Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Make a new thread. I don't play this game enough to justify it but the OP is never coming back

Yeah, looks like he hasn't posted in here in a solid month.

I could throw together a new OP tonight after work with the information and links to both servers, the various discords, and a bunch of commonly asked questions and other info pulled from the discord. I'm not super active in game right now but I give enough of a poo poo to at least keep the OP up to date.

With the rate of how things are progressing and changing, we definitely need an OP that is kept up to date.

Let me know if anyone objects or someone else really really wants to do it, otherwise it'll be up in around 10-12 hours?

e: hey while I'm gone if people have good and/or funny names for the new thread throw them at me

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Been thinking of jumping in on this because i've been having that mmo itch that needs scratching, so a new OP with anything extra a new player needs to know would be swell

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

e: hey while I'm gone if people have good and/or funny names for the new thread throw them at me

City of Heroes: End Game

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There was something mentioned about "Praetoria was way overtuned because Paragon "Had forgotten how to make stuff for low-level characters"'. I kinda want more detail on that, though I can't find the quote in the posts now...

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bloodly posted:

There was something mentioned about "Praetoria was way overtuned because Paragon "Had forgotten how to make stuff for low-level characters"'. I kinda want more detail on that, though I can't find the quote in the posts now...

I've been spending way too much time this weekend doing all of the 1-20 Praetoria content and I can see this. Between already knowing how to play and turning all those story arc merits into a ludicrous amount of inf for a non-twinked lowbie to have, I've been able to solo all of it. The basic enemy types are mostly ok, averaging a bit stronger than enemies in oldest parts of the game at that level. There were a few holy poo poo parts though that would definitely create problems for people who aren't ready for them though.

A lot of missions send multiple ambushes in a row after you, with a few that have a large number of enemies that just keep coming. There's one where you have to deal with like 10 straight ghoul rushes (at least you get some NPC friends) and another with literally one hundred Destroyers laser focused on kicking your rear end (no NPC friends also none of them drop inspirations glhf if you have no self healing or AoEs). Several Praetorian boss types are also brutally strong even when downgraded to lieutenant via notoriety settings. The first time I met a downgraded Clockwork boss it permaheld and beat me to death in a couple of seconds.

The Vanessa DeVore boss fight was also extra hard but at least it had an interesting gimmick.

Speaking of Praetoria: why did they put Mother Mayhem in the Responsibility mission line? MM is gross and she has you do bad and gross things that have nothing to do with managing the city responsibly. Plus there isn't even an attempt to explain how working undercover for the Resistance interacts with her arc, just a "lol psych I'm actually with the Resistance" chat option at the end which somehow makes everything ok?

Most of the story has been fun if a bit janky in places but that part should definitely have been in the Power line.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bloodly posted:

As a lowbie you're proportionally weaker. Your powers are at base statistics and you have very little in the way of panic buttons, both in the powers tray and in terms of an insp reserve. If you stumble into a double pull or big stretch of +1s or both, it's tough to get out of it. Generally I run my lowbies at -1/x2 unless they're single-target gods.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I sort of see it: I've been running at +1 level and it's odd, because things are spawning at +2 or more.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Bloodly posted:

The Praetorian enemy factions are to the launch enemies as the later powersets are to the launch sets. Better, more interesting design, more well rounded, fewer one trick ponies. . .

This does cause a problem for newbie characters with few powers, limited slotting, and DOs at best.

Bloodly posted:

I sort of see it: I've been running at +1 level and it's odd, because things are spawning at +2 or more.

Things can spawn at +1 to the mission level. This is why running -1/x8 is often the fastest solo xp, because you never end up with things above your level (and the concomitant accuracy problems.)

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 28, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other issue with Praetorian mobs is that they had a tendency to break a lot of design rules. One of the ones that specifically got toned down were the Syndicate dual blades bosses. They have a ranged attack for no good reason, but in its original state it was as powerful as any boss' strongest melee attack. So regularly you would see characters aggro up on a Syndicate mob only to get sword shockwaved and blown the gently caress up instantly, even if they were nowhere near the the dude with two big fuckoff swords. In general it felt like groups that dealt lethal damage were dealing 10-15% more damage than they should've been.

Seers being everywhere (followed by Awakened later) meant that defensive sets with psychic holes (ie, most of them) were a bit boned. Similarly, there was a lot of energy damage getting tossed around. There were also a hell of a lot more crippling debuffs mobs could throw on you. PPD had their capture net thing, almost every single Clockwork energy attack had -Regen on it*, there were a lot more exotic mez effects floating around like fear, confuse, and taunt, and if something didn't have that there was always the old standby of -DEF* or constant knockback. Generally if an attack could have an additional debuff for funsies, it would.

