Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I always though that the sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald, the boat in the ballad sung by Gordon Lightfoot, took place in the late 1800's, early 1900's.

But no, it happened in 1975. Blows my mind, radio communication and early satellite weather were both available by that time, and ship like that was still lost at sea.

Fake edit: Sorry for the old thread revival, but I really am amazed by this fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can have all the communication and navigation equipment you want but if you get caught in bad enough conditions you're going down. The sea hates you and wants you to die. Which is why it must always be respected and appeased.
True. I had a co-worker who was in the 2011 Chicago to Mackinac Island race on nearby Lake Michigan, and they got caught up in a very sudden and intense storm. He described it as the most terrifying thing he has even experienced. The just let the boat run and hoped it would not break up or de-mast. I know he posted some footage on Youtube, it was frighteneing. Several boats were not so lucky, and there were two fatalities. In this storm, everyone saw it on radar, it just formed so quick and so strong that there was nothing many people could do to avoid it.

The Great Lakes can but brutal.