sickbay: 1/10
Away team crew assignments:
  • Wild Dice: 2/10
  • Security: 0/2
  • Engineering: 1/2
  • Medical: 0/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Command: 2/2
  • Pool: 0/10
Shields: 0/5
Hull: 6/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 7/10

Active Mission Card: Assist with Medical Crisis.
Mission Event: Draw an Event Card.
Mission Stages:
  1. Travel: Pay two Engineering.
  2. Scan: Pay two Science.
  3. Transport: Shields must be down. Pay one Engineering.
  4. Cure: Pay two Medical.
  5. Development: Draw one Development Card.
Active Event Cards:
  • Plague Planet (Away Team expansion. As a Mission Event, send one away team Crew Die to Sickbay. Costs two Science to clear.)
Active Development Cards:
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Science to claim.)
Available Development Cards (the Offer):
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Phasers (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Security to complete shipboard challenges. Costs one Security and one Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs 1 Command to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Can I just say the game has been pretty kind to us so far? We got a softball first year mission, and so far the dice have not been stingy.

Yeah, we were really lucky with that first mission - if we hadn't been able to tech up to getting our security, medical and engineering to work at double efficiency we'd really have been struggling so far.

Shipboard: Spend 1 Security to clear scanners, spend 1 Medical to Heal, lock in 1 Command.
Planetside: Spend 2 Wild dice as Medical to complete Task 4. Spend 1 Command to change the other Command into a Science, spend 1 Science + Spock to un-plague the planet. Spend 1 Engineering to Repair Hull.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2 Wild Dice for curing, Order away team Engineering die and 1 Command die into Science die and clear the plague, Medical to Heal, Security to Clear Sensors, Spock to raise shields

Just in case.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
1. Use the two wild dice to clear the Plague Planet event before that makes this much more difficult.
2. Use the ship's command die to change the away team engineering die to medical.
3. Use one of the away team command dice to change the other away team command die to a second medical die.
4. Use the two newly minted away team medical dice to clear the Cure objective.
5. Use the security die to clear the scanners.
6. Use the ship's medical die to clear the sickbay.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

2 Wild Dice for curing, Order away team Engineering die and 1 Command die into Science die and clear the plague, Medical to Heal, Security to Clear Sensors, Spock to raise shields

Just in case.

Shields up! Note that shields don't interfere with retrieving an away team, only deploying one.

The next turn brings us:
  • By the Book (Away Team expansion. Tactics Development Cards have no effect. Costs 2 Command to clear.)
While this card is active, we can't use Security Station, Reassigned, or Vulcan Nerve Pinch. The first and last haven't come up, but the second could be an issue.

We roll:

Looks like I spoke too soon. Since Security Station is disabled, we can't keep the fourth Security Die, and since Reassigned is disabled, we can't reroll it. Still, all we have to do to finish the mission is discard Dilithium Deposits (2). The question is, what else do we want to do?

__________________           __         \\\\\
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____ \\\\\
              ||    \----.________.----/  |||||
              ||     / /    `--'          |||||
            __||____/ /_                  |||||
           |___ #       \                /////
               `--------'               /////

MISSION STATUS

It is year three of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4
  • Security: 3/3 (+1)
  • Medical: 0/3
  • Quarters: 1/10
  • Sickbay: 0/10
  • Wild Dice: 1/10
  • Security: 0/2
  • Engineering: 1/2
  • Science: 1/2
Shields: 5/5
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 6/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • By the Book (Away Team expansion. Tactics Development Cards have no effect. Costs 2 Command to clear.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Phasers (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Security to complete shipboard challenges. Costs one Security and one Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs 1 Command to claim.)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Stall, Use dilithium 1, Away Team Command dice shred the rulebook, Engineering die and 3 Security dice to acquire Dilithium 2, lock in the Command die on the ship

