Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"What? You picked us? You just made a million dollar mistake!" * Gets eliminated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"What? You picked us? You just made a million dollar mistake!" * Gets eliminated

I mean, yes, that's the point. They're a weak team and had basically zero shot of making the finale anyway. The smart move would be to put another strong team in the u-turn so hopefully they eliminate each other.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It was insane to me that there wasn't overwhelming support for u-turning victor and nicole since they would then have three challenges and almost certainly would've been eliminated

That said thank gently caress rachel is gone

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Would it be a smart move to put a strong team in the U-Turn? Yes.

Was it satisfying to see Rachel go home? YES.

I'm generally fairly ambivalent on Rachel (her undying cockroach status has me shaking my head constantly), but this episode just was not a good look for them.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!
I'm kind of surprised that all of the other Amazing Race Teams - all of whom have won more legs than Colin & Christine - pretty much flew under the radar.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I would rather u-turn a bottom feeder than the more dominant teams because that nearly guarantees you won't get eliminated. See also- Colin & Christie finishing in 3rd, which basically meant that u-turn was wasted by everyone except Tyler & Korey. I guess that all depends on where in the leg the u-turn comes though, because if it's right in front of pitstop as it sometimes is, that's basically a death sentence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well the Afghanimals are generally recognized as a threat. I think Tyler and Korey and Team Fun are both fairly recent teams and they're very likable, so they're making more friends who are less inclined to get them out and haven't stuck out as 'big threat' teams. Meanwhile, Colin and Christie are kind of legendary meme status and are pretty focused on winning.

As someone who doesn't watch Big Brother, how were Nic and Vic on there? They seem pretty darn pleasant here but I have no idea how they are in the BB house.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
My favorite part was Bret & Chris continually referring to Rachel & Elissa as "The O' Reilly Sisters" during last night's episode, which sort of illustrated how little contact they had.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also huh, a TAR team has won every leg.

I can't believe Chris and Bret have been the closest to beating that streak. I didn't really care about them too much on Survivor but TAR is definitely more their wheelhouse, even if it doesn't look it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Big Brother, how were Nic and Vic on there? They seem pretty darn pleasant here but I have no idea how they are in the BB house.
They were both basically pleasant people in the right circumstances who had turns with bad company and slimy gameplay that made them unlikable at times.

Nicole was very pleasant in her first season and basically the sweetheart of the season. She got backstabbed pretty cruelly by her bestie, had a showmance with another fairly pleasant person where she was afraid to kiss him on camera, was one of the few people who sort of put up a fight against the unlikable majority, and was sincerely afraid of ghosts. She came back for a second season (where she met Victor), established herself in the unlikable majority, played a very snake "survive at all costs" cutthroat game, got in another showmance with an unlikable douche (not Victor) who she was not afraid to kiss on camera, and whined about how everything was unfair. So everyone HATED her even people like me who liked her the first time. But she also won so I guess that's a lesson.

Victor was a massive misogynistic douche working with a bunch of other douches at the start of the season and was eliminated in like Week 2. Then he came back and was being used by another group of douches because he was a comp beast until a mutiny happened and he joined the outsiders and made up with them for his past stuff. Then the outsiders betrayed him and voted him out again and he came back for a third life which probably should have made fans furious but Victor just kind of won people over with his journey and became America's Favorite after being eliminated a 3rd time.

They didn't actually hook up until after. Although Victor hit on her and got rejected.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

R to the J posted:

I'm kind of surprised that all of the other Amazing Race Teams - all of whom have won more legs than Colin & Christine - pretty much flew under the radar.

I feel like even though the other teams have won more legs, Colin and Christine are still my prediction to win because I feel like at any point Colin can just put things into another gear and carry the team, like he did in this episode. I also feel like, somehow, their whole Zen thing is actually real enough that they are the least likely team to break down in frustration.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Please tell me more about the ghosts

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

I feel like even though the other teams have won more legs, Colin and Christine are still my prediction to win because I feel like at any point Colin can just put things into another gear and carry the team, like he did in this episode. I also feel like, somehow, their whole Zen thing is actually real enough that they are the least likely team to break down in frustration.

Yeah, I completely agree. My statement about them being better people was rightly challenged earlier by people talking about editing - which is not incorrect - but their whole chill vibe does seem to be both new and genuine and i do think it's a boon to them this season on top of their existing insane strength as a team

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Andorra posted:

This episode cements it. Were it not for the ever detestable Jonathan, Rachel might be my least favorite person to have ever appeared on this show, and even then it's close.

Jonathan who pushed his wife in Berlin and got a talking to from Phil at the mat, right? Yeah that dude was a monster

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have at times been a fan or defender of both Rachel and Elissa but I have to imagine putting the two of them together in high stress situations is a loving nightmare.

Riptor posted:

Please tell me more about the ghosts

Basically its just that Nicole sincerely believed in ghosts so being in a "house" that's really a giant soundstage with dozens of people walking in the walls and watching through one sided mirrors, lots of automated cameras that move and make noise, and a bored dude with a sound machine resulted in a lot of really sincere over the top reactions.

It was either charming or infuriating depending on your disposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQv_bmsEl0

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Becca having an advantage in many challenges due to working fairly regular jobs is cool.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Rick posted:

Becca having an advantage in many challenges due to working fairly regular jobs is cool.

I love it when racers have a randomly large array of skills, like there was that grandfather a while back where almost once a leg there was a task that somehow related to a job he'd done in his lifetime. And then more bizarrely there was that guy who somehow claimed being a walmart manager would help him in numerous tasks, including tasks such as kicking coconuts while on stilts :wtc:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I never watched Team Fun’s original season but I might give it a shot, they’ve started to grow on me. I probably couldn’t be around that energy 24/7 but in these 45 minute blocks they’re fine.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

I never watched Team Fun’s original season but I might give it a shot, they’ve started to grow on me. I probably couldn’t be around that energy 24/7 but in these 45 minute blocks they’re fine.

