Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do we do recommendations here?
I've got a 2019 Leaf e+ SL with OEM tires on it. I'm sure they're very efficient, but I'd like something better in the winter. Is the best plan to buy some winter tires + steel wheels and swap them onto the front during the season, or should I get softer all season (all weather?) tires to run all year? Sounds like we're talking about a 5 percent efficiency loss doing something like that all year?
I live in western Washington, so it's not generally too snowy, but black ice and soaked asphalt is very common. Also the tires on this thing definitely show off the limitations of front wheel drive on launch.

2019 NISSAN LEAF SL Tire Size: P215/50R17
https://weatherspark.com/y/842/Average-Weather-in-Everett-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

Seems like you have some math to do. If your set on getting winters, getting separate rims is the way to go long term as it saves you the tire swap twice a year. Also most tire shops wont gently caress with winters unless your getting all 4. The best A/S that focuses on fuel efficiency I could recommend are Conti Pure Contacts with the eco plus tech. But like with everything you gain some and loose some. They dont do well in heavy snow. I did run them on my rwd beemer in wisconsin and snow storms were sketchy but tolerable just had to take it easy. But of course this was on flat ground. No tires are gonna be great on ice besides studded snows not sure if they are legal where you are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not buy winter tires unless you buy all four

winter tires will reduce your range - kind of up to you. i think either OEM summer + winter tires is fine, or a well rated cold weather all season is probably fine. kind of depends on what type of driving you are doing.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Helped me start learning about wheels and tires. Never had to do it before.

One other thing about the weather here is that when we do get a 3-12 inches of snow once or twice every couple years, we don't have enough plows and don't have many sand trucks, so we end up on a lot of fluff and compressed snow.

I'm pretty convinced that I should get all four and a set of wheels because changing tires sucks. I imagine using the efficient tires until it starts getting icy in the fall, and using the winterier tires until the weather warms or dries up. Is there any reason I would deviate from current wheel or tire size? Should I get used rims? Weight and looks are the main differentiators between different products, correct?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

provided you can clear your brakes, going -1 or even -2 gets you a narrower, smaller diameter wheel for better performance and lower tire and wheel cost. I've usually gone -1.

I don't particularly trust used rims since it's hard to visually inspect for issues that will effect tire seating. i just bought new winter tires and new alloy wheels for a car for like 800 bucks from tire rack. not bad.

Is that making the wheel smaller, but tire same diameter? A smaller tire diameter will gently caress with my range estimates and mileage, right? Narrow is better for winter/water/snow/ice? Contact patch vs pressure? I think I'm asking some basic questions, hope they're not too dumb.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been quoted $57 and $60 per TPMS sensor for my car.

Hey, OK, I spoke more with my car folks, and it sounds like I'm on the right track.

To refresh, 2019 Nissan Leaf with 17" wheels. Want to get rain tires for Western Washington.

This thread and others I spoke to thought going to 16" wheels was a good idea, so below is based on that.

Les Schwab wants to sell me wheels, TMPS, 205/55R-16 91H Reputation NLW3 tires and put it all on the car for $1442

Discount Tire says all that with COOPER DISCOVERER TRUE NORTH 205/55R16 91H tires for $1252

I was recommended Continental by a few people and both shops pointed me at these seemingly no name brands? Should I ask for a quote for some other tires? Do you think they care if I order tires from the internet and bring them in?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

woah there's no real need to change your wheel size to -1 on a new electric vehicle. a lot of that advice applies to performance cars (or people who like to push their shitbox cars to the limit :)

what is wrong with the tires you currently have? are they already worn down?

They are very slippery in the rain and the rare snow.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Brand/model/size?
Current wheels
https://www.hubcaphaven.com/p/25229...akaAqAbEALw_wcB

It's a 2019 Nissan leaf+ oem wheels and tires. Check my thread history for the other details.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Tire make and model. Saying "OEM tires" doesn't exactly help. Whatever, OEM tires are often chosen for fuel economy, especially on a Leaf. Buy something with better reviews on Tire Rack.

I'm telling you what it has and that they are slippery, and I want something less slippery for winter. Check my thread history if you are actually trying to help.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Hey, I am trying to help, but it's still not clear what exactly you decided upon. You're mentioning buying another set of wheels, so I figured that means you want winter tires, right? I gave some recommendations.
Or, do you want to not use what you have on the car at all now?
Another question, would you try driving in the snow like we had in February?

I haven't decided on anything. Sounds like the two shops are steering me wrong with all weather?

Let me back up to the beginning.

I have these stock, efficient rear end tires on my car. I want some winter tires, maybe not snow tires, but something grippier. It seems like the stock tires are pretty good, efficient, smooth and long lasting for summer drives. I want to swap all four wheels for the fall/spring/winter. Snow hasn't been happening here much lately, but I understand that even an all weather tire will give me better, safer performance during the cooler weather. Previously it was reccomended that going to a 16" rim would be a little cheaper and possibly a bit more performant.

I'm open to suggestions, I'm pretty ignorant about tires. Thanks.

jonathan posted:

You're kind of a piece of poo poo. I mean not totally, but the parts of you that make it out onto the internet certainly are.

gently caress off?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=81123

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

One reason for asking which tires you have currently is to get a feel for what kind of tires you are "used" to. It's pretty lazy to ask for help and not even bothering to find out what tires you currently have. Not to mention the bad attitude.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Energy+Saver+A%2FS&partnum=15VR7ESAS

It's these! Sorry and thanks! I thought it was enough to know that the tires I had were efficient and slippery.

215/50R17 90V

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Winter driving is what I want. Also, we cross the pass on Thanksgiving to get to the tri cities, which is usually fine. It's also the primary vehicle if it is snowing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is there a way for me to decide when to put winter tires on? When it starts raining? When the temps get below 45? When snow is threatening?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help guys.

I got WS80's on my Leaf, got a good price online, ordered them and had Les Schwab put them on along with rims and TPMS. Crazy how different the car sounds and feels. Definitely feels gripper in the moderate temperature rain than the eco's I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Boeing uses inch decimal for everything.