Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

wesleywillis posted:

I don't expect them to be defying laws of physics, I've just never really put much thought in to them.
They just add a lot of grippy chunky textures to your smooth slippery tire so that you can get out of low traction situations. Its a literal chain wrapped around the wheel physically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
First snow event this winter in my area and it is amazing the difference between those with actual winter tires and those with all seasons. The all seasons should be just parked as the roads were a bit wet before temperature plunged so a thin layer of ice below the snow and they can't get moving at all no matter how hard they spin them tires.

Bit a hairy moment where a transport truck carrying a bunch of gas cylinders with explosion warnings started to spin tires and then jackknifed across the road, poo poo like that should result in charges but WHATever, yolo.

My X-ices did fantastic and got to try some distance stops on a freshly snowed side street and they did aces. Will have to try some donuts with RWD only enabled (car has rear electric motors and front wheel ICE plug in hybrid)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, we're gonna have our first actual winter storm of the year tomorrow (in Minnesota, wtf). Be interesting to see how many idiots STILL haven't gotten good tires on and are still bombing around on bald all seasons. At least I took the weekend off to cash out some PTO before the end of our FY.

Following that is the first polar vortex of the year, so I'll have to bring my mini tool kit for doing the easy battery changes. I finally inventoried and organized the shop box a couple weeks ago, so I know all the stuff the shop needs is there. But I'm sure we'll be busy as gently caress doing battery changes by Sunday/Monday too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I'm looking for tire recommendations for our 2021 Model Y Long Range. We have the 19" wheels.

We've put ~33k miles on the OEM tires, but I was stupid and never bothered to rotate them. So, the rear tires have worn out faster than the fronts.

Presumably I'm looking for some variety of all-seasons. Ideally ones that won't have a detrimental impact on range.

K918
Jan 6, 2022

Good. And you?

MetaJew posted:

I'm looking for tire recommendations for our 2021 Model Y Long Range. We have the 19" wheels.

We've put ~33k miles on the OEM tires, but I was stupid and never bothered to rotate them. So, the rear tires have worn out faster than the fronts.

Presumably I'm looking for some variety of all-seasons. Ideally ones that won't have a detrimental impact on range.

Honestly, EVs have some really weird tire requirements because of their weight. Also since road noise is relative, you will hear the differences in tire roar between different tires much more on your Y than in regular gas cars.
The safe answer, unless you are planning to drive on snow is to just get another set of the stock tires.
Just my two cents.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

K918 posted:

Honestly, EVs have some really weird tire requirements because of their weight. Also since road noise is relative, you will hear the differences in tire roar between different tires much more on your Y than in regular gas cars.
The safe answer, unless you are planning to drive on snow is to just get another set of the stock tires.
Just my two cents.

That was my general conclusion. I'll have to see if Discount Tire stocks them, or Costco or wherever.

My brother put some non-ev-specific all seasons on his model 3 performance and apparently saw a 15% reduction in range so obviously I want to avoid that.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Looking to replace the lovely stock tires on my Mazda3 Turbo, would Potenza Sport AS be a good compromise between performance, tread wear and cost? Looking to spend under $200 per tire; I don’t autocross or anything like that but do enjoy a spirited drive now and then.

e: plan on getting them at Costco if that makes any difference

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 7, 2024

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The Potenza Sport AS did well in Tire Rack's testing (link below). The only drawback seemed to be it's not great on noise, and has a firm ride.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=324

The Continental DWS 06+ seems to have basically comparable performance, and maybe a little less noise/roughness. And it's usually cheaper than the Bridgestone, comparing common sizes. But I don't think Costco carries Continental.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you dont need tires immediately its worth it to get a discount tire card and be ready to buy something on sale. the card gets 5% off plus whatever rebates, ect is going on at the moment.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

If you’re going for performance all-season, I can never get tired of recommending the DWS06. Had them on my S60R, and currently run them on the S2000, FiST, and 911 as the all-around choice when the 200tw sets come off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

If you’re going for performance all-season, I can never get tired of recommending the DWS06. Had them on my S60R, and currently run them on the S2000, FiST, and 911 as the all-around choice when the 200tw sets come off.
Yup, really good all around tires. Have then on cayman and e30, putting a set on the e28 next week.

Anyone have recommendations for a modern "Michelin 520 x 12." that isn't a trailer tire? That seems to translate to 125R12 & 145R12 I think but I'm finding conflicting info on that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Put my summers back on this week (PS4S). Always such a nice feeling to get off noisy rough riding winters.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Put my summers back on this week (PS4S). Always such a nice feeling to get off noisy rough riding winters.

good reminder that i need to schedule the switch

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I did that last week on the Miata (RT660) and the 911 (RE-71RS). The S2000 (V730) got done a bit earlier since it doesn’t come out in the cold no matter what.

I love 200tw rubber

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've got to get a new set of (all-season) summer tires and was going to pick up the a set of Pilot AS4. Are the Continental DWS06 a better choice? I have winters that I swap to, but I also live in an area that can get quite cold and even have some light snow throughout a lot of the year, so pure summers are out of the running.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I run DWS06 all year round on my Fiesta ST. All-seasons are always a compromise but I’ve never been disappointed in the DWS

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

I've got to get a new set of (all-season) summer tires and was going to pick up the a set of Pilot AS4. Are the Continental DWS06 a better choice? I have winters that I swap to, but I also live in an area that can get quite cold and even have some light snow throughout a lot of the year, so pure summers are out of the running.

I run Pilot AS4s year round on my 1 series in the PNW and love them, but I only did about 5k miles in the last year. I got them exactly because winters here get under 40° and can occasionally have light snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I did that last week on the Miata (RT660) and the 911 (RE-71RS). The S2000 (V730) got done a bit earlier since it doesn’t come out in the cold no matter what.

I love 200tw rubber
Gonna do it this weekend I guess even though the Miata's overdue on the tech inspection so I shouldn't be really driving it :ssh:

I got a set of NS-2Rs for it even though I only do an occasional track day, and it's waaay too much tire for the street... but they were literally half the price of a something like Pilot Sport 3 soooo do I really need poo poo like "reasonable fuel economy", "wet handling" or "low road noise" :getin:

The effect of switching from a midrange winter tire do these is pretty funny though.