Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area? I’m moving before the end of the year from the Bay Area where I have never had to worry about cold. On the handful of potential snow days I would just not drive, and otherwise I wouldn’t really be doing any spirited driving while it was cold and wet, just errands and the like. I will be bringing the OEM wheels with runflats with me that still have a meh amount if tread left but I would prefer to not have to swap them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Thanks for the replies everyone

Ranzear posted:

Definitely don't. Constant driving in low temperatures will damage them in ways that aren't apparent until you go hard on them the following summer (we're talking delamination bad, ask late C7 guys). Also their rain performance is laughable after 5-10k miles of wear, because they just wear so goddamned fast. Lots of summer tires these days are made to have peak performance when brand new and go to poo poo in less than two oil changes.

And remember that while it might be 45F when you left, now you just spent a little too long in the restaurant and now it's 39 and damp and 40+mph gusts and you still have to get home. "I won't drive hard on them" doesn't mean poo poo when you need to stop before hitting that downed tree or confused oregon plate.

Find a good UHP All-Season. This is the region for them. Don't listen to the screams about 'compromise' as if you're going to the track on them.

I can remount the oem wheels with runflats then I suppose. I had been thinking next winter I would replace the runflats with pilot sport AS 4s but didn't quite want to do it this year. From a bit of research those seem like they would be perfect for seattle as a true winter/snow/ice tire seems excessive if I can just not drive with actual snow on the ground?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jumping in to plus one the Michelin fan boy status. The only reason I really look elsewhere is if they don’t carry a size I need (like for my miata)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Cross Climate 2 would be all year tires and put the winers for sale or in storage or some such would be my suggestion if you wanted CC2s.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

I've got to get a new set of (all-season) summer tires and was going to pick up the a set of Pilot AS4. Are the Continental DWS06 a better choice? I have winters that I swap to, but I also live in an area that can get quite cold and even have some light snow throughout a lot of the year, so pure summers are out of the running.

I run Pilot AS4s year round on my 1 series in the PNW and love them, but I only did about 5k miles in the last year. I got them exactly because winters here get under 40° and can occasionally have light snow.