Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before!

In 2015, Tau Leader Games released a solitaire print-and-play dice game called Deep Space D-6. In it, you play as the captain of a starship that has been ambused by enemy forces and must hold out until help arrives. Play involves rolling dice, then assigning those dice to perform various actions to eliminate threats and keep your ship and crew intact.

In 2016, on the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek series, Carl White produced Star Trek: The Dice Game. It uses an expanded version of the Deep Space D-6 rules, changing the game from surviving a single brutal attack to managing your resources to complete a five-year mission. While any one event is less hazardous, the trick is getting all the way through without getting the ship blown up or having some alien entity suck up all of your crew.

The game is available for free from the creator's website, but I recommend going to Board Game Geek to get updated versions of the cards and rules, as well as the Away Team expansion, which adds more of everything, including new rules for sending away teams on missions.

How the game works
The super-brief version of the rules is as follows: each turn, you roll ten dice, then assign them to various stations on the ship. You then spend those dice to complete steps on the Mission Card (you draw a new one for each year of the five-year mission, and, yes, it is a bit confusing that you complete five missions in your five-year-mission), collect Development Cards (which give you various bonuses when collected), defeat Event Cards (which impose penalties until removed), or perform miscellaneous tasks like repairing the hull.

Several things can reduce your dice pool. You can choose to lock dice onto Event or Development Cards until you get enough of the right dice to complete the Event Card or collect the Development Card. Sometimes an Event Card will lock up some of your dice as crewmen are sent to sickbay or possessed by an alien entity.

Last, but certainly not least, any ones you roll are considered threats and are kept until you accumulate four of them. Every time you do, you draw another Event Card... and that's bad.

How this LP will work
To discourage bandwagoning, decisions will not be made by voting. Instead, they will be made by raffle. I'll give everyone some time to call out what they want to do, then randomly select someone and use their choice.

The first choice you need to make is game difficulty. Difficulty has two effects. The first is what our starting dilithium reserve will be. Dilithium is a timer for each year of our five-year mission; if it runs out before we've completed the mission card for that year, we fail the mission, and if we fail two missions in a row, we lose the game.

The second effect is what Year Card we use. The Year Card determines what additional hazards we face as wear and tear eats at the Enterprise. To simplify matters, I've boiled the Year Cards down into a list; you move one step down the list for each year that passes:
  • No effect. Easy difficulty starts here, with a dilithium reserve of 10.
  • No effect. Normal difficulty starts here, with a dilithium reserve of 9.
  • No effect. Hard difficulty starts here, with a dilithium reserve of 8.
  • Repairing the hull costs more. Kobayashi Maru difficulty starts here, with a dilithium reserve of 7.
  • In addition, raising and lowering shields costs more.
  • In addition, healing costs more.
  • In addition, reducing threat costs more.
  • In addition, all damage is increased by one point.
So, what'll it be? Easy, Normal, Hard, or Kobayashi Maru?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

sudonim posted:

if we choose Kobayashi Maru, can we cheat?

That depends. Can you reprogram the computer? Please do not actually hack my computer or the Something Awful forums kthx.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Just giving this a little bump, since the forum's so active I suspect folks interested in this thread missed seeing it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I've changed my mind about putting the difficulty level to a vote raffle, because boy howdy, getting this post ready let me know that 'less brutal' than Deep Space D-6 does not mean 'not brutal'. We'll start on Easy and see if we can earn a higher difficulty.

So let's get this party started. I didn't mention it earlier, but we will be playing with the Away Team expansion, so we'll have new and exciting ways to die.

First, let's take a quick look at the board.

(Not pictured: the Away Team sideboard. I'll show it when it becomes relevant.)

To set up, we put markers on Hull space 7 (fresh from the starbase) and on Shields space 0 (we start with shields down, but we'll be able to raise them later). We put a Year Card on the appropriate space; this reminds us of the effects of the current year of our mission, based on the difficulty we chose. (Speaking of, we put a marker on Year 1.) Since we're starting off easy, we put a marker on Dilithium Reserves space 10. Then we put ten old-fashioned six-siders, referred to as Crew Dice, in the Quarters space.

After shuffling the three decks, we draw and display, in order, three Development Cards. These cards are Reassigned, Diagnostic Scanner, and Security Station. I'll explain what those are in a bit.

Last, but not least, we draw the first of (hopefully) five Mission Cards. Now things get interesting.

Year One: The Frozen Sky

Captain's Log, Stardate 1524.3. The Enterprise is responding to a distress call from the planet Antaeus 3. The planet's rotation is slowing for an as-yet unknown reason. If we can't put a stop to it, the planet will become tidally locked, the sun searing one side while the other side freezes.

Each Mission Card has a Mission Event. This is something that happens every turn to make our lives more difficult. In this case, before we even get to roll a Crew Die, we have to send one of them to Sickbay. We'll cover how to get them out again later.

(Insert a scene here from the 'episode' of Dr. McCoy treating someone from Engineering for what looks like a minor injury while he and Captain Kirk discuss possible medical responses to the situation on the planet.)

We start at the first Mission Stage. In order to complete the Mission Card, we need to progress through every Mission Stage in order; we can only complete one Stage a turn, so Sickbay is going to get crowded! To complete this Mission Stage, we need to use two Engineering Dice in a single turn.

