Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

smooth jazz posted:

The car came on 20" wagon wheels with Pzeros lol not going back to those.

What didn't you like about the P Zeros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk what the winters are like in Baltimore but if you're keeping the car for a few years and can swap the wheels over there's no real downside to having a winter and summer set. You're only wearing one set at a time. If you're only keeping it a year then financially the all seasons may be a better bet.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's pretty common over here to have narrower and higher profile wheels and tyres for your winter set.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Volguus posted:

drat, my fears came true, but it all makes sense. The Veloster N that I just bought comes with performance 19'' summer Pirelli tires. All cool and good, but now in Ontario the weather is wacky. That is, 3C in the morning at 8AM and 11-ish in the afternoon. So I took for the last couple of days the SUV in the morning to take my son to school. All meanwhile looking for winter tires (18'' should fit, I hope). But I want this car to be my daily, it is my daily. So probably I'd have to bite the bullet and next spring to just get another set of all-season tires and to keep the summer performance ones for special occasions, should they ever arise. On one hand they're there unused and ready. On the other hand they're there unused and ready. drat this money pit i got myself into. But it's fun. When it's fun it almost makes it worth it. When I coldly calculate the $, ugh.

Given you already have summer tyres, get some performance oriented winter tyres and swap them out in October / April. If you're keeping the car a while it doesn't cost (much) more money because you're only using one set at a time so they last twice as long.

I've been using Michelin Pilot Alpin previously and Pirelli PZero Winter now, there isn't a huge amount between them but they will be better than all seasons. They're not quite as good as full-on hakkapeliittas or whatever in snow but they've been great for me on reasonably powerful cars in the Alps in winter.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is not really at all helpful but I have PZero Winter Elect on my 4S and they've been pretty good.

They have a high speed rating unlike the Nokians, I guess they're more a "cold weather performance tyre" than a snow tyre but have been fine through a couple of winters in a ski resort in the Alps. Totally unscientific but I think maybe a bit better than the Pilot Alpins I had on my previous car

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You can get TPMS valves/sensors that are preprogrammed to your car, mine were these ones HUF RDE047V26 but lots of different models of course.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PitViper posted:

idiot who waited until November to replace their bald tires.

Not quite the above category, but I'm sitting here waiting for new rear tyres to be stuck on my winter wheels, because the garage checks them when putting the wheels on rather than taking them off. 3mm left on the rears so they're getting swapped.

This thing (Taycan 4S so quite heavy and powerful) does eat through tyres pretty rapidly, I swapped the front winters last year after 2 seasons, now the rears after 3. Summer tyres still original.

e: lol 1028 CHF for 2 Pirelli PZero Winters

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 6, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wroughtirony posted:

Counterpoint: I grew up in Maine. My first car was a 1989 Mercury tracer and I have been driving manual shitboxes since then. It snows maybe three times a year here. Could I just run Summers year round and baby them when it's cold?

Not that it's something to emulate but this is what the whole UK does, and it tends to snow a couple of days a year.

I guess it depends on the car and how you like to drive it but I think this would be a good case for sports all seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have pirelli electric specific winters and summers on my car, in fact with the Porsche specific code as well. Pirelli PZero Winter Elect have the 3 peak sign.

Not that that's helpful to OP but the electric model winter tyres do exist.