Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
New thread is up! Go check it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890655

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hzwH2k4nxCpet1cZUxMOkHHpmCrM3IY6-IZGqWxue3c/edit

Here is a google doc with all the info thus far.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
All I know is that the conspiracy-prone CoH Survivors facebook group I'm on has been going bonkers for the last 24 hours.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

Confirms it exists. Paragon Chat was a smoke screen. Everyone involved in this secret private server is a dick.

The worst part, the loving WORST part, is they have our character information from the live servers. loving all of it. They are so far up their own rear end they were willing to risk a massive data breach to continue playing their live server characters instead of starting over.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pretty wild.

It's pretty hilarious you've got that main guy and someone else going "well you didnt have access and now that you know, you're definitely not getting access".

RIP CoX, we all miss you

dreffen fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 16, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Freakazoid_ posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

Confirms it exists. Paragon Chat was a smoke screen. Everyone involved in this secret private server is a dick.

The worst part, the loving WORST part, is they have our character information from the live servers. loving all of it. They are so far up their own rear end they were willing to risk a massive data breach to continue playing their live server characters instead of starting over.

They say they don't have any of that info.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
lol, one of the accusations is that the guys running the private server are squatting on the actual source code as well, and just didn't share it with anyone else because they wanted to be the only ones playing the "true" coh private server

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao, gently caress these guys

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Imagine having the actual source code for a dead online game that so many people have been dying to play again, but you're too far up your own rear end to let others host their own servers with it :laugh:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ever since I wandered out of my bubble in the CoH community (I basically played only with my SG and SG-adjacent people), I've been surprised at how... bizarre this community is.

It's funny that people are surprised that the private server wasn't public knowledge and publicly accessible. I can't blame the server admins, tbh, making it public would've probably gotten it nuked by NCSoft.

I do think it was kind of lovely to not at least anonymously leak the source code.

Still, watching the CoH facebook group lose their collective loving minds, is funny, and really highlights how... interesting some of these people are. I literally just saw someone saying that the guys running the server should be brought up on felony charges. :allears: I guess the charge would be "being a big meanie liar face"?

Reminds me of the people who legit were like "Perhaps the US should reconsider its relations with South Korea" because shutting down a video game basically made them triple-Hitler

I do wish they had at least shared the source code and not shut out people who were working on it and looking for help, so some other person could take the risk of running a publicly accessible private server, but meh.

EDIT: Someone's trying to argue he should be in jail on some kind of hacking charge but you know drat well if they were playing on the server, or if it was otherwise accessible, he wouldn't be saying poo poo about any sort of criminal aspect.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 16, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the funniest thing about this is that there are a few CoH revival projects and I'm betting a lot of those people knew about this server but have continued to take money (probably more than they would have had there been CoH servers floating around people could use)

Seems pretty likely because it looks like you got into this server by having an 'in' in the community, and they definitely would have.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
the fear of being sued is completely valid

the idea of them having the live database seems unlikely, it's at the very least doubtful.

at any rate, pretty exciting times, I hope this turns out.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I ain't even mad, just distantly hopeful I might get to play City of Heroes again after all these years.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'm mad! Look, I get that corporations aren't anyone's friend, and they cut the game for reasons of personal profit. :capitalism:. But the fans should treat each other better than this!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Pladdicus posted:

the fear of being sued is completely valid

the idea of them having the live database seems unlikely, it's at the very least doubtful.

at any rate, pretty exciting times, I hope this turns out.

If they host it in the US maybe, but the dozens of public for-profit servers of other MMOs makes it seem unlikely they’d be sued if they went about it the right way.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I had heard about SCORE forever ago but completely forgot about it. I figured it was just basically a slightly further along SEGS. Oof.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm mad! Look, I get that corporations aren't anyone's friend, and they cut the game for reasons of personal profit. :capitalism:. But the fans should treat each other better than this!

