Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

crying about people making death threats/abusive comments on you is such a sympathy baiting move

anyone who has any presence online gets that kind of attention

ur ded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I wonder if the death threat sender is Golden_Girl, I recall that person posting some stuff on the forums in the wake of the shutdown news that made me wonder if someone might have to call the FBI

To Golden_Girl I say "thank you for being a friend."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nobody should threaten the guy but he is also a piece of poo poo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Good Lord, I don't know if I would play CoH again but I sure as hell would waste my life on a sequel.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Traditionally F2P MMOs are supported through the in game shop, but no one gave a poo poo about it. Cosmetic options are pretty weak when like 96% of the costume options are already free, and everyone's more impressed by a costume that does something creative and cool than a boxer who used the premium boxing gloves. Equipment in CoX was pretty invisible--if you shelled out for 50 hami-O upgrades, no one would look at you and say, drat, he has a lot of sick upgrades. Also you could get upgrades as good or better purchasing them through the black market in game, which gave you something to do with the money you earned in game--largely worthless money, because again, there's not much to spend it on.

You COULD buy new power sets, but there weren't many of them, and how many unique power sets would you need? Each character you wanted to make using them would mean starting over a whole new character. Replace a monthly subscription with a premium cash shop, and there's got to be something for whales to buy all of, but there wasn't anything fun to have.

In the end, popular or not, it just wasn't taking in much money, but WAS a distraction from their other MMOs, MMOs which had things for players to buy in the cash shops.

I still think they could have raised the limit to 1 meg to like 50 for a single custom adventure and let people buy those, so they can make big dumb fanfiction stories. I'd shell out five bucks every two weeks to build huge, stupid stories that my super group would then have to play through. But no one was listening to me.

Slight inaccuracy here. In the last few years of the game, they did release a number of costume packs(some of which were really good). So realistically, let's say about 65-75% of the good costume options were free. Don't forget just how important that poo poo is to a game like this. Paying for costumes in a game like WoW is the most irrelevant thing imaginable, but a Super Hero MMO necessitates it as a major factor as to why people even bother to play the game in the first place.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

crying about people making death threats/abusive comments on you is such a sympathy baiting move

anyone who has any presence online gets that kind of attention

Lmao how do you post something that makes you look worse than the CoH Facebook survivors group

C’mon man

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Lmao how do you post something that makes you look worse than the CoH Facebook survivors group

C’mon man

I think a lot of of us are just completely desensitized to empty internet threats. They shouldn't be ignored but potentially 20+ years of "I will rape and murder you and your family" sort of rings hollow. Even one guy sending me a Google maps of my home doesn't make me flinch anymore (take an actual photo in person you bitch). 99% of the time they aren't even within 1000 miles of you let alone the same country.

Then again calling in a fake 911 call to get someone swatted and potentially murdered is a very real thing in the US at least.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if they want to have a no girls allowed club that's fine, but why not release the source code so the unwashed masses can play the dang game?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

C’mon man

disclaimer: in case you needed the clarification i don't think death threats are good or cool

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Blast of Confetti posted:

if they want to have a no girls allowed club that's fine, but why not release the source code so the unwashed masses can play the dang game?

If they do have character data, the data might be traceable to the employee who took it.

There are a lot of assumptions being made about what exactly happened and how it happened because people want to be mad at this guy, but unless they give the story we might never know.

The only thing we know for sure is that people are very angry on the internet, and that’s always entertaining.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C’mon man
A cool villain is giving you a choice: You can pick only one out of the seven artefacts below, and doing so will have no consequences for you whatsoever:

The Sword of Stabbing Leandro: An imposing-looking sword with the ability to wound Leandro infinite times and only kill him when you desire it. Nobody who ever sees you hit Leandro with this sword will say anything, nor will you ever face any consequences for torturing and killing him

The Morgernstern of Menacing Leandro: Though this flail weighs seven tons, you can swing it as freely as it was a yo-yo. If you hit anything other than Leandro with it, nothing will happen, but if you hit Leandro with his, every bone in his body will instantly burst into fine powder. Epic.

