Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PitViper posted:

I had a buddy of mine order those same tires a month or two back in a different size. He's been very happy with them, and the ones he got were actually a mid-2021 production. I'd run them with no concerns.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...icleSearch=true

Am I going to regret getting these closeouts? I value dry then wet traction with occasional light track use. They seem... fine? I'm replacing 10 year old rotten Hankook Ventus's that were fine, not amazing.

Looking through the user reviews, there are quite a few with complaints about extremely short tread life. Like sub-10k miles.

Also, just in case you didn't notice, the closeout price is on "2020 production" tires. I'm not sure I want to buy "new" tires with that much age on them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Number_6 posted:

Looking through the user reviews, there are quite a few with complaints about extremely short tread life. Like sub-10k miles.

Also, just in case you didn't notice, the closeout price is on "2020 production" tires. I'm not sure I want to buy "new" tires with that much age on them.

When they won't last 10k miles, I don't see the problem with age. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
300 utqg is so high I don't see how people could be complaining about tread life. You guys don't sort low to high?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

UTQG treadwear is basically bullshit and at best is only comparable within a single brand.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

There are SAE standards for everything and then there's these jokers.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I should bring this in and insist they patch it right

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I wound up doing tire rack mobile install and it went great. Dude seemingly did it all right. Highly recommend.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

devicenull posted:

lmao. My condolences

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

devicenull posted:

:rip:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

devicenull posted:

No, a puncture like that requires a plug.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with the cross climate 2? They'd be going on an F30 330i RWD that does a long daily highway commute in Missouri. So 4 seasons with winter being hit or miss on snow with some ice thrown in. I have a second wheelset with winters on them but feel weird having a winter set and then an all season set since actual summers aren't going to happen for fuel mileage and longevity reasons.

The main complaints I've seen about them are additional noise and a noticeable mpg hit but that might be people coming from LRR tires?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the cross climate 2? They'd be going on an F30 330i RWD that does a long daily highway commute in Missouri. So 4 seasons with winter being hit or miss on snow with some ice thrown in. I have a second wheelset with winters on them but feel weird having a winter set and then an all season set since actual summers aren't going to happen for fuel mileage and longevity reasons.

The main complaints I've seen about them are additional noise and a noticeable mpg hit but that might be people coming from LRR tires?

I put them on my fatass van ('12 Odyssey) and they were fine in Detroit last winter. That car has a ton of mass to it and we didn't get much snow last winter, though. I don't calculate mpg and big vehicles like this are loud as gently caress anyway so I didn't notice much difference to what it had before (michelin defender I think).

I think it's silly to have a sporty car with a dedicated summer set of wheels with compromise tires, personally. You do you though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I agree, and the CrossClimate 2 while good, might not live up to your noise or efficiency preferences. I’d take a look at what’s available on TireRack, and see what their recommendations are with your criteria. You should have plenty of options even if you’re sticking with all-seasons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I guess I don't really understand the situation. You have dedicated winters, so this tire is gonna be a summerish/three season tire. Why go with something that has better snow performance if you already have dedicated winter tires?

At that point I'd go with something else, like the suggested A/S3 or the Continental DWS 6. If you want to go a bit cheaper in all seasons the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is a pretty well balanced tire and has good wet performance.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cross Climate 2 would be all year tires and put the winers for sale or in storage or some such would be my suggestion if you wanted CC2s.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just put Cross Climate 2s on my Volvo V90.
Not noticing any difference in noise, but a bit disappointed by the ride quality.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

In contrast, the CC2s I put on my CX-5 to replace the extremely mid factory Toyo all seasons ride the same or better, the only downside being a little bit reduced fuel economy because they aren’t hard max wear hockey puck tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Cross Climate 2 would be all year tires and put the winers for sale or in storage or some such would be my suggestion if you wanted CC2s.

agreed

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

It would be this if I go that route. The winter set is a holdover from when I dailied my M3. They're the wrong size tire for the 330i but they should fit and should have another season left on them.

Mileage is a factor with how much I drive. Most likely gonna take a hit from a winter setup anyway even though there wasn't a noticeable drop on my Prius when I was running X-Ice Snow's.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how much are you driving?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how much are you driving?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35k miles a year in the 330

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I mean, I personally run dedicated winters 6 months of the year in MN, and performance all seasons the other 6. If you wanted to stick with Michelin, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 are almost as good as a dedicated summer tire while still giving acceptable traction in light snow.

Otherwise hit up Tire Rack, check out things like the Pirelli Pzero AS or other performance all seasons, and look at their testing articles in particular. They'll compare 4 of the most popular/newest and give their impressions relative to each other. You could run straight summer/winter tires, but then you've got a tighter balance as far as swapping them at the change of seasons.

Up here for instance, I'll usually toss my winters on around Oct 15th, but if I waited it wouldn't be the end of the world if I caught some early snow. I'll take them off about mid-April.

Edit: reading your followup, if you want just one set of tires year round, the CC2 will last longer and be better in occasional snow/ice vs the PSAS4, and having been in Missouri during an ice storm many years ago, I know they basically don't do much except wait for it to melt.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 4, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Speaking of winter tires, is the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 the successor to the Pilot Alpin PA4? The have totally different tread patterns (symmetrical on the Alpin 5 vs asymmetrical on the Alpin PA4) and the descriptions on the Michelin site highly the more sporty nature of the PA4 but describe the 5 as being "selected by premium car makers". However, it is the recommended winter tire for AMGs and the M5.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

fknlo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the cross climate 2?