So how do we get those dice? Well, in Roll Call (:downsrim:), we roll all of the Crew Dice in Quarters. Of those nine dice, we get:
  • Two ones. These are Threat Dice. Threat Dice go in the Scanners boxes. When those boxes fill up, they return to Quarters, but we have to draw an Event Card. (That's bad.)
  • One two. This is a Security Die. Security Dice go in the Security boxes. If there aren't enough empty boxes for the Security Dice rolled (or for the other types of Crew Dice below), they return to Quarters. That isn't a problem here, obviously.
  • One three. This is an Engineering Die. We wanted two. We have one. This is an issue.
  • One four. This is a Medical Die. This could come in handy.
  • Three fives. These are Science Dice.
  • One six. This is a Command Die. Unlike the other types of dice, there are only two boxes for Command Dice.
Having rolled the dice, we then Report for Duty, which is when we actually put the dice on their appropriate spaces. Then it's time to Deploy. We can take the following actions:
  • A Security Die may be used to return a Threat Die to Quarters (Clear Sensors). (Dice that have been spent also return to Quarters.) We can also use two Security Dice as if they were one Engineering Die.
  • An Engineering Die may be used to repair one point of hull damage (Repair). We can also use two Engineering Dice as if they were one Security Die.
  • A Medical Die may be used to return one Crew Die from Sickbay to Quarters (Heal). We can also use two Medical Dice as if they were one Science Die.
  • A Science Die may be used to move Shields to 5 or 0 (Raise or Lower Shields). We can also use two Science Dice as if they were one Medical Die.
  • A Command Die may be used to change one other Crew Die to a result of your choice (Orders). (The rules don't say if you can change any Crew Die, but based on my reading, I'm going to say this only applies to active Crew Dice, i.e., ones that are at stations other than Scanners.)
  • Event Cards, Development Cards, and Mission Cards can all have associated costs, which are paid in the appropriate number and type of Crew Dice. We pay to remove Event Cards, claim Development Cards (about which, more shortly), and advance Mission Cards.
  • Finally, if we really need a specific Crew Die, we can use any three Crew Dice as if they were a specific Crew Die. (Note that, when we're using multiple Crew Dice as if they were a single Crew Die, that doesn't mean 'send all but one back to Quarters and turn that one to the desired result'! Those Dice are stuck together until they get sent back to Quarters as a unit.)
We can take any or all of these actions in any order we want, and we can take any action as many times as we can pay for it. Any Crew Dice we don't use this turn can be locked in if we think we'll need their value next turn, but otherwise they return to Quarters. (This does not include Threat Dice, for obvious reasons.)

So, what should we do this turn? Well, the following options seem at least somewhat relevant:
  • Spend a Security Die to return a Threat Die to Quarters.
  • Spend a Medical Die to return a Crew Die from Sickbay to Quarters.
  • Spend a Science Die to raise shields.
  • Spend a Command Die to change an unneeded Crew Die to an Engineering Die.
  • Treat three Crew Dice as if they were an Engineering Die.
  • Advance the Mission Card by spending two Engineering Dice. We don't currently have two Engineering Dice, but see above.
  • Put Crew Dice on a Development Card. Development Cards are buffs we can pay for with Crew Dice; some provide a continuous bonus, while others can be used up in an emergency. Unlike Mission Cards, we can pay for Development and Event Cards in installments, leaving the Crew Dice on the card until we either choose to remove them at the end of a turn or finish paying the cost.
    • The Reassigned Development Card is a Tactics card (the relevance of this will be explained when it's, well, relevant) that costs two Command Dice to claim. (Note that those dice return to Quarters once the cost is paid; they're not locked up forever.) It lets you reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat Die, during Roll Call.
    • The Diagnostic Scanner Development Card is a Technology card that costs three Medical Dice to claim. With it active, each Heal action moves two Crew Dice, not just one, from Sickbay to Quarters.
    • The Security Station Development Card is a Tactics card that costs three Security Dice to claim. It acts as an additional Security box, letting us keep one more Security Die roll.
    A shortened list of the available Development Cards will appear in Mission Status, below. We don't have enough Crew Dice to claim any of these outright, but we could make a deposit.
So, what'll it be? I know what I'd do if I were playing, but would it be the best choice? Well, we'll just have to see.

__________________           __
\_________________|)____.---'--`---.____
              ||    \----.________.----/
              ||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year one of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

Crew assignments:
  • Command: 1/2
  • Science: 3/3
  • Medical: 1/3
  • Engineering: 1/3
  • Security: 1/3
  • Away Team: 0/10
  • Quarters: 0/10
  • Sickbay: 1/10
Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
Shields: 0/5
Hull: 7/7
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 10/10

Active Mission Card: Avert Environmental Catastrophe (Away Team expansion).
Mission Event: Move one Crew Die to Sickbay.
  1. Travel: pay two Engineering Dice.
  2. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  3. Scan: Pay two Science Dice.
  4. Repair: Pay one Engineering Die and one Science Die.
  5. Cure: Pay two Medical Dice.
  6. Development: Draw two Development Cards. (Discard the two available Development Cards at the top of the list, then draw two Development Cards and put them at the bottom of the list.)
Active Event Cards: none.

Active Development Cards: none.

Available Development Cards:
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Costs 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Costs 3 Security to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 16, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

(Any good as orders?)

That sounds like a pretty good plan, and MaskedHuzzah agrees with you, so let's do it. We spend our Command Die to turn a Science Die into an Engineering Die, then spend two Engineering Dice to complete this Mission Stage. Using two Science Dice as a Medical Die to Heal our injured Crew Die leaves our actual Medical Die free to go on the Diagnostic Scanner Development Card. (We could have done it the other way around, but this is more efficient.) Our Security Die clears one Threat Die, and we're out of Crew Dice to spend.

As the next turn starts, our Dilithium Reserves drop by one. Dilithium Reserves are refreshed at the start of each new year. If they run out before a Mission Card is completed, that Mission Card ends in failure; fail two in a row, and the show is cancelled the game is over. So we have nine turns to finish the remaining five Mission Stages. Keep that in mind.

The Mission Event then activates again, sending some poor schlub back to Sickbay, and we roll the Crew Dice.

That's one of each kind of Crew Die, plus a second Engineering Die. That gives us the following options:
  • Complete the current mission stage using one Engineering Die, then:
    • Complete the Diagnostic Scanner (using the Command Die to get the second Medical Die) and remove one Threat Die.
    • Remove both Threat Dice (using the Command Die to get the second Security Die) and either heal one Crew Die or partially complete the Diagnostic Scanner.
    • Remove one Threat Die, heal one Crew Die, and partially complete the Diagnostic Scanner (using the Command Die to get a Medical Die).

With any of these options, we'd have either an Engineering Die or a Science Die left over, which we could save for next turn.

OR

• Remove both Threat Dice (treating two Engineering Dice as a Security Die), then complete the Diagnostic Scanner (using the Command Die to get a Medical Die). This would use up all of our Crew Dice. This would not complete the current Mission Stage.

OR

• Do something else I haven't thought of. (I wouldn't suggest partially completing either of the other Development Cards, but you do you.)
So. What are our priorities?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year one of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

Crew assignments:
  1. Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
  2. Security: 1/3
  3. Engineering: 2/3
  4. Medical: 1/3
  5. Science: 1/3
  6. Command: 1/2
  • Diagnostic Scanner: 1/3 Medical Dice
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 9/10

6. Development: Draw two Development Cards. (Discard the two available Development Cards at the top of the list, then draw two Development Cards and put them at the bottom of the list.)