The only thing better than dilithium 1 is dilithium 2.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
1. Use the two Away Team command dice to clear the By the Book event.
2. Use the Dilithium deposits (1).
3. Convert 2 security dice to one engineering die.
4. Use the 2 engineering dice to pick up Dilithium Deposits (2) to replace the one we used earlier. The ability to stay on task another couple of turns will likely be relevant down the line.
5. Use the wild die to fix the hull.
6. Complete the Development objective. I don't want us to get caught by another nasty event and I don't think it likely that we'll see a development card we need immediately over what we have already, and would rather move on.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

4. Use the 2 engineering dice to pick up Dilithium Deposits (2) to replace the one we used earlier. The ability to stay on task another couple of turns will likely be relevant down the line.
6. Complete the Development objective. I don't want us to get caught by another nasty event and I don't think it likely that we'll see a development card we need immediately over what we have already, and would rather move on.

We can't complete the Development Mission Stage and claim Dilithium Deposits (2). Actually claiming a Development Card happens during the Cleanup Phase, while completing a Mission Stage happens during the Deployment Phase (the phase we're in).

Also, I've realized I made a mistake earlier. Clearing Event Cards also happens during the Cleanup Phase, which means that they remain active until the Deployment Phase is complete. The Planetary Guards Event Card says, "The away team may not complete any other actions until this card is defeated by the away team." This means that the away team can't do anything but clear this card on a given turn. Obviously, I'll let the results stand, but I'll remember this for later.

habituallyred posted:

Stall, Use dilithium 1, Away Team Command dice shred the rulebook, Engineering die and 3 Security dice to acquire Dilithium 2, lock in the Command die on the ship

The only thing better than dilithium 1 is dilithium 2.

Security Dice convert to Engineering Dice at a 2:1 ratio. (The easiest way to remember this is that Crew Dice of the same color convert to each other at a 2:1 ratio.) I'm going to go ahead and send the unused Security Die to Quarters, but remember this for later.

We draw a new Development Card...
  • Reroute Power to Engines (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Engineering to complete Travel actions. Costs one Command and one Engineering to claim.)
...and a new Event Card.
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs 3 Security to clear.)
Oh boy. It's a good thing we raised shields. And because all of a sudden saving that Security Die from last turn would have been a good idea, I went ahead and flipped a coin to decide whether I should be nice to you and let you have kept it. Luckily for you, it came up heads.

So let's see how the other eight Crew Dice shake out.

As a reminder, away team Crew Dice can't be used to clear a shipboard event. Also, completing the Development Mission Stage requires discarding Reroute Power to Phasers. Also also, you can re-raise the shields (putting them back at 5/5) by using Science; you don't have to lower them first.

By the way, my updates have been getting increasingly terse. Part of this is that I don't want to say 'well, it looks like you could do this, this, and this' in fear of basically playing the game for you. Another part is that I decided against trying to string together some fanfic explaining the events of the game. I'm worried that I may be getting too terse, however. Are the updates fine as-is, or is there something you'd like to see in them?

__________________           __         \\\
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____ \\\
              ||    \----.________.----/  |||
              ||     / /    `--'          |||
            __||____/ /_                  |||
           |___ #       \                ///
               `--------'               ///

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 2/3 (+1)
  • Wild Dice: 2/10
  • Security: 1/2
  • Engineering: 2/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Command: 0/2
Shields: 3/5

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs 3 Security to clear.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Engines (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Engineering to complete Travel actions. Costs one Command and one Engineering to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's spend 2 Wild dice as Command dice to change the shipboard Command and Medical dice into Security, then OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!
Then let's Repair Hull with an Engineering die, draw one Development card to complete Task 5, and blow this popsicle stand.

I think your updates are fine, though I do enjoy those Star Trek images you throw in every now and again.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I like the updates. While more flavor would be good too, the randomness of the events would make it really hard to have the flavor make sense.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
:argh: Turn order, my old nemesis, we meet again! Okay, so it's mission events/ stuff that happens to us, then deployment/we roll and assign people, then cleanup where we discard completed missions, then events, then developments in that order.
The updates have been very enjoyable - I prefer puzzling out the options for myself, but I also find it easy to skip over your recommendations so it works for me either way. The screenshots are definitely adding character, but it would be immensely difficult to piece together any real fiction for this without knowing the events in advance. The flavor is appreciated, though.

