Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm a big fan of Pilot Sport A/S3+ for performance all seasons, but does anyone have a cheaper alternative they like just as much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm due for tires. It rains a lot here and I love the Pilot Sport AS3+es I have now. Anything just as good that's cheaper?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Cross post from stupid questions:

I bought a 996 Carrera 4 about a month ago - staggered tires. It had been sitting for quite a while on Toyo Proxies - the fronts were 10 years old and the rears were 4 years old. The car had some vibration around 70 mph which I attributed to flat spotting.

I ordered a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4s and kept driving the car for 3 weeks while I waited for them to arrive. The vibration slowly dissipated; I wondered if the flat spots were wearing out back to even tread over the 1000 miles or so I drove during that time.

Last Thursday I went to pick up the PS AS4’s and get them mounted (at Discount Tire). They noticed a little uneven wear on the old Proxies but nothing significant.

After getting the new rubber on, the vibration was much worse - there’s significant shake through the wheel from 55-85 mph; definitely tied to travel speed and not engine speed.

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without “SmartBalance” and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?