Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Modus Man posted:

I have used Cooper Disco AT3’s on my Suburban in Michigan for years. I get about 70,000 miles a set, 3 sets in a row. They see mostly highway commuting and rural dirt roads. They are not as good as dedicated snow tires in the snow but they aren’t bad in the snow. I have driven down unplowed rural roads through snow drifts higher than the hood without traction issues. I have a feeling the new “4s” version might be a little softer compound so they supposedly should be a little better in the extra cold temps. I highly recommend this tire.

I just put a set of those Coopers on the work truck and was seriously considering them for my burban, they do all right on the dirt roads when they get all soupy but I haven't had the chance to try it in snow yet.

What's the best option in an all season for summer performance when you can't find a summer tire for a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Rhyno posted:

I put all season Coopers on the Speed6 two years ago and they were actually fantastic in winter. Not anywhere near what I had with the blizzaks but they were imho better than the Khumos I replaced them with. And due to multiple rebates from Ebay and Discount Tire as well as getting free mounting at Costco and then selling the old tires, I ended up being into the new set for like $260 all in.

I never used a Cooper before but the Disco AT3 on that truck was kinda the only choice being stuck in a small town in the Dakotas at the time, it was a huge improvement and didn't seem to add any highway noise. I am open to any good suggestions in 256/65/R18 that gets used for mostly highway but needs to handle light farm stuff and some towing, I usually default to the Suburban for heavy snow and light towing lately.

Thanks for the warning on the KO2's

On my other car, Jag XJ8 driven only in summer, I looked at the date codes on the tires and considered myself very lucky even though they pretty much have full tread. I cant find a summer tire in 225/60/R16 and if I'm driving spirited I can break the rear loose too easily. I believe I can go up or down slightly but I'd want to do a lot of measuring first.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The Michelin pilot sport all-seasons will be perfect for that car. I have them on my MR2 and it’s a great combo of being tolerant of all weather, a great “feel”, and enough grip but not so much that my transmission is at risk.

I have the PS3AS3 but I think they’re up to 4’s now. I’m almost positive they come in that size, or something extremely close.

I’m a Michelin whore. Never regretted a Michelin but I’ve regretted others.

They don't make them in that size unfortunately, at least I have all winter to find something so I can take the car out and do some measuring in the wheel wells on the next warm day.

My first experiences with Michelins was quite negative but I can put that to them being the OEM low rolling resistance on my MKV Jetta. You could light them up with the clutch all the way out in 2nd, after the tune/exhaust they would light up effortlessly in 3rd as soon as the boost came on. I'll blame that on the low rolling resistance as I've heard other people say they had good experiences with them.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any opinion on Laufenn or Ironman tires in AT style? They'd be going on my 03 suburban that gets used as a winter beater and light farm work.

Random reviews mention road noise but nothing terrible. They just seem to be like an off brand of Hankook and Cooper.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Laufenn is made by Hankook, as in it's like their off brand tire. Ironman has some kind of relation with Cooper. They're both significantly cheaper than the Coopers I was looking at and in asking because I've heard next to nothing about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any recommendations for 12R 22.5 tires? These are for a Bluebird Wanderlodge that needs drive, steer, and tag axle tires. If anyone has a recommended shop in or near Wisconsin that would be appreciated as well.