Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Any goon looking for ride comfort, I can recommend Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS Plus II.
They really round off harsh impacts and smaller imperfections are a non event.

My winter set are on the same 19" wheels, Continental Viking Contact7; when driving over a brick road I could feel and hear each individual brick.
These Pirellis just smooth out all that out. Very pleased.
Steering and grip fwiw, is "good enough".

The car came on 20" wagon wheels with Pzeros lol not going back to those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

The Viking contact 7 are great winter tyres though, but if they are loud and uncomfortable it really shows how bad the Nexens that came on my KIA are. Just swapped to them yesterday and everything is louder.

Yes that was surprising, believe me.
When I went from the Pzeros on 20" to Viking Contact7 on 19", I didn't feel any difference in minor road imperfections- just as jarring.
Bigger bumps like train tracks were handled better, but I think that's more attributed to the -1" sizing.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

What didn't you like about the P Zeros?

I'm not looking for handling performance, just a comfy ride so the PZeros on dubs didn't work for me. Sticky no doubt, but loud and firm.

Basically I should have bought a Toyota Avalon or something.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Tires pressure specs assume cold tires.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

You could get an all weather tire like Michelin Crossclimate 2 or Toyo Celcius, save money and not need to change and store tires.

I think every major manufacturer is making all weather tires now...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Yes look for all weathers not all seasons if you want a safe all year compromise.

Not too many to choose, but they seem to be well regarded.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

Just wanted to say that the Blizzak LM005's won the "best central European winter tyre" test in Swedish magazine "Teknikens Värld"

That's cool pardon the pun.
The test is behind a paywall, how did the Michlin X-ice Snow do vs Continental Viking Contact7 in terms of comfort?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Thanks for that, much appreciated .

It's interesting, I have VikingContact 7 and find they ride real stiff.

It bothered me so much I bit the bullet and blind ordered a set of X-ice Snow (the only decent option locally).

The only review I could find was on Tirerack that rated the X-Ice Snow nominally better than Viking 7 for comfort.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out who's right...

(I had some scary moments with the Viking 7 in heavy rain on the highway, so I agree they're poor in the wet)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Do you already have a set of dedicated summers?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Imo, if you already have a dedicated set of summers, may as well have a dedicated winter tire instead of the "all weather" tire.

Or, if you're really not fussed about it, mount some all weathers onto your 17" for year-round.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

There should be a chart in your manual showing pressures for various sizes.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Can you run a - 1 setup for your winters?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Audi has two published tire pressures it's ridiculous.
The door jamb placard quotes max load pressures and the manual states normal load. It's like 12 psi different.

This is a big reason why people say Audi ride quality sucks; they're all riding on over inflated tires.

Dealer will only inflate per the door jamb placard so I have to deflate to nominal pressure myself after every service like a peasant.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I just put Cross Climate 2s on my Volvo V90.
Not noticing any difference in noise, but a bit disappointed by the ride quality.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

priznat posted:

Posted this in the questions thread after a quick look for a tire thread but didn’t see this one until someone asked about a tire thread. So this seems like the right spot.

I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

I'm in Vancouver.
I recently bought a winter set for my V90cc and it was hell as the selection for Volvo wheel and tires sizes is very limited.

I scoffed at the oem winter package price at the Volvo dealer, but didn't save any money going aftermarket after the dust settled.

fwiw 1010tires has a wheel fitment guarantee.

There are several oem wheel sets on FB marketplace for the GVRD right now.

I've bought 5 sets of winter tires for my cars recently, here's how i'd rank with ride comfort as priority. For old-man driving, they're all much of a sameness in the snow.
The Continental was prone to hydroplaning in heavy rain on the highway.

-Michelin X ice snow

-Michelin PA4

-Pirelli Sottozero3

-Michelin CrossClimate 2 and Continental Vikingcontact7 tied for last place.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 4, 2023

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

priznat posted:

Thanks for the tips! I was talking to my dad and he just gets his tires swapped on the rims every time he changes to the winters

If you're keeping the car, you may as well get separate wheels as you'll pay 150-200 bucks twice a year to remount and balance the tires.

To answer your qeustion about wheel dimensions, yes you'll need to know...
Check wheel-size.com

Aftermarket wheels are a wild west show especially if you have big brakes.
Kaltire will have a fitment guarantee.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

you need to fit check the wheel because the inner barrel or backside of the spokes might interfere with the calipers.
Kaltire should have a fitment guarantee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Also do keep in mind that there are crossclimate 2 and crossclimate 2 suv. Suv variant is designed for bigger rims/heavier vehicles.

This makes sense; I have the SUV version on my V90 and they've disappointingly stiff riding.