Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hup posted:

I remember having fun with it but I’m sure it’s aged like milk

There were fun missions, and I enjoyed putting things together, but the fact that it would be predominantly used for powerfarming was obvious from day one. It didn't help that archetype powers were wildly overtuned and could completely obliterate people if you weren't careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I tried making legit arcs back in the day with moral choices (usually timed missions or mobs that ran away when hurt) on the AE. One of my best received arcs was a villainside one where a dude asks you to murder some witnesses to a Family robbery that left people dead. Your contact is a Family capo who is going to become a Consigliere if he solves this "problem" and he decides to hire you as the fixer. Two of the witnesses are super-powered folks, but it turns out the last two witnesses are the AE contact's own parents, two elderly frail people without any hint of power, and he begs you to let them go into protective Longbow custody. If you kill them he becomes a Consigliere but hates your guts and is obviously suicidal, and if you don't he says he will go into hiding but it's clear he's a dead man walking.

Had a lot of good responses to that one.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hakarne posted:

Introducing my new Plant/Storm controller, TROPICAL TERROR! He's a super-powered hippie with an unfortunate side effect from his great powers.

If my wife saw me writing these bios she might have me sent to a psychiatrist

I wasn’t ready for that second paragraph lol

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Rest in peace Tropical Terror's butt

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For my DP/Dark Corruptor's Interface slot: would Degenerative (procs -Max HP on target) or Paralytic (procs -def) be more useful?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Harrow posted:

For my DP/Dark Corruptor's Interface slot: would Degenerative (procs -Max HP on target) or Paralytic (procs -def) be more useful?

absolutely degen, if you're playing in content where you have access to those you should not have accuracy issues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

absolutely degen, if you're playing in content where you have access to those you should not have accuracy issues.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that makes sense.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the best way to build a crab? Grenades, single shot, all the defenses and pets?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Is there any reason to not be a rogue/vigilante? Or should I just commit to red or blue? I can’t remember and/or never knew.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Thronde posted:

What's the best way to build a crab? Grenades, single shot, all the defenses and pets?

All that really matters is Venom Grenade and the crab leadership toggles. You could take nothing but those powers and still be an asset to the team.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

hup posted:

Is there any reason to not be a rogue/vigilante? Or should I just commit to red or blue? I can’t remember and/or never knew.

there used to be, due to hero/villain merits, but as of i25 it seems to be an unqualified benefit to go r/v at your earliest convenience

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The Rogue/Vigilante powers are kind of butts compared to the ones that heroes and villains get IIRC.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wp/sj tanker, what should i be looking at for an alpha slot, resilient?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the hydras fight is fun and if you dont want to move during a fight you might want to try some of those idle clicker games they have now

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I made a Stalker, Dual Swords and Bio. Holy poo poo does this thing just puke damage.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

uncurable mlady posted:

wp/sj tanker, what should i be looking at for an alpha slot, resilient?

Tankers should generally go Musculature - you should have more than enough survivability with just your primary, and extra damage helps.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Here’s a fun poll for my own curiosity. what do you folks do for alternate costumes? Do you do any/many, and do you do it with a purpose?

I haven’t spent much time coming up with secondary outfits since the revival, but I’ve liked the idea of creating some for key alts to represent e.g. different eras of a character (golden age comics, ‘MCU style’ etc.), or to engage with missions with a specific vibe. E.g. this is a magic heavy storyline, gonna chuck on my magic-variant outfit.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Here’s a fun poll for my own curiosity. what do you folks do for alternate costumes? Do you do any/many, and do you do it with a purpose?

I haven’t spent much time coming up with secondary outfits since the revival, but I’ve liked the idea of creating some for key alts to represent e.g. different eras of a character (golden age comics, ‘MCU style’ etc.), or to engage with missions with a specific vibe. E.g. this is a magic heavy storyline, gonna chuck on my magic-variant outfit.
I sometimes do a secondary color-swap of the main outfit, and depending on the character, separate ideas for their AT/backstory. My Plant controller has the four seasons represented with color (pink for spring, green for summer, etc.) with auras changing, while my AR Blaster has different "tactilol" outfits including a covert ops suit.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Sometimes I'll represent a progression of power with differing styles or more armor or whatever. I almost always have some kind of 'civilian' outfit too.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Roach Warehouse posted:

Hero costume
any alternate hero costume looks I can think of
'Classic Spandex' because I rarely conceptualize a character wearing the normal colored tights and I like challenging myself
Casual/Clubber/'Day Job' (Pocket D/street clothes)

As I get higher level I might start adding Longbow/Arachnos/Vanguard/Cimeroran/Midnight Club/Ourobouros costumes depending on what other groups I feel the character would have stronger ties to.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I remember AE giving its own currency to buy salvage and whatnot but that's not in anymore, right? You just need Inf. to buy whatever? I know I spent a lot of time crafting stuff for sets back in the day but I can't recall what I did to do it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Roach Warehouse posted:

I like doing palette swaps like how fighting games would have various colour palettes of the same character

Sometimes just simple color swaps can really rejuvenate a costume you've used a lot

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

what do i do with the incarnate stuff as a stalker

i cant find poo poo about it anywhere

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

The group I play with likes to do themed alt costumes, usually something dumb like beach or formal.

