Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Do the people around you buy winter tires? Does your insurance or the law expect you to drive winter tires?

Where I live people drive summer tires almost all year around, except if they live in a small town where the roads aren't serviced as frequently. Once temperatures get around 4 or 5 degrees Celsius, traffic just slows down a lot.

Imo winter tires is a bit like herd immunity. If you are the only one getting them, you have very limited benefits - others will still drive super slow because they don't have them, and they will still crash into you in the worst case.

So I'd do what the people around me do.

(For the record I have all seasons; there are usually one or two weeks or so where the mornings may be below freezing, but it's super rare to encounter snow or ice and getting extra storage for a second set of tires isn't worth the bother)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I strongly disagree that winter tires only benefit you if other people have them. Yes, other people can still do stupid things, but you are better able to react to those stupid things, and you are less likely to do something stupid yourself. I used to run snow tires in NC since I had them anyway, and the two times a year that it was snowy and icy it was a massive benefit, even if other people did not have snow tires and were crashing all over the place like the idiots they were.

Yeah I could have worded that better. I think this winter I had one or two mornings where the roads where slippery. A couple of years back there was a layer of snow on the road and you saw people slowly sliding over the residential streets in the general direction of their direction. I probably shouldn't talk too much about actual winter conditions.