Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

• Complete the current mission stage using one Engineering Die, then:
    • Complete the Diagnostic Scanner (using the Command Die to get the second Medical Die) and remove one Threat Die.

With any of these options, we'd have either an Engineering Die or a Science Die left over, which we could save for next turn.

Let's do this, and save a Science Die so we can use it next turn to science the science.

Do we get a bonus for finishing the event with spare dilithium, or is it an advantage to hold off on the final step so we can activate our development cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This seems to suggest that the best strategy would be to put all our dice on the Away Team since they then can't generate Threat. Which of our Development Cards are Starship only?

Also: in what order do dice take effect? Our Away Team Security Pool is a maximum of two - are we able to spend those two on a card, then use a Command Die to change another die to a Security Die and spend that on the same card?

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 16, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Oops, let me clarify - if I'm reading you correctly, we can only complete the Scan task using Away Team Science Dice, so saving one on the ship wouldn't be much use because we have nothing to spend it on. I vote to send all 8 dice on the Away Team. If we need anyone back on the ship, we can get a trickle back via the sickbay anyway (and can somehow heal them using Away Team Medical Dice!)

In fact, just looking at how badly we can game the system here... what if we plan to complete Steps 3 and 4, buy the Medical Tricorder to hold in reserve (which will let us complete Step 5 whenever we want to), then keep all our crew on the Away Team (generating no Threat) getting us extra Development cards while we use up our spare Dilithium?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
So leaving crew on the ship generated Threat? You know, guys, I hate to say I told you so, but... (that's a complete lie, I love it.)

But yeah, your plan's pretty much a no-brainer, let's do that. Hopefully next turn we'll be able to get some Development in.
EDIT: let's also keep sending shipboard crew to Sickbay rather than Away Team crew.
EDIT EDIT: Can the Reassigned card only be used for shipboard crew, or also for the Away Team? If it's shipboard only then it'll always carry a risk of rolling Threat.

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 17, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

All Development Cards work equally well on shipboard and away team Crew Dice.
Does this mean that the Security Station could be used to let us have 3 Security Dice on an Away Mission? That's pretty valuable.

FredMSloniker posted:

I, personally, would go for using two away team Medical Dice to claim the Medical Tricorder, using the shipboard Medical Die to Heal the Crew Die in Sickbay, using the shipboard Command Die to turn one Away Team Security Die into an Engineering Die, using the away team Wild Die as a Science Die, and using the away team Engineering Die and the away team Science Die to advance the Mission Card.
I'd go with this - I don't see much point locking in that Medical Die, we may as well get it used so it goes back to our pool. We'll lose a Crew Die from Crew Quarters to Sickbay leaving us with 3, so we can't max out Threat in a single roll no matter how unlucky we are - if we could then there'd be an argument for leaving some crew sick!
And I still think that we ought to drag our heels and use up some of our spare turns before we complete Task 5 - once we have the Medical Tricorder there's no risk of failing that task so we can take it close to the wire.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
How do you treat two away team Medical Dice as a Science Die? I thought it took three dice to do that?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

habituallyred posted:

2 Science dice to Scan Planet, 2 Medical dice and Mr. Spock clear up the event, Security die to clear sensors thanks to boosted sensors, 2 Command dice standby.
This would be my choice.

Damanation posted:

The above seems good, but let's use our reroll on the command dice to see if we get anything useful?
I disagree, there isn't anything else we actually need right now, and there's a chance that it could roll a Threat if we reroll it. If we leave them locked in as Command then we can use them to get whatever dice we need next turn... or else ditch one of our Development cards to buy the Communicator which could be useful for Task 4.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, I think we may as well get the Event over with, we're still in a pretty good position.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

4. We're at cap for Active Development Cards, and none of the ones currently available seem as useful to me as the ones we have (though I'd like to see other people's opinions on that since I could be entirely wrong - I tend to overvalue passives).

I also love passive bonuses, but given that we seem to be drawing plenty of Tricorders/Communicators etc I think it'd be good to save one space for them - e.g. if we had paid 2 Command to get the Communicator we'd be guaranteed to be able to pass Task 4 as soon as we get to it. We could easily ditch Personnel Transfer, all it'll give us is the chance to throw away a good card for a less-good one.

I'm pretty sure we'll have to make some heartbreaking choices soon though. I very much like our boosted actions, ie being able to clear 2 Threat with 1 Security die. I'm less certain that Mr Spock and the Nerve Pinch will be quite as useful, they could be rather situational. I'm assuming that Kirk is 1 free Command Die each round, Scotty is 1 free Engineering etc, in which case getting whoever gives us 1 free Security die each round (Sulu? Chekov?) will probably be the most valuable for clearing Threat.

