Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have now had two bubbles and one flat on the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the space of one month. I love the way they drive but these tires must be made of paper mache.

That's so weird. I've had a set on my 335 for almost two years, and no issues so far. And PA roads are basically 3rd world hellscapes. It's been like 30k miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I bought a set of "Sport Edition" which I assume is an in house brand for TireRack in 16" for my E90, and they lasted pretty well for winters across two cars. Including massive pothole in Philly where it was really deformed but held air somehow. They were like $99/wheel then, looks like they're probably $125/wheel now, so what you're suggesting is probably fine. Enkei is a more known brand than Sport Edition to boot. :P

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The bolt is totally fixable, I just had a 5/16" lag bolt taken out of my fairly new Firehawk tire, lucky it wasn't long enough to damage the barrel I guess.

The bottom of the tire looks weird, is that just lighting?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone

I can remount the oem wheels with runflats then I suppose. I had been thinking next winter I would replace the runflats with pilot sport AS 4s but didn't quite want to do it this year. From a bit of research those seem like they would be perfect for seattle as a true winter/snow/ice tire seems excessive if I can just not drive with actual snow on the ground?

I ran older Conti DWS bumping into fall/winter in Vermont and they were great, though there I did swap to winter Blizzaks. In PA I've been running AS 3s for "winter" tires, and they actually do pretty well, even with snow on the ground. Speed and stopping expectancy helps a ton, but I think you'll be fine with something like an AS3 or 4, or a DWS06. An inch or two of snow isn't going to kill them, but if you can stay home, that's best. Other people have gotten stupider in bad weather, so there's that.

I did finally take off the Indy 500s, they stayed above 50* because I put a mini split in the garage and they started at a reasonable temp. :P I even remembered to clean and put wheel wax on the other set of wheels! Also, holy poo poo those wheels are hammered. Don't run nice wheels in actual winter folks.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I suggest you reconsider this. Tires are fundamental safety gear. If you ever need to make a panic stop, better tires might be the difference between hitting something and stopping short, or repairable damage and having your car totaled out.

Sure, but the cheapest tires at Costco are still pretty decent.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah my Dad and I have run a second set of wheels for a long time because in addition to the annual swap cost, you spend a ton of time waiting at the shop with the rest of the world. Much easier to do at home.

And also easy to swap before driving 30 miles in a surprise snow storm to work. Oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Jackie the Mick posted:

I had PSS on my M235i for the first couple of years, but every time it dropped below 40F it was like driving on hard plastic. My short commute to work was pretty unbearable for about 3 months out out of the year. We also get about a weeks worth snow (mostly ice) here a year, and that was just a total non starter. I decided to just go with "Ultra High Performance All Season" tires and I haven't had to worry about it since. As far as I can tell there is little difference on the street, and there isn't a track within a hundred miles of me, so don't feel I'm missing much. Of course, I don't drive the car to the edge of tire performance on public roads, so they might not be good enough for some year round. Anyway, that's my story. Oh, and they're Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate A/S. I haven't seen anyone on this thread talk about them, but they've been very good for me, which is cool, since I get a massive discount on them. I'm sure the conti's or PAS4s are good as well.

Part of this is the spectrum of "all season". UHP all seasons are fine for M235i etc, but regular rear end all seasons like the Pirelli Cinturato poo poo BMW puts on CPO cars are "eh I guess" for xi cars. Sadly, they're lovely on RWD cars, I had them on after swapping the 335 to RWD mode and man they just slip. Next year the daily is getting fun tires. Or I'm putting new wheels and fun tires on the 335 and just moving those summers to the daily. We'll see how irresponsible I'm feeling in the spring.