Come play City of Villains, my lord

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

FooF posted:

I remember AE giving its own currency to buy salvage and whatnot but that's not in anymore, right? You just need Inf. to buy whatever? I know I spent a lot of time crafting stuff for sets back in the day but I can't recall what I did to do it.

It used to be that you could only get architect tickets from architect, which was dumb because there were 872 currencies in the game already. The SCORE peeps changes it so you can get normal rewards.

You'll get most salvage from drops and buy what you can't find from the AH. There's also 'brainstorm ideas' which are dumb and can be ignored.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

I definitely make costumes for all the different sort of content I do, but also to represent part of the character's story. Here's an example since I've been playing this character a lot recently:

The two on the right which are goofs on other people's costumes that I made after teaming with them a lot, which I guess is a specific type of content in a way. But I've got stuff for doing low level street stuff, Cimmeroa, Praetoria, having a certain role in a group (I'm healing!), Incarnate content, going to the Rogue Isles and so on. I also had another Crey-inspired costume I wore early on for doing stuff like Manticore, but I've since retired that one and decided I don't like it very much.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Tsurupettan posted:

it is an inside joke from the old days, don't worry about it. it likely isnt even hosted still given the time period since then.

e: vvv i am trying to save people the suffering and time shhhh

Yeah, it's still there. It's only suffering if you don't like dudes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I AM THE MOON posted:

what do i do with the incarnate stuff as a stalker

i cant find poo poo about it anywhere

For a Stalker you're probably going to want Musculature for Alpha and Assault for Hybrid.

Lore is a grab bag of stuff and I think the highest rated stuff is Cimmeroans and IDF? I've heard the i25 Talons are pretty hot, but for this slot just go with whatever fits your characters theme / you think looks cool.

Judgement I think the best are Ion or Void.

A lot of people will tell you Ageless for Destiny, but I feel like Clarion and Barrier are better choices especially on an AT where you're not usually otherwise doing stuff that buffs your whole group. Plus, depending on what powers you have they may be doing a lot to help you as well!

Interface is the slot I know sort of the least about. I think Reactive and Paralytic are generally good choices, and I think Cognitive and Degenerative sound really strong.

EDIT: Was corrected by someone who knows a lot more than I do.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 28, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So I tried to solo a task force, and it seemed to go fine right up until the end whereupon I was face to face with a gigantic room full of lieutenants, bosses, and an arch-villain. I logged out to exit it because I couldn't find the door, talked to the contact to abandon it.

Now the dude is my only contact, and trying to meet other contacts or pursue the missions I was previously on tell me I can't do that while on a task force. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Nevermind, the help channel was actually helpful. There's a task force quit button in the team window.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Did you trying to bring up your team menu and click the giant button that says "Quit Taskforce"?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Potsticker posted:

Did you trying to bring up your team menu and click the giant button that says "Quit Taskforce"?

Yeah, that was the solution. Next question: why does the LFG tool keep popping me into a party of one for task forces?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Probably because in general no one queues with LFG for task forces and with no one else in the pool it puts you in one with everyone currently also queueing. Which is 0.

For TFs people form groups beforehand, so ask in goonsquad when you want to run something and you'll likely get bites.

Or just lurk there until someone else asks and join theirs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mission objective: Take down Big Bad Man

I can respect the Destroyers. They know exactly who they are and what image they want to project.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Goon Server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890615

I'll just have to spam this every page until the OP gets updated or something.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Moola posted:

I did a trial and at some point it said Gladiator unlocked?

I dont know what this means

Don't worry! Neither did the devs.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

This, The Super Hero genre is uniquely suited to MMOs solving a bunch of issues.
But raids don't work, Very few things need that many heroes and they are big drat deals, thanos is not something you farm until you can get 6 shards of each of the 6 infinity stones and this takes you a six months. After which you have to fight Infinite Thanos for HEROIC Infinity stones.

Also Raid mechanics tend to shaft a lot of the CoX archetypes. Oh the boss is immune to CC&Debuffs? Welp hope you didn't build....wait there's 4/10 archetypes around those things?

Yeah; I was saying to a friend last night but I did have fun with iTrials... the first couple of times. The fact they were essentially all you could do to progress blew and I'm glad to hear the remake lets you do anything to get decent amounts of rewards, though then you run into the fact that Incarnate powers are some real hot nonsense for game balance.

And, yeah, my notable 50s were a PB, a tanker, and... a mastermind. An FF mastermind. It's like they specifically designed trials to gently caress over what was otherwise one of the most fun classes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made a bunch of AE missions back in the day and usually got some good responses.

The favorite was one where you're teamed up with a teen girl hero who likes to you about a villain's plan to kill everyone at an upcoming prom.

You bash his skull in, all the while he's clearly underpowered and confused as hell. Then you go to the prom (warehouse rave) to make sure nothing else happens.
I forget the exact details but the broad strokes was that she was desperate to make a name for herself and wanted to "save" everyone and absorb their adoration. I think that was how she got her power.

