Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It wasn't til the fishing bit that I realized that we have three gay guys racing (Tyler/Korey and Bret). I don't think that's a record but it's kinda neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you'd told me from the start that Chris and Bret would be the last Survivor team remaining, I'd be all... 'eh?'. I mean none of them seemed that good anyway. But they're probably the last 'fodder' team left, everyone else seem pretty capable, plus or minus Rachel's familiar breakdowns.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've heard that there was apparently an unaired Face to Face between the Reileys and Corrine/Eliza, which was why the latter were so bitter after losing (and why the Reileys just stayed on the mat for so long). Not sure if that's true but that must have been an extra burn to them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShakeZula posted:

I wish for the head-to-head they would force the team members to rotate who does it. Otherwise you get what you had this time, where everyone who had a second try at the puzzle won on it.

Also despite Janelle's epic roadblock mistake I think Britney has to go down as one of the biggest dead weight racers of all time.

Chris and Bret swapped, but yeah otherwise it seemed like everyone just went again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the obnoxious part is 'we used to be so mad but now we're so zen, so much better'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tea Bone posted:

And is there any must see seasons (I've seen most from 17 onwards)

A few that I remember enjoying:

7 (great finish. Also has Rob/Amber from Survivor)
11 (All-Stars. Save it if you want to watch the previous seasons I guess, but enjoyable enough on its own. If you want to watch all the original teams, they're from 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10).
12 (has an amazing journey by one team)
14 (has no less than five teams that would return in the future)
15 (some pretty amazing/terrible teams)
16 (has one of the most popular teams in the show up til the Afghanimals)

You've already seen 17, but it's probably still worth a rewatch if you have the time for it.

Honestly, the 12-17 stretch is pretty great. 21 also has one of my favourite teams in TAR history. 25 is pretty good just for the finish.

I kind of lost interest halfway through 26 (that's when they started getting a bit gimmicky), and didn't pick up the show again til this season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

R to the J posted:

Season 12 also has one of the greatest/hardest finale tasks ever.

I think that was the first time the race really demanded observation of tiny details throughout the whole race and it just caught everyone by surprise.

Teams these days now expect a big memory challenge near the end, but they did away with those.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay, that might have been one of my favourite episodes in a long while? There was drama during travel. Some amazing scenery. Some great silly and relaxing moments (Tyler & Korey just appreciating the male form during the leg, Colin's goofy 3-second spy moment out of the helicopter). Just about every team was having fun and taking in the sights. Direction drama. And of course, mat drama.

And I'm even more revved up for the next leg, that twist sounds fun. TAR actually made me look forward to next week again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the leg itself wasn't amazing (if the memory puzzle was a forced task, maybe), but otherwise the episode was pretty great.

I'm not big on Rachel either (seriously, how has she survived that many legs, she's not a good Racer), but she provided some good drama this week at least.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Would it be a smart move to put a strong team in the U-Turn? Yes.

Was it satisfying to see Rachel go home? YES.

I'm generally fairly ambivalent on Rachel (her undying cockroach status has me shaking my head constantly), but this episode just was not a good look for them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well the Afghanimals are generally recognized as a threat. I think Tyler and Korey and Team Fun are both fairly recent teams and they're very likable, so they're making more friends who are less inclined to get them out and haven't stuck out as 'big threat' teams. Meanwhile, Colin and Christie are kind of legendary meme status and are pretty focused on winning.

As someone who doesn't watch Big Brother, how were Nic and Vic on there? They seem pretty darn pleasant here but I have no idea how they are in the BB house.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also huh, a TAR team has won every leg.

I can't believe Chris and Bret have been the closest to beating that streak. I didn't really care about them too much on Survivor but TAR is definitely more their wheelhouse, even if it doesn't look it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I never watched Team Fun’s original season but I might give it a shot, they’ve started to grow on me. I probably couldn’t be around that energy 24/7 but in these 45 minute blocks they’re fine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

WampaLord posted:

:same:

I can't believe how many people didn't seem to realize "wow I'm hitting the dummy's head a lot, I should aim more up"

They probably did, there's just a lot of factors that go into it. Wind speed, fatigue, actual aiming ability.

Also, it was pointed out somewhere that this leg was actually very short - the U-Turn vote happened at 7, and when Chris and Bret were heading to the pit stop, one of them mentioned it was 9. So the whole leg took about 2 hours, and I imagine teams didn't spend any more than maybe half an hour shooting the apple.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I thought it was kinda amusing how at the U-Turn the teams went, 'yeah, the Afghanimals are almost definitely U-Turning somebody, we'll let them take the heat for it'.

They're doing so much worse the third time round, it's like they absorbed whatever cockroach power Rachel had when she got eliminated.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah this was an alright season. Once again the team I wanted to win came in second place, but I'm okay with the winners for once.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They also didn't like Leo/Alana because they saved the sisters over the Olympians, their logic that the Olympians would have been a stronger team later on which could have been used to knock out other stronger teams.

Of course, that logic only flies if they're so confident that they're so strong that the Olympians could never get the boyfriends themselves out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ShakeZula posted:

The Yield is new this season, right? I don't think it's been too much of a success, and I expect it'll probably quietly go away.

As for the U-Turn, it's tricky, because while it's definitely become a little formulaic, it's also a really valuable part of the race and I can't really think of a better way to handle it. I really hated the way the beard bros used it, but in a season without the alliance problem that this one has that likely wouldn't be a logical move for any team in their position to make, so I'm not too worried about it going forward.

The Yield appeared in earlier seasons, but it had a bit more of an impact back when minutes would determine placements. These days usually 20-40 minutes isn't enough for someone to overcome a serious deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
TAR has always been a bit of a cult classic since what, the mid-teens? They'll probably keep churning them out as long as the small but dedicated fan-base stays, though they'd need to justify it now considering the pandemic.

Admittedly, there aren't a lot of seasons in the last ten seasons or so that I've considered a 'really good, will watch again'. I did miss the bunch of 'gimmick' seasons they were doing for a while, so the last season I really remember fondly was S21, or maybe S25 just because of how out of nowhere the winner came from.