Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking to buy some all seasons for my Odyssey. Michelin cross climate 2 or defender 2 are what I'm looking at since they're going on sale at Costco on the 28th. The defenders are a newer tire so I don't know much about them but have heard the cross climate is a great tire all around including snow but noisy and harsher. The newer defenders supposedly have less grip overall and aren't as good in the snow but last longer (80k vs 60k warranty) and are quieter/ride better. I've got some older defenders on the car now that made me confident enough to not buy snow tires and wheels since they were good enough in the snow. The interior is noisy as hell anyway because it's a big rear end van so maybe noise is less of a concern. They're not far off on price, like 20 or 30 bucks different per with the cross climate being more expensive.

Help my indecisive rear end choose. The defenders are probably good enough but my race van will have more grip with the cross climates...:getin: I just got there not too harsh and loud. Anybody have experience with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Detroit area. We don't get lake effect snow and it's been pretty mild the last few years. I still have to commute a couple times per week.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Alright thanks.

10 years? Won't they be cracked and dry rotted by then? I thought tires had about a 5 year lifespan or so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Michelin will be on sale at Costco soon and Bridgestone is on promo now. Wife's car has a set of winters already and will need new tires for her "rest of year" wheels. What should I put on her outback? I'm thinking whatever they have for cheapish is probably sufficient. I know the Bridgestone will be cheaper but not sure if there's anything to actively avoid.

No spirited driving, just commuting really. Michigan so poo poo roads and it's pothole season.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Sure, but the cheapest tires at Costco are still pretty decent.

Exactly. I'm not buying Chinese no name tires or something. I went with the Bridgestone alenza ultra since they seemed to have better reviews than the michelins that were about the same price.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd take more sidewall for the same price.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Looking through the user reviews, there are quite a few with complaints about extremely short tread life. Like sub-10k miles.

Also, just in case you didn't notice, the closeout price is on "2020 production" tires. I'm not sure I want to buy "new" tires with that much age on them.

When they won't last 10k miles, I don't see the problem with age. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

There are SAE standards for everything and then there's these jokers.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the cross climate 2? They'd be going on an F30 330i RWD that does a long daily highway commute in Missouri. So 4 seasons with winter being hit or miss on snow with some ice thrown in. I have a second wheelset with winters on them but feel weird having a winter set and then an all season set since actual summers aren't going to happen for fuel mileage and longevity reasons.

The main complaints I've seen about them are additional noise and a noticeable mpg hit but that might be people coming from LRR tires?

I put them on my fatass van ('12 Odyssey) and they were fine in Detroit last winter. That car has a ton of mass to it and we didn't get much snow last winter, though. I don't calculate mpg and big vehicles like this are loud as gently caress anyway so I didn't notice much difference to what it had before (michelin defender I think).

I think it's silly to have a sporty car with a dedicated summer set of wheels with compromise tires, personally. You do you though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

priznat posted:

Posted this in the questions thread after a quick look for a tire thread but didn’t see this one until someone asked about a tire thread. So this seems like the right spot.

I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.

Tire rack is pretty good for inputting a car and seeing if they offer a smaller size for winters. You can see the specs of the wheels they offer and order wherever. The offset is going to be pretty important if 18s do fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have the cross climate on my fat rear end van in Michigan as my only wheel and tire set. It's pretty decent in snow and fine otherwise.