I dunno.
If NCsoft splats/C&D's the server dude when this gets on their radar then this whole thing turns into a really ugly and pointless 'I-told-you-so' where the secrecy was justified and there's less chance of a public server.

If nothing happens, maybe they'll disseminate the code. But I just don't trust NCsoft to not do CoX dirty a second time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crasical posted:

I dunno.
If NCsoft splats/C&D's the server dude when this gets on their radar then this whole thing turns into a really ugly and pointless 'I-told-you-so' where the secrecy was justified and there's less chance of a public server.

If nothing happens, maybe they'll disseminate the code. But I just don't trust NCsoft to not do CoX dirty a second time.

There's nothing really stopping them from uploading the code anonymously so people can spin up their own servers, I don't think. NCSoft can C&D, sure, but new ones will be put up all the time. This just seems like a powertrip from the server owner. Especially with the "well we were GOING to do public events but then this guy leaked everything!" bullshit that I don't think literally anyone believes.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2019

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Pylons posted:

There's nothing really stopping them from uploading the code anonymously so people can spin up their own servers, I don't think. NCSoft can C&D, sure, but new ones will be put up all the time. This just seems like a powertrip from the server owner.

You're correct. That's exactly what many other private server projects have done, and that is how they survive for so long. They release their code so anyone can host their own server. Why do you think not even Blizzard has been able to get rid of private servers? The best they could do was shut down a really big one, but then like 3 more popped up instantly.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 16, 2019

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Pylons posted:

There's nothing really stopping them from uploading the code anonymously so people can spin up their own servers, I don't think. NCSoft can C&D, sure, but new ones will be put up all the time. This just seems like a powertrip from the server owner. Especially with the "well we were GOING to do public events but then this guy leaked everything!" bullshit that I don't think literally anyone believes.

Sure, we kept this project a secret for six years but if we'd been left alone for SEVEN it could have gone public! But everything is ruined now oh well.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Pylons posted:

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

You're correct. That's exactly what many other private server projects have done, and that is how they survive for so long. They release their code so anyone can host their own server. Why do you think not even Blizzard has been able to get rid of private servers? The best they could do was shut down a really big one, but then like 3 more popped up instantly.

That's very fair. I've never played on a private server so I hadn't ever considered running stuff like this.

Hopefully he actually does distribute the code. I wanna believe that someday I can play a seven-year-old abandonware title. :T

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

tbh most likely outcome is that they just try to ride this out which is the sad part. nothing's going to change, a lot of people are going to feel hurt for no good reason, and the owner seems to be doubling down on his policies so this is probably just going to end in heartbreak for everyone involved.

really i'm just hurt at the end of the day that all this news is, is a kick in the nuts and I probably still won't get a chance to play the game again.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

nyttyn posted:

tbh most likely outcome is that they just try to ride this out which is the sad part. nothing's going to change, a lot of people are going to feel hurt for no good reason, and the owner seems to be doubling down on his policies so this is probably just going to end in heartbreak for everyone involved.

really i'm just hurt at the end of the day that all this news is, is a kick in the nuts and I probably still won't get a chance to play the game again.

That's what I think, too. There's absolutely no way that SEGS or City of Titans makes any more significant process now that this news is out. Even if the team is willing, donations will absolutely dry up.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I thought CoT was kickstarted. Or was that just for proof-of-concept?

Either way, I need to go stock up on popcorn, this sure is something

EDIT: I suppose I'm a bit more sympathetic to the people mad about this than I let on, it's just I've been in the CoH Survivor facebook group since it started and like, man, there are some really hosed up people on there; I saw a lot of anti-Korean racism early on and then also I think the level of obsession a lot of the people there display is extremely unhealthy. I get missing the game, but it's like these guys were actively jabbing their fingers into their wounds while lamenting how much it hurt and I tend to automatically assume they're over-reacting (and I do think they are in this case, a bit). I almost can't blame the people who run the private server for not wanting these people there.