Active Development Cards: none.

• Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Costs 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Costs 3 Security to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 16, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Do we get a bonus for finishing the event with spare dilithium, or is it an advantage to hold off on the final step so we can activate our development cards?

You don't get a bonus for finishing the mission early, but you don't want to stick around; every turn means you're getting hit by the Mission Event and potentially rolling Threat Dice. That said, there is one reason to linger. The last stage in this mission completes itself, but it does so by forcing you to discard the oldest two available Development Cards (in our case, the ones at the top of the list) and draw two new ones (which will go at the bottom). So if we want Reassigned and/or Diagnostic Scanner, we need to get them before the mission ends.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Oh, also! One thing to consider is that, with the Away Team expansion in play, we may want to have a spare Crew Die and not save it. After all, we need warm bodies to actually send down to the planet...

e: actually, lemme cover that right now. With the Away Team expansion, after a Mission Card's Transport phase is completed, and after the Cleanup phase (used Crew Dice go back to quarters, completed Development Cards are collected, et cetera), you pick at least two Crew Dice and put them on the Away Team side board. This is like the Enterprise board, except it has two Stations for each of Science, Engineering, Medical, Security, and Command, and none for Threat. They go into the Away Team pool.

The following rules apply when an away team is, well, away:
  • Away team Crew Dice are rolled and assigned before shipboard Crew Dice are. Like shipboard Crew Dice, they can be left locked into an Away Team station if unused; otherwise, they return to the Away Team pool.
  • Rolling 1 on an away team Crew Die is not a Threat Die but a Wild Die, and can be used for any result.
  • As far as I can tell, there's no rule against away team Crew Dice performing actions like Heal or Repair Hull.
  • Mission Stages may only be completed with away team Crew Dice.
  • Event Cards with the Starship icon only affect, and can only be completed by, shipboard Crew Dice.
  • Event Cards without the Starship icon, as well as Development Cards, can be completed by either or both sets of Crew Dice. However, away team Crew Dice may not be locked onto these cards, so the Event Card or Development Card must be completed that turn. The away team Crew Dice return to the Away Team pool during cleanup.
  • Away team Crew Dice sent to Sickbay become shipboard Crew Dice.
  • You can recomplete a Transport phase (instead of completing the current phase of the Mission Card) to add more dice to the Away Team pool. (Gotta replace those redshirts somehow!)
  • The away mission ends, and all away team Crew Dice return to Quarters, if a second Transport phase is completed (some Mission Cards have two) or when a Mission Card is completed or discarded.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 16, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Continuing on the same basic plan as last time,
Send the Security and Science dies down in the away team (since that's a two person minimum if I'm reading correctly).

Assigning crew to an away team happens after Cleanup, so we'll have every Crew Die that gets used available.

quote:

EDIT: What does adding an additional security station net us? The ability to hold another die between turns?

That, and the ability to assign another Security Die after Roll Call. Remember, if you roll four Security Dice, but you only have three Security Stations available, one of the Crew Dice goes back to Quarters.

habituallyred posted:

So saving the science die we expect to have left over could not go toward mission completion? Ouch. How the hell do you beat the game on Hard then?

:shrug:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

This seems to suggest that the best strategy would be to put all our dice on the Away Team since they then can't generate Threat. Which of our Development Cards are Starship only?

Development Cards don't have that feature, only Event Cards. Also, many missions have 'Draw an Event Card' as the Mission Event, which would make having everyone on the planet surface unwise. This one doesn't, but Crew Dice will still get sent to Sickbay. It's up to you.

quote:

Also: in what order do dice take effect? Our Away Team Security Pool is a maximum of two - are we able to spend those two on a card, then use a Command Die to change another die to a Security Die and spend that on the same card?

Whenever you have to do more than one thing - resolve multiple Event cards, spend Crew Dice on multiple actions, what have you - you get to choose the order. That said, the Stations only limit the Crew Dice you can keep after Roll Call and before Cleanup; you could use the Command Die first, then the Security Dice. You just can't keep more than two rolled Security Dice or lock more than two into their Stations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It looks like everyone's in agreement at least to Cleanup, so no point in raffling. We spend an Engineering Die to complete the current Mission Stage, then spend our Command Die to turn the other Engineering Die into a Medical Die. Then we spend both Medical Dice to complete the Diagnostic Scanner Development Card and the Security Die to clear a Threat Die.

Cleanup rolls around; the Crew Dice on the Diagnostic Scanner return to Quarters, as do all the Crew Dice we've used, and we collect the Diagnostic Scanner. This also means we draw a new Development Card.
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Medical to claim.)
Even if you can only use it once, that's a pretty good card. You get to store the effect of those Medical Dice for when you need them, and you get the Crew Dice back to do whatever. We have some time before it gets rotated out, too. (Note that, even if we had any Medical Dice right now, we couldn't use them; we have to wait until next turn to work on any new cards.)

So, we now have seven Crew Dice in Quarters - eight if we send the Science Die back too - and we need to put at least two on Away Team duty. How many should we send? And should we keep the Science Die? inflatablefish wants to save the Science Die and send seven Crew Dice on the away mission; MaskedHuzzah also wants to save the Science Die, but only wants to send three Crew Dice. habituallyred hasn't weighed in on this issue, and of course anyone can make or change plans and hope to get their choice raffled.

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

Crew assignments:
  • Threat Level (Scanners): 1/4
  • Security: 0/3
  • Engineering: 0/3
  • Medical: 0/3
  • Science: 1/3
  • Command: 0/2
  • Quarters: 7/10

Active Development Cards:
  • Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Medical to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I didn't read it as "only away team dice can be used for the event", so if that's true I'd keep 2 people on the ship + 1 in sickbay and 7 people on the planet.

While the Away Team is active, shipboard Crew Dice can't be used to complete Mission Phases, so inflatablefish is right. However, we have one Threat Die in addition to the Crew Die in Sickbay, so you only have eight Crew Dice you can allocate. Do you want to send six down, keep one on, or...?

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 17, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Well, it looks like we once again have a consensus. We assign six Crew Dice to the away team and leave the rest on the ship.