EDIT: I have a question! Are we allowed to spend Mr Spock's free Science die just like any other Science die, ie use it plus the other 2 to become 1 Security die and clear threat?

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

It'd take too long for me to go over every single card in the decks if you want to make informed decisions about their composition. However, if you want to know, the base game cards I'm using are here, and the Away Team rules (which include the expansion's cards) are here.

Nah, I'm just guessing here, I'd rather leave it as a surprise for when we get whatever it is.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
It does say "until this card is defeated by the Away Team", I'd have thought that meant we couldn't use ship phasers.

Anyway, let's change our 3 Science Dice into a Security Die (or 2 Sci + 1 Med if we can't use Spock's free die for this), spend this plus our other Security Die to clear Threat, then lock in the Command and the Engineering dice ready for the Transport step next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yes, reroll it. Then spend one Security to clear Threat, spend 2 Engineering to clear the Event card, lock 1 Engineering, and spend 2 Science + 1 Security as a Command Die to get the Communicator.

Question: do the Planetary Guards count as a Combat that Mr Spock can nerve pinch for free? Also, are we required to clear that Event and then wait until next turn before we can do Task 4?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
  • Spend one Security to clear Threat.
  • Spend 2 Engineering to clear the Transporter Malfunction card.
  • Spend 2 Science + 1 Security as a Command Die to get the Communicator.
  • Lock 1 Engineering Die and 1 Command Die.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

2. Use the remaining Engineering die to perform the Transport action. (If possible? You indicated above that it can't be done this turn, does the event prevent us from performing the mission objective on the turn we clear it?) If not possible, bank it for next turn.
We are still on the same turn as Task 2 (which was draw an Event card, we drew the Transporter malfunction) and we can't clear two objectives on the same turn.

habituallyred posted:

pretty sure we have 2 Science and 1 Security dice left over for Shuttlecraft Galileo
We do, but we don't have space in our hand - we have a max of 9 cards, so we can get either the Communicator or the Shuttlecraft but not both. Unless we throw something away.

inflatablefish fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Apr 27, 2019

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Don't reroll the Engineering die, because that risks us hitting 4 Threat, which would be bad.

Spend 1 Engineering to Transport, spend 1 Command + 1 Engineering to sweep up the tribbles (I'm almost surprised that they don't block an extra station every turn!), then spend 2 Security to clear scanners. Beam down 7 crew.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay. Okay okay okay. We can (maybe!) do this.

1. Use Reassigned to reroll an Away Team Science Die. We're hoping for a Command Die here.
2. As you said, spend 2 Away Team Security Dice to clear Planetary Guards.
3. Spend the Communicator to complete Task 4.
4. Spend our Away Team Engineering die to Repair Hull.
5a. If our re-roll gave us a Command Die (or wild die), then spend it to change our Shipboard Command Die into an Engineering Die, spend 2 Away Team Medical +1 Away Team Science as another Command Die to change our Shipboard Security Die into an Engineering Die and spend these two Engineering on fixing the Hull Breach.
5b. If our re-roll was not kind, use our Shipboard Command Die to change our Shipboard Security Die into an Engineering Die and lock it, then spend 2 Away Team Medical +1 Away Team Science as a Security Die and clear scanners.

Does the Hull Breach go away by itself if we complete the mission?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We might as well re-roll that extra Engineering die.

Use 1 Away Team Command die to change the shipboard Command die into an Engineering die. Use the two shipboard Engineering dice to fix that Hull Breach.
Use 2 Away Team Engineering dice to clear the Weapons Malfunction.
Use 2 Away Team Wild dice as Science dice to claim the Tricorder.
If our re-roll came up Security then Clear Scanners, if it came up Wild then Repair Hull.
Complete the Mission Card.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Done. We get a Science Die instead, which isn't helpful to your plan.
Of course now I realise that we could have spend that in place of a Wild Die when we claimed the Tricorder, which would have let us use that Wild die as Engineering to Repair Hull. Oh well.

Let's spend 2 Science to clear the Comms Blackout, spend 2 Engineering on Travel, spend 1 Security to clear scanners and lock in the other Security.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, with a different roll that could be a nasty card. Fortunately, the dice have been kind!

