Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
City of Heroes wasn't even that good!

(Past like level 20.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Orv posted:

(Past like level 20.)

I kind of liked the postgame since it was generally really easy so you could just pug it and not deal with needing a reliable raid group.

But yeah, I spent most of my time creating characters and playing just long enough to get an idea for a new char.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I loved eveything about CoH at pretty much all levels, it remains to this day my favorite MMO.

I'm still not even a fraction as mad as a lot of these people seem to be.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
All you brigade trolls can gently caress off, CoX was my all-time favorite video game. This news has me pretty loving pissed off. Leo's a total piece of poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Get over it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I played the game from like may 2004 until it shut down and it was legit my favorite MMO.

Sorry I can't get mad about video games :shrug: Annoyed about this whole thing? Absolutely. I think it's a lovely situation. But actually, truly mad? No.

EDIT: I don't know if it was my favorite video game of all time, but I'm hard-pressed to think of one I liked more

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 17, 2019

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Brave New World posted:

All you brigade trolls can gently caress off, CoX was my all-time favorite video game. This news has me pretty loving pissed off. Leo's a total piece of poo poo.

Okay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol at being mad at cox in 2019

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/heyCPH/status/1118304653257662464

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
What a bunch of assholes just upload the files.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

FrostyPox posted:

What I don't understand is why they didn't leak the code to allow someone else to bear that burden. Perhaps there's some weight to the theory that if the code was leaked it could be traced back to one of the devs and get them in a shitload of trouble.

I'm actually getting a little concerned about this. I remember some of the devs who were active on the forums (Matt Miller ( "Positron") and Christopher Bruce ("Back Alley Brawler") come to mind), they seemed like decent folks. BABs' animations towards the end of the game were actually slick enough that it really kicked off a love of animation in me and made me pursue college classes in game art and design. It would seriously suck if their fingerprints are on the server files and they get hosed over if this is traced back to them.

I wanna play the videogame but Jesus, I don't want people to get HURT over the videogame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The people who have the source code, I hope they never release it and never let anyone else in. That said, if it happens I hope we can have an SA only server.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The people who have the source code, I hope they never release it and never let anyone else in. That said, if it happens I hope we can have an SA only server.

:same:

On the one hand, I'd love to have the game back, on the other hand, gently caress the CoH "community" in general

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orv posted:

(Past like level 20.)

Some of the most fun I ever had in an MMO was running the Viridian strike force with a bunch of randos (most of whom had never even heard of it), watching as they mark out over the giant all super villains brawl, and then walking into the last mission with sliders maxed out and there's like one Longbow for every square foot of the entire warehouse and it's just total chaos the entire way through.

I'm pretty sure though that out of all hundreds (probably a couple thousand) hours I played the game, most of it was spent goofing around with low level concept builds based around dumb costume ideas.

I'm probably a little bit salty that the server files have been out there and running all this time and hardly anybody knew, but mostly it leaves me with a tiny spark of hope that the source code will get leaked and more private servers will start to spring up.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Crasical posted:

I wanna play the videogame but Jesus, I don't want people to get HURT over the videogame.

I would be okay with NCSOFT suing him into bankruptcy instead. Every penny he made from donations or server fundraisers x100, plus some jail time.

He could have mailed any number of people a copy of the server files anonymously and kept his personal private server safe from prying eyes just the same. But instead he went full power trip. gently caress him.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

It's amazing to me that in one moment someone can realize a thing exists, and then immediately go bananas that they don't have the ability to be a part of said thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just release the character creator part idc about anything else

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If I could I'd stream myself deleting the source code while wearing one of those fake president rubber masks and giving a thumbs up to the camera.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Looooool

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Maxwellsdemon posted:

What a bunch of assholes just upload the files.

This

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Just today, the cathedral of Notre Dame burned," Richilieu wrote. "We lost close to a millennium of cultural history, art, architecture. It's a tragedy that should never happen - a tragedy that wouldn't happen if we were able to freely copy and distribute Notre Dame cathedrals as easily as code.

"Please do not let City of Heroes become another Notre Dame."

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6zEhLQcro

I miss CoH :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Just think, we could have been wasting our lives in this game for years, years we'll never have back.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
A friend and I were just talking a few days ago how we have stronger memories of CoX than any other MMO we'd played together. Probably a lot of rose colored glass in that assessment but there it is.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Conskill posted:

A friend and I were just talking a few days ago how we have stronger memories of CoX than any other MMO we'd played together. Probably a lot of rose colored glass in that assessment but there it is.

Yeah, it's a good distance back to profoundly lie to yourself about the experience.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Man, leveling to the point where you could look at a huge group of yellows and oranges and think "Pfft, I got this" was the best thing about this game. Even better when they're giant exploding spider robots.