What I don't understand is why they didn't leak the code to allow someone else to bear that burden. Perhaps there's some weight to the theory that if the code was leaked it could be traced back to one of the devs and get them in a shitload of trouble.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 16, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just going to keep waiting for City of Titans to come out.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah if it weren't for the fact that DCUO is just so completely different from CoH, and Champions Online kinda sucks and also never ever gets new content, I wouldn't care nearly as much

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mastermind is still the best "pet class" in any game I've played, and I've tried basically all of them.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: I suppose I'm a bit more sympathetic to the people mad about this than I let on, it's just I've been in the CoH Survivor facebook group since it started and like, man, there are some really hosed up people on there; I saw a lot of anti-Korean racism early on

Yeah, I poked around after hearing about this, 4chan in particular had some pretty nasty stuff being aimed at Leandro for being Argentinian. It's been disappointing to see the community I used to enjoy let rip with the racism so quickly after getting mad.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
so many irrationally angry people

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I still can't get over the "They shut down our game, the US government should put sanctions on South Korea!" stuff I saw people saying back in the day

I long ago learned that I actually didn't give a poo poo about the CoH community, it was my SG that I really liked.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sure, we kept this project a secret for six years but if we'd been left alone for SEVEN it could have gone public! But everything is ruined now oh well.

There was no way they were gonna straight up say "yeah we didn't care because we've been playing it and having fun" but that bold-faced lie of, "well we were gonna but now" is the most laughable poo poo.

The magic threshold of mid-2019 where they wouldn't have gotten shutdown by going public!

What a bunch of assholes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: I suppose I'm a bit more sympathetic to the people mad about this than I let on, it's just I've been in the CoH Survivor facebook group since it started and like, man, there are some really hosed up people on there; I saw a lot of anti-Korean racism early on and then also I think the level of obsession a lot of the people there display is extremely unhealthy. I get missing the game, but it's like these guys were actively jabbing their fingers into their wounds while lamenting how much it hurt and I tend to automatically assume they're over-reacting (and I do think they are in this case, a bit). I almost can't blame the people who run the private server for not wanting these people there.

I'm really not sure why I'm still in that group, given people are still holding grudges over the closure, still spinning the same old conspiracy theories, and the fact that a fair number of them are clearly trying to get the private server closed out of pique. I wouldn't want to share a zone with any of those fuckers either.

Someone suggested that it costs about a grand a month to keep the lights on for that server. If that's true, I wouldn't expect to see a lot of other ones popping up with the same codebase, though I would expect to see a queue-making GBS threads rush on the one that was running.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is the Titan Network that was supposedly somewhat involved in this mess the same thing as the City of Titans group?

Also I really doubt COH was bringing in more money than Aion and Lineage II combined at the time of closure. Lineage 2 was still fairly huge in Korea at the time iirc.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Deki posted:

Is the Titan Network that was supposedly somewhat involved in this mess the same thing as the City of Titans group?

Also I really doubt COH was bringing in more money than Aion and Lineage II combined at the time of closure. Lineage 2 was still fairly huge in Korea at the time iirc.

Nah, City of Titans split off to form Missing Worlds Media and City of Titans quite a ways early in the Titan Network kerfluffle.

Also, https://cityoftitans.com/comment/170153#comment-170153

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://twitter.com/leandrotlz/status/1118295036213510145

The Goon Assassin is coming.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I get being secret about your in progress emulator but it seems like this was 'completed' some time ago and a involved a fair bit of misinformation.

This situation seems super lovely from every angle but I hope it ends up with someone leaking this code or whatever so that i can play coh/v again.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 17, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sankis posted:

I get being secret about your in progress emulator but it seems like this was 'completed' some time ago and a involved a fair bit of misinformation.

This situation seems super lovely from every angle but I hope it ends up with someone leaking this code or whatever so that i can play coh/v again.

It's not even an emulator, they just *have* the server files.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

"Put the source code in the bag if you know what's good for you" lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That is definitely a reasoned, calm, and not-psychotic response to someone playing a video game that you want to play but can't