That said, some of their reputation seemed like it was overblown, in so much that I feel like if you asked a group of people what was their absolute least favorite group to fight you'd get totally different answers from each. (For example, I think Ghouls can be annoying when spammed, but they're otherwise pretty unthreatening and their weird tantrum heal thing is a cool mechanic. Meanwhile, a friend of mine loving haaaaates them and thinks they're the worst of the bunch.) Of course, as said, Praetoria is also the land of endless ambushes and any enemy group loving sucks when the game has decided to dump 20 of them on your head at once.

*One of the biggest fundamental design flaws that kept coming up again and again was slapping generic -DEF onto every single gun attack and more. Removed totally from context giving a basic minion the ability to inflict -5% DEF on their one attack doesn't sound too bad. Until you realize that because it's all they have beyond Brawl they'll be spamming it non-stop and you don't ever fight a single minion at a time. This isn't something that only affects defense-based sets because getting hit more often sucks, period, and doubly so when you're sub-20 and don't have your full compliment of defensive powers if any at all. Clockworks' -Regen is the same thing, and you could consider it a pervasive and imperceptible form of damage that isn't easily resisted.

Gynovore posted:

She was a massive know-it-all on the forums, telling everyone exactly how they ought to play. She had over twenty thousand forum posts, but at least half were a single emoticon. When playing, she had to be the leader of every team, and told each and every person exactly what to do. And she played essentially the same character over and over and over, an MA/reflex scrap.

When the game closed, she briefly joined with Nate's team to make the spiritual successor, but quickly left due to 'creative differences' (i.e. they refused to follow her every whim). She started to make her own game, Heroes and Villains. For the next six years, Heroes and Villains has given us a friday update each and every week, telling us how wonderfully the game is coming along and all the amazing features it will have. Other than two 'demos' that were not at all made in Poser, that's all we've seen of this mystical game. The site's forum is totally deserted.

The thing about Golden Girl is that she was unerringly, pathologically aligned with the devs no matter what. So amid arguments about whatever the hot button topic of the day was she would swoop in and flatly insist that, actually, the devs know exactly what they're doing and everything will work out just fine in the end, just you wait. ;) This included implying she had some kind of secret foreknowledge of future developments, which was false. In general, she would always attempt to get the last word (or smiley) in.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I forgot how much I enjoyed base building. The FX options let you do some interesting stuff

:eyepop: This owns!!!!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Here’s a fun poll for my own curiosity. what do you folks do for alternate costumes? Do you do any/many, and do you do it with a purpose?

I haven’t spent much time coming up with secondary outfits since the revival, but I’ve liked the idea of creating some for key alts to represent e.g. different eras of a character (golden age comics, ‘MCU style’ etc.), or to engage with missions with a specific vibe. E.g. this is a magic heavy storyline, gonna chuck on my magic-variant outfit.

Along with pretty much all the other answers already given, a running theme with my main characters is that they would accrue additional costumes that were cosplay outfits. My Devil character had a sick Sparda look...that I pretty much never actually wore, 'cause he was srs bsns. Oh well.

The one big use I had for the extra slots are the couple of characters of mine that were actually multiple characters. Perfect example being I have a wild gang of kids that run around the Rogue Isles messing stuff up (they were raised by Westin Phipps) and each costume is a different kid. Works best with weapon sets where you can distinguish each identity with a new weapon selection, though I think I made both of my characters with that gimmick pre-power customization so that was also the only choice at the time.

Cabbit posted:

Next question: why does the LFG tool keep popping me into a party of one for task forces?

The LFG queue tries to make groups with the smallest size necessary in order to get people moving. Except TFs were changed to be soloable, so the smallest size is now 1.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 28, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

John Murdoch posted:

The LFG queue tries to make groups with the smallest size necessary in order to get people moving. Except TFs were changed to be soloable, so the smallest size is now 1.

:psyduck: There were like five bosses, an archvillain, and a veritable carpet of lieutenants and minions in that room. What AT can solo that, because I need to go roll one.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cabbit posted:

:psyduck: There were like five bosses, an archvillain, and a veritable carpet of lieutenants and minions in that room. What AT can solo that, because I need to go roll one.

Which TF was that anyway? And probably some decked-out Brute with all of its incarnate stuff.

It was a QoL thing added so that people with game-busting builds could solo endgame stuff like the ITF without needing to dual++++ box or bug other people to fill the group long enough to start the TF. There's also a few TFs that don't end with a big sloppy fight against an AV so being able to chip away at them by yourself is handy. There's probably some crazy person out there who's managed to solo each and every one but generally speaking most TFs aren't meant to be if only because of their level range.

Also, new characters time!

