Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yay my poison is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rupert brought down by his elephant ego. :smug:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Rupert is as terrible as his sinking beach shack. I really like Tyler and Corey and was worried they were going to get eliminated. They're fun and make the same gay comments my friends and I probably would.

The Afghanimals seem like they're going to win the season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

maybe unpopular opinion based on the posts in thread but I really enjoy the Afghanimals

Tyler and Corey are definitely still my pony though and it was awesome to see them blow through that u-turn

I'm not sure there are any teams remaining that I don't like but I also don't know a lot of them so maybe that opinion will change.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

I'm really liking the season so far, but Tyler and Korey continue to annoy me in that special "too boring for me to root for but too competent to get eliminated" way. At this point I consider them a lock for Final 3 and I hate it.

Contrast with the Afghanimals, who have annoyed me in the past but I am happily rooting for now. That U-Turn move was pretty slick.

Yeah that was pretty great. "Let's U-turn Tyler & Kor-- oh hey guys, u-turn this team". And then later on distracting someone long enough to beat them in a footrace to pit stop. I'm pretty impressed with them, because they also had that fake argument on the first leg to get everybody to stop following them.

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm enjoying this season since going off the cast list before the premiere, I hated everybody except Colin & Christie.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
This episode reminded me that I had stopped watching TAR because of them using bullshit "sanctuaries/rescues" that are anything but. Nice to see they still don't give an actual gently caress about animals.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SteveVizsla posted:

This episode reminded me that I had stopped watching TAR because of them using bullshit "sanctuaries/rescues" that are anything but. Nice to see they still don't give an actual gently caress about animals.

:confused:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The BBQ Detour was very old school in the sense that the judge absolutely did not care what they brought him, he was reaching for the card practically before they set it down.

Glad people are catching on to my Afghanimals love! :cool:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Rupert’s melodrama on the elephant was hilarious. I’m also enjoying this season and am glad characters like Corrine and Eliza get time to really shine. Plus the Janelle and Britney extended scene/confessional is gold. They need to be on tv more :allears:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Good elephant sanctuaries don't let people ride the elephants.

The previous one that made me stop watching was the lion walk. They sold it on tv as a place that rescues lions, the place is actually known for heavily breeding them to sell cubs to canned hunts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Andrew_1985 posted:

Rupert is as terrible as his sinking beach shack. I really like Tyler and Corey and was worried they were going to get eliminated. They're fun and make the same gay comments my friends and I probably would.

The Afghanimals seem like they're going to win the season.

Way too early to call that with any degree of precision. It's still early, the Big Brother and Survivor teams are still acclimating, and most importantly, Killer Fatigue isn't wearing anyone down yet. Teams that have looked stronger than the Afghanimals have started strong and then crashed. One bad leg, hell one bad taxi driver sometimes, is all it takes to take an otherwise dominant team out. Especially in the more recent versions of the show where the events and flights are precisely timed so that almost everyone ends up on the same flight every time. The era where you can get a day's lead on the other teams is well and truly over.

It's still anyone's Race.

That said, Rupert and Laura were doomed from the get go. You need basic navigation skills to survive this show, and that team didn't have any. Elephant or no elephant they weren't making it past the halfway point of the season. Look how much time they bled in both the episodes they were on. If the Border Patrol guys hadn't given up on the mountain in the first ep, Rupert and Laura's piss poor navigation would have ended them then. As it is, it was more a mercy killing to get them over with now rather than watch them stumble around helplessly in further episodes.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

Way too early to call that with any degree of precision. It's still early, the Big Brother and Survivor teams are still acclimating, and most importantly, Killer Fatigue isn't wearing anyone down yet. Teams that have looked stronger than the Afghanimals have started strong and then crashed. One bad leg, hell one bad taxi driver sometimes, is all it takes to take an otherwise dominant team out. Especially in the more recent versions of the show where the events and flights are precisely timed so that almost everyone ends up on the same flight every time. The era where you can get a day's lead on the other teams is well and truly over.

It's still anyone's Race.

That said, Rupert and Laura were doomed from the get go. You need basic navigation skills to survive this show, and that team didn't have any. Elephant or no elephant they weren't making it past the halfway point of the season. Look how much time they bled in both the episodes they were on. If the Border Patrol guys hadn't given up on the mountain in the first ep, Rupert and Laura's piss poor navigation would have ended them then. As it is, it was more a mercy killing to get them over with now rather than watch them stumble around helplessly in further episodes.

I don't even mind Rupert that much, and I was happy it was an elimination leg. They really weren't doing well.

Zen Collin is indeed more irritating than rage Collin.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

jng2058 posted:

I miss this aspect of the show, I felt it really added to the race aspect. Now, the whole drama about finishing position other than first or last is pointless as they'll all be on the same flight.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Septimius posted:

I miss this aspect of the show, I felt it really added to the race aspect. Now, the whole drama about finishing position other than first or last is pointless as they'll all be on the same flight.

This is all true but also nothing new in the past 10+ seasons of the show

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Septimius posted:

Agreed, though it can matter on the comparatively rare occasions where they don't immediately pack up and fly to another country. If you get two legs in the same country then having an hour or three between the first team and the last team can still have some significance. But it's nothing like the leads you used to be able to accumulate.

