Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Hello snow tire users, if you are tired of how lovely the Blizzaks are after like 500 miles I highly recommend checking out the nokian hakkapelittas instead, they are much stickier later in their lives and seem to have better treadwear overall.

I'm 95% sure I'm going to replace the Michelin PA4's with the Hakka R3 on the rear of my M3. They're going to be overkill for 98% of my driving, but that 2% involves going into the mountains when it's snowing so it will probably pay off. I'm definitely interested to see what the wear will be like. I ran Blizzak WS80's on my GTI every winter and they wore so insanely fast. On warm days they seriously sounded like peeling velcro under any acceleration.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I regularly keep summer tires on when the temp drops to 20-30 degrees F, it's fine don't worry about it just don't try to test your car's limits or anything.

Snow tires don't go on until there is actually snow.

I also do this. Both the PSS and PS4S work fine when the temps get low if you know what to expect. If you're running something super sticky for track or autocross days you might run into actual issues though.

Preoptopus posted:

So trip on this. Could not find matching winter tires (as in they dont exist) for the s600. 275 45 18 rear 255 45 18 front.
So I have Michelin X ices on the front and Pirrelli winter sotto zero 3s in the back. Oh well they seam to work great together.

My winter set also has X-Ice 3's up front in 245/40/19 and Michelin PA4's in 265/40/19 in back. Studless availability in widths over 255 seems to get pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with the Pilot Alpin 5? It looks like it's the replacement for the PA4 but I can't find poo poo for reviews on it that aren't for the non-pilot alpin 5 or the pilot alpin 5 SUV. Because that's not an incredibly stupid naming scheme.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

some_admin posted:

Wife is probably on board for serious winter tires. It’s snowing every two or four days this year, and I’ve a kindergartener to take and pick up from school. I’ve got Pirelli M+S on it now (Saab 9-5 wagon), and I’ve gotten stuck at curb twice, last year I stuck in my brother in laws driveway.
Do studs last long enough to kind of economical say, 3 or 4, 4 month seasons? Or best just to get studdable winter tires?
Tire rack recommend blizzak ws90.

I ran the WS80's on my GTI. They wear really fast. They handled the snow pretty well.

I haven't run them through anything deep yet, but I'm already a huge fan of the Nokian Hakka R3's. Drove my M3 up to Eldora today and there was absolutely zero drama. The roads were fairly clear most of the way up but the last bit was hard packed snow on a pretty hefty grade and like I said, absolutely zero drama.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've driven on both PSS and PS4S below freezing. You obviously lose some traction but if the roads are dry it's fine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

How often do those rebates for 4 tires come along? I see Michelin has $70 until the 12th. I'll need to get snow tires (& wheels) eventually but it's a long way to winter here.

Costco pretty much always has something running if you're a member.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’m a Michelin whore. Never regretted a Michelin but I’ve regretted others.

Same. It's pretty much all I'll run on my cars. The only exception at the moment is Nokian Hakka R3's on my winter set for the M3.

I just got the new X-Ice Snow tires put on the Prius. Haven't used them in snow yet but they're alright in the dry. I was able to get a 53mpg tank with them on which was really surprising.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baronash posted:

I was reading through this thread because I needed to buy a new set of all seasons. I saw that at least a few folks mentioned driving year-round on winter tires. How exactly did you manage that? When I was in Colorado, I had winter tires on from November to April, and the front tires were so bad by the end of it that I had to replace the front two before the second winter. Was that super abnormal?

What were you driving and what tires? My GTI would eat the WS80's on the drive wheels over the course of a winter. I'm kind of planning on running the X-Ice snow's on my Prius all year just to see what happens.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Michelin X-Ice Snow report:

They work. I made it about halfway up my street before "parking" there since it looked even worse up ahead. Not plowed but it looks like that crew with the bobcat in the background had driven down there maybe? The Prius is a loving tank and I'm blown away that it made it as far as it did with how invasive the traction control is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't have any complaints with the X-ice snow that I run on my Prius. I was lazy this year and didn't want another set of wheels in my garage so I've run them the whole year. We had a blizzard in spring that they absolutely kicked rear end in as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I’ve driven PSS and PS4S well under freezing on many occasions. Recognize the limitations in those conditions and it’s fine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the CrossClimate2 - it would be my #1 choice for an all-season if snow performance was important and I wasn't regularly doing aggressive performance driving that would be hard on the tires and prematurely wear them and make them useless in weather.

Also, I've had a ton of tire experience over the years and Michelin seems to consistently make tires that meet my expectations for whatever the performance category is. Most of experiences with other brands (other than limited-scope performance tires where there are plenty of options that are better than anything Michelin does) have been disappointing in one way or another.

Michelin is pretty much all I buy. I'd buy another set of Hakka R3's for my M3 if it was still my daily and I was going into the mountains, but that's about it.

I hope they eventually make the crossclimate 2 in 15" sizes because I'll throw them on my Prius.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

EBay has some tire discounts right now, $100/500 and $200/1000, the catch is only a few sellers qualify like Discount Direct and Tirebuyer

Worth checking out if you are buying a set (or a pair of expensive ones)

poo poo, I’ll have to look into that. I need new rears on my m3 and buying 2 never qualifies for any deals

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Can't find a 285/35/19 PS4S from any of those retailers. There's a 295/30/19 option from discount tire but I'll have to see how that works with the fronts. If it were a 35 aspect ratio I'd probably just do it. There's also the 305/30 wildcard option I guess.

e: nevermind, shopcwo has them. I definitely need to grab a pair. And then I found some through one of the other retailers that didn't show up through a direct search.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
typing out the size with spaces seems to get the best results? Something like 285 35 19 Michelin worked best for me but then it didn't necessarily show the tires on the sale participants page when I did that. But then it did under a general search so who knows

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tires ordered. $700 for 2 PS4S in my width is just too good to pass up. Gonna have to finish off the old ones now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What I did was type out the brand/model that I wanted and then used the filters on the side. Worked in my case but I can see how it would depend on the seller putting it in right.