I've been sitting on this concept for a while, but it is rather timely, huh?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Cabbit posted:

I can't imagine that was all one pack, so you could have tried peeling the groups off one by one before tackling the AV. I'm sure there is an archetype/powerset/IO combo that can just walk in and carpet bomb a room like that, though, and someone will be along to talk about theirs shortly.

There's always some crazy bastard who goes 'Just killed hamidon with a sniper rifle lol' and then you get a million AR blasters flooding the streets.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I know this is trivial to some but having only one character at the moment, what's the fastest way to generate Inf currently? I feel like I'm constantly starved trying to just put basic enhancements in. I hate asking for farms and handouts.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Brutes/Scrappers historically had the easiest time soloing AVs. All you realistically need is enough survivability (usually a combination of regen and some mixture of defense/resistances) to outpace incoming DPS and you can eventually win.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Enhancements weren't really a thing that the game figured out properly until around the time invention origin enhancements were put in. You're better off just selling any basic, dual origin, and single-origin enhancements you have for the time being. It sucks, as it means that your powers are going to be unslotted for a fair bit while leveling but it's much better than the alternative.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of Praetoria: why did they put Mother Mayhem in the Responsibility mission line? MM is gross and she has you do bad and gross things that have nothing to do with managing the city responsibly. Plus there isn't even an attempt to explain how working undercover for the Resistance interacts with her arc, just a "lol psych I'm actually with the Resistance" chat option at the end which somehow makes everything ok?

Most of the story has been fun if a bit janky in places but that part should definitely have been in the Power line.

I dunno if it would have much impact in Power either though, by that point they've made it clear the praetors are mostly hosed up assholes actively harming the city and Tilman is way too unstable to assist in your social climbing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

John Murdoch posted:

I've been sitting on this concept for a while, but it is rather timely, huh?
\

I'm absolutely in love with the geometry on this one, although I'd recommend making the body-skin a different color than the armor for contrast purposes

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

John Murdoch posted:

Which TF was that anyway? And probably some decked-out Brute with all of its incarnate stuff.

That one on the battleships in Independence Port with the Praetorians. I was able to fly around and take down all the giant mechs and Sky Raider skiffs bosses with the ever heroic "hover at max range and rain death from above" maneuver, but that last room was way too much for me-- even one pack of dudes at the end beat the poo poo out of me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

I'm absolutely in love with the geometry on this one, although I'd recommend making the body-skin a different color than the armor for contrast purposes

The original look I had made was more plain and built around the body, which obviously carried forward after some tweaks. Considering the concept it is perfectly in-character for it to be so loud and busy and angry. :razzy: Under normal circumstances I would probably at least nudge the brightness down for contrast's sake but with how those parts have baked-in shading doing that tends to change the tone too much for my liking.

Cabbit posted:

That one on the battleships in Independence Port with the Praetorians. I was able to fly around and take down all the giant mechs and Sky Raider skiffs bosses with the ever heroic "hover at max range and rain death from above" maneuver, but that last room was way too much for me-- even one pack of dudes at the end beat the poo poo out of me.

Had a feeling it was that mission. That encounter is a pain in the rear end even with a team, and I think you even get dogpiled by ambushes on top of that. Fun fact: That's only mission 1 of 3. The second has two more AVs and the final has two separate fights against two AVs simultaneously that throw all kinds of poo poo at you. So even if you could manage to blow up that room and then focus on the AV you'd still have an uphill climb. :shepface:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
A new OP with good infos would get me to try this game. I don't remember poo poo about builds, abilities, synergies or those things you slot in powers and would just end up making something that completely sucked but looked badass so I didn't really care.

Kinda like when I played live.

Also yes, City of Heroes: Endgame

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

FooF posted:

I know this is trivial to some but having only one character at the moment, what's the fastest way to generate Inf currently? I feel like I'm constantly starved trying to just put basic enhancements in. I hate asking for farms and handouts.

Sell. Your. Salvage. That is the best way to do it. And if you have merits, but the thing that let's you convert and sell those.

Edit:

Sell it on the auction house I mean. /ah from any map that isn't an instance.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Givin posted:

A new OP with good infos would get me to try this game. I don't remember poo poo about builds, abilities, synergies or those things you slot in powers and would just end up making something that completely sucked but looked badass so I didn't really care.

Kinda like when I played live.

Also yes, City of Heroes: Endgame

if you want more info of that kind, go to Kuhulin's discord. otherwise just roll your face on the keyboard, anything is good enough to get started with

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
You actually might get more selling enhancement boosters, but really the best trick is to use those converters to turn piddly uncommon inventions into more expensive rare inventions. ~250k to take something from 1 million to 2+ million is always worth it. edit: Well, once you're starting to get enhancements and recipes over level 30 at least.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 28, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Tbh I kind of wish they'd seed enhancements the way they did salvage. Price ceiling of 2 mil/enhancement for yellow sets, 4 mil for oranges, 6 mil for purples or something like that.

