Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
shopping for winter wheel/tires...

so it seems like my wife's cx-5 could use passenger car tires or light truck tires (which are more expensive) is the only real difference going to be the theoretical max load? i feel like car tires should be better than truck tires, all things considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you end up decreasing the wheel diameter which is accommodated by increasing the sidewall height so that you end up with a wheel diameter that is very close to your original wheel diameter

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i was GOING TO buy some 17's to serve as winter wheels for my wife's CX5 but then these oem 19" wheels popped up on CL and the price was plummeting daily.

he said they were from a friend who bought a new cx5 and had the dealer put aftermarket wheels on it before they took delivery

all 4 with lugs for 360 is good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER:

Blizzak DM-V2 vs Altimax Arctic 12

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
saw this today:
https://www.discounttiredirect.co...flash-sale

100 off select sets of tires. can be doubled with mfr rebates.

(see website for which brands of tires are on sale)

I think its time for some Michelin PS4S! 170 off the set and free shipping. very unfortunate that DTD charges sales tax in my state.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/flash-sale

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just bought a set so i hope i dont have the same problem

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

I've been quoted $57 and $60 per TPMS sensor for my car.

Hey, OK, I spoke more with my car folks, and it sounds like I'm on the right track.

To refresh, 2019 Nissan Leaf with 17" wheels. Want to get rain tires for Western Washington.

This thread and others I spoke to thought going to 16" wheels was a good idea, so below is based on that.

Les Schwab wants to sell me wheels, TMPS, 205/55R-16 91H Reputation NLW3 tires and put it all on the car for $1442

Discount Tire says all that with COOPER DISCOVERER TRUE NORTH 205/55R16 91H tires for $1252

I was recommended Continental by a few people and both shops pointed me at these seemingly no name brands? Should I ask for a quote for some other tires? Do you think they care if I order tires from the internet and bring them in?

woah there's no real need to change your wheel size to -1 on a new electric vehicle. a lot of that advice applies to performance cars (or people who like to push their shitbox cars to the limit :)

what is wrong with the tires you currently have? are they already worn down?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

Is there a way for me to decide when to put winter tires on? When it starts raining? When the temps get below 45? When snow is threatening?

november is probably a good time

also dont go to les schwab for anything other than getting a flat fixed. their prices are bad and selection is...weird. discount tire or costco are much better bets. or tirerack.com

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

I'm due for tires. It rains a lot here and I love the Pilot Sport AS3+es I have now. Anything just as good that's cheaper?

op go buy them 3 weeks ago when they were on sale at discount tire

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FYI Discount tire direct is having a cyber monday sale on tires today

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

I think I'm just going to go with the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

im on my second pair (i really like them) for an all season they are a good compromise but i dont think they'll handle ice that well. moderate snow is probably fine for the first 2 winters but once you wear them down to a certain point they wont be good in the snow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

I'm downsizing from 18" wheels to 17" wheels. The stock tire size is 225/45/18 on a 8" wide wheel.

My new wheels are 9" wide. Tire selection for a 255/45/17 size is abysmal. Especially for something with a high treadwear.

If I go to a 275/40/17, there's more options. Will the 1.3% circumference difference be an issue?
This is also for a vehicle that makes 180whp at sea level. Hence me looking for "lovely" all seasons and not Auto-X cheater tires.

you could also try 235/45R17, -2.7% difference in diameter but a bit of a stretch on a 9" wide wheel.

otherwise 245/45R17 as jamal mentioned is better, at -1.2% difference in diameter.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Am I crazy or are cheap factory take-offs available for sale no longer as common as they used to be? I'm trying to find some wheels for snow tires for my Hyundai and it's been hard to find 17's instead of 16's or 18's. Alternatively, how annoying is it to deal with the cheap aftermarket wheels that require centering rings because the center bore is so huge?

Also, I've got Pilot Sport AS4's on the way to Costco - can't wait to replace the factory Hankooks with something better. I was hovering between those and the BFG AS+'s, but the $150 Costco discount that's going on right now pushed me over the edge.

bummer, I only see a 110 discount

anyone have input on Conti dsw06 plus vs Michelin AS4?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
anyone tried the goodyear eagle exhilarate? or the new conti dws 06+? or as4?

there's a sale right now at discount tire direct, 110 off a set (and an extra 70 off the goodyears)

i just ordered RPF1s for the new brz but still need to get all season tires and TPMS

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
17x8 +45

also ended up going with the Goodyear eagle exhilarate in 225/45/17

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Racing Stripe posted:

I'm gonna need new tires pretty soon, but I've probably got a few thousand miles before it's urgent. Is my best money-saving (or best value, let's say) play to order from Tire Rack and pay someone to put them on the car for me? If I go to a used tire place, are they likely to give me anything for my old tires if they're on the top end of the yellow rating from the dealership?

If I go to Firestone or whatever, is there a separate charge for getting rid of the old tires and putting on the new set, or is the price they quote you for the tires themselves inflated (ha!) a bit because the cost of those other services are built in to the price of the tire?

tire rack can be really expensive, because they charge for shipping. if it's not urgent discounttiredirect (not the usual discount tire site) stocks a lot of brands and frequently has sales.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheBacon posted:

How would people feel about running PS4S all winter in the Seattle area? I’m moving before the end of the year from the Bay Area where I have never had to worry about cold. On the handful of potential snow days I would just not drive, and otherwise I wouldn’t really be doing any spirited driving while it was cold and wet, just errands and the like. I will be bringing the OEM wheels with runflats with me that still have a meh amount if tread left but I would prefer to not have to swap them on.

you can get by but stay home if its 42 or less out. will you have protected parking? those tires shouldnt be exposed to cold weather at all, much less driven in it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i have cross climate 1's on my 4wd Element and i'm a believer. no experience with the defenders

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Crossclimate 2

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Hold out for a discount tire sale, they frequently have holiday sales and rebates that let you stack em

Make sure you get their stupid credit card for even deeper discounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
if you dont need tires immediately its worth it to get a discount tire card and be ready to buy something on sale. the card gets 5% off plus whatever rebates, ect is going on at the moment.