[...]

just to add an anecdote here, I got them a while ago - from advice in this thread, even. Compared to the stock Bridgestone Ecopias (which are LRR, but were also bad) the difference was maybe ~1mpg and the cabin noise was lower, based on my highly scientific "how far do I have to turn the sound up" test. maybe 10% less volume on the radio? :v:

This isn't the most fair comparison since I was replacing old ecopias with fresh CC2s, on a different car from you, and I drive maybe a tenth of the miles you do. However ... they're really nice.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
the front tires on my macan are ~3.5/32" and my rears are at 7/32". i assume instead of just doing the fronts, i should replace all 4 together? currently have Yokohama YK740 GTXs.

also looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 as replacements. i'm in texas so no real snow issues but can be wet/icy at times during the colder parts of the year.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Posted this in the questions thread after a quick look for a tire thread but didn’t see this one until someone asked about a tire thread. So this seems like the right spot.

I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm looking for tire recommendations:

Vehicle: 2017 Ford C-Max Energi FWD
Stock Tires: Michelin energy saver a/s P225/50 r17 93v
Travel: I basically just do city, so 20 miles-ish driving around town usually. Occasionally I drive 2 hours round trip but not often, let's say 2x a week.

As much as I'd love to keep the stock tires, at 25k miles they're already showing extreme wear and aren't covered by warranty due to time. To top it off at $250 a piece it's a bit expensive for the value I've gotten out of them. Now don't get me wrong, I don't want to cheap out on my tires since they're the 4 contact points that keep me alive, but certainly there's got to be a better deal.

LLR is preferred but I'm unsure if it's really necessary. I know one of the selling points is the increased weight/torque the cars have but I figure a tire with a better load rating like a 98H would still fair better than 93V, but I'm open to being told how wrong I might be.

So yeah, I'd love some recommendations.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 4, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

priznat posted:

Posted this in the questions thread after a quick look for a tire thread but didn’t see this one until someone asked about a tire thread. So this seems like the right spot.

I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.

Tire rack is pretty good for inputting a car and seeing if they offer a smaller size for winters. You can see the specs of the wheels they offer and order wherever. The offset is going to be pretty important if 18s do fit.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

priznat posted:

I'm in Vancouver.
I recently bought a winter set for my V90cc and it was hell as the selection for Volvo wheel and tires sizes is very limited.

I scoffed at the oem winter package price at the Volvo dealer, but didn't save any money going aftermarket after the dust settled.

fwiw 1010tires has a wheel fitment guarantee.

There are several oem wheel sets on FB marketplace for the GVRD right now.

I've bought 5 sets of winter tires for my cars recently, here's how i'd rank with ride comfort as priority. For old-man driving, they're all much of a sameness in the snow.
The Continental was prone to hydroplaning in heavy rain on the highway.

-Michelin X ice snow

-Michelin PA4

-Pirelli Sottozero3

-Michelin CrossClimate 2 and Continental Vikingcontact7 tied for last place.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the tips! I was talking to my dad and he just gets his tires swapped on the rims every time he changes to the winters, he said he was told by the tire guys that it isn’t as stressful for tires anymore with the newer equipment to swap them on rims. Is that true or BS? I’ve always been of the mind of having a separate set of wheels to swap over.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

priznat posted:

Thanks for the tips! I was talking to my dad and he just gets his tires swapped on the rims every time he changes to the winters

If you're keeping the car, you may as well get separate wheels as you'll pay 150-200 bucks twice a year to remount and balance the tires.

To answer your qeustion about wheel dimensions, yes you'll need to know...
Check wheel-size.com

Aftermarket wheels are a wild west show especially if you have big brakes.
Kaltire will have a fitment guarantee.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Excellent, yeah I think it’s a good plan personally to get a separate set of wheels so that rebalancing isn’t required.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah my Dad and I have run a second set of wheels for a long time because in addition to the annual swap cost, you spend a ton of time waiting at the shop with the rest of the world. Much easier to do at home.

And also easy to swap before driving 30 miles in a surprise snow storm to work. Oops!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, we charge $56/4 to swap winter/summer around on one set of wheels. $112/yr, keep the car for 8 years and you've paid for a moderately expensive set of wheels, in addition to not having to wait at the shop with every idiot who waited until November to replace their bald tires.

Have I mentioned that I, mostly solo, have worked the last 3 days straight open-close selling $115k+ in tires? I say solo because I took front desk shift for the weekend so everyone else could focus on the shop and shoving as many cars out the door as possible. We managed to install everything we sold from in-stocks all weekend, so we only have to worry about ordered tires being delivered in the next 1-5 days.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PitViper posted:

idiot who waited until November to replace their bald tires.

Not quite the above category, but I'm sitting here waiting for new rear tyres to be stuck on my winter wheels, because the garage checks them when putting the wheels on rather than taking them off. 3mm left on the rears so they're getting swapped.

This thing (Taycan 4S so quite heavy and powerful) does eat through tyres pretty rapidly, I swapped the front winters last year after 2 seasons, now the rears after 3. Summer tyres still original.

e: lol 1028 CHF for 2 Pirelli PZero Winters

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 6, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Lmfao. Tyre prices have gone up but that's just big time oof.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Recs for "winter" tires for my Fiesta ST? I live in Maryland so I can run summer tires 9 months a year, I just need something for December through March or so. I'm thinking just basic all seasons?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wroughtirony posted:

Recs for "winter" tires for my Fiesta ST? I live in Maryland so I can run summer tires 9 months a year, I just need something for December through March or so. I'm thinking just basic all seasons?

Continental DWS06. Best “all-season” I’ve used. Have them on my FiST, S2000, and S60R

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

If you are really going to switch them every year, get an actual winter tire, it will be worth it.

I had an e46 in MD and NY over the years, I had DWSs because I didn't have storage for extra wheels and they were pretty terrible in actual snow.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 13, 2023