Next turn rolls around; the Dilithium Reserves tick down again, and another Crew Die heads to Sickbay. (I assume you want to send a shipboard one there.) We then roll the away team Crew Dice...

...and the shipboard Crew, er, Die.

Well, that's unfortunate. Still, looks like we have the Crew Dice to clear things up. We could spend both Science Crew Dice to advance the Mission Card, spend a Medical Crew Die to Heal both Crew Dice in Sickbay, spend a Command Die to turn the Engineering Die into a Security Die, and spend both Security Dice to remove both Threat Dice. Is there any reason not to do all of the above?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

Shipboard crew assignments:
  • Threat Level (Scanners): 2/4
  • Science: 0/3
  • Sickbay: 2/10
Away Team crew assignments:
  • Wild: 0/10
  • Security: 1/2
  • Engineering: 1/2
  • Medical: 1/2
  • Science: 2/2
  • Away Team pool: 0/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 8/10

• Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

EDIT EDIT: Can the Reassigned card only be used for shipboard crew, or also for the Away Team? If it's shipboard only then it'll always carry a risk of rolling Threat.

All Development Cards work equally well on shipboard and away team Crew Dice.

We carry out the plan outlined in the previous post. The Threat Dice and the Crew Dice in Sickbay all return to Quarters, while the Crew Dice on the away team return to the Away Team pool. We advance the Mission Card, and then it's time for the next turn. The Dilithium Reserves are depleted, a shipboard Crew Die goes to Sickbay, and away team Crew Dice are rolled -

- and, unfortunately, we roll one more Medical Die than we can keep. The extra one returns to the Away Team pool. Then we roll the shipboard Crew Dice -

- and get no whammies.

So. We have a Wild Die on the away team. The rules specifically state that we can use it on any Away Team Station, non-shipboard Event, or Development Card, which means we could put it on, say, the Medical Tricorder, but not use it to Heal (because we'd have to assign it to a Medical Station first, and those are full). Not that this is a problem; just making the rules clear.

To complete the current Mission Phase, we need an Engineering Die and a Science Die, both of which must come from the away team Crew Dice. Equally unfortunately, we have neither - but we do have that Wild Die, and we can use the shipboard Command Die to turn one of the away team Crew Dice into the other. (AFAIK, this is just as legal as away team Crew Dice Healing shipboard Crew Dice.)

If, for some reason, we choose not to advance the Mission Card, we can instead spend an Engineering Crew Die (see above) to repeat the Transport phase and send more Crew Dice down to the planet surface.

Whether or not we advance the mission, we have three Development Cards we could claim. Getting the Medical Tricorder (and Healing the Crew Die in Sickbay) would be simple, but either of the other two would demand enough resources to keep us from advancing the Mission Card.

I, personally, would go for using two away team Medical Dice to claim the Medical Tricorder, using the shipboard Medical Die to Heal the Crew Die in Sickbay, using the shipboard Command Die to turn one Away Team Security Die into an Engineering Die, using the away team Wild Die as a Science Die, and using the away team Engineering Die and the away team Science Die to advance the Mission Card. Alternately, we could do as above, but lock in the shipboard Medical Die instead of using it this turn. Do you prefer either of those, or do you have your own suggestion?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Threat Level (Scanners): 0/4
  • Wild: 1/10
  • Security: 2/2
  • Engineering: 0/2
  • Medical: 2/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Away Team pool: 1/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 7/10

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Does this mean that the Security Station could be used to let us have 3 Security Dice on an Away Mission? That's pretty valuable.

That wasn't my intent, but I double-checked the rules just to be sure. Your original question was about the Reassigned card, which says, "Reroll one Crew Die during Roll Call, other than Threat results." Security Station, by contrast, says, "This card acts as an additional Crew Station." There isn't much in the way of clarification on either. (Both are base game cards, so they don't take Away Team rules into account.) My personal ruling on these cards would be:
  • The Away Team rules say that you roll and assign the away team Crew Dice before you roll and assign the shipboard Crew Dice, but that both of these things happen during Roll Call. Therefore, you roll your away team Crew Dice, then choose whether or not to use Reassigned, then assign your away team Crew Dice, then roll your shipboard Crew Dice. If you didn't use Reassigned on your away team Crew Dice, you may now use it on your shipboard Crew Dice; you may not use it on both (because you're still in the same Roll Call event), and you may not use it on your away team Crew Dice after rolling your shipboard Crew Dice (because those Crew Dice have already been assigned).
  • Security Station, and other 'additional Crew Station' cards, provides an additional shipboard Crew Station. I could maybe be argued into letting it be used, instead, as an away team Crew Station, but that would have to be chosen when the Development Card was claimed - no fair swapping it back and forth.

quote:

I'd go with this - I don't see much point locking in that Medical Die, we may as well get it used so it goes back to our pool.

The point would be to use it next turn to get two Crew Dice out of Sickbay guaranteed.

quote:

And I still think that we ought to drag our heels and use up some of our spare turns before we complete Task 5 - once we have the Medical Tricorder there's no risk of failing that task so we can take it close to the wire.

That is, of course, an option.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I'm going in a somewhat different direction with my suggested orders:

1. Use the Engineer Die and convert two Medical dice to Science to clear the Repair objective.
2. Use the two Security dice and the Wild die to take the Security Station Card.
3. Fix the person in Sickbay with our remaining Medical die.
4. Use the Command die to start on the Reassigned development card.

Slight problem with that: the Engineer Die is shipboard, and you can't use shipboard Crew Dice to complete Mission Objectives while an away team is deployed. What you can do if you want the Security Station Card is treat two away team Medical Dice as a Science Die, use the away team Wild Die as an Engineering Die, complete the Mission Stage with the away team Engineering and Science Dice, use the shipboard Command Die to turn the shipboard Engineering Die into a Security Die, use the shipboard Security Die and the away team Security Dice to complete the Security Station Development Card, and use the shipboard Medical Die to Heal the Crew Die in Sickbay. That completes all of your objectives but starting on the Reassigned Development Card. Would that be acceptable?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

How do you treat two away team Medical Dice as a Science Die? I thought it took three dice to do that?

You can turn Medical Dice into Science Dice or vice versa at a 2:1 ratio. You can do the same with Engineering Dice and Security Dice.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

We go ahead with the modified version of MaskedHuzzah's plan, which means, among other things, drawing a new Development card during cleanup.
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Costs 1 Science to claim.)
We tick down our Dilithium Reserves and send a Crew Die to Sickbay. Then it's time to roll Crew Dice. Away team dice are first...