Right now the economy is balanced around AE farmers and it's a bit absurd. Things like Brute ATOs are like 75-100 mil+ for a whole set and that's kind of nuts for City of Alts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

seeding 25/30 workbench IOs would be cool too, save me from having to memorize them myself

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What's the actual process for using the enhancement converters (other than market flipping them)? Craft a yellow recipe to get an uncommon enhancement, then just drag a converter onto it and pray?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

P2W Vendor should have an option to flag a character as having memorized a range of Common IOs. 1 Mil Inf for each bracket, and you get the Badge meaning those Recipies are memorized.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

What's the actual process for using the enhancement converters (other than market flipping them)? Craft a yellow recipe to get an uncommon enhancement, then just drag a converter onto it and pray?

In the enhancement tab, next to Manage is the Convert option as long as you have spare converters. You pop an enhancement in there and select the type of conversion you want: In-set costs 3 converters and converts within that set; the first out-of-set option costs 1 converter and converts within that rarity; the second out-of-set option costs 2 converters and converts within that category (ie Defense or Resist). You cannot get PvP or Rare versions of enhancements this way though.

So basically you craft the enhancement, pop it into convert, and use the second out-of-set option to convert to one of the other types. Post 30-40sh most categories tend to only have the one uncommon set and one or more rare sets. You pretty much can't not make extra money, and sometimes you get real lucky and convert to a specific enhancement people really want for even more money. You can also, obviously, use this to shave down some of your costs for expensive rare sets you want, like buying Lethargic Reposes to convert into Call of the Sandman for example. Works best the fewer possible alternatives it could change into.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 28, 2019

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I did exactly this with some level 20 copies of the one yellow Miracle recipe. All the rares sell for at least a million (reasonable, since it'd cost a millionish to get the salvage for it), so I was going to make a profit off of whatever I got. Then I got real stupid lucky: #2 and #3 both gave me procs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TGLT posted:

You actually might get more selling enhancement boosters, but really the best trick is to use those converters to turn piddly uncommon inventions into more expensive rare inventions. ~250k to take something from 1 million to 2+ million is always worth it. edit: Well, once you're starting to get enhancements and recipes over level 30 at least.

And you've got your converter bux, this is your reminder that you can just straight up buy attuned IO enhancements off the market. i25 changed it so that every listing for every enhancement level is combined, including attuned ones, so the prices are actually reasonable.

Having scaling enhancements and set bonuses on an alt is great. Having all those set bonuses scale down for any low level stuff I wanna do is even better.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

Yes a new OP with actual info about this dead game (esp the good posts about incarnate and the endgame poo poo) would be great.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Are you having money problems?

1. Save up 48,000 Inf, so that you can afford the listing price of what you're going to do in step 2.

2. By this point, you should have at least one piece of orange Very Rare salvage. Sell it on the auction house for 990,000(or whatever). It will sell in literally seconds! This is because the devs seeded the AH with tons of very rare salvage set at 1 million each, so we have reliable price fixing.

3. Buy whatever the gently caress you want from then on.

Tsurupettan posted:

Yeah, looks like he hasn't posted in here in a solid month.

I could throw together a new OP tonight after work with the information and links to both servers, the various discords, and a bunch of commonly asked questions and other info pulled from the discord. I'm not super active in game right now but I give enough of a poo poo to at least keep the OP up to date.

With the rate of how things are progressing and changing, we definitely need an OP that is kept up to date.

Let me know if anyone objects or someone else really really wants to do it, otherwise it'll be up in around 10-12 hours?

Make sure to mention the P2W vendors, and what people can get from them. Having all of the vet rewards makes those low levels so much easier.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I have yet to have orange salvage drop on any but one of the dudes I've taken to twenty, who somehow got two. Luckily transferring influence via the market is pretty low risk.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Going to start throwing a new OP together, should be up within an hour or two. It won't be super fancy yet but will have plenty of space to fill it in and add amusing pictures and such later.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cabbit posted:

I have yet to have orange salvage drop on any but one of the dudes I've taken to twenty, who somehow got two. Luckily transferring influence via the market is pretty low risk.
You can mail your chat handle inf at zero risk.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Or, you know, use the no-risk option by sending it to yourself via Global Email.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Complete literally any story arc, get at least three merits, turn those merits into enhancement converters, sell for 100,000 a pop. This is the quick and dirty way to have no money issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Cabbit posted:

What?

Just mail it to your global handle. Inf or salvage or whatever and pick it up on your alt.