Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

bad_fmr posted:

Holy poo poo do the US system tape measures actually not follow any standard with their markings and increments? Like, what the three little lines mean can vary from one tape to the next, and you cannot know what they are unless you know the specific tape? Incredible :psyduck:

these are both the same ruler

i have a tape measure that has tenths of a foot, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
id think youd want at least an 8" wheel for 245s. i just put 235s on some 15x8s, and the fit is about perfect. with 18s youd have a lot less sidewall height, so any bulge is going to be a lot more pronounced.

then again i do also have 255s on 7" wheels on a different car, and its fine, but it doesnt look right and it wallows around more than i would like.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Volguus posted:

When I coldly calculate the $, ugh.

never do this, what the hell man

we are all best off not knowing

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i recently noticed that one of my truck's tires was looking a little low, and it had got down to 8psi. it was driving mostly normal even at that point, so im guessing 32 vs 34 isnt going to make a noticeable difference unless you're doing some real performance driving

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone finally did official testing on tire width vs wheel width... matches up with what 949 Emilio / Andy Hollis have been saying for like a decade. Maybe now the stigma towards a non bubbled sidewall can die

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

thats interesting, i guess the stretched tire guys were onto something.

i was planning to go for square 275s on 18x9.5 wheels, but now it sounds like i should shoot for a 245 or 255 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

They also quoted me $2,302 out the door. I see I can order the tires myself online for about $410 each, which means after parts they're asking roughly $650 for labor, tax, and everything else. Is this a reasonable price to have old tires removed and new tires mounted?

sounds like you're not going this route anyway, but i just wanted to point out that the answer to this is "lmao no". i usually pay 18-25 each to have tires mounted, though i bring em in loose rather than on the car. i wouldn't expect labor to be more than like $150 for a mount and balance. probably wherever you're looking is marking the tire price up significantly.

since you're looking at michelins, it's worth pointing out that costco does free mount and balance now (i.e. it's baked into the price). they can be weird about only installing the exact oem size, though.