Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Before committing to chains, check if your rim size allows them. You should be able to find that information online or in the user manual. Otherwise i would suggest assessing how many days per year you go below zero. Cross climates 2 are good but they will make you use more charge compared to summers, so i would either go with summers plus caution if you get less than five days per year or dedicated winters on smaller rims (remember to clone the TPMS or the dash will lit like a christmas tree at every startup) if you get more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Crossclimates are also going to melt quicker if loaded with a heavy electric suv, check the threads often.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I'll get the Cross Climate 2s.

Are there any studies on how much quicker they'll wear? Even a guesstimate? Are we talkin' 5% faster or 50% faster?

It depends on load, both weight and acceleration. Drive like a grandpa feathering the throttle and you might notice a slight reduction(say 5-10%), drive as if you lived your life one quarter of a mile at a time and you might go into the 30% or worse.

Hankook seems to have a full suite of ev tires which might wear out slower but, when i checked last time, they had ridiculous low load indexes that might not fit the ev9 specs.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
One of the weirdest thing i've found when checking alternative tire picks for my Avenger EV is that the OEM tire (Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2) has better specs (double A for fuel saving and wet handling) than the Michelin e-primacy or Pirelli POWERGY specific for EV.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hankook ion icept, that's the winter equivalent to your current tire while ion flex climate is the crossclimate equivalent (but it has been announced just a couple months back so info about it is scarce). Also ion evo and ion evo AS are two entirely different tires, so watch out if you are making fact sheet comparisons.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 2, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Nice catch, it is in fact the Ion EVO AS. I'll edit my post above to reflect that.

Also do keep in mind that there are crossclimate 2 and crossclimate 2 suv. Suv variant is designed for bigger rims/heavier vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Out of a whim, i checked the tires kia uses in Europe for the 21" EV9, PILOT SPORT 4 S AC, which are not sold by michelin here in Italy.

Also every tire dealer that has rim/tire data marks the ev9 on 21" as "NO CHAINS" and points to stuff like the KONIG K-SUMMIT XXL K77 composites, so I would suggest to do a double check before getting conventional chains.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 3, 2024