Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

luminalflux posted:

I have no idea how to tires. I bought my '19 CrossTrek new and it's gotten us like 33k miles on these tires - Falken Ziex ZE 001 A/S 225/55 R18. They've got 4mm (1/8"?) tread left on them - about when should I think about replacing them? And with what - our driving is 90% bay area freeway / city, 10% going to Tahoe in the winter so I'd prefer all-season m+s to skip chain controls.

+1 for using tire rack reviews and testing to pick a set. Their recommend installer thing can work well too. A lot of places are cheaper if you setup the install through tire rack and you can have the tires shipped straight there.

I put more weight into the office tire rack opinions vs the user ones.

Costco is my other tire go-to. Good prices for tires and mount / balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I can't speak for how they are on trucks.

Costco sells blizzaks so if you have one near by be sure to price it there too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Volguus posted:

Does anyone here have a Veloster N? They have these huge breaks on them and apparently (according to YouTube) not any wheel would fit. I will need winter tires soon and I was wondering if youtube is correct and I should just go get the tires from the local Hyundai dealer or can I save a buck and go to costco or others? The costco website seems to think that only 19'' tires fit when the manual specifies that 18'' would fit as well. I have currently 19'' Pirelli summer tires, so I have to get winter tires in Ontario. Driving with these in the winter would be suicide.

I will definitely want alloys, since aesthetics matter, but I'm not gunning to waste more $ than I have to (gas is $1.67/L , that's plenty of wasted $).

The biggest thing with fitting aftermarket wheels around brakes is matching the specific wheel and brakes.

On my car 17x9 +35 or +45 fit fine but if I want a big brake kit later only the +35 will clear. All this is true for enkie rpf1s and the AP racing brakes. Other wheels and brakes were different.

Everything tire rack has told me would fit worked.

If you want to really be sure order the wheels without tires and put one on by hand only. If you put a lugnut on they won't let you return it. Same if you mount tires.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

anyone tried the goodyear eagle exhilarate? or the new conti dws 06+? or as4?

there's a sale right now at discount tire direct, 110 off a set (and an extra 70 off the goodyears)

i just ordered RPF1s for the new brz but still need to get all season tires and TPMS

What size and offset did you go with?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

17x8 +45

also ended up going with the Goodyear eagle exhilarate in 225/45/17

Should be fun. I went 17x9 +35 and I think it might be a little much.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CerealKilla420 posted:

Ok cool - I was not sure if it would improve the ride or not. I just know that all the luxury car makers like the low profile tires which are expensive and like to rip themselves on potholes/curbs. For some reason I thought that maybe low-pros were smoother or something... Do they just put them on luxury cars because they look cool? I feel like there isn't much of an advantage there...

Also doors are super tall now for side impact and that messed up car proportions without big wheels to match.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

DrChu posted:

Am I crazy for considering a set of Cross Climate 2 as winter tires for my BRZ?

I've been using a set of Michelin X-Ice that still have decent tread left, but are getting old and last winter had some traction issues I didn't have in the past. I was leaning towards getting another set as they weren't bad in prior years, but reading reviews for the CC2 they seem to have pretty decent snow performance, and my area (Philadelphia, in the city) doesn't get much snow accumulation, so I'd mostly be dealing with cold temperatures and slush after the times it does snow. I work mostly remote now so I'm only driving a couple times a week.

I got blazzak lm-32s for my BRZ and they're great for the winter. The car still feels sporty and very good cold/wet/snow performance.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found out last week that my car's tires are inflated to about 40 PSI instead of the 32 they are supposed to be at. I'm going to let them down to the right pressure, but are there any trouble signs I should check for? I've driven them like 6-8k miles on presumably this pressure since I hadn't checked after they got installed. Uneven treadwear focused on the middle I would guess? I learned my lesson about checking them a couple installations back on my other car because the quick tire shop in town inflated them to 50PSI instead of 30/28 but I didn't think to check this car until I was airing up another car.

They'll be fine.

Be sure to recheck them whenever the seasons change. They'll go low when it turns cold and high when it warms up.

Set the pressure when the tires are at ambient temp. The door pressures assume they're not hot and the pressure will go up as you drive.

Check your spare when you do this too. Nobody ever thinks of their spare tire.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No offense meant, I leaned towards oversharing vs leaving information unsaid.

Personal record from a tire shop was 50/32/32/15. :wtc:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

This is probably a stupid rear end question, but here it is.

One of my tires went flat, and I put on the spare. It's a small donut, not a full size. My normal tire shop is closed because of the holiday, and I went to a couple of others that were slammed with a 3+ hour wait. I decided I didn't want to spend the entire day dealing with this, so I just went home. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I have to work, though, and if I get this thing fixed in the morning, I'll miss half the work day. Which honestly isn't a big deal, but I'd rather avoid it. I'm off Wednesday.

