Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Since the overall performance of all cars depends heavily on the tires, I'm kind of surprised there isn't a running thread (at least, that I could find) for this topic. We can discuss and debate the top tires in each category; the best "bang for the buck" tire in each category; etc. Race tires, summer tires, HP all-seasons, touring, winter, off road, etc. Goons can discuss their experience with their own personal choice of rubber. It could have a silly thread title like "Tires: Where the rubber meets the road" or "Steel-Belted Radial Insanity" or whatever.

To start off with, I'll ask AI's opinion on using summer performance tires for year round duty on a daily driver. For much of the '90s and early 2000s, I drove cars on summer tires like Goodyear Eagle GS-C or BFG KDW through the winter, without any real worries or problems. (In central Texas, there is rarely enough snow or ice on the road to matter...but it does get below freezing sometimes.) But summer tires now come with dire warnings about not using them when it's cold, even if it's dry. If you lived in a climate where it was warm most of the year, but had maybe 15 days a year below freezing would you go with the summer tire or settle for a good all-season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Anybody in this thread have any direct experience with either the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ or General GMAX AS-05? Based on Tire Rack etc., the Michelin seems to generally get the best reviews for an all-season performance tire; but some owners comment on tread noise and/or a somewhat harsh ride. Reviews of the GMAX AS-05 tend to comment on tire noise and sometimes on flat-spotting when the car sits, which is a phenomenon I particularly hate.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Head Bee Guy posted:

I have a 2017 Outback 3.6, and Im thinking of putting some sticky all seasons on it (and eventually getting a dedicated winter set).

I’m look for a more planted feel at higher speeds and better grip through corners, although obviously i recognize the limitations of this vehicle.

The stock size is 225/60R18, but will there be any adverse effects with 225/50R18 tires (probably bf goodrich compforce)?

Is that a 7.5" wide wheel? The 225/50 is probably too big a change in diameter, but you could probably do 235/55, which would be closer to the original diameter while still being a lower profile. I've no experience with that car platform so I don't know if it might rub the inner fenderwell.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I don't have any experience with the Model 3, but from some quick googling it sounds like it's difficult to fit much larger diameter tires to the Model 3 without rubbing. In the thread I linked below, some users suggest going to 245/45R18 which are very slightly larger in diameter, but may not help your situation. Depending if you have 8.5" wheels, 255/45 R18 might also fit but I'm not sure, it might rub.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-tire-size-for-maximum-sidewall-18%E2%80%9D-or-19%E2%80%9D.212230/page-2

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...icleSearch=true

Am I going to regret getting these closeouts? I value dry then wet traction with occasional light track use. They seem... fine? I'm replacing 10 year old rotten Hankook Ventus's that were fine, not amazing.

Looking through the user reviews, there are quite a few with complaints about extremely short tread life. Like sub-10k miles.

Also, just in case you didn't notice, the closeout price is on "2020 production" tires. I'm not sure I want to buy "new" tires with that much age on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The Potenza Sport AS did well in Tire Rack's testing (link below). The only drawback seemed to be it's not great on noise, and has a firm ride.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=324

The Continental DWS 06+ seems to have basically comparable performance, and maybe a little less noise/roughness. And it's usually cheaper than the Bridgestone, comparing common sizes. But I don't think Costco carries Continental.