...then shipboard dice.

Now that's a nice set of Crew Dice! The only kind of Crew Die we didn't roll was Engineering, and we don't need any of that.

We're in the home stretch on this Mission Card, and we have several other options to boot. What do we want to accomplish?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 1/3 (+1)
  • Wild: 2/10
  • Science: 1/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 6/10

• Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Costs 1 Science to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Five people posted, so I roll a D5 and hit Technowolf. Which is a... slight issue, because he agreed with Rorahusky's original plan, but then Rorahusky changed his mind to follow nweismuller's plan. Which is superior to Rorahusky's original plan in every way but one: instead of saving a shipboard Medical Die, he used it to Heal right now. Technowolf, would you rather save the die or use it? I'll give you some time to decide, but if I don't hear from you, I'll flip a coin or something.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Okay! We're almost done with this Mission Card. Development Cards are claimed and Crew Dice flung about. When we're done, we draw two new Development Cards.
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 1 Engineering to claim.)
Then we deplete the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, send a Crew Die to Sickbay, and roll the away team Crew Dice...

...and the shipboard Crew Dice.

Ew. (Remember, you can't use Reassigned to reroll Threat Dice. However, for the convenience of web play, I'm going to say that you can use Reassigned on either an away team or shipboard Crew Die if you want to.) Still, nothing that can't be fixed. And it turns out you have more time to fix it, at least potentially, than I thought. I've carefully reread the rules, and if I understand correctly, you don't have to complete the last Mission Stage this turn. You can choose to run out the clock for a few turns, if you think the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks.

It might be a good idea to do so. Future Mission Cards will not be so lenient. Almost every other Mission Card has 'Draw Event' as the Mission Action, and some of them have that and something else.

Whether you decide to complete the Mission Stage now or later, there's a bit of a timing issue. Completing a Mission Stage and advancing a Development Card both happen during the Deployment Phase, and I've previously said that actions in that phase can be taken in any order. However, you do not actually claim Development Cards you've advanced until the Cleanup Phase; in addition, the rules for completing the Draw Mission Stage say that you must replace the oldest existing (available) Development Cards with the Development Cards you draw.

Therefore! On the turn in which you complete the Mission Stage, you may not advance the oldest two Development Cards. (Those are the ones at the top of the list.) You may, however, complete the Mission Stage, then advance any combination of the two new Development Cards and the remaining Development Card (on this turn, Dilithium Deposits (1)). So if you choose to wrap up the mission this turn, I'll go ahead and complete the Mission Stage first, then show you the new Development Cards and let you decide what to do with the rest of the turn.

So what'll it be?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 0/3 (+1)
  • Engineering: 2/2
  • Medical: 0/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 5/10

• Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Cost 1 Science to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 1 Engineering to claim.)

Oh, and one more thing. I added the costs of active Development Cards back in for a reason. There's one rule from the Away Team expansion that hasn't applied until now. As part of the Cleanup Phase, you can discard any two active Development Cards of the same type - Technology, Tactics, or Personnel, which we haven't seen - to claim an available Development Card of the same type and with a Crew Dice cost less than or equal to the combined Crew Dice cost of the discarded cards. Because this happens during the Cleanup Phase, you can then draw a replacement Development Card and do this again if you want to. I don't expect this exact situation to occur, but hey.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking of rules I didn't expect to come up, we can only have nine active Development Cards at once (though we can discard one if we see one we like better). Of course, we also can only have nine active Event Cards at once. Hopefully we won't see that.

Anyway. We grab all the available Development Cards, then draw three new ones during Cleanup. The usual beginning-of-turn bookkeeping happens, and we roll away team and shipboard Crew Dice.

And the Development Cards we drew? Well, that's where it gets interesting.
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.)
Personnel Transfer is the first card we've drawn from the Away Team expansion, and thus the first one to directly reference the Away Team expansion's rules. (Development Card and Event Card types were added in the expansion, but it says which base cards are of which types.) It also introduces the term 'Offer' to refer to the available Development Cards; the base rules call them simply Development Cards (as opposed to Active Developments). On the one hand, it's nice to have an unambiguous term, but on the other, the term chosen here doesn't feel like it fits in this game. I dunno.

Mr. Spock, meanwhile, is our first Personnel card. Even the cheapest Personnel card has some pretty good effects, and this card is not cheap. The bonus Science this provides can be used like a Science Die, but it's not a Crew Die, so it isn't affected by things that affect Crew Dice - it can't be rerolled, locked in, sent to Sickbay, limited by Crew stations, or what have you.

There is a catch, besides the obvious steep cost. Due to the previously mentioned timing issues, if we complete either of the other available Development Cards and complete the current Mission Phase, we will be forced to discard it. Which means it would be a good idea to decide now whether we want it or not.

So. What'll it be?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Sickbay: 2/10
  • Wild: 2/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 4/10

• Diagnostic Scanner (Technology card. The Heal action moves two Crew Dice from Sickbay to Quarters. Cost 3 Medical to claim.)
  • Security Station (Tactics card. This card acts as an additional Security Crew Station. Cost 3 Security to claim.)
  • Reassigned (Tactics card. Reroll one Crew Die, other than a Threat result, during Roll Call. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Sensor Probe (Technology card. Draw the top five Event Cards and replace them in any order, then discard. Cost 1 Science to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Medical to claim.)
Available Development Cards (the Offer):
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I say stall, use the Command die and one Wild die to claim the communicator card, put the Science and one Wild die on Mr. Spock, and use the Medical Die to heal the two personnel is Sick Bay. I have no clue what to use the Engineering and Security dice for, so I say bank them if we're able.

That isn't going to work because you can't leave away team Crew Dice on Development Cards. If you want the Mr. Spock Development Card, I see two basic ways to get it.

The safer way is to not claim any other Development Cards. You can run down the clock and try to get the right Crew Dice rolled; the odds aren't great, because you can save at most two away team Science Dice and no Wild Dice from one turn to the next, so you'll need at least some shipboard Science Dice. You can, at least, use Command Dice to turn shipboard Crew Dice into Science Dice, and shipboard Crew Dice can be left on Development Cards. You might also consider letting some away team Crew Dice get injured to send them back to the ship. Of course, this means an increased risk of Threat Dice. At any rate, even if you fail to claim the Development Card in the next three turns, including this one, on the fourth turn you can complete the last Mission Stage, discarding Communicator and Personnel Transfer, and keep working on Mr. Spock.