Riptor posted:

This is all true but also nothing new in the past 10+ seasons of the show

Which is a conscious decision they've made to keep things tight these last few years. Give the league some parity, to use the NFL phrase. Which does make the whole thing more dramatic, especially in the final couple of legs, but sure doesn't reward good racing skills the way the early seasons did. Which is indeed a pity.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Considering they probably have to rent out the tourist traps they turn into road blocks and detours. It probably makes the most sense for them to bunch teams up on a financial level.

Its likely also much easier to deal with camera crews and pit stops.

And while maybe less fun, it creates better TV for most. Sadly the show is only there to be a cheap filler for when ine of CBS's poo poo shows flops.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Yeah it's sort of astounding when you look at the first few seasons how frequently they would mention production errors and stuff. They used to dole out fifteen minute (or even longer) time credits fairly frequently. They definitely have things down to much more of a science now for better or worse

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

As a Becca & Floyd fan, this was a fantastic episode. I wish we knew how far ahead of everyone else they were.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

SteveVizsla posted:

As a Becca & Floyd fan, this was a fantastic episode. I wish we knew how far ahead of everyone else they were.

Yeah... this episode reinforced why they are my favorite team.

Also, that glowing "WELCOME TO VIETNAM" dance and song was cool.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SteveVizsla posted:

They are probably one of the better teams they've ever had on the race... and they were picked kind of randomly in a gimmick season.

Even on paper, 90% of the teams similar to them in the past ("Bringing tons of energy") end up annoying assholes, but they work it just right.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are probably one of the better teams they've ever had on the race... and they were picked kind of randomly in a gimmick season.

And didn't they say they are dating now? Team Fun is who I'm rooting for. Also Becca looks just like Tim Robinson. If The Detroiters wasn't cancelled I would have wanted her to show up as his sister.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah I was annoyed by them in the first episode but they've grown on me a lot.

I had a feeling before the episode started that it would be a non-elim leg this time. Barring a complete meltdown or disaster for another team I don't think it's going to save Chris and Bret, though.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Honestly it kinda depends on whether or not they stay in Vietnam. If everyone ends up on the same flight to someplace new, then the penalty may not hurt them too badly. If they stay in Vietnam and have to make up the time they're behind AND the bonus task? That's a lot harder for a team who aren't racing very well in the first place.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That was a really fun leg. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a TAR season this much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It wasn't til the fishing bit that I realized that we have three gay guys racing (Tyler/Korey and Bret). I don't think that's a record but it's kinda neat.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

It wasn't til the fishing bit that I realized that we have three gay guys racing (Tyler/Korey and Bret). I don't think that's a record but it's kinda neat.

We had at least 3 LGBT before in Season 14, Mike and Mel White and Luke.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

An Ounce of Gold posted:

And didn't they say they are dating now? Team Fun is who I'm rooting for. Also Becca looks just like Tim Robinson. If The Detroiters wasn't cancelled I would have wanted her to show up as his sister.

They said they were dating, the immediately laughed and said "just kidding".

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wait, I legitimately thought Team Fun were dating.

But I am definitely hoping Team Gay wins. But TAR has usually been okay with representation, but I don't think we've had a wide range of LBTQ contestants.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is a really fun season

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Andrew_1985 posted:

But TAR has usually been okay with representation, but I don't think we've had a wide range of LBTQ contestants.

TAR actually did a pretty great thing way back in 2003 during season 4 where they listed a gay team (Chip & Reichen) as "married" despite that not being a legal possibility at the time

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yay, most racin'

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

that's a small ocean

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

I had a feeling before the episode started that it would be a non-elim leg this time. Barring a complete meltdown or disaster for another team I don't think it's going to save Chris and Bret, though.

This aged well

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

When 2 bad teams are the final 2 and you don't know who you want to actually lose.

Then the bad teams start bickering that they are bad teams :confused:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you'd told me from the start that Chris and Bret would be the last Survivor team remaining, I'd be all... 'eh?'. I mean none of them seemed that good anyway. But they're probably the last 'fodder' team left, everyone else seem pretty capable, plus or minus Rachel's familiar breakdowns.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Why the gently caress would you just dump the fish into your boat lmao

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Honestly it kinda depends on whether or not they stay in Vietnam. If everyone ends up on the same flight to someplace new, then the penalty may not hurt them too badly. If they stay in Vietnam and have to make up the time they're behind AND the bonus task? That's a lot harder for a team who aren't racing very well in the first place.

Well it turned out that the Hours of Operation Bunching ended up working the same for Chris and Bret as a flight outta town. For all that, they really did recover a lot better than I was giving them credit for.

It was interesting to see the Survivor girls go out with bitterness and angst, which is quite unusual for the Amazing Race, where usually even the most toxic of teams try to bow out gracefully. I haven't seen that much rage in a team being eliminated since Karen tried to will Lenny to die then and there back in season one. I did chuckle at the "we never have to see them again" bit. I guess they don't know about the big finish line scene, huh?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've heard that there was apparently an unaired Face to Face between the Reileys and Corrine/Eliza, which was why the latter were so bitter after losing (and why the Reileys just stayed on the mat for so long). Not sure if that's true but that must have been an extra burn to them.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I could believe that. That would explain a lot of the weird stuff, like Chris & Bret somehow rising as many places as Leo & Jamal fell, the top two teams helping each other reach the pitstop, and the teams not saying "pitstop" when they read the clues. If so, I'm glad they edited the Head-to-Head out, because those were pretty terrible last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
There was an extra challenge thar was cut? Weird, TAR is usually better about that stuff. Or used to be.

Not going to miss Eliza and Corinne though.