Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think it's a good idea to have a spare set of wheels with winters if you think you might need them - you don't have to swap them on if it's mild weather, and it frees you up to have more performance oriented tyres for normal use without worrying about how they handle cold weather.

I didn't put my winters on this year, didn't feel the need (I'm running Michelin PS4 on my daily). Depends on the car, too, some stuff's not quite so bad in mild winter weather, other stuff can be loving awful to the point it won't move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say it probably is, yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The cost being 40-50% of a new tyre sounds a bit off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Try using an online calculator like this to confirm potential alternative tyre sizes match the diameter of what you currently use:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Crossposting from the chat thread, as I typed it up there, then immediately remembered we had this thread!

There's a discount code that ends tonight so I'm thinking of getting my order for winter tyres in early. Just tryign to decide on size.

Standard tyre size is 195/45R15

Book winter size is 185/55R14, which is a match on diameter, but the most expensive option, and still quite wide for such a light car. Though by "most expensive", I mean there's like £10 a tyre difference across the total price range.

Cheapest is 155/65R14, but that may be going TOO narrow tbh (wheels are 5.5").

So compromise sizes of 165/60R14 or 175/60R14 are on the table.

The 175s are still cheap and where I'm thinking of going as a good middle ground.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 27, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, I'm a bit limited in tyre choice in 195/45R15, and it effectively boils down to the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3, the Continental ContiSportContact 2, or possibly the Uniroyal Rainsport.

I like Continentals, but CostCo have an offer on Goodyears that makes them a very good price, and they are the "correct" original fitment for the car.

Any reason not to get those? I've heard they're sometimes considered a little noisy, but can't imagine they're any worse than the Firestones on there now (they have plenty of tread, but I want to take the opportunity to change them). Tread life and fuel economy are effectively irrelevant to me, I just want premium dry/wet non-winter performance.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

track day bro! posted:

GSD3 and Contisport Contact 2 are almost 10 years old. I've ran both GSD3's were brilliant and I found the contis wore out quickly and weren't very good in the wet. Rainsport is meant to be great, but some people complain about soft sidewalls on em.
Yes, it's a limitation of wanting a somewhat old-school hot hatch tyre size, it's mostly older tyre models.

The soft Uniroyal thing wouldn't concern me as it's a light car (I have RainExpert 3s on another car), but the offer Costco have on make the Goodyears the same price if not a hair cheaper.

I'm probably going to get the Goodyears.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplaTRkPjTg

I never knew that American "all season" tyres weren't quite the same as european ones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I will hopefully have new tires waiting for me when I get home. How do I tell which side is out if they're directional? I'm taking them to a shop, I just want to make sure they do it right.
They will say on the sidewall. Either an arrow showing direction for directional tyre, or which face is outside/inside for asymmetric ones.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
215/50R17?

Michelin CrossClimate are probably a good choice if want an all-rounder with winter capability, Pilot Sport 4 if you want a very good wet & dry tyre with a performance bias.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's odd, I think I had those Michelins on my Zoe, and they were fine. Might be a "US market versions are poo poo" situation?

I think it really depends whether you want better tyres year round, or you specifically want better tyres for winter use?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LRADIKAL posted:

Winter driving is what I want. Also, we cross the pass on Thanksgiving to get to the tri cities, which is usually fine. It's also the primary vehicle if it is snowing.
In that case, in your position, I would get a spare set of wheels shod with tyres that have the best winter performance, irrespective of wear rate or other preformance attributes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
7 degrees C is the normal advised changeover point, so generally, if it's consistently single figures (in celcius, we're not animals), running winter tyres is fine.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How is 40k miles a "short" lifespan?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

simplefish posted:

Thing is they've worn down on the shoulders, kinda looked melted like it's been doing donuts? But still got legal tread depth in the middle.
Been run underinflated.

Outside chance it's been run on a car with bad alignment and worn one edge, then a very cheap owner has had someone swap the tyres left to right "to even it out".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Now I'm torn. Do I need a Sexy Beast? A Kitty Kat? A Chubby Nubby?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd say go with the Michelin PS4 if you can get it in a suitable size. They're not really "all season", but they're good wet or dry, and I have driven them in freezing conditions without mishap.

I'd run a separate set of winter tyres if you actually need winter capability.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

devicenull posted:

They're either the best tire ever, or they wear out very fast. I can't quite figure out how the experiences are so different.
People are weird with expectations of tyre life.

Buy the best/stickiest poo poo that lasts 20k under your usage criteria, any more than that is a bonus.

(Edit: I typoed that to 10k originally, which yeah, is a bit bad!)

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 27, 2019

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

biglads posted:

Ah OK thanks.

PS4s are available in that size. About £100 each more than the Hankooks though.
I've used Hankook winter tyres a couple of times and got on with them, plus Jon from Tyre Reviews rates their stuff, so if you're saving the best part of £400 a set by getting them, I can't imagine it's the worst choice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

simplefish posted:

If I have tyres that have the direction marked on the outside, to do a rotation does the rubber have to be swapped around rims? Or is it just front/back swap on the same side?
Just swap front-rear on the same side, assuming you have the same size both ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Tire size is 235/60-18. Costco has a sale on Michelins

Can you get the CrossClimate over there?

https://youtu.be/YO0zyQh2l3M