Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've spent a lot of time on both and the ws80 has noticeably more grip on hardpack snow and ice. It has better rubber and more small biting edges. In deeper snow and slush yes I would give the general the edge as it has bigger voids between the tread blocks. I expect you'd have a similar experience with any of the the other "performance" winter or ice-traction oriented treads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Same. Which end is doing most of the turning and stopping?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you're going with a slightly different winter tire size, narrower and taller is better than shorter and wider. I'm not seeing a good option to do that for 17" tires though.

It could still also be possible to use 16s so i wouldn't completely rule that out. 215/60-16 is a tire size that exists and is the right diameter.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

jonathan posted:

i'd prefer the tallest tire possible.

Why? Higher CG, taller effective final drive, more tire flex. All things you might not want on track.

Maybe try those nexens, the sur4, or federal's 595 RSRR.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Goop melts the rubber with intent to plug the hole. Its super caustic and bad for everything except a large portion of punctures it doesnt reach and yes It will destroy your sensor eventually.
depends how long its been subject to it. IF you happen to park the car with the sensor at 6 o clock its done.

Do you have a source for this?

As far as I can tell most sealants are just water, latex, fibers to help plug holes, and some sort of an anti-freeze.

For example, here's the msds for a can of that slime brand emergency tire repair stuff

https://storage.googleapis.com/slime-com/uploads/Tire%20Sealant.pdf

key points:

quote:

· Classification of the substance or mixture
The product is not classified as hazardous according to the Globally Harmonized System (GHS).

Other hazards There are no other hazards not otherwise classified that have been identified.

Additional information: Contains natural rubber latex. May produce an allergic reaction

· Components:
56-81-5 glycerol 20-40%
9004-34-6 cellulose <5%
9006-04-6 natural rubber latex Skin Sens. 1B, H317 <1%

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 24, 2019

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah 16" wheels will fit over the older (pre 2015) wrx brakes. Even some 15s work.

I would guess there are a number of 18" wheels that fit over the telsa brakes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'd guess your problem had more to do with tread depth than tread width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seems like 275/45 is too wide for a 9" wheel? How about 245/45? That seems to be pretty common.