I enjoy farting around on Paragon Chat occasionally. Just hearing the ambient street sounds is soothing in its way. But I do really miss killing the giant spider robots.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope someone, anyone involved with the project throws everything on GitHub. I would love to super jump around like a maniac and conjure dumpsters to hurl at my enemies again

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

That seems unlikely. Granted, others may be following this more closely, but my interpretation is that the guy in charge is a colossal rear end in a top hat as well an egomaniac, so it is entirely possible that literally no one besides him actually has the code. Some people also claim that the amount of money that he received is way more than would be needed actually host the server, so this could also be an instance of him just being a thief as well.

It would be great if someone, anyone actually leaked it, but that seems unlikely.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Null1fy posted:

It's amazing to me that in one moment someone can realize a thing exists, and then immediately go bananas that they don't have the ability to be a part of said thing.

lol its just the illuminati dude grow up.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

(Past like level 20.)

He's right, drat him.

I think the emotional attachment created by the character creator really gets some people invested in the game, which covers up for the game being really bad and boring mechanically. It was probably the last hard R mmorpg

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I dunno, man, I loved having some of the higher-end powers and melting the poo poo out of huge groups of enemies at higher levels, and I legit enjoyed the level 50 task forces and the later Incarnate raids. I get why some people didn't like it, and I will totally concede that the main part of the game's longevity with me was the solid group I played with, but I definitely liked the gameplay. I've had solid groups in other games and quit anyway because the game sucked booty (SWG springs to mind).

EDIT: I do recognize that it was different from how other games were and that it didn't appeal to everyone; it was for sure super-casual and you could do pretty much any content with any group composition.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What was the reason for NCSoft shutting down City of Heroes anyways? I keep seeing people claim tens of thousands of people loved this game up until the end, but if that many people were playing CoH at that point, I would think NCSoft would not shut the game down?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

What was the reason for NCSoft shutting down City of Heroes anyways? I keep seeing people claim tens of thousands of people loved this game up until the end, but if that many people were playing CoH at that point, I would think NCSoft would not shut the game down?

it was merely profitable

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I don't think any solid reason has been given. I've heard that the switch to f2p didn't bring in the numbers they want so they jumped the gun, I've heard the population was in decline so they cut their losses, i heard other games were in decline so they cut CoH to appease shareholders, i even read some insane story that NCSoft's NA operations were the darling of the CEO's wife, and the CEO's brother hated her and did... Something? To convince them to shut down CoH and sabatoge Wildstar (which is perhaps the most absurd theory I've heard), or that Paragon Studios did something to piss NCSoft off (failed to deliver a CoH sequel or used funds to start an unapproved project).

:iiam:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

He's right, drat him.

I think the emotional attachment created by the character creator really gets some people invested in the game, which covers up for the game being really bad and boring mechanically. It was probably the last hard R mmorpg

In some cases this is probably true, but I don't think there's been a "pet class" in MMORPGs that was as good as the Mastermind. And travelling once you got travel powers has similarly yet to be surpassed.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 17, 2019

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Guild wars 2 is probably an equal as far as travel powers go. Shame about the rest of the game, though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

I said come in! posted:

Unknown. One story on the grapevine (via a youtube comment from a dev at Carbine, surely the most trustworthy of sources) is that Paragon were taking the money NCSoft were paying them to develop City of X and sequels and siphoning most of it off to other projects. NCSoft found out and decided that a studio where all of upper management systematically lied to them wasn't a studio they particularly wanted. Paragon devs have disputed that and said while they made a number of sequel pitches, NCSoft were in fact unhappy with all of them and rejected them all.

In either case: NCSoft, for whatever reason, lost trust in Paragon's ability to deliver a successful follow-up game. CoX was never huge and the declining profit wasn't enough to justify the effort of managing an entire overseas subsidiary.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
crying about people making death threats/abusive comments on you is such a sympathy baiting move

anyone who has any presence online gets that kind of attention

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Traditionally F2P MMOs are supported through the in game shop, but no one gave a poo poo about it. Cosmetic options are pretty weak when like 96% of the costume options are already free, and everyone's more impressed by a costume that does something creative and cool than a boxer who used the premium boxing gloves. Equipment in CoX was pretty invisible--if you shelled out for 50 hami-O upgrades, no one would look at you and say, drat, he has a lot of sick upgrades. Also you could get upgrades as good or better purchasing them through the black market in game, which gave you something to do with the money you earned in game--largely worthless money, because again, there's not much to spend it on.

You COULD buy new power sets, but there weren't many of them, and how many unique power sets would you need? Each character you wanted to make using them would mean starting over a whole new character. Replace a monthly subscription with a premium cash shop, and there's got to be something for whales to buy all of, but there wasn't anything fun to have.

In the end, popular or not, it just wasn't taking in much money, but WAS a distraction from their other MMOs, MMOs which had things for players to buy in the cash shops.

I still think they could have raised the limit to 1 meg to like 50 for a single custom adventure and let people buy those, so they can make big dumb fanfiction stories. I'd shell out five bucks every two weeks to build huge, stupid stories that my super group would then have to play through. But no one was listening to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if the death threat sender is Golden_Girl, I recall that person posting some stuff on the forums in the wake of the shutdown news that made me wonder if someone might have to call the FBI