Anyway, you team up with the prom king and queen to take her now AV level of power that's caused her to have a psychic meltdown.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

it's kind of a shame to hear such detailed explanations of how the CoX endgame actually works/worked, because holy poo poo mmo devs it was a terrible idea to chase after the "hardcore" content as though that were a marketable demographic. I continue to bang on about how FFXIV has the dungeon roulette with, what, twenty things in it? and you get tomestones which you can spend getting twinked-out gear for your other characters so that they can do roulette runs, and you're just generally encouraged to explore the play space indefinitely. it's so obvious and good.

Inzombiac posted:

I made a bunch of AE missions back in the day and usually got some good responses.

The favorite was one where you're teamed up with a teen girl hero who likes to you about a villain's plan to kill everyone at an upcoming prom.

You bash his skull in, all the while he's clearly underpowered and confused as hell. Then you go to the prom (warehouse rave) to make sure nothing else happens.
I forget the exact details but the broad strokes was that she was desperate to make a name for herself and wanted to "save" everyone and absorb their adoration. I think that was how she got her power.

Anyway, you team up with the prom king and queen to take her now AV level of power that's caused her to have a psychic meltdown.

that sounds rad

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

it's kind of a shame to hear such detailed explanations of how the CoX endgame actually works/worked, because holy poo poo mmo devs it was a terrible idea to chase after the "hardcore" content as though that were a marketable demographic. I continue to bang on about how FFXIV has the dungeon roulette with, what, twenty things in it? and you get tomestones which you can spend getting twinked-out gear for your other characters so that they can do roulette runs, and you're just generally encouraged to explore the play space indefinitely. it's so obvious and good.

If you have any questions about what CoX currency does what in i26, feel free to ask, because it's extra confusing even though it's technically better than it was on live.

And since a lot of people have been asking in game WTF when they reach level 50 I figured I'd try and break it down.

So, there's actually like four different currencies for Incarnate powers. Plus a mess of salvage, which really isn't that more currencies? Basically how the system works is once you reach 50 (and have gone to a trainer to lock in that level up) you start getting special xp to your first Incarnate slot. Now, on live you had to do a special quest to get this kickstarted but i26 has streamlined the process. At this point you can't really do anything, but you'll start getting drops on two different currencies. Incarnate threads and Incarnate shards. If you manage to get your way into a party with someone running Dark Astoria arcs before 50 you might have some of these or some other stuff I'll get to, but otherwise you'll be starting fresh.

Once that special XP fills up it unlocks the Alpha slot. Each of the Incarnate slots have names because you actually slot new powers sort of like enhancements into them and there's a specific list for each slot.

After the Alpha is unlocked, then your xp gets split for the next two slots. After those unlock there's two more, then finally all the xp goes to the last slot. None of the slots really matter for this explanation except the Alpha slot. Now when it's first unlocked it's blank, like an empty enhancement slot. What you need to do is to check the tabs for your Incarnate Powers (It's in the bar in your regular Powers window) and you'll see there's tabs for Creating and for Converting.

So, two currencies you have. One of them, the shards are to make what is essentially salvage that only works for the Alpha slot. The threads on the other hand can make the salvage for any slot. Including the Alpha slot.The salvage is then used like you make IOs to make the powers for each slot. Now, because it's not complicated enough, powers each have 4 tiers and each tier requires one of the previous ones to make, except Tier 4 where you need any two of the previous tier.

In general the left side of the tree is better if you're not crunching numbers because you get higher numbers in the main thing the power does. If you're confused on which version of any power to take, sticking to the leftmost ones will generally be your best bet.

Okay, so thankfully if all you want to do is nothing that would give a "dirty RPer" a conniption fit, you can in i26 make everything out of threads, but after tier 2, you're going to either need a lot of threads, or better yet Empyrean Merits. (Currency #3) Again, i26 is great because every 3 levels you gain past 50, it just gives you like 20 of them. Now, if you're doing Incarnate level content like iTrials, sometimes they reward you the salvage you buy with threads and this new currency, but they also sometimes award you Astral merits (Currency #4). With the i26 changes, Astral merits don't do anything. If you go to the weird OC-looking character in Ouro named Luna she'll trade 5 Astral merits for one Empyrean Merit.

In general, never break down Emps or Astrals into threads. Threads come easy enough.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention, you can upgrade shards into threads on a 10:10 basis once every 20 hours for 1m influence or freely exchange them on a 10:5 basis as much as you want.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 28, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Goon Server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890615

I'll just have to spam this every page until the OP gets updated or something.

Make a new thread. I don't play this game enough to justify it but the OP is never coming back

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I kind of went all in on a support character - Sonic/Sonic Corruptor with support hybrid, cardiac alpha, and heal destiny. It's not the character I expected to take to 50 first on the new server - I'm used to scrappers and brutes - but holy poo poo it's a lot of fun to float around giving people 45% damage res all, -25% damage res to any enemies that wander next to the tank, and a bunch of buttons to tank accuracy into the ground. It feels great being this enormous force multiplier.