The Pike of Piercing Leandro: A weapon resembling a winged spear, meant to be shoved in Leandro's rear end in a top hat, impaling him. Though it will cause Leandro excruciating pain, it will never kill him - you will have to finish him off however you please. Again, no adverse consequences will come to you if you decide to inflict so much pain on Leandro that his nerve endings actually burn away.

The Rifle for Wrecking Leandro: Forged in the fires of Hell by Hephaestus, this all-purpose firearm actually serves only one purpose: to pump Leandro's gay pedophile body with an infinite amount of adamantium bullets. Watch his body twitch like a puppet as hundreds upon hundreds of rounds pass through him like needles through silk fabric.

The Flamethrower of Flambeeing Leandro: It is said that burning alive is the most painful death, and this weapon was engineered with this single thought in mind. The magical flames will only hurt Leandro and destroy his stupid Argentinian yurt. Upon being hosed down with fire, Leandro will suffer grievous burns all over his body and will be transported into a special "Hell ICU" where he will have Drano pumped into his veins. The cost of keeping Leandro in the Hell ICU will be $50 a day. As soon as you miss a payment, he will be euthanized by slicing him into 1mm slices starting from the feet.

The Bridge Bolt of Brutalizing Leandro: An enchanted bridge bolt tied to a length of fabric. As long as the fabric is tied to your wrist, the bolt will feel like it weighs nothing, and wherever you throw it, the fabric will extend and the bolt will seek Leandro out like a globe-spanning seeker missile to strike him in his empty loving head. Everyone IRL can see Leandro get hit, but they won't see the bolt. Try attaching a GoPro to the bolt for extra laffs.

The Banhammer of Banning Leandro: Actually a computer program. A single executable file that, when run, will activate the nanomachines laying dormant in Leandro's bloodstream. These nanomachines will render Leandro blind, deaf, mute, paralyzed, and bereft of any sense of touch, internal or external. He will then be transported to the Hell ICU and his body will be kept in optimal conditions, so that his retarded self will stew forever in the most hellish consciousness imaginable - a mental prison designed for the most awful human being currently alive.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 18, 2019

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

A cool villain is giving you a choice: You can pick only one out of the seven artefacts below, and doing so will have no consequences for you whatsoever:

The Sword of Stabbing Leandro: An imposing-looking sword with the ability to wound Leandro infinite times and only kill him when you desire it. Nobody who ever sees you hit Leandro with this sword will say anything, nor will you ever face any consequences for torturing and killing him

The Morgernstern of Menacing Leandro: Though this flail weighs seven tons, you can swing it as freely as it was a yo-yo. If you hit anything other than Leandro with it, nothing will happen, but if you hit Leandro with his, every bone in his body will instantly burst into fine powder. Epic.

The Pike of Piercing Leandro: A weapon resembling a winged spear, meant to be shoved in Leandro's rear end in a top hat, impaling him. Though it will cause Leandro excruciating pain, it will never kill him - you will have to finish him off however you please. Again, no adverse consequences will come to you if you decide to inflict so much pain on Leandro that his nerve endings actually burn away.

The Rifle for Wrecking Leandro: Forged in the fires of Hell by Hephaestus, this all-purpose firearm actually serves only one purpose: to pump Leandro's gay pedophile body with an infinite amount of adamantium bullets. Watch his body twitch like a puppet as hundreds upon hundreds of rounds pass through him like needles through silk fabric.

The Flamethrower of Flambeeing Leandro: It is said that burning alive is the most painful death, and this weapon was engineered with this single thought in mind. The magical flames will only hurt Leandro and destroy his stupid Argentinian yurt. Upon being hosed down with fire, Leandro will suffer grievous burns all over his body and will be transported into a special "Hell ICU" where he will have Drano pumped into his veins. The cost of keeping Leandro in the Hell ICU will be $50 a day. As soon as you miss a payment, he will be euthanized by slicing him into 1mm slices starting from the feet.