Also, small sample size, grain of salt, etc, but I got some really old tires from eBay the second to last time I ordered from them. Like 4 years old, I'm only getting a year or two out of these basically. The time before that I didn't check but doing the math based off of the date code they were 3 years old already. I only ordered from eBay again because A) Nokian's production and supply are hosed by the Russia situation and B) the Hakka 10s just came out last year so there's no way they are older than that.

My tires are supposed to show up today so we'll see how old they are. The PS4S is only 5 or so years old so I think the odds are decent that I'll have something relatively new. They won't last more than 2 or 3 years anyway. I got a bit over 3 years and 20k miles from the rears which is quite frankly surprising with the way that I drive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Manufactured the first week of this year. I need to get them on asap, the tires on the car are worse than I thought. I need to find a shop that can handle them too. I'm in rural Missouri and might have to take them to KC to get it done.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 22, 2022

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The WS-80's I had on my GTI would barely make it through a season on the drive wheels. When it gets warm they don't do well. The various X-Ice tires do way better in this regard in my experience.

If those don't last look at some performance winters like the Michelin Pilot Alpin whatever number they're at now. They're more than adequate in my experience unless you're in a really snowy area or trying to regularly drive in the rockies or something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I do regularly go out in heavy snow storms deliberately, so having good snow tires is important to me. Hopefully I don't have major wear issues with the WS90, but if I do I'll go back to the X-ice Snows. I typically got about 3 winters out of them.

I never had issues with the Pilot Alpin 4 on my M3 but I ended up with some Hakka R3's which were definitely better. I didn't really use them enough to figure out how fast they wear though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

reversefungi posted:

Stupid question time: Spring has snuck up on me a little earlier than I would have expected and I'm realizing I need to get my winter tires off. I'm expecting a small windfall in early May that I was hoping to use towards getting new summers + wheels. Will I be putting a non-trivial amount of wear on my winters if I keep driving them for about another 3 weeks? Temperatures look to be staying in the 60s with 2 days in the 80s next week, after having just snowed on Tuesday. I don't do a ton of driving (no daily commute, just small errands around town mostly), if that helps.

You'll be fine if you do little driving. Even if you do a lot of driving it can vary a lot depending on the tire. I wouldn't want to run Blizzak WS80's when it's warm but the X-ice snows I have had on my Prius got run for about a year and a half straight and probably have 20k+ miles on them and there's still a decent amount of tread left.

I'm shocked at how good the X-ice snows are. No noticeable mileage hit from them, great snow performance, outstanding wear.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I say the opposite, I’d go Michelin but I’m a self-admitted Michelin fanboi.

Same. They're basically all I'll buy at this point.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any experience with the cross climate 2? They'd be going on an F30 330i RWD that does a long daily highway commute in Missouri. So 4 seasons with winter being hit or miss on snow with some ice thrown in. I have a second wheelset with winters on them but feel weird having a winter set and then an all season set since actual summers aren't going to happen for fuel mileage and longevity reasons.

The main complaints I've seen about them are additional noise and a noticeable mpg hit but that might be people coming from LRR tires?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

Cross Climate 2 would be all year tires and put the winers for sale or in storage or some such would be my suggestion if you wanted CC2s.

It would be this if I go that route. The winter set is a holdover from when I dailied my M3. They're the wrong size tire for the 330i but they should fit and should have another season left on them.

Mileage is a factor with how much I drive. Most likely gonna take a hit from a winter setup anyway even though there wasn't a noticeable drop on my Prius when I was running X-Ice Snow's.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how much are you driving?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 35k miles a year in the 330

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Gotcha, it’s a shame there isn’t some absolute numbers to determine that something will fit but I guess just too many variables. It would be a bummer to find out something doesn’t fit then back to the drawing board :haw:

But that’s the price when you get into the non super standard stuff like the massive brakes etc..

Forums or facebook groups specific to your car will likely have specific info on what will or won't fit.

Speaking of which, I put my winters on yesterday. My daily rocks 225/45/18 factory. I have a winter set from my M3 when I dailied it a few years back. The tires on it are 245/45/18. Forums told me it would work. Put them on yesterday and they seem to have been correct. Tight but no rubbing! When they need to be replaced I'll go with something a little smaller, but I admittedly like the chunky look they have.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Ck_zXa19A

Good test of RWD vs FWD on snow with good tires.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421HkK4Nqss

Another good video on summer, all season, all weather, and winter tires. I can vouch for the X-Ice snow myself. I have them on my Prius and they got it through poo poo it shouldn't have been able to get through. Also basically no noticeable difference in fuel economy between them and the Defender's I have for it. Treadwear is super impressive for a winter too, especially considering I ran them all year for like a year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

I got a set of X-ice for my new car and now I’m worried the winter is going to be so mild I won’t even get a chance to try them on snow!

That all weather tread pattern is pretty cool too

I've been debating what setups I'll run when I need to replace tires. Missouri winters have gotten mild enough that I can probably just rock the cross climates on the 330i and be fine.

Speaking of needing new tires, my step sister's Fit had a low tire. We were looking at them and :stonk:

That one was the lowest and by far the worst. That one might have been low enough to do that.

Neither of those were anywhere near low enough to cause that kind of damage. AAA towed the car home.