Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Posted this in the questions thread after a quick look for a tire thread but didn’t see this one until someone asked about a tire thread. So this seems like the right spot.

I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the tips! I was talking to my dad and he just gets his tires swapped on the rims every time he changes to the winters, he said he was told by the tire guys that it isn’t as stressful for tires anymore with the newer equipment to swap them on rims. Is that true or BS? I’ve always been of the mind of having a separate set of wheels to swap over.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Excellent, yeah I think it’s a good plan personally to get a separate set of wheels so that rebalancing isn’t required.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also for dedicated winters look at going down a wheel size or two, makes both the rim set and tires cheaper!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

About 12 years ago I drove to my granddad's funeral which was in an interior city through a high mountain pass. It was in February and the weather was clear and wasn't even below freezing so I thought nothing of it taking my RWD bmw wagon on all seasons. I just wanted to return same day so around 4pm I'm heading out and the first flakes started to fall. I drove through some nightmarish conditions of ice fog, blowing snow and accumulating snow that got so deep I had to drive in the tracks of the 18 wheelers ahead of me. The highway has an actual reality show where it's nicknamed "highway to hell" because the conditions get so lovely. I swore after that that I'd never, ever go through any sketchy areas that might turn wintery without proper tires as it's just not worth it.

Now with always having a good set of winter tires I am better equipped than probably 60% of the local drivers here in the unlikely but still possible event we get snow/ice and it makes such a difference. We don't get a lot of snow but when it does snow it dumps a LOT. Actually really fun to just blast around and be able to practice powersliding at really low speeds :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hey Tire thread,

So I have my new vehicle now and I went into the tire shop I prefer (kal tire, canadian chain) and it seemed like their computer didn't have the info for that model year. Strangely it was on their website, and it even gave me the option to do minus sizes (18") from the factory 19"s. This would be better for snowies I feel.

Anyway, I'm looking at the tire size here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/volvo/v60/2023/#trim-ii-2019-2024-eudm-t8-phev--456 and if the 18"s have the offset of 40 with a range of 40-44 that should be good right or is there still fitting/checking required if it interferes with the brake caliper etc. Those suckers are large.

The offset values available seem to be 38, 40 or 45 for the 18s. Interestingly all the 19s they have on the website have offsets of either 38 or 45.

Using the tire size site this looks like a recommended option (7.5" rim width, +40 offset) along with 225/50R18:

Picking this combo:

That'll save me a ton over the 19" OEM wheels with a set of 19" winters.

Anything I'm messing up here?

And I guess another question is can the offset be compensated for with shims when mounting? Is that fairly normal?

priznat fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 26, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

you need to fit check the wheel because the inner barrel or backside of the spokes might interfere with the calipers.
Kaltire should have a fitment guarantee.

Gotcha, it’s a shame there isn’t some absolute numbers to determine that something will fit but I guess just too many variables. It would be a bummer to find out something doesn’t fit then back to the drawing board :haw:

But that’s the price when you get into the non super standard stuff like the massive brakes etc..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

fknlo posted:

Forums or facebook groups specific to your car will likely have specific info on what will or won't fit.

Speaking of which, I put my winters on yesterday. My daily rocks 225/45/18 factory. I have a winter set from my M3 when I dailied it a few years back. The tires on it are 245/45/18. Forums told me it would work. Put them on yesterday and they seem to have been correct. Tight but no rubbing! When they need to be replaced I'll go with something a little smaller, but I admittedly like the chunky look they have.

Meaty winters are where it's at. I like to go down a size for the extra thickness and even go a little narrower. We don't get a ton of snow here but when we do it is usually deep and messy with ice underneath. I've been a loyal nokian buyer for years but I hear the x-ice is another excellent option.

Joined the Swedespeed forums for other volvo people and there are a bunch of folks with extremely similar cars even in the area so that should help a ton, good advice!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat that winter track looks fun as hell.

I have owned a few rwd cars and with good tires they are tons of fun on snow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got a set of X-ice for my new car and now I’m worried the winter is going to be so mild I won’t even get a chance to try them on snow!

That all weather tread pattern is pretty cool too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also Chimp_On_Stilts come post pics of the EV9 in the EV thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932649

Don’t think anyone in there has one of those yet (I’m on a waitlist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

First snow event this winter in my area and it is amazing the difference between those with actual winter tires and those with all seasons. The all seasons should be just parked as the roads were a bit wet before temperature plunged so a thin layer of ice below the snow and they can't get moving at all no matter how hard they spin them tires.

Bit a hairy moment where a transport truck carrying a bunch of gas cylinders with explosion warnings started to spin tires and then jackknifed across the road, poo poo like that should result in charges but WHATever, yolo.

My X-ices did fantastic and got to try some distance stops on a freshly snowed side street and they did aces. Will have to try some donuts with RWD only enabled (car has rear electric motors and front wheel ICE plug in hybrid)