Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

The door jamb tire pressure is for the OE tires, not that I am saying that they are right about the sidewall pressure

This is a point I'm rather curious about. I never run OE tires and despite being religious about alignments and maintaining correct tire pressures I still see some situations where I get heavier middle or outside wear as if pressures are incorrect. Should pressures in a non-OE tire be different than the OE tires, and if so, how do you determine what they should be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Just got my winters put on for the year. I've been using X-Ice 3's for a few years now and I have no complaints. The dumbest thing I've done on them is drive 50 miles on mostly unplowed highways in the middle of a mild blizzard. I found I could do 65 in moderately deep snow (a couple inches at least) without any problem. It wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done but the roads were almost empty and I slowed way down whenever I came up on another car in case they did something unexpected.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

rscott posted:

I think I'm just going to go with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

My mother is at 5/32 on her set. She rotates with every oil change and they're pretty much perfectly evenly worn. She's had them for about 40,000 miles at this point and has no complaints other than that they're not doing well in the snow this winter due to how worn they are.

She particularly commented on how good they are in heavy rain and how they aren't prone to failure on Massachusetts' pothole covered roads compared to her previous tires (Continentals).

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Uthor posted:

Hello,
Winter run flats for my BMW? Size 225/50 R17.

Tire Rack seems to basically have two options for me.

Blizzak LM001 RFT - Size: 225/50R17

Winter Sottozero Serie II Run Flat - Size: 225/50R17

Are the Pirelli worth the extra $90 after instant rebate? I (usually) don't have to drive over snow a lot, a couple of times a year, more worried about traction in the cold and if there's ice on the road.

Ditch the runflats and get AAA.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Well I decided to go with WS-90s for my CTS V-Sport. I've used Michelin X-Ice's prior to this and I liked them, but the WS-90s were $50 less per corner.

This will be my first winter with a RWD car so I look forward to hanging my rear end out at every opportunity.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I do regularly go out in heavy snow storms deliberately, so having good snow tires is important to me. Hopefully I don't have major wear issues with the WS90, but if I do I'll go back to the X-ice Snows. I typically got about 3 winters out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Put my summers back on this week (PS4S). Always such a nice feeling to get off noisy rough riding winters.