Let's use Reassigned to re-roll that Command die. Then let's spend 2 Command to punch the alien in the face, spend 2 Science to complete Task 2, and spend our 1 Security to clear scanners. Spend 1 Engineering to Repair Hull, lock in the other 2 Engineering, and if our re-roll was another Security die then lock it.

I think that's everything useful we can do this turn?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ditch the Science die - Spock can make up the difference, and we need Engineering both to fix this and beam down.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend 1 Engineering + 1 Medical + Spock's Science to fix the Explosive Decompression. Seriously, what's up with our hull this episode? Did we use the wrong sort of duct tape on the hull breach?
Spend the other Engineering to beam down.
Use 1 Command to change the Science Die to Security, then use both Security to clear scanners.
Beam down 6 dice. Hopefully we'll be able to get that one out of Sickbay next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Can I just say the game has been pretty kind to us so far? We got a softball first year mission, and so far the dice have not been stingy.

Yeah, we were really lucky with that first mission - if we hadn't been able to tech up to getting our security, medical and engineering to work at double efficiency we'd really have been struggling so far.

Shipboard: Spend 1 Security to clear scanners, spend 1 Medical to Heal, lock in 1 Command.
Planetside: Spend 2 Wild dice as Medical to complete Task 4. Spend 1 Command to change the other Command into a Science, spend 1 Science + Spock to un-plague the planet. Spend 1 Engineering to Repair Hull.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's spend 2 Wild dice as Command dice to change the shipboard Command and Medical dice into Security, then OPEN FIRE! ALL WEAPONS!
Then let's Repair Hull with an Engineering die, draw one Development card to complete Task 5, and blow this popsicle stand.

I think your updates are fine, though I do enjoy those Star Trek images you throw in every now and again.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Now the Klingons are getting involved, and we don't want to antagonize them!

Counterpoint: we are James T. Kirk. We totally want to antagonize them.

And/or sleep with them.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well that could have gone badly! We're hitting the point where the hand limit on Development cards is going to start to hurt. What's everyone's opinion on which ones we can live without? I'm thinking we're not getting a huge amount of use out of the Security Station.

Anyway, let's spend 1 Security to clear scanners, convert 3 Medical into 1 Engineering die and spend it with the other to complete Task 1, bank 2 Science on the Scanner Malfunction and spend the other 1 to Raise Shields. It's a bit of a risk but I think we're best off progressing the mission when we can, and given that the next stage is free I'm hoping we can get more done next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Spend 2 Engineering to clear the Scanner Malfunction.
Convert 2 Security to 1 Engineering, convert 2 Med + 1 Sci to 1 Engineering, spend with the Tricorder to collect Uhura.
Bank the Command Die for next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

You can, but of course you risk rolling another Threat Die, which is why I don't do it automatically. That said, if no one objects, I can start doing it!
How about, if we have less than 3 out of 4 Threat (so an extra Threat wouldn't give us an Event Card), we reroll automatically?

habituallyred posted:

Reroll that surplus Command die, 2 Command dice to Influence our mission;
if we end up with 2 Security dice combine them with 2 Engineering dice to clear the battlecruiser;
if no additional Security then use 2 Engineering dice to Clear sensors and lock 1 Security die on the battle cruiser;
if we end up with 2 Medical dice or 1 Science die refresh shields

I agree with all this. I was thinking something similar, but you've phrased the conditionals far better than I would have! It's easy to tell which of us was paying attention back in Starfleet Academy.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We have plenty of dilithium, so I think we ought to stick around and fight off these three Klingons before we complete the mission. It's what Kirk would do!

Spend 1 Science to Raise Shields.
Spend 2 Command to convert 2 Medical to 2 Security and blow up that first battlecruiser.
Spend 2 Engineering to Repair Hull.
Bank 1 Science for re-raising the shields next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Security and Engineering dice to finish off the damaged battlecruiser, 1 Science die to raise shields, Order Medical die into Security and put it on the last Battlecruiser, Lock one Science die, Finish Mission

I agree with all of this except finishing the mission, I think we should hold off and kill the final battlecruiser first.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Finally a nice gentle event!
Use 1 Command to change 1 Science into 1 Security. Spend this, plus 2 Engineering as another Security, to scrape the remaining Klingon off our starboard bow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE&t=30s
Spend 1 Science to re-raise shields.
Spend 1 Medical to Heal.
Complete the mission.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We don't actually need that much Science on this mission, so I'm going to say we leave the probe where it is for now.

