Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone used the Nankang NS-2R?

I just swapped to my winter wheels and it's clear that the Yokohamas are on their last legs, there's still a reasonable amount of thread but there are chunks missing in some places and one tire is significantly worn down on the outside (hopefully from drifting and not alignment issue). The Nankangs seem to get a good amount of buzz and can be had for like half the price of the AD08s, but it's hard to tell if it's bullshit and/or paid shilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo choosing/buying tires is such a pain in the rear end it's amazing. Sorry for the rant but goddamn it doesn't have to be that way.

If you need to buy an AA battery you're feeling :spergin:, you can go the the manufacturer and get the data sheet for their models:

Some will have different or slightly more or less information but the basic information on their performance is there so you can choose the appropriate type for your usage or even compare with a different manufacturer. For tires? You're hosed. Here's what Federal has for the 595RS-PRO:
  • Continuous central rib delivers straight line stability at high speed.
  • Dual circumferential grooves and V-shaped tread grooves channel water away effectively.
  • Advance carcass structure design ensures optimal roughness and contact patch.
  • Enhanced tire block rigidity and maximized patch areas grant outstanding grips and steering accuracy.

And 595RS-R:
  • Enhanced tire tread stiffness provides better grip,traction and cornering at high speed.
  • Wide V-shaped grooves maximize contact areas and water-channeling efficiency.
  • Steel tire cord and reinforced sidewalls deliver dashing cornering stability.
These mostly apply to both tires of course. There's a table with dimensions but how do they actually compare? What's the difference in performance between these two and another 595 tire? :iiam:

Ok but this is a niche budget manufacturer, let's check Yokohama's AD08R and A052:

Other than some marketing speak, that's all you get. Which one is which? How much traction are you getting in the dry and losing in the wet? At what temperature do they start to grip?

Fine, we still have the EU stickers. Here's the NS-2R and 595-Pro.

Well that's something. Noise I couldn't care less about, fuel economy is probably inversely proportional to grip, but the wet grip of "E" is definitely a concern. But is it actually a significant difference? After some research, seems that the difference is 18 meters of stopping distance from 80km/h between A and F, or 9 between B and E. Seems like a lot, but what's the total distance? It might be buried somewhere in the EU docs but based on other tests, around 30 meters for the best ones... so that's pretty bad!?

The last line of defense is the tire reviews of course. Just check the last tire rack test and buy the best one? Nope, they (and others) test relatively few tires so there's a very high chance the tire isn't actually available in your market, your size, or wasn't tested at the same time with another candidate so the results aren't necessarily comparable. Or they're just never tested at all. Here's a test of 53 summer tires, including something called "Double Coin" which took twice as long to stop in the wet, but not a single Yokohama, Federal tire and just one Kumho and Nankang. Doesn't help that you've no idea what's the difference between similar sounding models, so if PS4 is great, is PS3 almost as good? I don't know, and it's not like you can rely on subjective reviews either because 99% of the people wouldn't be able to make a reasonable comparison.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 29, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For some of them I'd be happy to even see the TW, in most cases it seems like it's not even listed and I only heard by word of mouth that the A052 is supposed to be 200 for example.

Many magazines or other organizations do pretty comprehensive testing but usually unless you want the longest-lasting tire for your diesel VW, the chances of finding a tire you're interested in are pretty slim especially in miata sizes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The benefit of having a having winter/summer set is that you can run some nice sticky rubber in the summer, which are absolutely dogshit in the cold and even the smallest amount of snow.

I just ordered a set of Nankang NS-2R tires to replace the old and worn Yoko AD08s. I couldn't find any hard data on performance but most anecdotal evidence seems to suggest they're pretty good, and for $50/corner less, I'm willing to give them a shot.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wish I could get RPF1s for the miata for a reasonable sum, as much of a cliche as it is. Right now I'm still on the curbed and corroded OEMs for the summer (which I tried to restore as much as possible) and other OEM Enkeis I got for cheap for winter. I actually wanted to get another set for the NS-2Rs that will hopefully arrive this week and keep the old Yokohamas on this set to use up on track, but there's hardly anything that is almost nothing that's reasonably priced, not heavier than OEM, and looks decent.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:yeshaha:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol yeah these are actually pretty tiny by modern standards. But it's the only legal size and in any case seems like a good size/weight/grip as far as I'm concerned. Curious how these will compare with the AD08, they were pretty old and worn down by now but still seemed to grip well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I was going to mount my new tires on the stock Miata wheels, but even though I cleaned up some of the rash and scratches, there's still paint peeling off on the spokes and around valve stems so I'm thinking I might treat myself to some new wheels.

The ones I found are 15x7.5 ET30. Would this be too wide for the 195 tires?

https://www.nankangusa.com/passenger-tires/ns-2r-sportnex/

It's not an approved width and I'm not a huge stretching fan, but would this work? The wheels aren't exactly the legal anyway so whatever.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 24, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo

I went to measure it and while I'm not sure if that's the most accurate way to do it, this is the most conservative reading I got, mostly it looked like 205. For another look, I stacked them next to the 195 winter tires

The whole stack measured 83.5cm = 209mm each :laffo:

The inside though is only like 6.3" if I'm measuring correctly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How big of a deal is cold temperature storage for high performance summer tires? I got the NS-2Rs mounted on the Miata outside but temperature are getting close to freezing in the nights while during the day it's perfect!y pleasant.

I've seen Yokohama recommend -10c as the minimum storage but there's not much I can find about this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

I've always read to store tires above -10C and TireRack says the same thing. Around me all the tire storage places advertise that they have heated indoor storage so it seems like its a thing.

I have warm-ish storage and a winter set so it's really only a question of when to swap them on. Probably soon as the rubber is getting harder in the low temperatures anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My AD08s definitely felt pretty sketchy when they got cold. Even drifted all the way into a ditch 2 minutes from my home. Granted I gave too much throttle when exiting a corner but it's a loving miata it can't do this on command under normal weather conditions.

So unless you're driving very little I'd also suggest winter or all season sets. Your good rubber will also last you longer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I once got caught out by early snow in my Yokohama AD08s and the tiniest layer of slush meant I could get wheelspin in 4th gear in my miata. Eventually I replaced them with Nankang NS-2Rs because they were the price of boring midrange tires. I'm sure they're just as useless in the cold, but I have a set of midrange winters anyway so who cares.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from a short trip and had to swap the Miata (the Fit is still on PO's winter tires lol) to the winter wheels on the street in front of my apartment because it was going to snow for the very first time this same night. On the upside, I've gotten quick enough that finding the battery for the impact and all the tools is what takes up the most time in the process.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Testing different snow tire widths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_mIlU82Ac

tl;dr: basically makes no significant difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I did that last week on the Miata (RT660) and the 911 (RE-71RS). The S2000 (V730) got done a bit earlier since it doesn’t come out in the cold no matter what.

I love 200tw rubber
Gonna do it this weekend I guess even though the Miata's overdue on the tech inspection so I shouldn't be really driving it :ssh:

I got a set of NS-2Rs for it even though I only do an occasional track day, and it's waaay too much tire for the street... but they were literally half the price of a something like Pilot Sport 3 soooo do I really need poo poo like "reasonable fuel economy", "wet handling" or "low road noise" :getin:

The effect of switching from a midrange winter tire do these is pretty funny though.