Interesting new devlopment card - it looks like there might be a very real Dilithium Build with the right cards, but we lucked into some real quality early on.
1. Use a Shipboard command die to change the onboard Medical die to security.
2. Use the three security dice to clear the Klingon Battlecruiser event.
3. Use an engineering die to fix the hull.
4. Complete the Development objective and let's skedaddle. Now the Klingons are getting involved, and we don't want to antagonize them!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Now the Klingons are getting involved, and we don't want to antagonize them!

Counterpoint: we are James T. Kirk. We totally want to antagonize them.

And/or sleep with them.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Let's spend 2 Wild dice as Command dice to change the shipboard Command and Medical dice into Security, then OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!

I think you're thinking of a different sci-fi franchise.

quote:

Then let's Repair Hull with an Engineering die, draw one Development card to complete Task 5, and blow this popsicle stand.

I think your updates are fine, though I do enjoy those Star Trek images you throw in every now and again.

Well, I'll be sure to do it more often, then.

We draw a Development Card...
  • Lieutenant Uhura (Personnel card. Return the first Threat Die rolled each turn to Quarters. Costs two Science and two Engineering to claim.)

...and complete the mission. Which means we're now in year four!

As previously mentioned, the five-year mission gets more difficult as the years pass. Because we've been playing on Easy difficulty, those effects haven't kicked in - until now. It's a good thing you patched the hull when you did, because the Repair Hull action now costs two Engineering. (It does still repair two Hull, though.)

Avert Diplomatic Crisis posted:

Mission Stages:
  2. Combat: Pay two Security.
  3. Influence: Pay two Command.
  4. Development: Draw one Development Card.

No call for the away team on this one, and one fewer Mission Stage. And we can complete the Combat Mission Stage for free. Nice. And as our first Event Card of the mission, we draw...
  • Scanner Malfunction (Shipboard event. Place a token on one Scanner Station. This station is blocked. Costs two Science and two Engineering to clear.)

Well, that could be an issue. It now only takes three Threat Dice to cause us to draw an Event Card. Cross fingers!

Well, we got through that. Just.

|___         \                ///

MISSION STATUS

It is year four of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)
Wear and tear effects: Repair Hull action costs another Engineering.

• Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4 (-1)
  • Engineering: 1/3
  • Medical: 3/3
  • Science: 3 (+1)/3
  • Command: 0/2
Hull: 7/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 10/10

Active Mission Card: Avert Diplomatic Crisis.
Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Scanner Malfunction (Shipboard event. Place a token on one Scanner Station. This station is blocked. Costs two Science and two Engineering to clear.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost three Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost three Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost two Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost three Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost five Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost three Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost one Security and one Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost two Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost two Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs one Command to claim.)
  • Lieutenant Uhura (Personnel card. Return the first Threat Die rolled each turn to Quarters. Costs two Science and two Engineering to claim.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well that could have gone badly! We're hitting the point where the hand limit on Development cards is going to start to hurt. What's everyone's opinion on which ones we can live without? I'm thinking we're not getting a huge amount of use out of the Security Station.

Anyway, let's spend 1 Security to clear scanners, convert 3 Medical into 1 Engineering die and spend it with the other to complete Task 1, bank 2 Science on the Scanner Malfunction and spend the other 1 to Raise Shields. It's a bit of a risk but I think we're best off progressing the mission when we can, and given that the next stage is free I'm hoping we can get more done next turn.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
New mission year, new events, new priorities. The roll could have been worse, and definitely could have been more useful, but we play the dice we're dealt.

1. Use the Security die to clear scanners.
2. Convert 3 Medical dice to 1 Engineering.
3. Use the two Engineering dice and the Tricorder to clear the Sensor malfunction event. We don't want to roll three Threat next turn and have things escalate further.
4. Use Spock to bring the shields fully back up - we're fully on-ship this time, so no away team, so we won't need to beam people down but we might catch another Klingon ship in the face.
5. This should leave us with three Science dice - apply two of them to Uhura. Autocancelling a Threat seems incredibly potent.
6. Return the remaining science die to quarters.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Anyway, let's spend 1 Security to clear scanners, convert 3 Medical into 1 Engineering die and spend it with the other to complete Task 1, bank 2 Science on the Scanner Malfunction and spend the other 1 to Raise Shields. It's a bit of a risk but I think we're best off progressing the mission when we can, and given that the next stage is free I'm hoping we can get more done next turn.