If you claim any other Development Cards, you're on the clock. Remember that you can't claim Mr. Spock on the fourth turn, because completing the current Mission Stage happens before claiming completed Development Cards. (I assume deliberately failing the Mission Card isn't even on the table.) That said, while this risks not getting Mr. Spock, it does mean you get to pull other Development Cards while you're still not being forced to draw an Event Card every turn. And five Science Dice is a lot.

The choice is yours.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Spock seems like he would be more useful than anything else we could get for quite a while, so I'd make him a priority. We can't bank Away Team members for development die, but can we use them if they occur on that turn for the 5 total?

That's correct.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

1. Use the command die on the ground to convert the medical die on the ship to Science, and apply that to Spock.
2. Use the security die on the ground to clear the threat. Keep the formerly threat die on board.
3. Use a wild die to heal both members in sickbay, keep them on board.
4. I don't see a lot of use for Personnel Transfer yet, but we can always exchange it for something we want more later, so if we can I'd like to pick it up with the remaining wild die.
5. This leaves us with an engineering die and a science die on the ground I can't see a use for, sadly.

A few notes on this plan: Crew Dice don't go on an away team unless you use a Transport Mission Stage to send them, so you didn't have to specify 'keep them on board'. And yes, you can use a Wild Die to collect Personnel Transfer. Wild Dice, like all away team Crew Dice, can be used on Developments as long as those Developments are completed that turn.

We draw a new Development Card...
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Costs 3 Engineering to claim.)
...and send a redshirt from the away team to Sickbay. We now have two turns remaining to claim Mr. Spock. Let's see how the dice fare.

Not good. We can only keep two of the Security Dice, and we get one measly Science Die and a Threat Die. It may be time to cut our losses; we can unlock the Crew Die on Mr. Spock to be able to use it next turn on something else. Still, if you want to hope for a better roll next turn, that's an option...

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 2/2
  • Science: 0/2
  • Away Team pool: 2/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 3/10

• Dilithium Deposits (1) (Technology card. Add one Dilithium Crystal to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Cost 1 Engineering to claim.)
  • Engineering Kit (Technology card. Add two bonus Engineering Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Engineering to claim.)
  • Medical Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Medical Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Medical to claim.)
  • Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.) Progress: 1/5.
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Costs 3 Engineering to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I stand by the Spock priority, drat the risks!
1. Use the Security die to clear the threat.
2. Use the medical die to handle the person in Sickbay.
3. Attach the Science die to Spock
4. Efficient die usage is pretty important. While we haven't seen hull damage yet, the ability to fix it quickly seems like it would be more useful than our Engineering Kit and Sensor Probe, so let's exchange these two technology cards for one of equal or lesser value.

The dice picked your plan, so let's go with it. Claiming Electrified Hull Plating means we draw another Development Card during cleanup:
We already have one of those, but maybe we want another. Now for the moment of truth. We deplete dilithium, send an away team Crew Die to Sickbay, and, drum roll, please...

Congratulations! We have more than enough Science Dice to claim Mr. Spock. What else do we want to do this turn? (As a reminder, we can't complete the Mission Stage this turn because of timing issues.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Science: 2/3
  • Science: 2/2
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 2/10

• Personnel Transfer (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. While this card is in play, you may swap an active Personnel Development Card for one of equal or lesser value in the Offer. Cost 1 Command to claim.)
  • Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Costs 5 Science to claim.) Progress: 2/5.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Damanation posted:

I thought we could only have 7 development cards?

The limit is 9.

Rorahusky posted:

For Dilithuim Deposits, do we have to use it immediately, or can we save it till after we start a new mission?

You can save it as long as you need to. If you hadn't rolled the Science Dice you needed, you could have spent the one you have to buy an extra turn.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

4. No need to rest here, time to move on. Complete the Development card and progress to the next mission.

Well, there is a need to rest here. As I said earlier, to complete the Mission Stage (which is what I assume you meant), you have to discard the two oldest Development Cards and draw two new ones. While you can complete the Mr. Spock card this turn, you can't actually claim it until the end of the turn, by which point completing the Mission Stage would have made it go away.

That said, the rest of the plan goes smoothly, and two new Development Cards are drawn.
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Away Team expansion. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
I'm not entirely sure what that last card means by 'taking the Transport action'. It can definitely be used to beam down more people to an away team instead of repeating a Transport Mission Stage. But can it be used to complete a Transport Mission Stage? Can it be used to deploy an away team on its own? Can it be used to recall an away team? I'm going to read it as restrictively as possible, given how cheap it is, but I could be talked around.

Dilithium ticks down, we send a Crew Die to Sickbay (I choose a shipboard Crew Die because we don't need to send away team Crew Dice back now), and we roll the bones.

There's no point putting off completing the Mission Stage, so we do that, discarding Communicator and the Tricorder we just drew. For replacements, we get:
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Costs 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Costs 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
It's interesting that Boosted Sensors costs three Science, not three Security, to claim; all the other 'this action is twice as effective' cards cost three of whatever you'd spend to take that action. As for Vulcan Nerve Pinch, that'd be a very good card for us right now, and if we wanted, we could use Mr. Spock's bonus Science to get it for just one Security, which would be thematically appropriate. However, we're now at our cap of Development Cards, so maybe it could sit in the Offer for a bit if we don't want to discard or use anything. I leave the decision of what we do on this final turn before things most likely get truly pear-shaped up to you!

(Oh, and since I noticed it while prepping this update: don't forget about the Reassigned Development Card! I'm not going to remind you if it might be useful at some point.)

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Security: 2/3 (+1)
  • Science: 0 (+1)/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 1/10

• Electrified Hull Plating (Technology card. The Repair Hull action repairs two Hull. Cost 3 Engineering to claim.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Costs 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Costs 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

But what are the odds of rolling 3 ones with 9 dice?