Spend 1 Security to clear scanners.
Spend 2 Medical + 1 Science to lower shields.
Spend 1 Engineering to beam down.
Beam down 7 crew.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend 2 Away Team Medical Dice to complete the Cure task.
Use the 2 Away Team red dice (2 Security + 1 Engineering) as a Science Die, and spend it with the shipboard Science die to clear the Ion Storm.
Lock in the Away Team Command die, and turn the Away Team Wild die into Command and lock it in as well. Lock in the Shipboard Engineering die.
(I'm still hoping we can grab Kirk before we complete this run, even if we don't get to use him for anything.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Okay, okay, we can still handle this. This event's pretty interesting - if it happens at the wrong time, it can force a game loss because we can't resolve it and a transport objective on the same turn.
1. We can't use the away team to solve the event, but we can use the away team in other ways. Use the Away Team Command die to change a Shipboard Science die to Engineering.
2. Use the two shipboard Engineering dice to clear the Transporter Malfunction event.
3. I assume it's not a legal move, but if I'm wrong use the Engineering die on the Away team to beam everyone back up. If not, bank it for next turn, please.

This, but also spend any 3 Away Team dice as a Command die to change that last Shipboard Science die into an Engineering and then bank it for next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Better exploit this good luck while it lasts!

Spend 1 Engineering to complete the Transport task.
Spend 2 Science as 1 Medical to Heal.

Spend 1 Security to clear scanners.
Bank the Command Die to hopefully spend on Kirk next turn.
Beam down 9 people. One will come right back to Sickbay, but with no Event cards coming out, there are no Shipboard Events, so we don't need to leave anyone up here!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
1. Spend the 1 Command Die on Kirk.
2. Use the 2 Wild Dice as Command Dice on Kirk.
3. Spend 2 Science + 1 Security as a Command Die to put on Kirk.
4. Spend 2 Engineering + 1 Security as a Command Die to put on Kirk.
5. Seduce hot alien women.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well, we still have a bit of Dilithium left and I think we're going to need all the cards we can get this time, so I think we ought to use the rest of our time to get as much as we can.
Spend 3 Medical to claim Medical Station.
Spend 1 Medical to Heal.
Spend 1 Command to claim Personnel Transfer.
Spend Kirk's Command to change the Shipboard Security Die into a Science and lock it on Science Station.

Do we have to finish the mission when our Dilithium reserve hits 1, or can we run it down to zero and still have the rest of the turn to complete the mission in?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

nweismuller posted:

Spend two Command to claim Reassigned. Use the remaining Command to convert a Security to Engineering. Spend three Engineering to grab Dilithium Deposits. Spend one Medical to Cure. Lock 1 Science on Science Station.

This, but I'm pretty sure we can't lock an Away Team die on a partially-completed Development card, so just save that Science for next turn instead. Also, spend Dilithium Deposits as soon as we've got them because we'll probably never get a better chance to tech up than on this softball mission.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend Dilithium Deposits (seriously, those cards keep on coming up like nobody's business)
Spend 2 Security on Red Alert.
Use Kirk to change 1 Engineering to 1 Security and spend it with the Science for Vulcan Nerve Pinch.
Heal.
Lock in all Command dice.

I'm in favour of sending Shipboard crew to Sickbay, I've spent the whole thread being terrified of Threat and I'm not going to change now!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

nweismuller posted:

I think we should end here, because pushing on yet more means we're likely to lose one of the valuable Personnel cards we just drew. We can pick up Mr. Scott and Dr. McCoy in the next mission.

Agreed, but use Security/Medical to clear scanners and heal first.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, so if we don't keep killing the Raiders then we're going to start getting the rather nastier Klingons. Good to know.

Spend 1 Science to Raise Shields. Spend 1 Engineering (thanks Sulu!) to complete the Travel action.
Spend 2 Command to change 2 Science to 2 Security.
Spend 2 Security destroying that Raider, and 1 more to clear scanners.
Bank 1 Engineering for next turn.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend 1 Security to complete the Combat objective thanks to Vulcan Neck Pinch.
Spend 2 Security to splat the Raider.
Use Kirk to change a Medical to an Engineering.
Lock 3 Engineering on Scotty.
I plan to ditch Personnel Transfer as being too situational to keep.
Bank 1 Command and 1 Science for next turn. Command is always useful, and we can use the Science to either complete the next objective or re-raise shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Spend both Command to change a Science and a Medical to Engineering.
Spend 2 Engineering to claim Scotty, discarding Personnel Transfer.
Spend 2 Security to engage the Raider in a debate.
Spend 1 Science to Raise Shields.