Done. Our next Event Card is:
  • Heroic Sacrifice (Away Team expansion. Discard one Personnel Card and choose to either complete one Mission Stage, increase the Dilithium Reserves by two, or move one Crew Die from any location to any other location. Then discard.)

inflatablefish, in a painful moment of irony, posted:

We're hitting the point where the hand limit on Development cards is going to start to hurt. What's everyone's opinion on which ones we can live without?

Well, poo poo. Mr. Spock is the only Personnel Card we have. The only useful option is to complete the Mission Stage while we still can, so we do that.

So. Good news: since we completed a Mission Stage during the Mission Event, we can complete the next one this turn. Or we could, if we had the Command. Reassigned might get us a second Command, but the odds are low. Or we could bank the Command Die we do have for next turn. I dunno. Up to you.

|___         \                /////

MISSION STATUS

It is year four of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4 (-1)
  • Security: 2/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 2/3
  • Medical: 2/3
  • Science: 1/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 9/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Scanner Malfunction (Shipboard event. Place a token on one Scanner Station. This station is blocked. Costs two Science and two Engineering to clear. Current progress: 2/2 Science, 0/2 Engineering.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost three Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost three Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost two Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost three Engineering to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost three Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security. Cost one Security and one Science to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science to one Challenge, then discard. Cost two Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost two Engineering to claim.)
  • Rousing Speech (Tactics card. You may reroll one Threat Die during Roll Call; if you do, discard Rousing Speech. Costs one Command to claim.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRf1SaX5uBo&t=20s

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
RIP Spock. Personally, I think we can hold off on completing this step, and instead Use the Command Die to change one of our dice to Science, and the use the two Science and two Engineer dice to grab Uhura to replace our poor Vulcan. The ability to drop one rolled Threat for free sounds pretty drat useful and will help limit any unexpected surprise Events when we're already dealing with one.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Use Reassigned on a medical die: if command then complete mission, 2 Engineering dice to clear scanner malfunction, 1 science die to Uhura

One contingency might be one too many, so I'll leave it at that.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Use 2 Medical (as one Science), one Science, and 2 Engineering to claim Uhura. Re-roll one of our Security dice and pray to the Prophets for a second command die. If we get it then complete the mission step. Otherwise, lock in our 1 command from this turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spend 2 Engineering to clear the Scanner Malfunction.
Convert 2 Security to 1 Engineering, convert 2 Med + 1 Sci to 1 Engineering, spend with the Tricorder to collect Uhura.
Bank the Command Die for next turn.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

inflatablefish posted:

Spend 2 Engineering to clear the Scanner Malfunction.
Convert 2 Security to 1 Engineering, convert 2 Med + 1 Sci to 1 Engineering, spend with the Tricorder to collect Uhura.
Bank the Command Die for next turn.

Tricorder's only for challenges.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Ooof, that's a punch in the gut. What would have happened if we didn't have a personnel development card? Would it have lingered, waiting for us to get one? Or would it just do nothing? In any case, Spock will be missed.

1. Use two Engineering dice to clear the Scanner Malfunction event.
2. Use the Command die to change a Medical die to Engineering.
3. Allocate the Engineering and Science dice to Uhura, giving us a good start on picking her up next turn.
4. This leaves us with two Security dice and one Medical die. Convert them into a Command die and take the Rousing Speech development card. Use it on the next threat that is rolled - keeping a development slot open is nice, but we need to see some churn on the development cards if we want to find better replacements.

