Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
For mileage warranties, it very much depends on the shop and the techs. I've warrantied sets out with no issue as long as I can prove you bought them from us, and they look reasonably evenly worn. Michelin Premiers have been hot garbage for mileage warranties, I've taken more sets than I can count off at 30-40k that are worn past the wear bars. Everything from GMC Acadias, Toyota Siennas, all the way down to Honda Fits.

If you come back 30k after buying tires, and one pair is bald and the other has ~70% of the tread left, then I'm going to decline your mileage warranty claim. That's why we offer free R&B with every set. If you can't at least make the effort sometime in 2-3 years to get them rotated, then I guess you're buying two tires at full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

BraveUlysses posted:

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER:

Blizzak DM-V2 vs Altimax Arctic 12

Why those particular two? I've not tried the Arctic 12s, but I've sold a bunch of Pirelli Ice Zero FR's, and run those on the wife's car and Conti WinterContact SI's on mine. Not sure you can really go wrong with any of them, so buy whatever's most reasonably priced :)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
In Minnesota, if you wait until there's snow to swap out, you're stuck waiting 2-3 weeks for everyone else who just remembered that it snows here to get their bald tires replaced. I swapped ours on last week, luckily I can just do it myself at work. We're already booked full a week and a half out, and it hasn't even snowed enough to stick around yet.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
40k miles vs the 60k they're warranted for. But I've never bought tires for the mileage warranty, so I'm not really their target market.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
My coworker runs the SZ3 on his Genesis sedan, and seems happy with them. What size are you looking for? I like the Ice Zero FR from Pirelli, but they're hard to come by.

Edit: Nevermind, clicked the link for the size. What's your weather like? The Ice Zero FR will probably be quieter, with a little better bite in icy weather. His SZ3 are nice, but they're a little noisier in comparison. Or the Conti Vikingcontacts might be another good option.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 17, 2019

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, for that kind of use case, the SZ3 will be great. We get lots of snow, ice, and general crappy weather in Minneapolis, and we live out past the 3rd ring suburbs, so it takes a couple days before the roads are well cleared from a big snowfall.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

deong posted:

Needing help with tire selection.
I have an 07 Toyota Sienna AWD. 225 60r17 currently. I couldn't really tell what tire I had except Micheline Green X tires. I tried to look but its cold as gently caress, and I couldn't read a model. No real issues with the tire in the 2 years I've had the van.

I live in Denver, mostly drive to the mountains, summer (biking) and winter (snowboarding), so looking for a good all situation tire. I imagine that doesn't actually exist?

Looking for all-weathers with snow emphasis I think. I dont have the space to have a set of tires not in use. Looked at tirerack.com but I will probably buy local to have them installed and local warranty.

Tire rack suggests GOODYEAR - ASSURANCE MAXLIFE @ $151.00 a tire.

e: what about the Michelin CROSSCLIMATE+? I think I saw it getting talked about, and DiscountTire has a 100$ rebate for cyber monday crap

Try the Goodyear Weatherready over the Maxlife if you want good snow traction. Otherwise the Crossclimate is supposed to be good in snow, but I don't expect they'll be very good if it's icy at all.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
FWIW, I sell way more KO2s than Duratracs. And people generally seem happier with the onroad manners of the KO2. Most of the Duratracs go to Wranglers, but plow guys, landscapers, and contractors seem to love the KO2s.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I had the older Grabber AT2 on my old Grand Cherokee, and I loved them. Great bite in the snow, and well mannered enough that they weren't bad on the highway either.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
All our machines at work use the second style. They're definitely faster and easier to use. I hate the locking style like that, my emergency inflator uses it.

They do eventually wear out the o-ring inside and need to be replaced. We usually replace them every couple years when they start to leak when inflating a tire.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, light weather checking is pretty common on Michelins of that vintage. My PSS's don't have any, but almost every passenger and truck tire I see come through has it to varying degrees, especially in the tread grooves.

As long as you don't see the fabric cords at the bottom of the cracks, I wouldn't be concerned.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

MarsellusWallace posted:

Probably not current but about 10 years ago a Bridgestone technical advisor warn me that even moving cars equipped with their summer tires below freezing could be destructive (might have been 40°f?). That was in the context of importing thousands of vehicles though, so they were necessarily very conservative. My Honda owners manual for 2020 has basically the same warning for 40°f so it must still be true enough to justify the warning.