The Bridge Bolt of Brutalizing Leandro: An enchanted bridge bolt tied to a length of fabric. As long as the fabric is tied to your wrist, the bolt will feel like it weighs nothing, and wherever you throw it, the fabric will extend and the bolt will seek Leandro out like a globe-spanning seeker missile to strike him in his empty loving head. Everyone IRL can see Leandro get hit, but they won't see the bolt. Try attaching a GoPro to the bolt for extra laffs.

The Banhammer of Banning Leandro: Actually a computer program. A single executable file that, when run, will activate the nanomachines laying dormant in Leandro's bloodstream. These nanomachines will render Leandro blind, deaf, mute, paralyzed, and bereft of any sense of touch, internal or external. He will then be transported to the Hell ICU and his body will be kept in optimal conditions, so that his retarded self will stew forever in the most hellish consciousness imaginable - a mental prison designed for the most awful human being currently alive.

:chloe:

Free Headcrab
Jan 3, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is it actually gonna happen?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blast of Confetti posted:

The guy who made the secret cabal for secret playing of city of heroes is a reddit Forums Moderator which means he is predisposed to building a tiny fiefdom of absolute control wherein only those who pledge absolute loyalty to dear leader may be allowed to remain unharassed. Nobody would put up with his insane poo poo if there was any other option, which Leandro is aware of, which is why he has been actively sabotaging other emulation projects for 6 years.

In this case, his means for doing so was to have everyone who played on the server (henceforth referred to as "sycophant") divulge their personal information to him (name, address, etc) and the personal information of anyone those sycophants recommended to receive access. Active, obedient sycophants are given more opportunities for recommendations which both increases the size of the fiefdom and reinforces leandro's hold over the sycophant. This way, if someone thinks about going against the secret cabal, Leandro is able to expose not only the whistleblower but also their friends and family.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 18, 2019

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
What makes CoX so much better than Champions Online that people tend to ignore it? I thought the latter had even more powerful character customization, and you could stand around in a hub awkwardly chatting with each other just as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Champions Online in it's current state hasn't been updated in years and most of the powers are locked away behind paywalls.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Champions Online, since day one, has felt like a low-budget City of Heroes knock-off, to me. I have a hard time describing what I don't like about it compared to City of Heroes in words, but I think the best I can do is that the setting isn't nearly as interesting, the combat is more button mashy and lacks weight, it has a tiny fraction of the content, there's almost no content that requires a group, group composition never really seemed to matter, most of the power sets feel rather same-y, but the ultimate thing is that I think it got, like five real content updates and then hasn't had any new zones or missions or instances or anything in, like, seven years.

When I gave the game a serious try, I got to the level cap and literally ran out of things to do in a week, and that was while I was in college so it's not like I was playing for 12 hours a day. I did literally every mission in every zone, every adventure pack, maxed out my gear, I even did every group instance which was like pulling teeth because it seems like the Champions Online community despises any content which is even remotely challenging (and oh my god, talking to these people was loving ridiculous; Anyone want to do any lairs? "No, they're hard and they don't give out any reward". Well that's silly, they should give decent rewards because they're hard. "No, I don't want to have to do lairs to get good rewards". I talked to several people and they all gave that circular reasoning and it drove me mad).

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 18, 2019

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DC universe online is even worse. It's bad all the way down.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

In this case, his means for doing so was to have everyone who played on the server (henceforth referred to as "sycophant") divulge their personal information to him (name, address, etc) and the personal information of anyone those sycophants recommended to receive access. Active, obedient sycophants are given more opportunities for recommendations which both increases the size of the fiefdom and reinforces leandro's hold over the sycophant. This way, if someone thinks about going against the secret cabal, Leandro is able to expose not only the whistleblower but also their friends and family.

What the gently caress rofl. Almost seems like this dude was running a cult not a private server.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

DC universe online is even worse. It's bad all the way down.

I actually liked DCUO's group dynamics far, far more than Champion's, DCUO has more content and is still getting new missions and instances and stuff. DCUO is definitely not good, but put a gun to my head and make me chose between CO and DCUO, I'd pick DCUO, though the though of eating a bullet instead might briefly cross my mind.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It may just be more blowing smoke, but apparently Leandro and TonyV (from Titan) and Bree (from Massively OP) and a bunch of other people from the CoH/SEGS community all talked on discord yesterday and prospects of getting the code into the wild are potentially improving:

(from here)

reddit posted:

I don't have all the details, since I wasn't around for the entire conversation, but via voice chat Leandro has been communicating with the SEGS people. It also appears that another person has popped up who also possesses the server code, and conversations are happening.