Sidenote: Our Tactics cards have been only of limited use so far - Security Station occasionally allows us an extra die, Reassigned is not bad but awkward to use in this format, and due to bizarre coincidence Spock let us skip the Combat objective entirely this time. We should keep an eye open for replacements.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Ooof, that's a punch in the gut. What would have happened if we didn't have a personnel development card? Would it have lingered, waiting for us to get one? Or would it just do nothing? In any case, Spock will be missed.

My ruling is that it would do nothing.

Lots of opinions on what we should do this turn! The dice choose:

Rorahusky posted:

RIP Spock. Personally, I think we can hold off on completing this step, and instead Use the Command Die to change one of our dice to Science, and the use the two Science and two Engineer dice to grab Uhura to replace our poor Vulcan. The ability to drop one rolled Threat for free sounds pretty drat useful and will help limit any unexpected surprise Events when we're already dealing with one.

As a reminder, you can turn two Medical Dice into one Science Die, so you don't need to use a Command Die for that. I assume you'd want to instead bank the Command Die for next turn, so I do that.

We draw a new Development Card...
  • Dilithium Deposits (3) (Technology card. Add three Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs three Engineering to claim.)

...and a new Event Card.
  • Enemy Fleet Detected (Shipboard event. Away Team expansion. Search the Event Deck and discard pile for Klingon Battlecruisers. Place any you find on top of the Event Deck. Then discard.)

Welp, I guess we know what the next three Event Cards will be!

Rolling the Crew Dice gives us:

Thanks to Uhura, one of those Threat Dice goes back to Quarters. And since we saved a Command Die, we can complete the Mission Stage this turn. Or we could use them to get the Engineering Dice we need to clear Scanner Malfunction. Or we could do something else. Up to you!

|___         \                /////

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 1/4 (-1)
  • Science: 1/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 8/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Scanner Malfunction (Shipboard event. Place a token on one Scanner Station. This station is blocked. Costs two Science and two Engineering to clear. Current progress: 2/2 Science, 0/2 Engineering.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. You may reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost two Command to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. You may add two bonus Science to one Challenge; if you do, discard Tricorder. Cost two Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. You may add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves; if you do, discard Dilithium Deposits (2). Cost two Engineering to claim.)
  • Lieutenant Uhura (Personnel card. Return the first Threat Die rolled each turn to Quarters. Cost two Science and two Engineering to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Engines (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Engineering to complete Travel actions. Costs one Command and one Engineering to claim.
  • Dilithium Deposits (3) (Technology card. You may add three Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves; if you do, discard Dilithium Deposits (3). Costs three Engineering to claim.)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Use 1 Security to clear sensors. Use 2 Command to progress the mission.

Blare this from every speaker on the ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wJRrvVgZI

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, a random thing I don't think I explained, though it's unlikely to be relevant this turn: you can reclaim Crew Dice from a partially completed Development Card or Event Card. This happens during the Cleanup Phase and sends them back to Quarters to be rolled next turn. The same thing happens if you're forced to discard a partially completed Development Card or if you somehow discard a partially completed Event Card.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I also prefer 'Beat to Quarters'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge2wjVbYROY

ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS!

Security personnel to torpedo tubes!

READY THE REDSHIRTS FOR LAUNCH!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting - we know what is coming, and how dangerous it is. We need to clear out of here ASAP, but the Scanner Malfunction event is risky to keep - I think we should prioritize getting rid of it first.
Note: I'm assuming we can't use Command to convert a die in Quarters, right?
1. There's only one point of Threat at the moment, so clearing the event also equates to clearing the point of threat in terms of immediate danger. So use a Command die to convert the Security die to Engineering.
2. Convert the three medical and science dice to Engineering as well.
3. Apply the two new Engineering dice to the Scanner Malfunction mission.
4. This will leave one Command die. Apply it to the Influence event so it doesn't count against our Command stations.
I'm not super worried about the battlecruisers while we still have full shields, so we'll likely be okay next turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Blare this from every speaker on the ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wJRrvVgZI

So your plan is to remind the Klingons of the time they got their asses kicked by a cloud? It's a bold strategy, Technowolf. But we're not going to see if it'd pay off for you, because the dice picked...