Is there a modern 'sporty' winter tire? I live in Philly so we don't get much real winter, mainly wet and in the 20s/30s so regular winter tires seem a bit too focused on snow/ice grip and severe cold at the expense of wet and cool grip.

"Sporty" in the context of winter tires is probably very subjective, but I'd look at something in a V/H-rated winter tire. I've got the Continental WinterContact SI on my Legacy GT, and they're sportier than some of the real soft winter tires like the Goodyear Ultragrip Winters or the Altimax Arctics. Otherwise the Michelin X-Ice or the Pirelli Sottozero II or Pzero winters are meant for "sporty" sedans that don't want to sacrifice as much dry/wet grip for having better subzero and deep snow traction. My wife has the Ice Zero FR from Pirelli, and they're still an H-rated tire, but they're a little softer feeling than the Continentals. Grip in the cold/wet/snow/ice is excellent though.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
You can also just buy the aluminum TPMS stems and put them in with no sensor. Schrader part #34000, comes with the stem, nut, gasket, core and cap. But otherwise yes, you can also get the high pressure LT truck/RV clamp in stems that would do what you want.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've got the Pzero As+ on my car, and my wife's has the P7 as+. The Pzero definitely have a bit more impact noise, and a little more road noise in general. If you're looking for comfort and still having good feedback, it's hard to complain about the P7 as+ or +2. I'm sure adding some sidewall going from a 20" to a 19" helped.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Toe will kill any tire quickly, not just Nokians. I'd say it's probably the #1 reason people try to claim mileage warranties, even when we tell them to have their alignment checked after seeing the condition of the old tires. Excessive camber will wear a lot slower, but excess toe will scrub the poo poo out of a set of tires in very short order.

Regarding all weather tires, look for the Goodyear Weatherready or the Michelin CrossClimate 2. They've both been very well received here in MN, and the Goodyear have been doing well with respect to mileage warranties.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Anecdotally, we've been having a poo poo time getting anything Michelin in particular at work. Lots of the Defender LTX, CrossClimate2, and the BFG KO2 are either hard to track down or on an 8-10 week backorder.

Trying to talk to anyone at the call center is a pain, their audio quality on the phone is garbage for some reason, and I've had multiple CSRs give me different answers when I call to verify that tires I've ordered are actually in transit and not lost in one of their DCs.

Shout out for our Pirelli rep though. 90% of the time if I call him about a tire that's marked OOS, he manages to get me a set from somewhere.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

luminalflux posted:

I put a set on my Crosstrek, had no issues getting them from Tire Rack, delivered within like 3 days of my order. Thought they were going to be louder than they are based on the tread pattern. Only driven them on dry asphalt so far, we'll see come winter how they do.

I haven't driven them more than in the parking lot after an install, but we sold a shitload of CC2's last fall/winter, and the reviews from the customers have been universally positive. They're usually priced under the Weatherreadys from Goodyear too, which is probably half Michelin being aggressive with pricing in the first year, and Goodyear ramping the poo poo out of their pricing. Most of our stock Goodyear SKUs went up $40-60 in the last 3-4 months, with the Weatherreadys mostly on the top end of that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Tire rack reviews are something I skim through every few months as a tire tech, since most of our info at work comes from the manufacturers which are mostly "our tire is better than these three other tires in these specific metrics". Blizzaks are excellent, as are the Michelin Xice or the Dunlop SJ8 winters.

Mostly you're going to be limited by what's available, tires have been as hosed as everything else in the supply chain. Michelin has been telling me 2-3 months on a lot of stuff that's out of stock, and I've had more orders canceled due to lack of availability than I can ever remember before. Goodyear/Dunlop have seemed to be relatively well stocked, but I haven't really started hitting Blizzaks for orders yet. Look at the rating charts on Tire rack, then call around and get some quotes locally.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
CC2s seem to be about the only thing they've been able to keep good stock of, at least common sizes. I've had a lot of Defender LTXs on long backorders, and some of the less common Defender T+H. It'll be interesting to see what happens when poo poo hits the fan around late Oct/early Nov, or whenever the first major winter storm hits. I've already got half a rack of winter tires that people prepaid for waiting for appointments in October.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I'm not saying they're all hard to get, I get plenty of tires from both my local distributors and from the big 3's national warehouses. But overall, I've had more problems getting Michelin specifically this year than in the past. 90% of my orders get filled with no issues. But when I've been averaging 60-70 sets a week, that's definitely a handful of orders a month that I have to spend time on the phone with my account reps figuring out wtf is going on, if they can even give me an ETA on a particular size.