About 13 percent. :eng101: If you read that to mean 'at least three ones', it's about 18 percent.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Current priority: Keep working on efficiency, it'll pay off later.
1. Boosted Sensors seems quite nice, but we're at caps for tech. Exchange Medical Tricorder and Dilithium Deposits for them, and we'll have an extra slot to pick up...
2. Vulcan Nerve Pinch seems like it will be incredibly handy, especially since we already have Spock. We can use our Away Team Security and Science dies to claim it easily.
3. Use the medical die to clear the person in sickbay.
4. Use a security die to clear scanners
5. And off we go to Year 2.
The dice chose your plan, so let's go with it. The Cleanup phase sees us returning all ten Crew Dice to Quarters, discarding the completed Mission Card, and claiming those Development Cards. We draw two new Development Cards:
  • Tricorder (Technology card. Add two bonus Science Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Science to claim.)
Cards we've seen before, but potentially useful ones. We also advance the year track by one.

At the start of the next turn, we draw a new Mission Card. Drum roll, please...

Observe Planetary Phenomena posted:

Mission Event: Draw an Event Card.
Mission Stages:
  1. Scan: pay two Science.
  2. Event: draw one Event Card.
  3. Transport: shields must be down. Pay one Engineering Die.
  4. Influence: pay two Command.
  5. Development: Draw one Development Card.
Yup, that's significantly nastier. Dilithium Reserves get refreshed to 10, and then we draw an Event Card right away:
  • Coolant Leak (Shipboard event. Reroll Engineering results once. Costs 2 Science to clear.)

Not the best of news, but it could have been worse. As a reminder, Event Dice are cleared exactly the same way Development Cards are claimed, including timing issues and away team Crew Dice rules. Note that this is a shipboard event, which means that it will not force us to reroll away team Engineering Dice - but by the same token, we can't use away team Science Dice to clear it.

So let's roll!

Whoops; we got one Engineering Die. We reroll it...

Well, that's unfortunate. More unfortunate is that we can only keep two Command Dice. Still, between them, our Science Dice, and Mr. Spock, we can both clear the Event Card and advance the Mission Card. So do we do that? And do we have other priorities?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year two of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Medical: 2/3
  • Science: 2 (+1)/3
  • Command: 2/2
  • Quarters: 1/10
  • Sickbay: 0/10
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 10/10

Active Mission Card: Observe Planetary Phenomena.
Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Coolant Leak (Shipboard event. Reroll Engineering results once. Costs 2 Science to clear.)
  • Mr. Spock (Personnel card. One bonus Science each turn. Cost 5 Science to claim.)
  • Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)
  • Shuttlecraft Galileo (Technology card. Play instead of taking the Transport action, then discard. Costs 1 Command to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 25, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

(we should only have a dilithium max of 9 due to the year, right?)

Nope! The Dilithium Reserves maximum is based solely on difficulty, not mission year. When year-related stuff kicks in (provided we survive that long), I'll let you know.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Arkanumzilong posted:

Just stumbled on this thread, and this game seems really nice
Makes me wonder if there are any tabletop sim mods for it
Also, if a full blown star trek rpg exists

Can't speak to the former, but there are multiple Star Trek pen-and-paper RPGs out there. One of the stranger ones is the Prime Directive RPG line by Steve Jackson Games. Not because of the mechanics, mind - it's powered by GURPS or d20 - but because its connection to Star Trek itself ultimately stems from the Star Fleet Battles wargame license, which (a) has diverged considerably from post-TOS Star Trek canon and (b) is not allowed, by the licensing, to directly reference any specific thing or person from the original series. Which is to say, you won't find stats for Mr. Spock or the Enterprise in it, but you will find stats for Vulcans and the Constitution class.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

5. Since the Mission Event is Draw an Event Card, and Objective 2 is also Draw One Event Card, does that mean we should expect two events next turn? If so, we should keep ready and bank those two Command dice.

I'll cover this in the turn update.

quote:

6. If we have to send another die to Quarters due to overflow, can we Reassign to reroll it? If so, I think that's a plan in absence of another specific need for a die. The timing on Reassign is weird for the format we're using to play.

Yes, you can do that. Just say you want to in lieu of submitting a plan, and I'll do it if the dice pick you.

quote:

Does Shuttlecraft Galileo let us complete multiple objectives in one turn, or does it just let us pre-pay the cost?

You can only complete one Mission Stage a turn, no matter what. Shuttlecraft Galileo lets you pre-pay for a Transport Action, but it also lets you send an away team even if the shields are up (because that's part of the standard cost).

quote:

What counts as a "Challenge" for the purposes of Tricorder and Communicator? Events and objectives?

Event Cards, Development Cards, and Mission Stages, but not actions like Heal.

habituallyred posted:

2 Science dice to Scan Planet, 2 Medical dice and Mr. Spock clear up the event, Security die to clear sensors thanks to boosted sensors, 2 Command dice standby.

inflatablefish posted:

This would be my choice.

Well, the dice picked you, and by extension habituallyred, so we do it. Next turn rolls around, and we draw an Event Card:
  • Love Interest (Immediately move one active Crew Die to Quarters. If all Crew Dice are in Quarters, move one to Sickbay. Then discard this Event.)

So one of those locked-in Command Dice goes back to Quarters. Could be worse; we get to roll it again right away. Counting the locked-in Command Die we still have, we roll:

Thaaaat's unfortunate.

So, that explanation I promised earlier. In order to complete this Mission Stage, we need to draw an Event Card. However, like the Development Stage from the last Mission Card, we don't have to complete this Mission Stage this turn. If we had drawn a particularly nasty Event Card, we could have held off to save resources to clear it.

That said, the Event Card we drew turned out to be pretty mild, so we could take a chance on drawing another. And since there's no point in making plans that might get thrown out the window, I just want to know: should we complete the current Mission Stage this turn?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

It is year two of the U.S.S. Enterprise's five-year mission (on easy difficulty.)

• Threat Level (Scanners): 3/4

Mission Stages:

• Boosted Sensors (Technology card. The "Clear Sensors" action clears two Threat Dice. Cost 3 Science to claim.)
  • Vulcan Nerve Pinch (Tactics card. Away Team expansion. The Combat action costs one less Security Die. If Mr. Spock is in play, the Combat action costs no Security Dice. Cost 1 Security and 1 Science to claim.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Apropos of nothing, when I made that post about Prime Directive, I remembered another Star Trek game that had an odd licensing situation. In the 1978 book BASIC Computer Games, there's a version of Super Star Trek (a game that started life as a mainframe text game and has since been ported hither and yon) which has, as a footnote, that the name 'Star Trek' is used by permission from Paramount Pictures. A bit of Internet searching didn't find a second source for this, so I tracked down and emailed the editor of the book, David Ahl. He wrote me back:

David Ahl posted:

In the first games book, "101 Basic Computer Games" published by DEC, a somewhat simpler version of the game was called Spacewar; no permissions necessary as we weren't using the name Star Trek. However, in the early days of Creative Computing around 1977, I met Gene Roddenberry at a convention (don't recall if it was a Star Trek con or comic con). He thought the computer game was a cool thing and would help the Star Trek franchise, so he asked Paramount to give us permission to use the name, and they did. Workman Publishing, that published the mass-market version of the book, wouldn't have touched it if we didn't have official permission.