MaskedHuzzah posted:

1. There's only one point of Threat at the moment, so clearing the event also equates to clearing the point of threat in terms of immediate danger. So use a Command die to convert the Security die to Engineering.
2. Convert the three medical and science dice to Engineering as well.
3. Apply the two new Engineering dice to the Scanner Malfunction mission.
4. This will leave one Command die. Apply it to the Influence event so it doesn't count against our Command stations.

Scanner Malfunction is an Event Card and Influence is a Mission Stage. You can clear Scanner Malfunction, but you can't partially complete a Mission Stage, so I'm leaving your Command Die locked in instead. (Also, no, you can't use Command on Crew Dice in Quarters.)

OH GOSH I WONDER WHAT OUR NEXT EVENT CARD IS
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs three Security to clear.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi1GVeIzo4Q

The shields take a hit, but they're still holding. Then we roll the dice...

...and send one Threat Die back to Quarters. Unfortunately, we now have too much Command to keep. Do we want to use Reassigned on the extra Command Die? And what else do we want to do?

|___         \                ///

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
  • Science: 0/3
  • Command: 3/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 7/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs three Security to clear.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. You may reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost two Command to claim.)
  • Tricorder (Technology card. You may add two bonus Science to one Challenge; if you do, discard Tricorder. Cost two Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. You may add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves; if you do, discard Dilithium Deposits (2). Cost two Engineering to claim.)
  • Lieutenant Uhura (Personnel card. Return the first Threat Die rolled each turn to Quarters. Cost two Science and two Engineering to claim.)
  • Reroute Power to Engines (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. You may spend Dilithium instead of Engineering to complete Travel actions. Costs one Command and one Engineering to claim.
  • Dilithium Deposits (3) (Technology card. You may add three Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves; if you do, discard Dilithium Deposits (3). Costs three Engineering to claim.)

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Can we set a standing rule to reroll the first surplus die each turn?

Reroll that surplus Command die, 2 Command dice to Influence our mission;
if we end up with 2 Security dice combine them with 2 Engineering dice to clear the battlecruiser;
if no additional Security then use 2 Engineering dice to Clear sensors and lock 1 Security die on the battle cruiser;
if we end up with 2 Medical dice or 1 Science die refresh shields

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Can we set a standing rule to reroll the first surplus die each turn?

You can, but of course you risk rolling another Threat Die, which is why I don't do it automatically. That said, if no one objects, I can start doing it!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

You can, but of course you risk rolling another Threat Die, which is why I don't do it automatically. That said, if no one objects, I can start doing it!
How about, if we have less than 3 out of 4 Threat (so an extra Threat wouldn't give us an Event Card), we reroll automatically?

habituallyred posted:

Reroll that surplus Command die, 2 Command dice to Influence our mission;
if we end up with 2 Security dice combine them with 2 Engineering dice to clear the battlecruiser;
if no additional Security then use 2 Engineering dice to Clear sensors and lock 1 Security die on the battle cruiser;
if we end up with 2 Medical dice or 1 Science die refresh shields

I agree with all this. I was thinking something similar, but you've phrased the conditionals far better than I would have! It's easy to tell which of us was paying attention back in Starfleet Academy.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

inflatablefish posted:

How about, if we have less than 3 out of 4 Threat (so an extra Threat wouldn't give us an Event Card), we reroll automatically?

I definitely agree with this.

What happens if we complete a mission with events still around? Do they follow us to next year? Can we not declare mission accomplished with a lurking event? Or can we just go "This isn't our problem anymore, peace out!" and move on.

1. We've got the two command to deal with the Influence objective, so let's do that first.
2. Convert two engineering dice to one security die, then use that die to clear the scanners.
3. Apply the Security die to the Klingon Battlecruiser event.
4. This leaves us with a medical die, and what we do with it changes depending on the roll.
4a. If we roll a second medical die, convert it to science and raise shields.
4b. If we roll a science die, raise shields and return the medical die to quarters.
4c. If we roll a security die, apply that to the Klingon Battlecruiser event and return the medical die to quarters.
4d. If anything else is rolled, return both dice to quarters.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 11, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I definitely agree with this.