Pirelli is hands down the best to deal with from my end of things, followed by Goodyear.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Well, tire size will be based on the wheels on the car now. Generally most shops won't deviate too far from the door sticker size, our "guideline" is +/-3% diameter. Winter tires some will recommend dropping one step in width and maybe bumping one step up in height, depending on the OE fit. I run the same plus-fit in summers and winters, because it's very rare that I'm traveling on seriously unplowed roads.

If you're asking about dropping from a 19" wheel to an 18" wheel for the winter tires, plug your year/make/model into Tire Racks wheel fitment guide and see what comes up. It's probably the most accurate I've found for verifying fitment.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
No experience on the Exhilarate personally, but the DWS06+ and the Pilot Sport AS4 would both be excellent choices. The AS4 will probably be the quietest of the three, I had the DWSs a while back and they were a touch noisier than the AS3+ or the Pirelli Pzero AS+.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

smooth jazz posted:

(I had some scary moments with the Viking 7 in heavy rain on the highway, so I agree they're poor in the wet)

That's unfortunate to hear, I've got WinterContact SI's for my Subaru now, and was eyeing the Viking 7's to replace those in a year or two. Update us on the Xice Snows, because those were my other top choice.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Re: shipping on Michelin, I'm not surprised. Our deliveries on Michelin have been absolute poo poo the last 6 months. They'll give me a 3-5 business day estimate, but sometimes will randomly decide an order placed Tuesday will get put on my regular-stock truck.... Which leaves the warehouse Monday, and usually gets to our location on Thurs/Fri. Which means the order vanishes for 7-8 business days while my customer wonders WTF is going on.

Also FedEx has been a mess for tires, but that's usually only a day or so delay, because the local FedEx building is about 2 minutes down the road. I'm really looking forward to our annual tire sale in November, when we'll probably have 200-300 orders placed in 3 days, and the shitshow that's going to cause with every part of our logistics train. I've been trying to get people to place orders now, and pay and schedule when the sale is running.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, we swap winter/summer sets free if they're both on wheels, because part of us installing tires is free rotate/balance. Usually one guy will grab the set going on and pressure check/balance them, and another guy will take the other set off, bag them, and put them back in the car. I think the fastest we've done a swap is 10 minutes, but that was steelies going on a Corolla, so about the easiest in the world.

Minimum if we're dismounting/remounting is usually 30 minutes, and that's if there's a third guy to take care of bagging/paperwork while the other two dismount and remount. Plus it'll cost you $40.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Xice Snows, WS90, Pirelli Ice Zero FR, or the Dunlop Winter Maxx 2 would be what I'd recommend in your situation. Depending on your particular size they may or may not be available, though. One of my coworkers did I think two seasons on the Pirelli SZ3 before he switched to the Michelin Xice, because the road noise was pretty bad on them. I love the Ice Zeros on my wife's car, nice and quiet in the dry but fantastic in the wet, snow and ice. She'll be on her third season this year with those.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I can see the use case for summers and all-weathers, if you love someplace where you'll be out of the performance envelope for dedicated summers but don't see months of constant snow and ice. If your "winter" means 20-30° at the lowest and occasional snow showers that melt within a day or two, I think running Blizzaks might be a waste.

Here, we've been subzero for weeks at a time, and there's generally snow on the ground for 4 months of the year. I'd pull my hair out in the spring and fall running straight summer/winter, so I run UHP all-seasons and dedicated winters, and the fun car gets dedicated summers and parked when it's too cold for Pilot Super Sports.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I was always nervous leaving Pilot Super Sports in an unheated MN garage over winter, but it doesn't seem to have affected them. They did get stacked off the car though, most of the warning seem to be about the possibility of cracking the rubber with weight/impact damage when it's too cold out.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Goodpancakes posted:

LMAO, is this fixable? I probably need new tires anyway. How are the tires at Costco?

Easy fix, assuming it wasn't driven on flat.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
But.... Blizzaks do have the 3PMSF designation? It's a specific testing criteria that winter tires had to meet, and certain all-season tires can meet as well.