I don't really want to drive to work on the donut, because it's a long drive and I don't trust the donut at all. I have a good tire on a full sized wheel sitting in my garage, but it's a different size than my others. It's a fair bit bigger than my others (but then, the donut is a fair bit smaller). Would it make any sense to temporarily put the incorrectly sized wheel on the car in place of the donut? The car's regular tires are 215/55 R16. The other wheel that I have is 235/45 ZR 17.

My commute to work is 16 miles each way, and the donut has never been used before. Would it be a significant risk to drive it to work and back once at 30-40 mph?

Leaving this part in but i did the math and it's not true in your case.

It will depend on the car and where. If you have AWD then don't. Full stop. If it's 2wd you'll probably be fine on a non drive wheel. So in the back on fwd car and in the front on a rwd car is fine.

Ok in your case.

So I put your dimensions into a calculator and you have identical tire diameters. You could use it even on the drive wheels. Youll basically still have a spare but it will be more grippy instead of a donut.

The usual problem is when the diameters are different. Having one wheel going at a different rpm vs the other wheels will burn up differentials and freak out abs and traction control.

For a day or two the diameter difference caused by tire wear will not be an issue. BUT IF YOU HAVE A SUBARU OR OTHER TRUE AWD CAR REPLACE ALL 4 TIRES.

Over thousands of miles it will force all the diffs to slip constantly even when driving straight.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What year make model?

And is the spare wheel a second set for that car? Like summer / winter wheels and tires?

Also do both wheels use the same lug nut style?

If it's not a wheel for that car there may be clearance issues.

Not a dumb question at all. There are plenty of ways it could go wrong.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

OK honda to honda should be good on lug nuts. It's usually an issue putting like Mitsubishi wheels on a civic.

The Acura one is wider, and a larger diameter wheel but the tire diameter is the same.

First number is the tire width in mm. Second is a ratio that converts the tire width into the height of the sidewall. Third is wheel diameter.

Comparing the two you wind up with the same total diameter of tire. If the wheel physically fits on the studs and doesn't rub the suspension or body you should be good to go. (Again honda to honda of similar year should be ok) Pop it on and if it spins freely on the jack test drive it. If it makes a bad noise or smells like burning rubber take it off.

I wouldn't run 1 odd wheel forever but a couple days or even a week would be fine. If it doenst rub anywhere the only weird thing would be the car will handle funny near the limit of traction.

If you have 2 or all 4 wheels off the tl you could swap them all on, or a pair on the front or back. This would be more balanced but for low speed commuting when you know to be vigilant about the odd tire probably not necessary.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No problem. Good luck with the tire shop fun times.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Mursh posted:

I’m in the process of buying a new Camry hybrid and am looking at my winter tire options. I’m in Quebec and while I’m in a major city center we see a lot of snow and ice and I’ll frequently be taking shorter trips where the roads aren’t always well plowed. I’ve been browsing through and it looks like the WS 90s and X ice’s seem to be solid choices and I’ve run older versions of them. If snowy weather is my primary concern are they the best choice?

Also I’m trying to find a set of non steel rims but the Enkei brand I seen recommended earlier seems to be pretty expensive up here >$260 per rim. Any other cheaper options? Canadian tire seems to have CRW, Envy and RSSW but I don’t know a thing about aftermarket rims. Ideally I’d like to spend less than $200 per and if I can’t find a good brand I’ll honestly probably just get steel rims again.

Last question is downsizing wheel size still a thing (or was it ever)? On my previous vehicles I was always advised to go down a tire size and the Camry will be coming with 17 inch standard.

If they'll fit and clear the brakes yes you can always go down.

On rim brand we're mostly going to lean heavily into how light the wheel is. This is not very important for a daily driver. Enkie hits a sweet spot of weight vs cost vs strength. Important on a track car but for your use any reputable brand that you like the style of will be fine.

As for snow tires I've run the same brands and one other I forget from a long time ago.

The one that I really noticed was the blizzak lm-32. It's "for sports cars". I got them for my BRZ and they're not marshmallows. Snow performance is great but when it's sunny and 40deg i don't feel like my cars a pontoon boat.

I don't know how much snow performance I gave up though. I've only used that tire on that car.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The tires you put on the 16s vs what's on there now will be the only change. Could raise or lower depending.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

6 was what I remember being the rule of thumb.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Someone finally did official testing on tire width vs wheel width... matches up with what 949 Emilio / Andy Hollis have been saying for like a decade. Maybe now the stigma towards a non bubbled sidewall can die

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=296

Thanks for linking that. Next tires might be skinnier. Their description of 245s on 9s matches what I've felt too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Clearance for wheels is very vehicle and wheel specific. Tire rack is a great place to start.

There are also lots of user built databases for wheel car combos but they usually are looking for the biggest they can stuff in. Also they will forget to mention spacers, coilovers, alignment, and lots of other stuff that effects it so big grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The biggest thing for me isn't can I drive safely in expected conditions. It's can I actively avoid the idiots? It's only been a handful of times but being able to swerve out of the way of someone who's lost control has more than paid for snow tires.