Okay, I'll do that.

quote:

What happens if we complete a mission with events still around? Do they follow us to next year?

Yes.

quote:

1. We've got the two command to deal with the Influence objective, so let's do that first.
2. Convert two engineering dice to one security die, then use that die to clear the scanners.
3. Apply the Security die to the Klingon Battlecruiser event.
4. This leaves us with a medical die, and what we do with it changes depending on the roll.
4a. If we roll a second medical die, convert it to science and raise shields.
4b. If we roll a science die, raise shields and return the medical die to quarters.
4c. If we roll a security die, apply that to the Klingon Battlecruiser event and return the medical die to quarters.
4d. If anything else is rolled, return both dice to quarters.

So another timing issue. Reassigned says it happens during Roll Call, so we have to reroll the Crew Die first. (This also means that, if we rolled something else, but that station was also full, it'd go back to Quarters.)

Rerolling the Command Die gives, unfortunately, the same result. (At least it isn't a Threat Die.)

Our new Event Card is, of course...

We take four damage, three of which wipe out the shields and one of which damages the hull. As a reminder, we don't die at zero Hull, but we do start sending Crew Dice to sickbay - and with a third Klingon Battlecruiser on the way, we're in serious trouble!

Well, no Security Dice, but we do have plenty of other useful Crew Dice. And we can complete the final Mission Stage by discarding Rousing Speech. What's the plan?

__________________           __
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____
              ||    \----.________.----/
              ||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___ #       \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 0/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 3/3
  • Science: 2/3
Shields: 0/5

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs three Security to clear. Current progress: 1/3 Security.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We have plenty of dilithium, so I think we ought to stick around and fight off these three Klingons before we complete the mission. It's what Kirk would do!

Spend 1 Science to Raise Shields.
Spend 2 Command to convert 2 Medical to 2 Security and blow up that first battlecruiser.
Spend 2 Engineering to Repair Hull.
Bank 1 Science for re-raising the shields next turn.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We seem to be missing a die? I'm only seeing 9 dice up there and only 9 people in stations - am I missing something?
EDIT: Answered below - I made a mistake and didn't count the allocated personnel.

We need to deal with these Klingons before things get too rough, and we have the time to deal with them before we need to move on.
1. Use one Science die to Raise Shields
2. Use a command die to convert a Medical die to Security.
3. Convert the two engineering dice to Security
4. Apply the two security dice to the partially completed Klingon Battlecruiser event.
5. Use a command die to convert the other medical die to security.
6. Apply that security die to the new battlecruiser.
7. This should leave us with a leftover science die. Bank it for next turn to reraise shields.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 12, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

We seem to be missing a die? I'm only seeing 9 dice up there and only 9 people in stations - am I missing something?

We have a Security Die locked into one of the Klingon Battlecruisers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

We need to deal with these Klingons before things get too rough, and we have the time to deal with them before we need to move on.
1. Use one Science die to Raise Shields
2. Use a command die to convert a Medical die to Security.
3. Convert the two engineering dice to Security
4. Apply the two security dice to the partially completed Klingon Battlecruiser event.
5. Use a command die to convert the other medical die to security.
6. Apply that security die to the new battlecruiser.
7. This should leave us with a leftover science die. Bank it for next turn to reraise shields.

Okay! Next turn rolls around, and, you guessed it...

We take another four damage, but the shields can handle it. Just.

Unfortunately, the dice are somewhat less helpful this turn. (At least Uhura gets rid of that Threat Die.) So what now?

__________________           __         \
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____ \
              ||    \----.________.----/  |
              ||     / /    `--'          |
            __||____/ /_                  |
           |___ #       \                /
               `--------'               /

MISSION STATUS

• Science: 3/3
Shields: 1/5
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 5/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Klingon Battlecruiser (Shipboard event. As a Mission Event, take two damage. Costs three Security to clear. Current progress: 1/3 Security.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Security and Engineering dice to finish off the damaged battlecruiser, 1 Science die to raise shields, Order Medical die into Security and put it on the last Battlecruiser, Lock one Science die, Finish Mission