Tire Rack 3PMSF

Note that it's only testing acceleration traction on snow, and not braking, turning, or ice traction. Notably for A/T tires, certain BF Goodrich TA KO2 tires have the three peak designation, and other do not. The tread design is the same, but the DT models that do not carry the three peak designation are a different rubber compound for longer tread life.

Notable "all weather" tires from no name brands include the Cross Climate 2 from Michelin, and the Goodyear Assurance Weatherready. "All weather" is more of a marketing term from Michelin specifically, in that they're describing them as an improved all season tire that carries the three peak designation.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 27, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've ordered tires on a Sat morning, and called my customer back in 4 hours later to get them installed. It all depends on the distributor, how they run their routes, and the kind of volume they do. Generally I'll get Goodyear delivered same day, but we have 3 US Auto Force warehouses and a Tire Hub warehouse within 30-40 minutes, so they usually get anything that's not REAL uncommon or not popular to me within 24 hours.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, the depth difference could cause some pulling/weirdness when going on/off throttle, especially on the drive axle. The differential is trying to compensate for the tires having slightly different diameters.

Swapping front to back would probably diagnose it, as long as the front tires have the same tread depth as the old rear.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Fwiw, we store tires stacked flat at work (generally 5-6 high depending on the size) and also standing upright on warehouse racking. I've never noticed a difference either way, and some less common sizes might sit in inventory for 9-15 months without being touched.

Mine at home get stored upright on a rack built up near ceiling height for 6-7 months between seasons, and I've never had an issue. As long as you're not storing them outside stacked under your porch, tires are pretty hard to ruin.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Big Taint posted:

Maybe this is why the drat PS4s are out of stock until March.

tbf, everything I've had to call Michelin for an ETA is "8-12 weeks" recently. They seem like they're getting smoked by supply chain nonsense way harder than most tire companies.

Sometimes it's just "we're out, and we don't have an ETA" too. At least Goodyear and Pirelli can get me availability dates or scrounge around to find me what I need. Michelin just doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Off the top of my head, you're probably 245/65R17 on the Envoy, 265/65R17 on the Taco. Adding a significant amount of sidewall height with the larger tire, so I would be surprised if it doesn't rub on something. Load index on the Taco tires should be higher than the Envoy stock fitment, I want to say they're generally 102 or 104 load vs probably 109/111 on the Taco. I can follow up when I get back to work in the AM if you're that interested.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
245/65R17 105 S is minimum on the Envoy. Assuming you're talking about a Tacoma TRD, they're 265/65R17 110 S for base specs. Load wise they'd be fine, but like I said fitment might be sketchy going that much bigger. Biggest worry would be around the upper suspension components in the front.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
The e-Tron seems to suffer for the same reason Tesla and other premium brands suffer, stupid tire sizes means super limited options for tires, especially with supply chain issues right now. I would absolutely not mix tire models on something like that, even within the same brand. The best winter tire you can get is whatever you can get right now that matches both those sizes, unfortunately. that 285/40R20 is a rough one, I'm not finding much of anything available in winter tires that size right now. Tire Rack and Simple Tire both have nothing listed for that size in a dedicated winter (and holy crap does the Simple Tire website suck balls).

Are you sure those are the right sizes? They're not matching any sizing guides I've looked at.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
That's a thing with several European makes, FYI. Most older VW/BMW/Mercedes will have an inflation table on the sticker rather than just front/rear. Not as common in the last 10 years, but definitely in stuff that's 15-20 years old.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Toyo has a very exhaustive PDF on their side for load/inflation tables, if you google for it. You'd want to know the factory tire load index and recommended inflation, find the load capacity weight that that corresponds to, then use the load index of the current tire, and find the pressure that matches the same load capacity weight for that load index.

Or, honestly, just run the factory pressure. It'll probably be close enough, unless you've drastically changed the load index from OE to current. The only time I'd search it is going from standard p-metric tires to an LT tire on a smaller pickup. You should never go lower load index from OE, but generally most tire shops should catch that when selling tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on one car, and Pirelli Pzero A/S+ performance all seasons on the other, and honestly you won't (and shouldn't) hit the limits on a good UHP A/S tire on the street. I'd run the Pzero AS+ or the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on a street car if it's something you'll drive in all weather. The summer tire car only gets taken out on nice days in the summer and gets parked for the winter (MN here).