I'm sorry this initial post is kind of useless, but I did want to make sure people start finding out that positive progress is being made. Please post if you know more about what occurred! I'm going through the backlog of messages trying to get up to date and will add more info as I get it.

Edit 1: It seems as though Bree from MassivelyOP had at least a small role in establishing civil talks between Leandro and the community. Thank you, Bree.

Edit 2: Leandro has said that he wants to release the code, but first he will need to make sure that the code doesn't contain anything that could be used to identify the person who gave him the code to begin with.

Edit 3: The plan is to release the code, but be careful about it in order to avoid as much trouble as possible.

Edit 4: Apparently there is someone who has been repeatedly asking Leandro (over the past few years) not to release the code, because he's been trying to acquire the game license or something. A guy from the UK with the handle Simburgur. He came out of the woodwork again tonight to ask Leandro not to release the code, but Leandro sounds like he's had enough of him.

Edit 5: Leandro is saying that one big reason he's reaching out now is because he's worried about the people who played on his server. He himself has received threats, and one or two of the people who played on the SCORE server have started to receive some threats, and he doesn't want any more of that. So, I want to ask everyone - as just some random guy who wants CoH back - to please avoid that sort of behavior. Don't threaten, don't stalk.

Edit 6: Apparently the SCORE server is kind of a frankenstein's monster of a server. The code is old, complex, and requires a lot of horsepower. It doesn't sound like a WoW private server that can run in the background while you play The Division 2 at 4K on your living room gaming machine. Multiple computers were necessary for Leandro to run the server.

Edit 7: Leandro has left to get some sleep so I think for now, there's no more super important talk happening.

Quick personal note - Some people may have chosen to forgive Leandro completely after tonight. Others are convinced that it's all just more deception. Everyone is free to their own opinion. I'm just providing a summary of what was discussed.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just checked and in the decade or so since I played Champions, it looks like they have added:
1 Lair
A game mode called Onslaught

and that's it :laffo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kumba posted:

It may just be more blowing smoke, but apparently Leandro and TonyV (from Titan) and Bree (from Massively OP) and a bunch of other people from the CoH/SEGS community all talked on discord yesterday and prospects of getting the code into the wild are potentially improving:

(from here)

Need a private goon server, please release the code. :homebrew:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

kumba posted:

(from here)

:do it:

I want to play CoH again. Would be dope if there's a way to play offline/LAN mode too.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kumba posted:

(from here)

I mean going from "there is no server. what server?" to "yeah we're totally in talks about it haha yeah we even called ncsoft rofl i cant believe we're still getting away with this" is an improvement, i think.

I think right now the most recent lie was "we're just making sure the game we received as a finished product 6 years ago and have been playing secretly the whole time is feature complete before the big release"

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 18, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

reddit posted:

I am just relaying this information as I understand it as of this moment.

Leandro just started transferring the code to a trusted party on the SEGS Discord (this user is NOT on the SEGS dev team though, for obvious reasons). It will be scrubbed of any trace to the original leaker before any public release, but things are on their way. This is big news.

Edit: Just reconfirmed by Leandro.

Edit 2: 39% transferred. 2019/04/18 2:17 p.m. UTC

Edit 3: 95% transferred. 2019/04/18 2:39 p.m. UTC (Correction, must have been 75%?)

Edit 4: Transfer complete. 2019/04/18 2:54 p.m. UTC

This... smells awfully fishy to me but we'll see

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kumba posted:

This... smells awfully fishy to me but we'll see

Interwebs 39% transferred. Standby.

