Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I usually buy General Altimax RT43s for my dailies but went with some Vredestein Quatrac 5s on my Camry last year because they were only 20$ more per tire and seemed interesting, and because where I live gets actual snow sometimes. I've got about 15k on them and they're great tires, super quiet and comfortable with tons of grip in wet and dry, even better than the RT43s which are drat good for the price. In the snow/ice they blow the RT43s out of the water.

Also tossing in another vote for Altimax Arctics, great winter tires.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

general altimax rt 43s, cooper touring cs5s, Sumitomo htr po2 ,kumho ecsta, hankook optimo. Most shops should be able to source those.
Personally im a fan of the Generals.
The new school of thought is that its safest that the best tires go on the rear so you dont oversteer in slick conditions. You move the rears to the front and put the new set on the rear. When you burn up whats left of the fronts, get a new set moving the (newer) rears forward.

throwing out a recommendation for General RT43s.

I personally cannot stand that school of thought of "shittier tires go on the front!" but there's probably studies proving that I'm wrong so whatever. gently caress understeer in all its forms.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

Michelin figured out that if your an idiot and hit your brakes at speed in wet conditions with better tires on the front and bald tires in the rear your gonna have a spin.

Ah, so if you are a lowest-common-denominator motherfucker and drive like a complete moron while also not taking care of your car, than the recommendation holds up.

For everyone else that is not dumber than a poo poo-covered brick, put your good tires on the front wheels.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 4, 2019

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sharkytm posted:

Another vote for the Arctic Altimax. It's a drat good tire for the money, and iirc, it's fully winter compound, unlike many other brands where you get 50% winter compound, then 50% all season compound.

Altimax Arctics are fantastic.