Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I was going to post this in the stupid question thread, but my half assed look at the first two pages brought me to this joint.

Its getting to be that time of year.
I need some snow tires for my Tacoma. please gently caress off with the WELL ACTUALLY you should probably be looking for WINTER TIRES because *whatever reasons*. "Snow tires rolls off the tongue better for me so as far as I'm concerned....

Tire size is 265/65R17
I've only ever owned 3 sets of snow tires ever, two sets of Blizzaks, one on my old Protege and one on my Corolla, and a set of General Altimax Arctics also on my Corolla. I did not like the Generals, but at the time I'd just bought the Corolla a month or two before, and was strapped for cash and they were cheap, plus I needed rims too so I bought them. They were *fine* but I didn't like them nearly as much as the Blizzaks

So, without further ado, I need a set of rims and tires for my Tacoma. I don't give a gently caress about being a baller in the winter, so I'm going to just get whatever the gently caress steelies are cheap and the right size. As for tires, what are some recommendations? Are the Blizzak truck tires any good? I'm willing to entertain suggestions, recommendations, anecdotes etc about other brands/models of snow tires for trucks.

I'm planning on checking out discount tire and tire rack for reviews of whatever has been suggested here but will most likely buy locally, or somewhat locally.

Thanks goony goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Does the noise get louder or quieter if you turn one way or another?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Alright, here we go. Another loving obnoxious all terrain tire question.
I want to get some all terrain tires for my Tacoma. Rather than wait till the factory tires wear out, I'll probably trade them in and get something more suited for not pavement.

Realistically I'm probably going to get them muddy a dozen times a year, so I don't mind sacrificing some mud traction for on road manners/fuel economy, though if I ever get stuck I'll probably be cursing that decision!

I seem to see lots of people on here recommending the BFG All Terrain T/A K02s. Is that pretty much the default "mostly road use but also good for some dirty stuff" tire?
I think I've mentioned before that I mostly want to go off the beaten path for fishing, hunting and camping. Not like mud bogging, or rock crawling or crazy poo poo like that. So its most likely to be roads that were roads at some point, but aren't maintained anymore that have ruts and puddles and crap as opposed to crossing farm fields in spring or whatever.

Some random guy at the gas station a few days ago had Goodyear Wrangler something or others and he said they were pretty dope. They were the type that have some tread lugs on the sidewall. I don't know if thats a specific type or wrangler or if they're all like that. I can see how that might be handy, but I can also see that as maybe being somewhat gimmicky as well. I don't know why, but I seem to have some sort of instinctual distrust/dislike of Goodyear, but I won't rule these things out if the thread says they're a decent product and I can find them for a good price.

Price: I don't have an unlimited budget but I am in Canada, where everything is more expensive + plague pricing mark ups, and truck tires being more in general. Cursory looks at places show the BFGs in the 300+ per tire range (I'll be looking for online deals/sales) I can't not afford that, but I obviously want to look around and find the poo poo cheaper somewhere. I plan on switching the spare tire as well, so i'd be buying 5 tires not 4.

Ride/noise/fuel economy: I should probably get used to the fact that they're probably going to be a bit louder. I hope that fuel economy won't suffer too much. Gas is expensive these days :(. Also hope that the ride won't be degraded that much, but I guess I should expect something.

Treadwear: The longer the better. I don't do burnouts or anything like that and at least with my Corolla I've been pretty religious about getting alignments so hopefully they'll last for the full projected life/treadwear.

Weather: I have snow tires for this thing, so these are going to be more spring, summer, fall tires.

Anything else I should consider?
Suggestions besides the Goodyears or BFGs?

PS: I've been looking at tire rack and I see this: UTQG in the tires info thing. What the poo poo is that?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Another stupid question.
Anyone know what the widest tires are that will fit on a 2003 GMC Envoy?
Guy I work with might buy the stock tires from my Tacoma. His are 245 something 17, mine are 265 something 17.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks. If you don't mind that'd be dope. It seems like my tires might be a bit too big, but if work dude wants them, I'd rather sell them to him vs trade them in for like 50 bucks each or deal with selling them on FB or Craigslist and dealing with that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

PitViper posted:

245/65R17 105 S is minimum on the Envoy. Assuming you're talking about a Tacoma TRD, they're 265/65R17 110 S for base specs. Load wise they'd be fine, but like I said fitment might be sketchy going that much bigger. Biggest worry would be around the upper suspension components in the front.

Hey, thanks for going out of your way to check this out for me!
I guess now we just need to figure out if they'll rub or not. My biggest concern was with the fronts as well because of steering clearances.