Yeah I'm dubious af.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

FrostyPox posted:

I just checked and in the decade or so since I played Champions, it looks like they have added:
1 Lair
A game mode called Onslaught

and that's it :laffo:

You have to count Star Trek Online and Neverwinter as additional content because they are all basically the same game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baller Time posted:

You have to count Star Trek Online and Neverwinter as additional content because they are all basically the same game

Of those games, only Neverwinter is even passable for being fun. Anywho, the source code just now all of a sudden being uploaded to someone else to distribute else where? And of course it's being done in secret. I guess only time will tell, but i'm not holding my breath.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Because of the cross-game chat feature, a lot of people think that Champions Online will stay alive as long as both STO and Neverwinter are both financially viable for Cryptic. It's all but in maintenance mode, so it probably pays for itself and then some.

Leandro has been gaslighting and lying his rear end off for 6 loving years. Why would anyone be gullible enough to think that:
1) He actually received any death threats in the first place
2) Anyone would fly all the way to Buenos Aires to kill his stupid rear end over a dead video game

"I was for real going to release it really soon but then somebody threatened me! no game for you!!!"

It's just more bullshit.

Does anyone know anything about private servers for other NCsoft games like Aion, Lineage 1 & 2? Because if those exist then the hyperventilating some many CoXers have always done over NCsoft pulling a C&D on a CoX server is clearly bullshit. I've played on 5 different WoW servers, and I always found it really suspicious that all these supposedly tech-savvy people at Titan Network didn't seem to get that private servers are an ubiquitous thing.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

quote:

Does anyone know anything about private servers for other NCsoft games like Aion, Lineage 1 & 2? Because if those exist then the hyperventilating some many CoXers have always done over NCsoft pulling a C&D on a CoX server is clearly bullshit

L2 private servers are as old as L2 itself. I should know, I used to play on L2 private servers when I was a teen lol. And these servers were loving massive btw. It wasn't just a couple of hundred people playing them. Aion also has a bunch of private servers readily available.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Champions Online, since day one, has felt like a low-budget City of Heroes knock-off, to me.

Hilariously, City of Heroes is actually the first knockoff: the broad strokes of its setting are taken almost note-for-note from the original Champions TTRPG. The apocryphal story I've heard is that Paragon was originally trying to secure the Champions license (since all of the original devs were huge fans of it), and when that fell through, they cribbed its archetypical elements to create their own unique setting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Private servers for Aion, and lineage 1 & 2 have existed for a decade plus. NCSoft doesn't care. The only time they took notice was over Tabula Rasa because the fate of that IP went to court when it became clear that Richard Garriot was ripping NCSoft off and scamming them.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Vermain posted:

Hilariously, City of Heroes is actually the first knockoff: the broad strokes of its setting are taken almost note-for-note from the original Champions TTRPG. The apocryphal story I've heard is that Paragon was originally trying to secure the Champions license (since all of the original devs were huge fans of it), and when that fell through, they cribbed its archetypical elements to create their own unique setting.

Yeah, I realize that. It's kinda funny that CoH was a better Champions Online than the actual Champions Online.

Like the Shadow Shard is Qliphtoth, there's that Asian gang in CO that was clearly the inspiration for.... gently caress, who were the dudes with the magic tattoos? The Tsoo? That Voodoo Group was the inspiration for The Banished Pantheon, etc, etc, etc. I assume those are all from the tabletop game, anyway, I've never played Champions PnP

More on topic:
I'll believe in an accessible private server when I see one, this Leandro guy is clearly not exactly an honest sort. I absolutely do believe he got death threats, though, because the City of Heroes community has some legitimately disturbed people in it (I mean, I have to assume they're disturbed with the kind of poo poo I've seen posted in the Facebook group from time to time. Obsessing over your hatred for NCSoft for seven loving years cannot be good for your mental health). This is true of any MMO community, though. I think it's just the CoH community is the one I've observed the most.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 18, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Technical specs: (from here)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just by how people have acted in this thread I'd believe leandro got death threats and thats pretty lovely and lame

im glad he is seemingly going to be giving up the code to be scrubbed of anything that could identify the employee who leaked it

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
I won't believe it until I got the character creator in front of me, but I still got hope hearing all this recent news.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that's like, two top end laptops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Bold Kobold posted:

I won't believe it until I got the character creator in front of me, but I still got hope hearing all this recent news.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon :P