Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just put the cheapest tires I could find on my Volvo. Sentury something-or-anothers from discount tire, they were $40/tire. Just something that isn't as dangerous as the nine-year-old rock-hard bald tires I had on there. I considered getting used tires but dry rot is my biggest concern since these won't see many miles at all on them, and at that price they're basically there with used tires anyway.

I don't have a review for them other than that they're serving their purpose so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
How do treadwear warranties work?

I bought four Sumitomos in October of 2017. I have a little over 21k on them and the tread is down to 4/32". Treadwear warranty is 4 years/45k miles.

I have a nail in the sidewall of one of them and should probably get them all replaced.

My Dodge dealership ordered the tires through Tire Rack and price-matched them (free rotations, woo), which shouldn't make a difference.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So they say they may not warranty the tires because I have a "performance car." I am at 4/32 and they can't do anything until I get down to 3/32 anyway, so whatever. I can air up my tire a couple times a week.

In the meantime, I'm tire shopping. Kinda got my eye on either Goodyear Eagle Sports or Goodyear Eagle F1s.

I want an all-season with decent performance, decent treadwear and a decent price.

I've thought about going with a dedicated summer tire because I have a winter car, but I also have a dedicated sports car and with how unpredictable the weather in the fall and spring gets here, I'm more comfortable staying with all seasons.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

gently caress Goodyear, every experience I’ve had with their tires has sucked. If you throw out your need for reasonable prices, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 is the best all-season tire ever.

What was bad about them? The reviews on Tire Rack are pretty positive, though the Pilot Sports are a little better.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Aren't you in Indiana? I wouldn't bother with an all-season if you have a separate winter car. Just don't drive like a moron on the off chance it gets a little cold.

I might drive like a moron, though. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So Goodyears are garbage, is there anything other than the Michelins in a 245/45R20 all season that are a little, uh, cheaper?

I'm assuming I'm only going to get 20k out of these tires, and I'm not so much of an enthusiast that I'll notice a difference between a really good tire and a good tire.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?filtering=true&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=20#allTitle

Sort by customer rating, price, etc here
Looks like Vredestein Quadtrac 5s are a good value?

I've been using Tire Rack's website (and will be buying from them most likely) and I'm tempted to go with another set of Sumitomos because I like them enough, but yeah they only lasted about 20k miles. Those Vredesteins look like they'd last even less.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

RIP Paul Walker posted:

What are they going on? That’s a way bigger size than I was expecting.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Preoptopus posted:

20 with an XL and a Y speed rating puts you in the 200+ a tire club if you want them to last. The Sumi (You got the PO2)? is decent (they made Falkens donchya know, also just a wild huge holdings company) but you gotta be on them rotations with them as they are on the softer side but all that said, your car needs an XL load rating and a Y speed rating tire which the PO2 is not. You should be in Michelin Pilot Sports, Conti Extreeme Contact DWS06's Perelli Scorpion PZeros-AS or Bridgestone Potenzas if you want them to last. General Gmax AS - 05 is your best value tire and a great alternative to the Conti.

Welcome to having a fast heavy car. But at least you dont have 19's

Yeah, I had accepted the fact that I will need new tires every 20k miles, until a friend couldn't believe it and told me to look at the treadlife warranty on the tires. Still trying to see what that's about.

I think the Continentals were what came on the car. I might switch back to those actually, they seem pretty good.