So that's a thing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

I also love passive bonuses, but given that we seem to be drawing plenty of Tricorders/Communicators etc I think it'd be good to save one space for them - e.g. if we had paid 2 Command to get the Communicator we'd be guaranteed to be able to pass Task 4 as soon as we get to it

[snip]

I'm assuming that Kirk is 1 free Command Die each round, Scotty is 1 free Engineering etc, in which case getting whoever gives us 1 free Security die each round (Sulu? Chekov?) will probably be the most valuable for clearing Threat.

It'd take too long for me to go over every single card in the decks if you want to make informed decisions about their composition. However, if you want to know, the base game cards I'm using are here, and the Away Team rules (which include the expansion's cards) are here.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2019

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

All right, let's complete the Mission Stage.
  • Planetary Guards (Away Team expansion. The away team may not complete any other actions until this card is defeated by the away team. Costs 2 Command OR 2 Security to clear.)
Nice! This card doesn't affect us yet, and we can pre-emptively clear it now (presumably by doing the 'set ship phasers to stun' thing they did in one episode). Or we could hold off and do other stuff with our dice. Up to you!

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Planetary Guards (Away Team expansion. The away team may not complete any other actions until this card is defeated by the away team. Costs 2 Command OR 2 Security to clear.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

It does say "until this card is defeated by the Away Team", I'd have thought that meant we couldn't use ship phasers.

Oooh, good catch. My mistake. Well, at least it doesn't do anything currently.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

1 Security die and a 3 dice combo of Med team+Spock Clear sensors

If you're trying to do what I think you're trying to do here, it won't work. Mr. Spock produces a Science point, not a Science Die. You need three actual Crew Dice to perform the 'treat three Crew Dice as a single Crew Die of any type' action.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

habituallyred posted:

Sounds like a job for the communicator:
1 Command die to Communicator, Discard Personnel Transfer, 1 Security die and a 3 dice combo of Med team+Spock Clear sensors, 1 Engineering die standby

While, as previously noted, this plan is flawed, it's still possible to accomplish your goals, and the dice picked you, so let's do it. We put a Command Die on Communicator, discard Personnel Transfer, treat two Medical Dice and a Science Die as a Security Die, use that and the actual Security Die to Clear Sensors, and lock in the Engineering Die. The remaining Science Die, and Mr. Spock's bonus, go unused.

Next turn rolls around, and we draw a new Event Card:
  • Transporter Malfunction (Shipboard event. The Transport action may not be used. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)

Claiming the Shuttlecraft Galileo Development Card would let us ignore this, once, but whether we do that or simply clear the Event Card, we won't be able to Transport this turn.

Including the Engineering Die we had locked in, we roll:

We can't keep all of those Engineering Dice. Should we use Reassigned to reroll one, taking the chance it'll turn into a Threat Die, or just return it to Quarters?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Engineering: 4/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 8/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Transporter Malfunction (Shipboard event. The Transport action may not be used. Costs 2 Engineering to clear.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Costs 2 Command to claim. Progress: 1/2.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

Question: do the Planetary Guards count as a Combat that Mr Spock can nerve pinch for free? Also, are we required to clear that Event and then wait until next turn before we can do Task 4?

Combat is a type of Mission Stage. We haven't seen it yet. As for the use of turns, provided we get the necessary dice and don't have further interference from events, the fastest method of advancing is:
  • This turn: clear Transporter Malfunction or claim Shuttlecraft Galileo.
  • Next turn: complete the Transport Action.
  • The turn after that: clear Planetary Guards. If we have dice left over, we can also complete Influence that turn, but we must clear Planetary Guards first.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

As no one has objected, we reroll the excess Engineering Die and get a Command Die. Given that, what should we do this turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

inflatablefish posted:

We are still on the same turn as Task 2 (which was draw an Event card, we drew the Transporter malfunction) and we can't clear two objectives on the same turn.

We do, but we don't have space in our hand - we have a max of 9 cards, so we can get either the Communicator or the Shuttlecraft but not both. Unless we throw something away.

Correct on all counts.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Reroll the surplus die, please. If it's not threat or more engineering, bank it for next turn with whatever it rolls. - Since we have rolled a Command die, hold it for now.
Other than that, we need to get out of this mission with all haste, these events are bad news.
1. Clear Transporter malfunction with 2 Engineering dice.
2. Bank the surplus engineering die
3. Convert the two Science dice and a Security die to a Command die and take Communicator.
4. Use the remaining security die to clear the threat.

EDIT: orders changed with new information

Done. We draw a new Development Card...
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)
...and a new Event Card as the next turn starts.
  • Tribbles (Shipboard event. Roll a Crew Die. Place a token on a corresponding Crew Station. This station is blocked. Costs one Command and one Engineering to clear.)

Rolling gives us a Medical Die. Now we roll the dice. Counting the Engineering and Command Dice we held over from last turn, we get:

Which puts us in the same situation as last turn. Do we reroll the extra Engineering Die?

||     / /    `--'
            __||____/ /_
           |___         \
               `--------'

MISSION STATUS

• Engineering: 4/3
  • Medical: 0/3 (-1)
  • Science: 0 (+1)/3
Dilithium Crystal Reserve: 7/10

Mission Stages:
Active Event Cards:
  • Tribbles (Shipboard event. Roll a Crew Die. Place a token on a corresponding Crew Station. This station is blocked. Costs one Command and one Engineering to clear.)
  • Communicator (Technology card. Add two bonus Command Dice to one Challenge, then discard. Cost 2 Command to claim.)
  • Dilithium Deposits (2) (Technology card. Add two Dilithium Crystals to the Dilithium Crystal Reserves, then discard. Costs 2 Engineering to claim.)

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 27, 2019