Their season at first seemed gimmicky ("let's just pair randos together!") but it actually ended up coming together really well.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I really enjoyed the William Tell task this week, the fact everyone was clearing it at completely different speeds really added tension.

I’ve also been watching season 27 and one of the speed bump was both members of the team had to complete the road block which I much prefer to them just having to do a quick trivial task.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tea Bone posted:

I really enjoyed the William Tell task this week, the fact everyone was clearing it at completely different speeds really added tension.

:same:

I can't believe how many people didn't seem to realize "wow I'm hitting the dummy's head a lot, I should aim more up"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

WampaLord posted:

:same:

I can't believe how many people didn't seem to realize "wow I'm hitting the dummy's head a lot, I should aim more up"

They probably did, there's just a lot of factors that go into it. Wind speed, fatigue, actual aiming ability.

Also, it was pointed out somewhere that this leg was actually very short - the U-Turn vote happened at 7, and when Chris and Bret were heading to the pit stop, one of them mentioned it was 9. So the whole leg took about 2 hours, and I imagine teams didn't spend any more than maybe half an hour shooting the apple.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

ApplesandOranges posted:

They probably did, there's just a lot of factors that go into it. Wind speed, fatigue, actual aiming ability.

Also, it was pointed out somewhere that this leg was actually very short - the U-Turn vote happened at 7, and when Chris and Bret were heading to the pit stop, one of them mentioned it was 9. So the whole leg took about 2 hours, and I imagine teams didn't spend any more than maybe half an hour shooting the apple.

Yeah Leo and Jamal estimated their time driving around lost at about 20 minutes, and it was enough to drop them behind several teams

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I caught up on this last night and I hope to god they don't try to run this theme back with Paulie Calafiore and Cara Maria as a team.

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

So I actually got to meet Bret this past weekend as he was working security for one of Boston Pride's block parties. Was incredibly nice, though he didn't really have much for interesting things to say except "keep watching! bring up those ratings!" But I also may have been incredibly drunk at the time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Plane ticket drama being back made me so happy

I could tell by the editing at the start one of the teams on the first train was going to melt down.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

IcePhoenix posted:

Plane ticket drama being back made me so happy

I could tell by the editing at the start one of the teams on the first train was going to melt down.

Well, when a team's first quote in the episode is "If we run a mistake free leg we can come in first." then you know they're either going to be brilliant or crash and burn.

ooooooooOOOOO.....KA-BOOM! :supaburn:

To be fair, they lasted a lot longer than I thought they would. I had them pegged as out by episode three and they...just...kept...hanging....on!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Good episode. Felt like a classic Amazing Race with flights and no equalizer.

Brett and Chris's elimination was super abrupt with the editing. Usually teams get a bit more time and some sad music. It was weirdly rushed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

Brett and Chris's elimination was super abrupt with the editing. Usually teams get a bit more time and some sad music. It was weirdly rushed

Yeah, that was weird. I wonder if something happened that they had to cut?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

blue squares posted:

Good episode. Felt like a classic Amazing Race with flights and no equalizer.

Yea, I was watching it with my boyfriend and literally said "Well, if the other teams have issues with the Romans, or there are weird traffic shenanigans, then... Oh nevermind, I guess they can't catch up."

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Riptor posted:

They didn't film in HD prior to that so I think you're outta luck

Season 5 is particularly good

I've just got the last leg to go on my season 5 re-watch. And oh my god. Colin's "MY OX IS BROKEN" meltdown was even better than I hopped.

Overall I'm enjoying the airport drama but I think I prefer the current more task based format. I think we were in the sweet spot in the early 20s where it was mostly task focused but still had the odd bit of flight booking chaos. It was nice to see that back this week.

Which season was it a team forced their way into some random people's house and built something in their garden because they thought it was a task?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I've just got the last leg to go on my season 5 re-watch. And oh my god. Colin's "MY OX IS BROKEN" meltdown was even better than I hopped.

Overall I'm enjoying the airport drama but I think I prefer the current more task based format. I think we were in the sweet spot in the early 20s where it was mostly task focused but still had the odd bit of flight booking chaos. It was nice to see that back this week.

Which season was it a team forced their way into some random people's house and built something in their garden because they thought it was a task?

Season 22, in one of the greatest single-leg implosions of a dominant team.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Noooooo Team Fun!

Although at least they got a nice lengthy send-off. What did Chris and Brett do, beat up a producer?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Team fun are significantly more important to CBS and The Amazing Race than Chris and Brett.

Even though the Race is just the filler show at the moment, whenever they do another returnee teams race, Team Fun will be high on the list, Chris and Brett, will not likely not be on the list.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It was really sad but also kind of weird watching Becca just completely melt down the first time they faced any real strife

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I'm surprised Becca & Floyd are so liked here. I found them annoying in both seasons.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

It was really sad but also kind of weird watching Becca just completely melt down the first time they faced any real strife

She's done that a few times. She gets mad much sooner than Floyd does

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Andorra posted:

I'm surprised Becca & Floyd are so liked here. I found them annoying in both seasons.

It's because you're a curmudgeon

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, Becca has shown a temper that makes me hesitate on liking her. Like, she reminds me of people i know where they're only okay to be around when you do exactly as they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Failson posted:

Like, she reminds me of people i know where they're only okay to be around when you do exactly as they say.

This is a really good way to describe how it made me feel yeah.

Anyway I'm excited for the Finale. Hoping Tyler/Corey or Nic/Vic win.