Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I worked at a central Alabama tire shop in the early aughts, and one of the the dumbest things I saw was another tech attempt to mount a tubeless car tire to a spoked motorcycle wheel that required a tube. He hadn’t factored in the difference in the two bead areas, and the tire just wouldn’t set. So he cranked more and more air in there until the bead area ruptured at probably 90-120 psi. It blew him up and backwards several feet and tore his uniform shirt off—he had a line of bruises running down his chest and stomach from the shirt buttons for weeks to go along with a probable concussion from landing head first. I had a ringing in my ears for days.

We routinely turned down mounting tires on old split rims and did air up truck tires in the cage, FWIW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

I dont gently caress with split rims period as we have no cage, bead locks, or drag meats or anything over 22 inches as a general rule, im in no shortage of business so gently caress all that. And 9 out of 10 times its always people that want us to mount tires we didnt sell em, they want em done yesterday because of course they are trying to get to the race track or leaving town that same evening and are the type of people who hover over my tire techs looking for any reason to bitch. Im not set up for that poo poo, aint gonna have a tech get hurt, or open the possibility of the shop getting sued. Now buy a set of 26's and shoes to match? Or put 6 new on your dually camper with 19.5s? Ill make that poo poo happen all day for you.

The newer split lock-ring ones aren't too bad, but the older style 3-piece continuous ring and the Firestone center-split is sure and sudden death if there is any corrosion present on the 60-year old steel wheels--and probably 30% chance of death you don't see any. Usually the customer was some good-ol boy farmer that had cobbled together an equipment trailer from an old mobile home and had dayton-style rims to boot a.k.a. this pain-in-the-rear end bullshit

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

blk posted:

Cross post from stupid questions:

I bought a 996 Carrera 4 about a month ago - staggered tires. It had been sitting for quite a while on Toyo Proxies - the fronts were 10 years old and the rears were 4 years old. The car had some vibration around 70 mph which I attributed to flat spotting.

I ordered a set of Pilot Sport All Season 4s and kept driving the car for 3 weeks while I waited for them to arrive. The vibration slowly dissipated; I wondered if the flat spots were wearing out back to even tread over the 1000 miles or so I drove during that time.

Last Thursday I went to pick up the PS AS4’s and get them mounted (at Discount Tire). They noticed a little uneven wear on the old Proxies but nothing significant.

After getting the new rubber on, the vibration was much worse - there’s significant shake through the wheel from 55-85 mph; definitely tied to travel speed and not engine speed.

I came back and asked them to rebalance the tires. They have a Hunter machine. They tried this time without “SmartBalance” and said they got good numbers. The vibration is reduced but still there.

I noticed the RoadForce option on the machine (I used to have to have my NA Miata RoadForced to get rid of the typical 60 mph shake) but am not sure what the difference is between that and the other balance options.

If the wheels are balancing OK, does this just mean I need an alignment? I thought speed-sensitive shake was a balance thing, not an alignment thing. Is it possible that a wheel is slightly bent? Any other ideas?

This was 20 years ago, but Michelins were notorious for failing Hunter’s Road Force measurement when I was a tire tech. It usually took multiple balancing and rotating tires around the rim sessions to fix. FWIW. The machine measures concentricity and tells where to rotate the tire for maximum roundness.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

?

PS: I've been looking at tire rack and I see this: UTQG in the tires info thing. What the poo poo is that?

UTQG is the tread wear rating basically. Bigger number is better but generally inversely comparable to traction ratings. I've ran the BFGs and Falken Wildpeaks and prefer the Falkens because they're cheaper, slightly quieter and look cooler. I suspect that BFGs are the default option for a reason, though. I've only ran the BFGs for a month so far so can't comment on wear. I don't do serious off-roading, just a logging trail here and there but they seem to be comparable in traction.

E: the BFGs are lighter if it matters.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I found out last week that my car's tires are inflated to about 40 PSI instead of the 32 they are supposed to be at. I'm going to let them down to the right pressure, but are there any trouble signs I should check for? I've driven them like 6-8k miles on presumably this pressure since I hadn't checked after they got installed. Uneven treadwear focused on the middle I would guess? I learned my lesson about checking them a couple installations back on my other car because the quick tire shop in town inflated them to 50PSI instead of 30/28 but I didn't think to check this car until I was airing up another car.

It's fine. Radial tires aren't as sensitive to pressure as bias-ply.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Uncle Lloyd posted:

When I bought my truck it had brand new Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires on it. I never had any complaints about traction in any condition but I was very disappointed in how fast they wore down, I had to replace them in about 20k miles. They saw some heavy towing, but still, they were rated for it and should have held up better IMO.

I had the same experience with BFG AT KO2s. Tread life is surprisingly bad, worse than the Wildpeaks I had before, and they’re louder. I was shocked because they were the standard a few years back.

I do 99% highway and have around 18,000 miles total with 3,000 miles pulling a ~7000 pound camper on the BFG KO2s. I prefer the Wildpeaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Steve French posted:

FWIW that’s not been my experience with the KO2s; these are 4 years old with about 30k miles, though probably closer to 50% highway miles.

That's good, I might have just gotten a bad batch. It happens.