Thanks again fellow goon :)!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just clicked enter on a set of 5 of these things:

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Falken/WildPeak+AT3W/28034721?vehicleid=206486

I expect them to be here in a week or two. Hopefully I don't regret this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Glad to hear that at least one person that I "internet Know" is backing up my decision. I think I might even have a few options for selling the factory tires that don't require dealing with shitheads on fakebook mp or Kijiji, or whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How much pressure should be in my tires?

Dumb question, but I've never really thought about it.

The sticker inside the driver's door says 29 psi for my Tacoma. But thats for the factory tires. I have some A/T tires on there now, same size as stock but different make/model. The tire shop aired them up to 34 psi which is a few psi higher than the sticker.

Are there any rules of thumb or whatever the gently caress that says...... anything about non-factory tire air pressure?
When I first installed them, I thought if anything the two front tires looked a bit low, but when I checked the pressure they weren't. In fact they were as I mentioned a few psi higher than recommended for factory. I feel like if I lower them to 29 psi they'll look weird or be too low and either wear funny or otherwise not perform the way they should on road.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Looking for a new set of Blizzaks for winter. Whats the difference between the Blizzak WS-80 and WS-90?

Is the 90 just the newer version of the 80?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think I got my blizzaks halfway through the winter of '16 and probably could have replaced them last year but didn't. Definitely going to in a couple months when all the first snows hype dies down. Changed them on Saturday and this weekend I get to do my Tacoma even though the wild peaks that are on it have some sort of snow rating I think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Aside from traction not being what it should be, which may or may not cause you to crash and die when your car sets on fire and you horribly horribly burn to death, what if anything are the issues with running directional tires backwards?

Does it damage the tire in some way, or reduce its life span?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Trailer tires:

ST185/80R/D 13C

What means what?

185 80 13 are the measurements obviously, ST is (blank)Trailer R is still radial? D and C are??

E: D and C are speed and load rating probably?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

yoohoo posted:

Alright I’m sold, crossclimate2 it is. I can’t hold out too long for sales, the inside ~third of one of my tires is pretty much bald. The shop said I should get new tires within a month, and that was two weeks ago. The other three are fine.

Unless that’s not as dire as the shop made it out to be?

yeah thats bad.
If 1/3 of one tire is bald and the other three are fine,something ain't right.

If you're getting tires from a shop that only does tires, you pretty much should be driving from tire shop to (other) shop to get repairs to whatever the gently caress is causing that 1/3 bald tire and then getting an alignment. Anything less than that is wasting your money.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sarah Cenia posted:

thank you!!!

I should (should) be able to switch the tires over to the other rims myself, but we'll see. sometimes it's easierless lovely than others.

but this is just a temporary bandage, so if it'll work and be a little funky, that's much better than not at all.

You'll still need to have them balanced.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Colinrobinson posted:

I'm about to replace the OEM Toyo tires on my current generation Mazda3 (awd). I've been consistent on rotating them but my alignment looks off since I'm getting very uneven outside wear on two of the tires -- I've gotten 30k miles out of them so I'm not too bothered by the age of the medium-at-best Toyos that came with it.

I'm thinking that I will go for buy-once, cry-once and put a set of Pilot Sport 4 A/S on there. It seems their dry and wet traction are top notch, with decent enough wear rating. I live in the South so we may get 1 snowfall a year if we're lucky, and very few days between 30F and 40F -- so we're not really a snow tire area, although the light snow performance of the PS4A/S look like a good choice to cover my realistic driving needs.

I know that DWS6 are also recommended, but does there look to be a reason to really avoid the PS4A/S?

Additionally, regardless of which tires I go with, I need an alignment. My (not at all a mechanic) assumption is that I should get the alignment AFTER I put on the new tires -- the tires are going on at a Discount Tire so it'll be a separate appointment at a real shop to do the alignment. Thoughts on this side of things?

I get my poo poo aligned twice per year. Spring and fall. Probably excessive but whatever. Having gone through it a bunch of times, yeah, I'd get the new tires and then get that poo poo aligned that day if you can swing an appointment that way. I've gone in with tires that weren't worn all hosed up like, just worn out and minimal tread depth and they told me they were too worn to align properly.
If you can't get it within a day, then try soonish, like the next week or something. Driving for a few days or a week like that isn't too bad.

TL;DR Yeah, get it done after you get the new tires, but try to get it done soonish afterwards.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

This is the tire thread, so maybe this is the place to ask about tire chains.

Its kind of a dumb question though because I'm not sure what to ask or how to ask the question.

What is it about tire chains that makes them work?

Do they have little points on them? Obviously they'd wear with excessive use, are they specialized types of chain for the application?

Or are they literally just actual pieces of real chain (hoisting, transport etc) that get cut to a length and then attached to each other in such a way to fit around a specific size of tire?

Do they work by just jamming something hard in to something less hard and slippery (ice) and gripping that way or is there other sciencey poo poo at play?

I don't expect them to be defying laws of physics, I've just never really put much thought in to them.